• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Can you buy weapon upgrades on 1999 mode for that achievement or nothing at all?

Also after you run out of money is it legit game over or can you load a checkpoint?

I wrote a review of the game. You may read it below, its basically spoiler free.

During my first playthrough of Bioshock Infinite I was already planning how my review would be about how I felt the first Bioshock was better. As I kept playing I enjoyed Infinite more and more for what it was and stopped worrying what it wasn't. I still feel the original is slightly better but that won't be the focus of this review, instead I will focus on why Infinite is the best game released so far this year.

Lets get some of the obvious stuff out of the way, the shooting in Infinite isn't the best shooting you are going to find in a FPS. This game follows the Bioshock DNA so if that game didn't do it for you odds are this one won't either. That said the shooting is a bit more frantic in Infinite than it was in Bioshock. The action moves at a far quicker pace with lots more enemies on screen than before. Weapon variety is upped a bit and you can still upgrade them but never is the focus of the game the guns. The shooting works well enough it simply won't to be an aspect anyone points to and says "man I loved the shooting in Infinite". One switch up to this game is the removal of the weapon wheel for the Halo two weapon switch. At first I hated the idea but as the game went on it was basically not even a factor, it actually makes you more aware of what weapons you need for each situation.

The reason this game works so well are the vigor powers and all the other new aspects they throw into the gameplay to create a shooter that plays like no game before it. At first it feels like the vigors aren't that powerful or not that interesting but as the game progresses and you delve deeper into the entire magic system the possibilities that open up crush what is possible in the first Bioshock. Vigor combos allow you to combine two different attacks to create all sorts of side effects. One vigor lets you levitate enemies in air well if you shoot them with electricity it chains to all the floating enemies. Hit an enemy with a murder of crows and that will stun them but put the crows on fire with your fire spell and now they fly around burning everyone. Or possess an enemy then hit him with electricity making him an electrified ally stunning enemies. I don't want to spoil some of the later vigors but they can completely change the way you approach all combat situations.

Then there are the much advertised sky rails where you can ride rails in the sky like a rollercoaster. You will hear others speak about how these moments where under used (they were) or that they don't impact the gameplay much, well only if you don't want it to. Bioshock Infinite is all about choices, you can play like a boring shooter if you want or go nuts with powers. You can stay on the ground all the time or decide to fly around like a wizard spiderman. At first the sky rail seems a bit disorienting making you wonder if this can ever be used effectively, oh yes it can. In the largest battles you will normally have skyrails running in a closed loop which take you to all sorts of higher or lower ground areas that all have some combat related item to help out. But the skyrails aren't all about getting from one place to another, if you want you can use it to rain down rockets from above or quickly get away from some enemy explosion. The freedom provided in it's quick movement totally changes the dynamic of a fight where the skyrails are present but again they aren't the norm which is a shame.

To further add to the combat you have your partner Elizabeth who can summon objects f right into a battle. Sometimes you can spawn cover from thin air or better yet a giant gun turret that is on your side. The biggest gun battles have many spawn sites for you to choose from but you may only have one open at a time so switching to what you need is key. I cannot tell you how thrilling it is to be in the middle of a battle where you are running low on health so you jump on a skyrail race up to a point where Elizabeth can summon in health, you get the health just as five rockets are headed your way but you summon cover right in front of you to prevent damage. Elizabeth also can throw you health, salts or ammo at any moment, usually when you need it most. When everything comes together it is simply magical, the situations you will find yourself getting out of are so insane, I could not wait to see what the game had in store next.

There is one more element which seems rather overlooked that can vastly change the way you approach combat and those are the gears, basically clothing that gives you certain powers. These range wildly from giving you health when you perform a melee kill to giving you a 30% damage bonus when on skyrails. When you combine these gears in ways that compliment each other you can potentially create an absolute power house. You can have all sorts of skyrail enhancements which can make you a semi invincible, fire ball of death from above. You can go the all melee route which when combined with a certain vigor can basically break the game because it is so powerful. Yes breaking the game can be a negative and they probably should look into patching it but just the fact that this game gives you that much freedom to adjust the strengths of your character shows how much depth there is to the gameplay. I kind of love how what gears you acquire are totally random, play the game any number of times and you never know what gears you will get and when, kind of adds to the chaos of it all (and ties in nicely with the story).

So as you can tell I loved the combat, I could not wait to start a new playthrough the second I finished it the first time. Most of my early complaints about how the first Bioshock let you set up traps and how the combat felt more intimate in the first melted away as I started to understand the deeper layers of the combat in Infinite. Yet combat is but one aspect of this game, the level design and pacing is also hugely important. I would say it is similar to the original in both aspects, especially in game length as this game is very meaty. Infinite draws you into its world in the sky in expect fashion, instantly making you want to see more. As you go further into this society you begin to see the horrors that take place. Now it's not HORROR like the first game, this is more social horrors which can be just as effective. The overall atmosphere created for this game is top notch, some games just make you Ohh and Ahh at how pretty something is and others make you feel a part of the world, this is definitely the latter. There is incredible level of detail in every new area you encounter, never does it feel like a cut and paste job.

I would say this game is more Bioshock 2 than Bioshock 1 in design as its not a Metroid like grid that you can sort of go back and forth through. This game is more linear than the original but has much larger and interconnected areas than Bioshock 2, so it strikes a balance between the two. Which is great as it eliminates backtracking but keeps the element of exploration. Where it lacks is in the moment to moment encounters which never feel as well thought out as in the original. I felt like there was less enemy variety in this game which is exchanged for many more enemies on screen. These enemies are bullet sponges and don't react to specific body shots except the head shot. You will not find any enemy as interesting as the Big Daddy, this games version of the Big Daddy is a simple big brute that always charges as you. There is also a huge lack of boss battles and the one that this game sort of has is far more annoying than good.

If there is one area that I can point to and say this game needs work on is right here with its enemy design and battle scenarios. The best battles are the most chaotic ones when all elements of the combat are present but even then it feels like the devs simply throw in a bunch of enemies so you can have fun. And fun I did have but man I would so want a little more variety in the design of these combat moments. There is this giant bird that you have probably seen from the trailers, think of all the great boss battle or amazing chase scenarios you can create with a monster like that; I am sad to say nothing comes of it. It is that missing element of surprise or out of the box thinking that holds back this game from really being an all out masterpiece. Oh and it doesn't help that there are practically no puzzles or any meaningful exploration to be had. You would think with all these powers one can make some really cool puzzles, nope. Maybe I am asking too much, for a FPS to be more than just a FPS, I don't know.

Ok now it is time to delve into the much talked about story. My review is not here to sell that the story makes the game, to me there is plenty of gameplay reasons that makes this game worthy of praise but I will say that this story does help make the overall experience a very memorable one. The best compliment I can give is to say it has a story that makes you want to talk about it with other people that have finished the game. I do not say that often about any game as most games I forget what happened in the story the second I turn off the power. It is my favorite kind of story, heavy sci-fi but still character driven. All the characters are memorable and fleshed out. Elizabeth is amazing, like a Disney Princess thrown into this horrible nightmarish world with a trained killer as her guide. The twists and turns keep you wanting to see what is next and the final payoff is so good I would say even if you don't want to play the game watch someone play it.

Graphically the game is showing the age of the current gen systems. It looks amazing don't get me wrong, I just don't think there is anything in there that really made me go wow like the first one did. The music is exceptional, early contender for soundtrack of the year. The original score amplifies every emotion you are supposed to feel in every scene. The licensed music is used in such interesting ways, tying in perfectly into the story. There are some great famous songs in there but they might not sound like what you are used to, just genius.

Those looking for replay value or content just know that there is nothing but an unlockable hard mode. The game is extremely meaty taking a good 15 hours to finish. If you are like me you are going to want to do it all over again. I played the game using the PS Move almost exclusively. Outside some button layout issues the move functionality works great. To me it freed up the controls a bit which allowed me to do certain actions easier than normal. If you never liked motion controls for FPSs this game won't change your mind but if you are like me and prefer IR aiming far more than twin sticks then this game is perfect for it.

Bioshock Infinite does so much right it is one of those games you can hold up to judge others. The story, music, gameplay, atmosphere all come together and work as one to create one incredible gaming experience. While we do have many more of those kinds of games lately, to the point where people are complaining about how games are too overproduced now; I feel the gameplay of Infinite is so dynamic that it holds its own even when striped down of other elements. I don't think this game will leave the impact the first did but it is clearly one of the best games to come out in recent time.

How can it be a BETTER version, when it's simply a linear and scripted walkthrough of the game's events. Hell, it wasn't even a game, just a tech demo of sorts.

Just the scale. The skylines made sense there and went high up with lots of air time. Just the whole map was very impressive. Just compare the demo map with emporia downtown. Huge difference if you ask me.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
How can it be a BETTER version, when it's simply a linear and scripted walkthrough of the game's events. Hell, it wasn't even a game, just a tech demo of sorts.

Yeah, it was simply a tech demo to demonstrate what might be capable in Irrational's next game. I don't believe Infinite was in full development during the release of that demo that garnered so much acclaim and hype.

DatDude

Banned
Just the scale. The skylines made sense there and went high up with lots of air time. Just the whole map was very impressive. Just compare the demo map with emporia downtown. Huge difference if you ask me.

I see. But again, that scale didn't even exist at the time. It was just showing what Irrational had in mine/what they wanted to accomplish. Even levine said after the e3 showing how he and the team at irrational panicked at the fact they didn't even have a GAME at that point. Just a short demo of scripted events.

' It's obvious that nearly 8 year old console tech held them back in many regards. No need to be upset with Irrational/Levine. Be upset with Microsoft, and Sony for milking this generation to the very last drop, depriving developers the opportunity to push there software to there highest capabilities.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I see. But again, that scale didn't even exist at the time. It was just showing what Irrational had in mine/what they wanted to accomplish. Even levine said after the e3 showing how he and the team at irrational panicked at the fact they didn't even have a GAME at that point. Just a short demo of scripted events.

' It's obvious that nearly 8 year old console tech held them back in many regards. No need to be upset with Irrational/Levine. Be upset with Microsoft, and Sony for milking this generation to the very last drop, depriving developers the opportunity to push there software to there highest capabilities.

It's still something out there for public consumption, and it's all on them for putting it out there like that. Even if it wasn't meant to be a real indicator of the game, there is little to tell that without knowing a backstory to it all and it is never really fair to assume the public will research stuff like that.

Even if that mark may or may not be because of technical limitations, it's still impressive watching what could have been given the prominence of skyrail traversal and my personal disappointment with the actual lack of them in the game. I also don't feel it is solely because of consoles, as Emporia is a very large area. The core design on that scale would always be a nightmare as the complexity of Elizabeth's tears, the enemy spawns and AI patterns, weapon combinations, etc. all would have to accomodate much more playing space.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just finished it. Loved the first few hours but overall, I don't think I liked it. I hate the scavenging aspect of the game, just like Bioshock. Instead of enjoying the atmosphere I'm furiously masking square on every trash can and desk I could find. Didn't like the gunplay either; felt much less satisfying than the best FPS games out there. And the Vigor powers felt completely out of place.

And the ending, egads. I loved the good ending in the original Bioshock...one of my favorite endings ever...but this one was a bit too much for me. Now I have to figure out what the heck I just watched.

I don't think I want to play another ____Shock game ever again.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
On my third playthrough, this time I'm in 1999 mode and I'm going for the cheevo. Hasn't been too bad so far but I think it's about to get significantly more difficult.
Lady Comstock. Handymen up to this point have been surprisingly easy to deal with.

Vigors don't let me down!

Just finished it. Loved the first few hours but overall, I don't think I liked it. I hate the scavenging aspect of the game, just like Bioshock. Instead of enjoying the atmosphere I'm furiously masking square on every trash can and desk I could find. Didn't like the gunplay either; felt much less satisfying than the best FPS games out there. And the Vigor powers felt completely out of place.

And the ending, egads. I loved the good ending in the original Bioshock...one of my favorite endings ever...but this one was a bit too much for me. Now I have to figure out what the heck I just watched.

I'd say read the OP in the spoilers thread. The ending isn't quite as complicated as it seems although there is a little room for interpretation. Sorry with you're bad experience though. It took me a while to get into the combat despite enjoying the exploration and being a fan of the original. I ended up enjoying it more overall than the original later on though.

Ok, I am trying to decide if I should stay up to finish the game. How close to the end am I?

The songbird took Elizabeth away where she seems to be tortured. I am wiping out waves of Benjamin Franklin lookalike enemies while climbing to the wardens office.

Ok, I am trying to decide if I should stay up to finish the game. How close to the end am I?

The songbird took Elizabeth away where she seems to be tortured. I am wiping out waves of Benjamin Franklin lookalike enemies while climbing to the wardens office.

Probably a good 2 hours away or so.

UFRA

Thanks for this post, kinda settled my decision on not buying this.

I didn't like the first Bioshock for the exact same reasons you stated. If this one has more of the same issues then I just won't be able to tolerate it.

OmahaG8

Not that anyone cares, but to add my $ .02

I 'loved' the idea of Bioshock, I played the demo a bazillion times when it came out, and bought the game day 1. Got bored of it, never finished it.

I love, love, crazy love Bioshock Infinite. So, there ya go.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Finished it, loved it. Gimme DLC. Would like to play through again in a bit. Played on the 360 and I felt the performance was really solid until closer to the end.

Anyone got any tips for the Handyman at
Finkton Docks
on 1999? The rest of the game has been fine up until now but this part has been brutal. I only have $400 too so I can't mess up too much and the Handyman is always standing right outside where I respawn to kill me again instantly.

If the fight is where I think it is, use Undertow to bring him into range of a tesla coil that you can get via tear. Once bound, zap him with electricity, then shoot em. Once he is out of Undertow, shoot crows at him to keep him busy. Point is to keep him near the coils. This gives you enough time to reload or get a salt that is sitting on the computer(?) panel nearby. Rinse and repeat.

DatDude

Banned
Thanks for this post, kinda settled my decision on not buying this.

I didn't like the first Bioshock for the exact same reasons you stated. If this one has more of the same issues then I just won't be able to tolerate it.

You really should at least rent it. Because this isn't Bioshock 2.0..

Redbox has it in stock (at least the one in my area does, perhaps your does as well), and only costs 1.50 to rent. Try it for a night and see if it's for you?

vladdamad

Quick question guys, I'm doing my 1999 run currently, and hoping to get the scavenger hunt trophy. possessing dollar bill machines to get cash doesn't count as using them right? i'll still get my trophy?

DatDude

Banned
I didn't care too terribly much for Bioshock 1 and skipped 2 (this shall be rectified shortly, I think), so this is already my favorite. My general impression though is that the honeymoon will wear off on this in due time, and this game's impact on the genre, on game narratives, or this generation will ultimately be much less than Bioshock 1.

A

How can the honey moon wear off or it's impact, if the game had a better constructed narrative than Bioshock 1?

Charge makes that fight incredibly easy. It was so easy I didn't even realize that was the fight everyone was talking about being so hard. Like, I didn't realize it was a big fight at all. It just sort of ended and I was sitting there wondering what happened. I was waiting for something else to happen or it to start up again, and it didn't.
You can use charge? Huh.
Did anyone else more or less ignore setting traps with vigors?
Traps are excellent ways to block off a path where the enemy AI can travel.
;TLDR - bad AI that's just not a lot of fun to fight at best and downright annoying and frustrating most of the time muddles up an excellent sand box shooter. Irrational swung for the fences and got most of it right, but they whiffed on one of the basics, something that's integral.
Haven't seen the problems you've stated. There are a couple that rush you in specific encounters here and there, but overall they hang back.
The biggest problem BI has is its impressive e3 2011 demo. The final game just felt like an inferior version of that vision.
Other than how high you actually go with the sky-lines, I wouldn't want to play that version of Infinite.

Ce-Lin

Finished my 3rd 1999 mode run, finally got to make it without dying yeah, cheap vigor combos ftw ("Shawn combo" is ridiculously overpowered) and well, all things considered this is the mode where finding bananas inside a drawer makes sense and you'll be looking for them, mashing "X" everywhere on anything lower than 1999 is nonsense, you barely need health or salts to beat those modes. There's something about the carbine that I love, it just feels damn right and it's my weapon of choice (along with cute shotgun in your face after performing the Shawn combo) . DLC please.

Even after three 1999 runs I still noted different stuff I can do different / improve, 1999 is the mode where the AI most resemble an online shooter experience, this is, cheap snipers in cheap placements, in your face running noobs, accurate as heck pros shooting across the map... lol , of course the AI is anyways worlds apart than the typical experience of an online FPS, but on hard, medium or easy the AI is just infinite universes apart.

Carbonox

If the fight is where I think it is, use Undertow to bring him into range of a tesla coil that you can get via tear. Once bound, zap him with electricity, then shoot em. Once he is out of Undertow, shoot crows at him to keep him busy. Point is to keep him near the coils. This gives you enough time to reload or get a salt that is sitting on the computer(?) panel nearby. Rinse and repeat.

I was quite lucky with this particular encounter in my first run as he glitched out and kept hopping to and from the same spots up stairs next to the tesla coils. :lol

Ce-Lin

that's what I used to do, now I just "Shawn combo" handymen and while they're stunned tear their hearts apart with my shotgun, so good.gif

edit: remember Shawn Combo is...

Vigor: Charge + Charge Aid + The explosive upgrade

Gear: Elec Punch + Vamp Embrace + Last Man Standing + Blood To Salt

no need to explain further, thanks to whoever posted it here first, can't remember now :\

alternative gear I used to maximize the Charge vigor on some playthroughs...

Burning Halo + Executioner + Overkill + Brittle-Skinned

Seriously, why were so many people having trouble with the
Ghost of Lady Comstock? I just fought her a second time and it was easier than the first (didn't die this time). That dollar bill machine in the back corner really helped things. Return to Sender, people!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Thanks. Will try that out.

Man, I hope I find the last 2 Voxophones and last Sightseer location before I finish my 1999 playthrough. I have no idea where they could be and I don't want to force myself to do another playthrough just for those since it won't be fun.

How can the honey moon wear off or it's impact, if the game had a better constructed narrative than Bioshock 1?

I don't know that I necessarily agree that it does. It's been a long while since I played Bio 1, I'll have to revisit it I suppose. Infinite doesn't really try to transcend the franchise muchtheless the genre like Bioshock attempted to, so I just don't see it being thought of down the road as something over and above part 1. Personally, I think I'll still enjoy it more than Bioshock 1 years from now, but I'm not actually a Bioshock fan.

The thing this game has most made me want to do is play Bioshock 2, so I think that will be my next destination since my year is mostly free until Far Cry:BD and TLoU.

ArynCrinn

Banned
IgLctE5.png

It's always that last telescope....

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Rent this before making up your mind. The distinction between this and bio 1 is the 'how' not the "what". This is vastly an improvement over 1 and, mechanically, they play nothing alike. There's only one bit in third act where the scavenging becomes a tad overwhelming

Oh I dunno if I'd say that. Mainly there are two huge additions: the Skylines (which are actually quite cool and open up the levels nicely) and Tears, which were a disappointment for me. The idea of only opening up one tear at a time sounds like it would open up some neat gameplay choices (should I open this tear to medical supplies, cover, or a sentry gun?) but ultimately it doesn't really add anything since the player can open tears quickly without consequence. "Hey, open this tear for health, now open it for guns, ok now open the sentry gun and I'm done with tears in this level."

The gunplay feels just as unprecise as Bioshock, which the devs don't seem to know since some of the enemy weakpoints are hilariously hard to target. "Shoot him in the heart for extra damage!" despite the fact that this enemy is moving at 100mph at all times. Electrocuting him opens up a 2 second window which again is way too small to manage with the way the game handles aiming.

Anyways I don't want to seem a complete debbie downer because the atmosphere is quite awesome and the graphics really impressed me, and there's some fantastic audio work as well. There are moments in the game that are quite incredible. But overall I came away soured, mainly due to the gameplay just not being very fun at all.

Can't agree with that. I really like the combat (playing on 1999 and almost done). It's dynamic, mixing up vigors and weapons is great fun. Laying traps to block off AI paths, sending electrified crows at a target, becoming a first person Vanguard Shepard and slamming into enemies, flying all over the place with sky-lines and landing melee blows. Love it. The most fun FPS since Bulletstorm for me.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I finished this last night and I'm still blown away.

This may be the best game I have ever played.

Oh I dunno if I'd say that. Mainly there are two huge additions: the Skylines (which are actually quite cool and open up the levels nicely) and Tears, which were a disappointment for me. The idea of only opening up one tear at a time sounds like it would open up some neat gameplay choices (should I open this tear to medical supplies, cover, or a sentry gun?) but ultimately it doesn't really add anything since the player can open tears quickly without consequence. "Hey, open this tear for health, now open it for guns, ok now open the sentry gun and I'm done with tears in this level."
The combat is very dynamic, so I found myself using a lot of tears even with little consequence. I have to adjust my strategy on the fly.

vidcons

Banned
The combat is very dynamic, so I found myself using a lot of tears even with little consequence. I have to adjust my strategy on the fly.

Your strategy is running back and forth between ammo and health. You're not adjusting anything other than whether or not the items spawn. It's not dynamic, it's static under a guise of complexity.

Your strategy is running back and forth between ammo and health.
No it's not. You have no idea how I play. On any number of encounters I have to decide if I want to spawn a turret or an MP for support, or skyhooks for extra mobility, or cover, or if I need to spawn a new weapon when I run out or if I find one more suitable to that particular enounter. Now, because I can only spawn one at a time, I have to decide what is the most importanr thing I need at the moment, and that can change (and often does) depending on how the battle evolves.

Torraz

Broke down and bought this.

Any advice for someone who is going to jump in when the installation is finished?

I've been on a complete media blackout if that matters.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Broke down and bought this.

Any advice for someone who is going to jump in when the installation is finished?

I've been on a complete media blackout if that matters.

Get all the voxophones and explore a lot. It's very worth it to find as many pieces of the story as possible.

Andrew.

Banned
Man, I tried playing some other stuff this weekend that I had never tried (Resistance 3 and Yakuza 4) and guess what?

After about an hour I went right back to Infinite. That game is like my new super ultra comfort food.

pompidu

Just got the ps3 version and plan on playing through the original Bioshock before I jump into Infinite. How is the performance on ps3?

For anyone who's played it, what do you think of 1999 mode? Better than the main mode? Worth playing the game again just for it?

Because at the moment, after beating Normal, I feel no desire to play such a linear game again.

Minamu

Two questions!

Are there no subtitles for the audio logs on ps3 this time around?

I was supposed to receive Bioshock 1 and some form of preorder incentive for buying the game at zavvi.com. But where is it? There was nothing in the box and no email codes or anything (I've tried contacting them today, no response yet).

Thanks. Will try that out.

Man, I hope I find the last 2 Voxophones and last Sightseer location before I finish my 1999 playthrough. I have no idea where they could be and I don't want to force myself to do another playthrough just for those since it won't be fun.

Also, if you are low on shield, switch to Charge and hit him with it - which hopefully is upgraded to regen your shield. If you have the preorder gear that increases HM damage by 50%, I'd recommend that too.

I did a run through of that fight last night. Game is fun as all hell to replay. These set pieces are so good. My new thing is to Charge right onto the gondola troop transports, Undertowing folks off, then Charge off of it on another fool.

Guevara

Two questions!

Are there no subtitles for the audio logs on ps3 this time around?

I was supposed to receive Bioshock 1 and some form of preorder incentive for buying the game at zavvi.com. But where is it? There was nothing in the box and no email codes or anything (I've tried contacting them today, no response yet).

Bioshock 1 is on the PS3 disc. No code required.

Top Bottom