• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
This is so fucking stupid, I hate when games do this. I still can't do it...

How the hell do you take down a zeppelin without the bird? I fired like 20 rockets into one and it did nothing. I don't get this at all...

I never once fired on the Zepplin myself. I set down electric traps all over the middle and the again up at the top where you first start. I had the songbird attack ships as they came about. Used possession on one Patriot each time they appeared. And used Undertow to pull enemies to me. They would get stuck in my electric traps as soon as I pulled them up, I would then melee them with electric punch and finish off with Charge if needed. There was never a ship that still had enemies on it once it reached the front of my ship. I pulled them all off each time. It was insane. I finished that last battle with full ammo, health and salts.

DukeBobby

Sure I'm free, but it takes mega fucking bullets to kill everything, and I can't seem to get enough damned ammo, and if I go up to a zeppelin everything is around the core beating the shit out of it.

Put Return to Sender traps on the core.

This shit should be in the OP.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Is there ever anywhere to pick up ammo for the heater? I grabbed the replica early on and while the weapon itself isn't great I'd like to know if it's worth toting around for a while for the achievement but with the base ammo it gives I won't get close and Elizabeth never gives me ammo for it.

::edit::
Though I just noticed that the achievement is for 50 kills with the China Broom shotgun OR the heater. Assuming the China Broom shotgun is just the base shotgun I think I'll be dropping the heater in less than a minute when I alt-tab back to the game.

RDreamer

Put Return to Sender traps on the core.

This shit should be in the OP.

Tried it. Didn't do shit.

Goddammit this is insane. I've been at this for like an hour and a half to two hours. I can't do this. There's just too much going on, and the fucking square button for everything pisses me off. I can't differentiate between the three goddamned functions that button has....

StuBurns

Banned

Goddammit this is insane. I've been at this for like an hour and a half to two hours. I can't do this. There's just too much going on, and the fucking square button for everything pisses me off. I can't differentiate between the three goddamned functions that button has....
Just give up and drop the difficulty to easy.

spekkeh

Banned
Strategy I employed:

Kill the zeppelins with the songbird once they appear, mop up the troops yourself (as much as possible). If you wait till they advance a bit, you can drop in behind them. Use the ravens for the foottroops and finish off with your gun and/or devil's kiss. Then the patriots will simply advance towards the core, so you can shoot them in the back with a strong weapon. I used the <3 hand cannon <3. Got the setpiece on my second try, but did play on medium, and had a lot of upgrades in my vigor pool

SmithnCo

What difficulty? I assume hard/1999.

My advice would just be to get as many mines around/on it as possible, using the salt bottles in the area in you have to.
Destroy the zeppelins yourself, and use the bird to defeat the enemies on the deck. Use the RtS shield to not die, if you have enough salt.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Take a break. Try again in a few hours or tomorrow. It might seem overwhelming, but after a failed attempt you should see what went wrong...
Always look out for the area close to the core. Send Songbird there if there are Patriots, place traps, just do whatever to clear that area. Also know that if you're boarding a Zeppelin, you get a good view of what's going on below and what's posing the biggest threat to the core. There are 3 zeppelins to take out, if it helps. I also placed crow traps close to the core do deal with regular guys.

RDreamer

What difficulty? I assume hard/1999.

My advice would just be to get as many mines around/on it as possible, using the salt bottles in the area in you have to.
Destroy the zeppelins yourself, and use the bird to defeat the enemies on the deck. Use the RtS shield to not die, if you have enough salt.

Normal...

I can get 2 zeppelins out, but by that time the core's fucked. When I get done with the first one, even, the core's surrounded by shit, even if I had songbirded them when they first arrived.

The other thing that gets me is that there's only a split second where you have to be facing the correct way and hit the X at the exact time in order to board the zeppelins. I end up missing that moment like 5 or 6 times.

Tried Return to Sender. A fuckton of them on the thing, and it still didn't help.

StuBurns

Banned
Normal...

I can get 2 zeppelins out, but by that time the core's fucked. When I get done with the first one, even, the core's surrounded by shit, even if I had songbirded them when they first arrived.

The other thing that gets me is that there's only a split second where you have to be facing the correct way and hit the X at the exact time in order to board the zeppelins. I end up missing that moment like 5 or 6 times.

Tried Return to Sender. A fuckton of them on the thing, and it still didn't help.
Are you slowing down on the rail? You should have a wide enough window to jump. And when you do miss it, are you reversing instantly to give it another go or going all the way around again?

RDreamer

Are you slowing down on the rail? You should have a wide enough window to jump. And when you do miss it, are you reversing instantly to give it another go or going all the way around again?

Yeah, I try to slow it down, but it's still missing a lot, and yeah I reverse quickly, but that shit's really disorienting and I end up missing again sometimes.

StuBurns

Banned
Yeah, I try to slow it down, but it's still missing a lot, and yeah I reverse quickly, but that shit's really disorienting and I end up missing again sometimes.
Assuming you don't care about achievements, I think you should just lower the difficulty to easy.

TTG

Normal...

I didn't even know you could board the zeppelins. All I did, on hard, is send songbird after them while I cleared the deck. The motorized walkers are oblivious to the player, so just get behind them and unload at the gears. The rest is straightforward. I only really moved away from the center to take out the rpg guys. I'll try boarding the zeppelins if I ever make it back on 1999 mode, that sounds cool.

RDreamer

Assuming you don't care about achievements, I think you should just lower the difficulty to easy.

Maybe.. I really would rather not, though...

I kind of feel like I'm not getting this because this is the culmination of everything I dislike in the game. The rail shit is just stupid and disorienting, in my opinion.

I suped the Crows up as much as possible and throughout almost the entire game, I found that they just wrecked everyone's shit completely. I just had to hold down right click, lay a trap, and what everyone eat crow (semi-literally). The good thing is that, because death-by-crow leads to the setting of another crow trap, it's amazing in areas where you face multiple waves, such as the
zepelin fight at the end.

For the zepelin battle, what I did was
Only use the songbird on the zepelins. I know this is different to what everyone else is saying, but whatever. As soon as he was ready, I had him take down another one. Meanwhile, my crows took out almost all the normal troops and I just lightning followed by two quick shots with the hand cannon on the Patriots. If I was in a rush, I'd use a charged up Charge on them, but I'm not sure where you're running into trouble - I was playing Normal and did it on my first attempt. In fact, I don't think the health bar for the ship even went below half. How long are your battles lasting? Mine took about 10 minutes, I think.

Edit: I also didn't use the rails once.

Dipswitch

Took me about 6-7 attempts to do this (on hard).
I ended up using Devils Kiss on all of the troops and heavy hitters, and then finished off the stragglers with a combination of shock jockey, and the carbine, hand cannon and crank guns I picked up. I used shock jockey and the carbine/hand cannon up close to pick off the RPG dudes on the sides. Helps that I had my salts maxed out at that point and the 'Blood to Salt' shirt enabled which replenishes your salts when you kill enemies.

I then used Songbird exclusively to take out the Zeppelins and gunboats. Timing worked out ok, but I got worked over at one point by one of the gunboats while waiting for Songbird to regenerate. I died once or twice, but generally health wasn't really an issue.

You can always do the cheap method and just drop the shield bombs in front of it. I got too frustrated and just did that to get it over with.

Edit: Seems it was already mentioned. Weird, it should work. I placed several of them.

RDreamer

Finally got it. Didn't really do anything differently I guess... I swear I took out 3 of them the last 3 or 4 attempts, but it didn't give me the "win."

playing my 1999 mode right now
about to face slate
should I use the $1,600 to buy possession for less? what is the best upgrade path for this stuff?

Had nearly an identical experience to yours, RDreamer. The problem is, playing on Normal, the game is actually disgustingly easy up until that point; and that's not to say that that point is all that difficult, because it really isn't, but it can pose some challenge. It's the sudden shift from 'cake walk' to 'ooh, I can actually die here' that's a bit aggravating, even after attempting it only a few times. Keep at it!

Also,
can you actually take the massive zeppelins out personally? I assumed they were only able to be engaged via Songbird; the game definitely makes it seem that way, anyway. Do you just reach them conventionally via the sky-rails?

about to face slate
should I use the $1,600 to buy possession for less? what is the best upgrade path for this stuff?

I'd say focus on Possession and upgrade it as soon as possible, yes. It's your best friend during the early portions of 1999 mode. The upgrade that makes enemies kill themselves when it wears off is so damn effective against anyone with an explosive weapon like an RPG.

DukeBobby

about to face slate

According to those who have finished it on 1999 mode, upgrading Charge is a necessity, especially as it makes
the Lady Comstock
fight really easy.

According to those who have finished it on 1999 mode, upgrading Charge is a necessity, especially as it makes
the Lady Comstock
fight really easy.

You don't get Charge until halfway through the game though. And even then, it's the upgrades that really make it essential, and those don't become available until later.

RDreamer

Firstly, you should really spoiler tag this post.

Secondly, yes, you can. I don't understand why so many people didn't know this, you have to do it earlier in the game, no?

They probably don't because
It's almost impossible to hop on the zeppelins without slowing down on the line. If you're going normal speed you can almost never actually see that prompt. It's there for a split second and that's it.

In my game I tried to do that, but couldn't get any sort of dismount thing to come up, so I gave up and assumed I'd have to use songbird, until you said something.

Firstly, you should really spoiler tag this post.

Secondly, yes, you can. I don't understand why so many people didn't know this, you have to do it earlier in the game, no?

Oh! Shit. Sorry, guys. Too early in the morning.

They look way too big/far off in the distance; I think it's completely reasonable to think, "oh, the game wants me to use this new mechanic exclusively for this". A little comment on the side from Elizabeth wouldn't have gone astray.

Balphon

the Lady Comstock
fight really easy.

I used Charge all of once in my 1999 playthrough and didn't have much trouble with anything. Though I'll give you that it probably would make that fight easier.

Possession, on the other hand, I used constantly. I'd upgrade it as soon as you can.

Drago

Just started playing this.

I have to say, I'm blown away at how pretty everything looks, even on a PS3. So much attention to detail and vivid colors. I love it.

StuBurns

Banned
Oh! Shit. Sorry, guys. Too early in the morning.

They look way too big/far off in the distance; I think it's completely reasonable to think, "oh, the game wants me to use this new mechanic exclusively for this". A little comment on the side from Elizabeth wouldn't have gone astray.
That's a fair point, I think once I noticed
you can use Songbird on the deck, that you focusing on the zeppelins seemed like a fine alternative, and give the cooldown, I found that instantly a much more preferable idea.

Just finished the game, watching the credits, first playtrough in 1999 mode.. I'm speechless, almost in shock

EDIT OMG after posting this I'm going ASAP to the spoiler thread, I'm extremely mindfucked. I need answers. OK, about the game.. atmosphere, art and sound design are godly. Specially the sound design, which is a feature that I love in games, its sooo good. Played in PC, the game is fucking gorgeus. The shooting is very decent, and certainly is a improvement from the the others Bioshocks. I went into the game almost 100% dark in the gameplay aspect, and played with all the handholding options off and 1999 mode. At least for me the game wasn't that hard, because I enjoyed a lot walking around the environments slowly scavenging and exploring every corner, and in the combats you have to be very cautious and use all the tools (guns, skylines when available, vigors and the rifts) if you want to survive. I only had a tight spot with one of "that" lady fights, because I wasn't expecting it and caught me off guard in terms of weapons. In that spot was the only time that I abused like a bitch the vending machine. The game took me 17 hours, and its probably one of the most memorable experiences I've enjoyed in all my years of gaming :) .

That's a fair point, I think once I noticed
you can use Songbird on the deck, that you focusing on the zeppelins seemed like a fine alternative, and give the cooldown, I found that instantly a much more preferable idea.

That's what I was doing initially:
using Songbird to stave off the douches on the deck, but my mind still only went to, "wow, they expect me to somehow spam Songbird on the deck and the zeppelins, even with the immense cooldown?", so I just kept on plugging away until I failed.

It was definitely my first 'this is bullshit' moment of the game. And even though it only took me 3 attempts and a bit more focus (
and using only Songbird for the zeppelins
), it was grating as balls. The endgame more than compensated, though :).

Fracas

#fuckonami
In general, how have you guys been going through 1999 Mode?

I'm playing it like I've always done Halo on Legendary: Pop out, fire until shields are gone, then wait to recharge. Bucking Bronco has been a lifesaver.

Sorian

Banned
I suped the Crows up as much as possible and throughout almost the entire game, I found that they just wrecked everyone's shit completely. I just had to hold down right click, lay a trap, and what everyone eat crow (semi-literally). The good thing is that, because death-by-crow leads to the setting of another crow trap, it's amazing in areas where you face multiple waves, such as the
zepelin fight at the end.

For the zepelin battle, what I did was
Only use the songbird on the zepelins. I know this is different to what everyone else is saying, but whatever. As soon as he was ready, I had him take down another one. Meanwhile, my crows took out almost all the normal troops and I just lightning followed by two quick shots with the hand cannon on the Patriots. If I was in a rush, I'd use a charged up Charge on them, but I'm not sure where you're running into trouble - I was playing Normal and did it on my first attempt. In fact, I don't think the health bar for the ship even went below half. How long are your battles lasting? Mine took about 10 minutes, I think.

Edit: I also didn't use the rails once.

I mirror what this guy said exactly. I was on hard and also did it first try and core didn't go below half.
Only thing to add is at one point, it got a little crazy in the middle, so I just did a songbird smash rigth next to the core then it was business as usual.

Well, just wrapped up the ending.
Last fight would have been a bitch if I wasn't obsessed with Shock Jockey, the shotgun, and the sniper most of the way through. Twist was kinda what the game leads you to a few hours in, kinda hoped for more craziness, but interesting stuff all the same. Off to the spoiler thread to make sure I followed the ending as well as I think I did, but I think it all folds up into a pretty nice little package. Reminded me a great deal of the last episode of Star Trek:TNG.

Finkton and Comstock House were the highlights for me.

Might write something more later, but it won't be another diatribe like for Tomb Raider :p

Zeliard

I used Charge all of once in my 1999 playthrough and didn't have much trouble with anything. Though I'll give you that it probably would make that fight easier.

Possession, on the other hand, I used constantly. I'd upgrade it as soon as you can.

I never actually used charge on 1999. In fact, I never had it. Never found it and then didn't buy it from the vending machines. Something for the DLC, maybe. :>

Kinda weird too since all I played in Mass Effect 2/3 was a charging Vanguard.

Started playing this and had the exact same reaction at exactly the same points as this guy:
http://kotaku.com/bioshock-infinite-is-insanely-ridiculously-violent-it-470524003

It's just a bit much for me. Don't think I'll continue.

I don't know... it seems almost purposeful in how they lull you into things and them smack you upside the head with the ultraviolence. Kind of like Drive in how the violence comes out of no where.

But its not like the game wouldn't be violent if you took out the shooter elements either. Hell, Booker is a Pinkerton so he's good at violence. And beyond that, its kind of a warped society in Columbia that
foments a violent and bloody revolution.

Riposte

Started playing this and had the exact same reaction at exactly the same points as this guy:
http://kotaku.com/bioshock-infinite-is-insanely-ridiculously-violent-it-470524003

It's just a bit much for me. Don't think I'll continue.

BioShock Infinite is in many ways so, so close to being That Game, the one we can show to our non-gamer friends and say "See? Look at this! It is so awesome! Check out the story! It's like LOST! How neat is this?" But it's not That Game, because it's so hilariously, egregiously violent that a large number of people will never give it a chance.

Oh, thank god I'm not as man-child who feels such shame.

I never actually used charge on 1999.

Same in my case, I used at the beginning Possession and Crows, but when I got Bronco and Shock Jockey I upgraded both ASAP and I used them as my main vigors, Bronco as the main crowd control and short range defensive vigor, and Shock to stun machines and those Patriots bastards. The main reason was the low use of salts they had, but at the end of the game you have plenty of salts everywhere..

Top Bottom