• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

pa22word

Can't help but to imagine Kanji every time he opens his mouth :\\\\\\\\\

Cannot-unsee_cat.jpg

malfcn

That is a pretty shitty way of finding that out, heh.

Man........... I am so sorry, that must have been suck real bad, hahaha.

Speaking of voice acting, fans of Persona4 should find it pretty hard to feel immersed with Booker. Can't help but to imagine Kanji every time he opens his mouth :\\\\\\\\\

No shit. So pissed off. Looks like the Wiki entry has been changed, damage done.

So even 6 hours later I am still trying to shake the feeling the ending has given me.
Effective Non happy endings always do

That said though, I cannot seem to shake the disappointment that they story I experienced through so much of the first two acts did not hit nearly as hard or be as ultimately meaningful, as I feel they should have. Too little is called back as totally relevant to what I am seeing during the end, even though after much reading in this thread and others, small pieces are clearly there. But the more I reflect, the more I realize that those complaints have more to do with being a videogame and the need to pace out set pieces and reveals. That said,this feels much more film able than bioshock ever could and would love to see it attempted.

So even 6 hours later I am still trying to shake the feeling the ending has given me.
Effective Non happy endings always do

Regarding the emotions of the ending:
If you check out the spoiler thread, a lot of people stand by the interpretation of the ending (especially the after the credits scene) being one of happiness, that Booker and Elizabeth(Anna) will finally be together :)

The setting, yes, but the whole concept of
multiple universe
shenanigans will be too difficult for the mainstream public to enjoy I think.
Maybe, but I felt the inception dream thing was a bit much at times and that was still very very successful. It just matters on how it is communicated and the visual trick they use to explain it. The game's
black and white grainy ness
I thought did a good job showing the difference.

Losing the element of control in this case wouldnt hurt it as much as BioShock, so typical movie exposition wouldn't hurt if the director is smart

Regarding the emotions of the ending:
If you check out the spoiler thread, a lot of people stand by the interpretation of the ending (especially the after the credits scene) being one of happiness, that Booker and Elizabeth(Anna) will finally be together :)
I read that too, but I just don't see much into it. I don't understand how
that path could ever come to be if booker is dead before he helped conceive her. Also, just the idea that Elizabeth, being all knowing, willingly walking her father to his and her doom so she and an infinite number of Elizabeth's never go through the same thing is far more bitter than it is sweet. Its haunting and I love the developers for going for it, but that is the reason for why I feel this way. I don't see how anyone can be happy unless something we accept in the timeline theory is wrong.

EGM1966

I read that too, but I just don't see much into it. I don't understand how
that path could ever come to be if booker is dead before he helped conceive her. Also, just the idea that Elizabeth, being all knowing, willingly walking her father to his and her doom so she and an infinite number of Elizabeth's never go through the same thing is far more bitter than it is sweet. Its haunting and I love the developers for going for it, but that is the reason for why I feel this way. I don't see how anyone can be happy unless something we accept in the timeline theory is wrong.

As I understand it
Only the Booker's who would accept the baptism are drowned - i.e. those who would become Comstock - but this leaves a multidute of timelines where Booker has a child and that child isn't sold to Comstock (since he doesn't exist) hence he would still have his daughter. The ending though is a bit sneaky as it implies a level of awareness of the child's return which shouldn't be there (as the child would never have gone anywhere in the first place) but I allow it on the grounds it makes more emotional sense - for all those Bookers who would have sold their daughter she's now back.

dankir

Lady Comstock's ghost of super bullet sponginess and infinite spawning minions.
I guess it was more manageable on hard? But right now I'm finding it insufferable to play through.

You can basically fight all three battles without any enemies coming near you and you just snipe away at her from a distance

The first battle there's a building with some coffins, I believe its the one you go through to entire the graveyard, but I'm in 100% sure.

The 2nd battle just stay in the vault and nobody will come close to you.

The 3rd battle you can just stay right by the 3 vending machines on the far left bottom corner of that area outside Comstock house and just watch out for the enemy with the mortars and you should be fine.

Andrew.

Banned
I guess it was more manageable on hard? But right now I'm finding it insufferable to play through.

Which fight? 1, 2 or 3? Do you have Charge upgraded? Charge and the patented Shawn Combo makes those fights a cakewalk. Also using Spectral Sidekick with an RPG or Volleygun works wonders as well.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How far am I into the game? I'm a little bit after the part where
Elizabeth changed her clothes after she killed Daisy Fitzroy and we see the weird man & woman that keep showing up everywhere like if they could teleport.

sflufan

Banned
How far am I into the game? I'm a little bit after the part where
Elizabeth changed her clothes after she killed Daisy Fitzroy and we see the weird man & woman that keep showing up everywhere like if they could teleport.

About 2/3 of the way in.

You can basically fight all three battles without any enemies coming near you and you just snipe away at her from a distance

The first battle there's a building with some coffins, I believe its the one you go through to entire the graveyard, but I'm in 100% sure.

The 2nd battle just stay in the vault and nobody will come close to you.

The 3rd battle you can just stay right by the 3 vending machines on the far left bottom corner of that area outside Comstock house and just watch out for the enemy with the mortars and you should be fine.
Good to know, but if you're describing what I think you are in my fight, it's locked off during the encounter.

Which fight? 1, 2 or 3? Do you have Charge upgraded? Charge and the patented Shawn Combo makes those fights a cakewalk. Also using Spectral Sidekick with an RPG or Volleygun works wonders as well.
1, it's just too boxed in and lacking cover. I'll see if I can find an RPG but you'll have to excuse me I haven't followed the thread, what's the Shawn combo?

Trigger

I feel like the fact that a person almost has to cheese this fight on 1999 mode just emphasizes how poorly designed it was.

Andrew.

Banned
Good to know, but if you're describing what I think you are in my fight, it's locked off during the encounter.

1, it's just too boxed in and lacking cover. I'll see if I can find an RPG but you'll have to excuse me I haven't followed the thread, what's the Shawn combo?

Upgrade Charge all the way.

Equip these gears: Blood to Salt, Electric Punch or Touch, Vampire Embrace and Last Man Standing. Charge into
her
and follow up with a couple shotgun blasts and then back up and do it again.

Andrew.

Banned
For those in need, here is the list of Vigor combinations:

1) Possession + Devil's Kiss
2) Possession + Shock Jockey
3) Murder of Crows + Devil's Kiss
4) Murder of Crows + Shock Jockey
5) Bucking Bronco + Devil's Kiss
6) Bucking Bronco + Charge
7) Undertow + Shock Jockey
8) Devil's Kiss + Charge

BFIB

I had trouble sleeping last night, as I was replaying the big moments over and over.

I've read through the OP on the spoiler thread, so it summed up a few questions I had.

What an amazing ride.

Scratch

I feel like the fact that a person almost has to cheese this fight on 1999 mode just emphasizes how poorly designed it was.

i legitimately camped in the
vault
during the second battle, cycling between dropped weapons hoping my ghost ally would hit her :(

i did this for a longer time than i'd ever want to admit.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
lol, how can someone answer this without spoiling you?

Ah well... yeah, I guess it was dumb to ask. Anyway, if im at 2/3 apparently, I guess it cant be that far, unless its literally during the last 10 minutes.

Gotta finish this this week.

Cudder

just got my platinum, gonna feel weird to play something else, this game has been all i played since it came out. 4 successive run throughs. GOTY contender for sure.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Reading all the tips for
Lady Comstock
on 1999 are depressing since I don't have the recommended stuff upgraded and I haven't gotten the recommended gear on this run through due to the random nature. The last third of the game on 1999 is truly awful. All the combat flow is ruined by the sheer amount of damage you take. I loved it on lower difficulties but 99 just sucks all the fun away.

Reading all the tips for
Lady Comstock
on 1999 are depressing since I don't have the recommended stuff upgraded and I haven't gotten the recommended gear on this run through due to the random nature. The last third of the game on 1999 is truly awful. All the combat flow is ruined by the sheer amount of damage you take. I loved it on lower difficulties but 99 just sucks all the fun away.

What vigors did you upgrade?

Bucking Bronco, Murder of Crows, and Shock Jockey.

If you kill the enemies with electricity or fire, the boss can't revive them. Maybe weaken the enemies and try the Crows+Shock Jockey or Bronco+Shock combo? I'm not sure if electric crows will disintegrate them but it's worth a try. Otherwise I'd advise weakening them and spamming shock traps. Then you can sit back and take potshots until the boss dies.

JB1981

Reading all the tips for
Lady Comstock

It was awful on Hard for me as well. I had to YouTube it

I love the fight in
Port Prosperity, in that huge ticket area
. This time for me it was really tense because I couldn't find anymore salts and I was running around taking potshots at the MP and trying to outmaneuver the two Firemen that come in after you deal with all the soldiers.

Finished with two bullets left in my carbine.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
1999 Mode may have killed all the love I have for this game. It highlights all of its weaknesses and mitigates its strengths. Truly terrible mode.

I think I'm nearing the end! The setting has gotten extremely dreary, I'm at
Comstock House
and I'm about to go
dig up Elizabeth's mom's grave
or something.

Also, does anyone know where I could get a plot summary up to this point? Unless it's not recommended, I want to make sure I've understood everything correctly so far.

One thing that's been bugging me that I haven't found an answer to about a side character, I might have just missed something or it's going over my head but
why does the wanted poster for Preston Downs posted on the chalkboard in the police station list him as Morgan Creed?

MartyStu

I think I'm nearing the end! The setting has gotten extremely dreary, I'm at
Comstock House
and I'm about to go
dig up Elizabeth's mom's grave
or something.

Also, does anyone know where I could get a plot summary up to this point? Unless it's not recommended, I want to make sure I've understood everything correctly so far.

If you do not think you have a good enough handle on the story now, it is best to just push ahead and let the game reiterate the points you may have missed. Any serious attempt at explaining the story thus far WILL spoil it for you.

And you are well into the last third, but not nearly done.

malfcn

Love the Shield when getting bombarded and can sneak a rest in. But what did those who completed 1999 concentrate their upgrades towards.

Top Bottom