• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Have you guys watched Lapslappin's videos? His Far Cry 3 videos were incredible, and his Bioshock Infinite videos are also pretty good:

Vigor Test 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w81QmjRamts

Vigor Test 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRIHwJgoOd4

Rail Battle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNdv42-dytg

May contain spoilers depending on what you consider a spoiler. No cutscenes though, only combat.

They really need to patch in a wider POV option for consoles like they did for BioShock.

Ce-Lin

It's pretty easy to believe when you consider how only a few arenas in the game give you rails to play with and how awesome, overpowered gears like the one he is using are randomized and may never show up in your game at all.

if you don't get that gear you consider OP there's something called creativity to get around that "problem", feels good using it from time to time, great design decision to have gear loot randomized so you are somewhat forced to think... or just stop playing and come to the forums complaining.

PBalfredo

Finished Infinite, and now I'm feeling the need to go on a big Shock kick. I just need to decide which to play next. Replay Infinite on 1999 mode, replay Bioshock 1 or 2 (thanks preorder bonuses), or get System Shock 2 from GOG?

if you don't get that gear you consider OP there's something called creativity to get around that "problem", feels good using it from time to time, great design decision to have gear loot randomized so you are somewhat forced to think... or just stop playing and come to the forums complaining.

Can't say I was forced to think much on 1999. Mostly consisted of playing peek-a-boo and spamming crowd control.

I'm playing the game on Xbox 360. Should I lock or unlock the framerate? I always thought a locked framerate was smoother, but maybe it's my imagination but unlocking it in this game seems to be the better option.

1999 mode encourages conservative play. Trying to use the skylines creatively or basically do anything besides turtle from cover is practically suicide.

The only time you might need to play conservatively in 1999 mode is the beginning, before you get to Elizabeth. After that you have more than enough options that playing conservatively is basically the antithesis of how Infinite should be played.

Persona7

Banned
I have not played much of this game but I just saw a image I assume was a massive spoiler, can someone tell me whether or not it was a massive spoiler

a image with "multiples" of a character on one screen

Cudder

I have not played much of this game but I just saw a image I assume was a massive spoiler, can someone tell me whether or not it was a massive spoiler

a image with "multiples" of a character on one screen

Without knowing the context of who or what they are, id say you're pretty safe actually.

So seeming as XBL was down, I decided to start my 3rd run through of the game, on 1999 mode (for the second time). Just experimenting with gears and vigors, I know there has been debate about this, but personally I find the game to be extremely accommodating to a wide variety of tactics and play styles.

Right now I'm being completely aggressive and the game is making it so satisfying to play in this way. I'm getting up close and personal with melee and traps this time.

I'm going to upgrade devils kiss, undertow and charge in this playthrough only.

I usually dont go for 100% games, but Infinite was probably the easiest 1000 cheevo's I've ever gotten. Really curious to see where they go with the DLC stuff. Manervas Den type stuff would be rad.

Finished it last night, and I'm of two minds of it. I enjoyed the ride that the game took me on, but I can't help but feel disappointed at what a Shock title has turned into. System Shock to Bioshock took a blow in systemic complexity, and then they took that and reduced it further into modern FPS design. I'll give 1999 mode a go since my first run through was on Hard, but I don't expect much of the mode considering how much would have to be fundamentally changed to give such a title merit. Though I absolutely loved the art design of the game throughout, the environments were gorgeous and the plot and characters are more interesting than what I usually get out of a game; but by now I know to go in looking for the twists and hints, so the ending wasn't a mindblowing revelation.

I guess I'll echo the common complaints that the game didn't feel great with its combat using more traditional FPS trappings. It's not that it couldn't have worked like that, I just don't think it does it particularly well.

RDreamer

1999 mode is pretty crazy so far. I'm actually worried about bullet count, and have to really think about each encounter before I go in.

Is there a list of commonly missed sightseer things? I'm missing three, I'd like it if I could get them without going through the whole game again with a checklist. Some of this shit is well hidden, I thought I'd scoured the whole game pretty well, but I ended up missing two recordings and three sightseer things. Also does anyone know how to get the gear
in the graveyard? I didn't see any way to open the area where it was.

Is there a list of commonly missed sightseer things? I'm missing three, I'd like it if I could get them without going through the whole game again with a checklist. Also does anyone know how to get the gear
in the graveyard? I didn't see any way to open the area where it was.

You gotta light the torches on each side of the gate.

LiK

I'm missing a handful. Any suggestions what chapter to reload?

the one I'm referring to is the one at
Good Time bar after you enter the tear in the prison. As you backtrack, there's a new K-scope on the right side instead of the left near the entrance. It's about freeing Chen Lin in the movie.
That was the only one I missed.

Guys, I'm playing on hard and at the part where you're playing defense on the
Comstock's airship
and I don't think I can shoot anymore dudes in the face... I'm face shoot'd out.

Massa

Alright GAF. I have literally played the game for 60 minutes, I play it slow so I haven't even really got to Elizabeth. With a simple yes or no, could someone please spoil the rest for me by answering:

Are the people in this world real?

Alright GAF. I have literally played the game for 60 minutes, I'm slow so I haven't even really got to Elizabeth. With a simple yes or no, could someone please spoil the rest for me by answering:

Haha why would you want to know that right now? Just strap in and enjoy the ride man, let it reveal itself.

LiK

Alright GAF. I have literally played the game for 60 minutes, I play it slow so I haven't even really got to Elizabeth. With a simple yes or no, could someone please spoil the rest for me by answering:

of course not, it's a video game silly.

NTom64

Started my first run of the game, played it for about...dunno. An hour and a half or so?

Love the setting, graphically it's stunning and the presentation values in general are just top notch. Then I got to the combat and hooooooo boy, it's amazing how bad I am at FPS's lol. Died twice within the span of half an hour (on normal no less).

Probably just going to have to persevere with this one.

Massa

Haha why would you want to know that right now? Just strap in and enjoy the ride man, let it reveal itself.

I'll have to wait a few more days to play the rest of it. I don't want to comment on the game having played so little of it, but... what I played just fell a little bit flat with just how ridiculous and fake it all seems. Guess I'm over analyzing it right now and I should just wait some more and play the rest of it, I'll try to do that.

of course not, it's a video game silly.

I'm on #teamreal here.

elry09

Neo Member
BioShock Infinite is a really amazing game. The game has such a level of detail to it, that it's easy to immerse yourself in the stunning world that Irrational Games has created, at least thats what I thougt, until IT happened...

One of the things the game lets you do is search through containers, barrels and even cash registers. You can find useful items, like ammo, money and health items. I was actually searching through a cash register when it happened, the thing that sucked me out of this well-detailed virtual world

I was in a gift shop searching through a cash register, i found 32 silver eagles(the currency of the world) and a Hotdog. You heard right, A HOTDOG!!! At this point I no longer cared to learn the secrets of the floating city of Columbia, I no longer cared to discover why the mob hired me to bring this girl back to them, I only cared about one thing, discovering why there was a hotdog in a cash register.

Were Hotdogs considered a form of currency in the city of Columbia("Can you give me change for a beef frank?) Did the shop owner stick that hotdog in the cash register to insure that no one would once again ruin his day by eating his lunch out of the fridge, which was in a bag clearly marked with his name! Also why did my character, without thinking, just eat the hotdog, was he used to finding hotdogs in weird places. Also shouldnt he have first checked to see if it was pork or beef, what if he had been jewish, or like me, alergic to processed meats!

Im now very cautious when i'm searching through the containers, out of fear im going to stumble across like a chili dog or something...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well I just finished.

What the hell?

I always find these kinds of reactions amusing, because this isn't a new concept in stories, but I suppose it is one in video games.

Pakman

BioShock Infinite is a really amazing game. The game has such a level of detail to it, that it's easy to immerse yourself in the stunning world that Irrational Games has created, at least thats what I thougt, until IT happened...

One of the things the game lets you do is search through containers, barrels and even cash registers. You can find useful items, like ammo, money and health items. I was actually searching through a cash register when it happened, the thing that sucked me out of this well-detailed virtual world

I was in a gift shop searching through a cash register, i found 32 silver eagles(the currency of the world) and a Hotdog. You heard right, A HOTDOG!!! At this point I no longer cared to learn the secrets of the floating city of Columbia, I no longer cared to discover why the mob hired me to bring this girl back to them, I only cared about one thing, discovering why there was a hotdog in a cash register.

Were Hotdogs considered a form of currency in the city of Columbia("Can you give me change for a beef frank?) Did the shop owner stick that hotdog in the cash register to insure that no one would once again ruin his day by eating his lunch out of the fridge, which was in a bag clearly marked with his name! Also why did my character, without thinking, just eat the hotdog, was he used to finding hotdogs in weird places. Also shouldnt he have first checked to see if it was pork or beef, what if he had been jewish, or like me, alergic to processed meats!

Im now very cautious when i'm searching through the containers, out of fear im going to stumble across like a chili dog or something...

I lol'd. Loved this game despite the hotdogs in the cash register.
I was actually really pissed off when Comstock is torturing Elizabeth... and the other Elizabeth.... Been a long time since I was that invested in a character/story

Cudder

Just beat the game on 1999 mode without dollar bill machines. :)

Now just one more play through to mop up collectables and vigor trophies and I'm done.

I don't think I've ever played a games single player 4 times in a row back to back to back to back. Incredible game.

Whooter

I was actually really pissed off when Comstock is torturing Elizabeth... and the other Elizabeth.... Been a long time since I was that invested in a character/story

I know what you mean.

When Songbird takes Elizabeth way, with tears streaming down her cheeks, I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. And, I shit you not, I audibly said "Noooooo"....
I have never done anything like that.

JB1981

Finished Infinite, and now I'm feeling the need to go on a big Shock kick. I just need to decide which to play next. Replay Infinite on 1999 mode, replay Bioshock 1 or 2 (thanks preorder bonuses), or get System Shock 2 from GOG?

I already started playing the original. Still holds up :)

I had kind of the same reaction.
When I was finally able to free Elizabeth, I was SO PUMPED. I barreled through everything to get her.

Poona

Just got the shock jockey vigor, and im feeling so many similarities from other properties with this.

It's almost like the Disney movie Tangled (Elizabeth = Rapunzel, whilst Booker = Flynn) meets Fringe ( the tears is like the portals and so on in Fringe). Kinda wondering if the ending of the game will be so mind blowing to me having already seen Fringe.

laxu

Liked the story and artwork but otherwise the game is very old fashioned: barely any interaction with game world objects and characters. It's basically the same thing I hated in BioShock 1. It's like you're a ghost a lot of the time and the NPCs don't know you're there unless they want to kill you. The skyline parts are the only areas where the level design gets off rails, funnily enough. I guess these days a reasonably slick shooter combined with a Disney princess is enough for glowing reviews...

I also learned the people of Columbia are so rich that whenever they have some coins in their pocket they just throw it in the trashcans and everybody goes to work with a lunchbox filled with ammo, lockpicks and bath salts.

I learned a young age playing Final Fight, that when you're plowing through hundreds of men and women to rescue a girl, the slums and rat-infested alley ways are just LITTERED with properly prepared meals, gold bars, and diamonds, just waiting for a hero to find them in various trash cans and boxes

Video%20Gaming%20food.jpg

Finished it last night, and I'm of two minds of it.

*raises eyebrow*

Just got the shock jockey vigor, and im feeling so many similarities from other properties with this.

It's almost like the Disney movie Tangled (Elizabeth = Rapunzel, whilst Booker = Flynn) meets Fringe ( the tears is like the portals and so on in Fringe). Kinda wondering if the ending of the game will be so mind blowing to me having already seen Fringe.

I imagine it still will.

Never played any Bioshock game. How's the scare/creep factor? I get easily scared.

- RE4 reeeeeally makes me tense a lot. I can barely it for 2 hours at a time, so it's a miracle I even beat it. RE5 was a joke though. I'm still too creeped out by older REs.
- Parasite Eve 2 is sometimes creepy for me but it's a lot more manageable.
- SH, Fatal Frame, etc are too scary.
- Alan Wake felt more or less as tense as RE4.
- I hate getting jumped on behind me back. Stuff like enemy suddenly appearing behind me after traversing the area, or something invisible stalking me (specially human figures).

I thought that video of
some doctor whining about ugliness
in Bioshock 1 was a bit unsettling.

Top Bottom