• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
1999 mode encourages conservative play. Trying to use the skylines creatively or basically do anything besides turtle from cover is practically suicide.

I'd say there's only a few fights at the back half of the game that require a specific pattern.

most notably the final battle on the airship, and to a lesser extent, the Siren fights

Never played any Bioshock game. How's the scare/creep factor? I get easily scared.

- RE4 reeeeeally makes me tense a lot. I can barely it for 2 hours at a time, so it's a miracle I even beat it. RE5 was a joke though. I'm still too creeped out by older REs.
- Parasite Eve 2 is sometimes creepy for me but it's a lot more manageable.
- SH, Fatal Frame, etc are too scary.
- Alan Wake felt more or less as tense as RE4.
- I hate getting jumped on behind me back. Stuff like enemy suddenly appearing behind me after traversing the area, or something invisible stalking me (specially human figures).

I thought that video of
some doctor whining about ugliness
in Bioshock 1 was a bit unsettling.

Not something you need to worry about in Infinite. There is one section in the game you could classify as creepy and it's more tame than any of the games you mentioned. It's only about 10-15 minutes long anyway. Ends in a jump scare.

The game is more wide open than the original which removes a lot of the tension.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Not something you need to worry about in Infinite. There is one section in the game you could classify as creepy and it's more tame than any of the games you mentioned. It's only about 10-15 minutes long anyway. Ends in a jump scare.

The game is more wide open than the original which removes a lot of the tension.

Are you referring to
The Boxer Rebellion exhibit?

iMax

Not sure if this has been posted, but regarding Songbird's
alleged appearance during BioShock during the scene with the guy and the piano... Well, I'm just going through my first play through and I heard Songbird (or at least the exact same sound effect) in the Tea Garden.
. I'm guessing that they're simply
recycling the sound effect and it's nothing more :/

Not sure if this has been posted, but regarding Songbird's
alleged appearance during BioShock during the scene with the guy and the piano... Well, I'm just going through my first play through and I heard Songbird (or at least the exact same sound effect) in the Tea Garden.
. I'm guessing that they're simply
recycling the sound effect and it's nothing more :/

Obviously. I don't get how this "theory" is a theory at all.

Minamu

Completed it a few minutes ago. I'm in awe. I wasn't really enjoying neither gameplay nor characters and story for the longest time but I think it at came through at the end :D This is cool stuff. Time to head to the spoiler thread!

ChuckNyce

Finished it this afternoon. My mind is blown. What a game, what a piece of storytelling.

Welcome to the other side! I finished it last night around 2AM and have been mulling over the ending (and story as a whole) ever since. This one is definitely going to stick with me, one of the best stories I've experienced in a video game in quite some time.

really? i rarely used it. not a big fan of hopping off and on those Skyhooks.

Oh, I never got tired of dropping down on guys with a skyline-strike. Any excuse to use those things (the skylines) even more was fantastic.

Any other advice on load-outs, weapon/vigor upgrade paths? Just got to
Finkton
and I haven't experienced any real controller-snapping frustration points yet.

My game is starting up in a Twilight Zone-esque window mode on PC. It's not completely windowed, but not completely fullscreen either. A variation of the two. The taskbar is not visible and the right side is fine, but the top and left side are in windowed mode. It didn't usually do this, only started a few days ago. Before that it was fine.

hmmm... 10 hrs in... still not really getting combat. Having a hard time against those cyborg bald guys... :/

And things tend to love being 'immune' to vigors :(

Been mostly using force lift and lightning, shotgun and sniper, but mostly with what ammo I can find.

And is it just me, or do enemies sometimes monster closet spawn? I'm pretty sure guys attacked me from behind, where they shouldn't be able to.

Cudder

Oh, I never got tired of dropping down on guys with a skyline-strike. Any excuse to use those things (the skylines) even more was fantastic.

Any other advice on load-outs, weapon/vigor upgrade paths? Just got to
Finkton
and I haven't experienced any real controller-snapping frustration points yet.

Shawn combo. Though I replaced one of the perks in it with Brittle Skinned. Absolutely wrecked shit on my 1999 playthrough.

Shawn combo. Though I replaced one of the perks in it with Brittle Skinned. Absolutely wrecked shit on my 1999 playthrough.

I love that that's its name now! Sounds good. I just have to find a few gear pick-up points and reload a few times, make sure I'm getting the items I'll need.

It says combos, but what are the combos?

Bucking Bronco + Charge
Bucking Bronco + Devil’s Kiss
Devil’s Kiss + Charge
Murder of Crows + Devil’s Kiss
Murder of Crows + Shock Jockey
Possession + Devil’s Kiss
Possession + Shock Jockey
Undertow + Shock Jockey

Grisby

Finished my 1999 run. Last battle only took me two tries. All about managing your best resource.

1999 mode allowed me to enjoy the combat a lot more than on my first go through. Performance can sure drop on the 360 though, which is a shame especially considering the game took so long to come out.

I hate that depressing feeling of knowing i will never produce anything that gave me half the thoughts, emotions, or thrills i just experienced after finish some sort of entertainment, be it a book movie or game in this case.

1999 mode update. UGH. That group of Vox outside of
Port Prosperity
is INCREDIBLY difficult. It's just that one section that I feel like is broken/unbalanced, even on other playthroughs.

So what are the big changes in 1999 mode? I'm about half-way through my 1999 playthrough and it doesn't seem perceptibly different than hard. I get that running out of money means you go back a checkpoint instead of revive, and that you can't use nav arrows, but I didn't have those in my hard playthrough either.

MYE

I accidentally
pissed off the hungry mob kicking the vending machine in the slums and had to kill them.
I hope there wont be severe consequences for doing it (?) :(

I'm currently
finding the 3 tears after releasing Ghost Mother from he crypt.
How far am I?
This game is amazing!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Recommended setup for tackling 1999 mode?

I accidentally
pissed off the hungry mob kicking the vending machine in the slums and had to kill them.
I hope there wont be severe consequences for doing it (?) :(

I'm currently
finding the 3 tears after releasing Ghost Mother from he crypt.
How far am I?
This game is amazing!

No consequences whatsoever.

As for your position, just a teensy bit more and you're done!

pa22word

Recommended setup for tackling 1999 mode?

Hand Cannon (headshots kill all standard enemies in one shot, and it does insane damage against the big boys) and a knock back weapon of your choice (shotty, volly gun, etc) will carry you through the end of the game pretty easily. Level shields and salts exclusively, as your health bar is worthless. Make good use of return to sender and possession for an easy time against standard foes, and use undertow to make the big boys entirely trivial. Really all the game's difficulty stems from spawning enemies behind you to catch you off guard and spamming medium-long range hitscan weapon wielding enemies to chip you out. The former is pretty much negated on a second run, and the latter can be alleviated via exclusive leveling of shields and heavy use of return to sender. Early-mid game you're going to have to get a bit creative with some of your plasmids to avoid the hitscan chip damage, but really if you know the spawns the game is incredibly easy even on '99 mode.

Darkgran

Just finished it.

Loved most everything about it except the combat which was I thought was lacking. Loved the story and the ending was fantastic.

Overall one of my favorite games this generation.

Edit: I kind of agree it shouldn't have been a shooter....

Slurmer

Banned
Started 1999 playthrough. Got to the crows vigor. Vigor happens to fall in/behind a bush and I cannot pick it up. Tried to restart checkpoint and now the vigor is gone completely. Can I purchase this later or is it gone?

pargonta

Started 1999 playthrough. Got to the crows vigor. Vigor happens to fall in/behind a bush and I cannot pick it up. Tried to restart checkpoint and now the vigor is gone completely. Can I purchase this later or is it gone?

can you even progress without triggering the next enemy spawn in that area by picking it up, is my question. i believe there are gates blocking progress, but i may be misremembering.

but more than it being purchasable, i know other vigor bottles are likely laying around somewhere.
idk.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hand Cannon (headshots kill all standard enemies in one shot, and it does insane damage against the big boys) and a knock back weapon of your choice (shotty, volly gun, etc) will carry you through the end of the game pretty easily. Level shields and salts exclusively, as your health bar is worthless. Make good use of return to sender and possession for an easy time against standard foes, and use undertow to make the big boys entirely trivial. Really all the game's difficulty stems from spawning enemies behind you to catch you off guard and spamming medium-long range hitscan weapon wielding enemies to chip you out. The former is pretty much negated on a second run, and the latter can be alleviated via exclusive leveling of shields and heavy use of return to sender. Early-mid game you're going to have to get a bit creative with some of your plasmids to avoid the hitscan chip damage, but really if you know the spawns the game is incredibly easy even on '99 mode.

Return to Sender eh? Hmmmm. Never used it on my Normal playthrough.

So, handcannon and shotgun. When is the earliest you can snag a handcannon? It's going to be a while before it shows up, IIRC.

can you even progress without triggering the next enemy spawn in that area by picking it up, is my question. i believe there are gates blocking progress, but i may be misremembering.

but more than it being purchasable, i know other vigor bottles are likely laying around somewhere.
idk.

Hell, you can even sequence-break the part where you need the Possession vigor on the fair earlier (meaning you can skip getting Possession completely there) and yet the game compensates for this by allowing you to buy Possession later. Pretty awesome.

pa22word

Return to Sender eh? Hmmmm. Never used it on my Normal playthrough.

Return to sender is the best vigor in the game, really. It absorbs all incoming damage for a few seconds on press, and on hold absorbs all incoming damage until you let go, then lets you toss the damage back in the form of a giant grenade back to the enemy. On normal where you can essentially never die unless you try to, it's usage isn't that warranted but on '99 where all the hitscan chip can kill you pretty fast in conjunction with the big boys hurling projectiles it's a godsend that can mean the difference between being out a couple hundred bones and ending the fight virtually unscathed.

So, handcannon and shotgun. When is the earliest you can snag a handcannon? It's going to be a while before it shows up, IIRC.

When the game gives it to you, akaik. I subsidised my shotgun with the carbine until I got it on my first run, but upon playing the pc version (where I got a free season pass due to gmg shenanigans) and getting a free damage upgraded pistol to start the game I've noticed that it makes a pretty great little substitute until I can get the hand-cannon again.

Really though, the hand-cannon is the best all around gun in the game due to its sheer versatility. It's range is as far as you can shoot it, and its damage output is out of this world. I would also recommend grabbing the volly gun, too. The game gives you a surprising amount of ammo for it considering it's utility as a high-damage weapon, and it can seriously end entire fights with a couple rounds if you can corner some fools with it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Looked up the voice actor for Booker and it said Booker's alias was Comstock.

Man........... I am so sorry, that must have been suck real bad, hahaha.

Speaking of voice acting, fans of Persona4 should find it pretty hard to feel immersed with Booker. Can't help but to imagine Kanji every time he opens his mouth :\\\\\\\\\

Top Bottom