• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin price skyrockets, crashes, rinse, repeat, internet starts investing in tulips

tokkun

IIRC, this mad inflation was meant to happen. I read an article a couple of years back that said it would have inflation in the 1000s of percent as Bitcoins are still being mined, but eventually it will settle as the addition of new coins to the market slows.

At least, that's what I understood from it.

This isn't inflation, it's deflation.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
This isn't inflation, it's deflation.

Yeah, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I saw a graph and it went way up, and then it leveled off.

So wait, if the value of the currency is going up, why is it called deflation? Is it because inflation is what happens to goods and services but if the currency is climbing then it's deflation?

Yeah, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I saw a graph and it went way up, and then it leveled off.

So wait, if the value of the currency is going up, why is it called deflation? Is it because inflation is what happens to goods and services but if the currency is climbing then it's deflation?

If you need more dollars to buy x (value of currency decreased), its inflation. If you need less dollars to buy x, (value of currency increased) that is deflation. The confusion comes from how we talk about 'price inflation' meaning costs increased. But this occurs when the value of currency goes down.

RJT

If Bitcoins were a currency, this would be deflation. Since it's just an asset, it's not.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I have about 10 bitcoins... what now?

look at a graph on mt.gox, wait for it to be high and sell it, make yourself about 5k? (depending on day)

If Bitcoins were a currency, this would be deflation. Since it's just an asset, it's not.
didn't US just rule it a currency? *

*disclaimer I did not read the ruling

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Can someone give me a 2-3 sentence summary of how this works like you're talking to a toddler? I read the Wikipedia entry 3 times and I still have no idea.

Dunno why it's so hard in this age with shit like MS points or Steam bucks or whatever. It's virtual currency that can be used across a variety of stores. The difference is it's an anonymous marketplace and bitcoins aren't created by funding them with cash but rather mining them from algorithms. The actual market for them though, just pretend that they were a real currency and supply and demand dictated the price.. that's it. But in this case bitcoins are actually limited to something like 20 million . And of course the market isn't backed or protected by anything so it's not the safest investment.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone give me a 2-3 sentence summary of how this works like you're talking to a toddler? I read the Wikipedia entry 3 times and I still have no idea.

machines do increasingly hard problems. when they succeed, other machines check they succeeded, if they agree a 'coin' is created.

that coin is then owned by the person that 'found' it. these coins can be bought or sold on a market. like other foreign currencies. they can also be used on a number of increasing shops.

Had some bitcoins mined a couple years ago...is it impossible to get them back if I wiped my computer since then?
yup. if you had backed up your 'wallet' somewhere you would still have them. bummer dude. on the bright side you probably only lost a grand or 3 .

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Here's a simple example as to why someone would buy them. I want to buy illegal guns. I know an underground supplier who has a bitcoin wallet. I buy some bitcoins for $500 from the market. I buy $1000 worth of guns and send him two coins. He can cash them out on the market for his cash or hold them to see if the value goes up. And all of this is anonymous.

Edit: fuck I meant to edit the last post not make a new reply

Coreda

Bitcoin in general? It's an anonymous, decentralized peer-to-peer virtual currency network. Using an app a user creates a unique wallet file which is used to store bitcoins. Bitcoins can be made by exchanging other currencies into BTC, selling goods, or 'mining'.

Users on the network are identified by others on the network by random-looking character addresses (eg: 12c115cc8ff36a5....). These addresses are used to send bitcoins to other users. Any number of these can be randomly created for each user from a private master key that you keep safe. This allows users to change addresses and preserve anonymity over time, if they like.

Every transaction made on the Bitcoin network is recorded and saved. Everyone on the network receives a copy of these virtual receipts. This is called the block-chain, as periodically volumes of receipts are added to the chain in 'blocks'.

For more on 'mining' see my earlier post.

Now that Wall Street and the big money institutions are involved in Bit Coin, I'm quite comfortable ignoring it, although I used to kick myself for it. They're going to fuck people for their own gain, just like they do everything else eventually.

Macmanus

I think I'm just going to dump $500 in LTC, ignore it for half a decade, and hope that cryptocurrency is as inevitable as it seems. Pretty low risk - high reward gamble at this point.

Now that Wall Street and the big money institutions are involved in Bit Coin, I'm quite comfortable ignoring it, although I used to kick myself for it. They're going to fuck people for their own gain, just like they do everything else eventually.

Fundamental ignorance on how both Wall St and cryptocurrency functions.

I think I'm just going to dump $500 in LTC, ignore it for half a decade, and hope that cryptocurrency is as inevitable as it seems. Pretty low risk - high reward gamble at this point.

Fundamental ignorance on how both Wall St and cryptocurrency functions.

The London Taxi Company?

edit: actually no, I understand it quite well, thanks.

Macmanus

The London Taxi Company?

edit: actually no, I understand it quite well, thanks.

Then please enlighten me how Wall St is going to fuck me out of cryptocurrency now that they're involved? Also explain how they're involved? The main exchanges are still Mt Gox and BTCe. Neither with Wall St ties. Investing in BTC or CC in general is considered extremely speculative at best. You can't wrap BTC in to a mutual fund, a hedge, an investment trust, or really any package. All they (street investors) can do is trade it like an OTC equity - just like you or me.

So please I beg you, as a financial analyst, tell me what mechanics Wall St will employ that deters you so much. Since you understand it quite well.

Dunno why it's so hard in this age with shit like MS points or Steam bucks or whatever. It's virtual currency that can be used across a variety of stores. The difference is it's an anonymous marketplace and bitcoins aren't created by funding them with cash but rather mining them from algorithms.
So in other words it's nothing like MS points or Steam bucks?

Frolow

Banned
In my mind Bitcoins are still "magic internet money" and are probably never going to take off. Regardless, where can I go to exchange $10 into bitcoins? Just incase.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The reason it goes up in price is simple; it is expected to be more broadly used in the future, some think it will be the one of the main currencies one day.

So demand would rise in the future. 700$ means nothing, you can't really judge the value without knowing how much it would be in demand in the future. It could be too high, or low. I think it's probably still low since it's not mainstream. That means bitcoin at 3k would not be surprising eventually.

kick51

Banned
How has LiteCoin been doing? Is that viable or making any kind of impact on Bit?

There was a huge jump that coincided with the bitcoin spike. Some of the same people who championed bitcoin are now doing the same for litecoin. China buys up litecoin as well (they were apparently worth $50 there yesterday? if i heard correctly.) Apparently its capabilities are a bit improved from regular btc? It seems to be sustaining around $6-7 and gets bought up when it starts to dip lower. It's not doing a whole lot but sitting there, very slowly gaining some steam....isn't this story familiar?!

Basically, if you have any faith in bitcoin surviving + growing either as a currency or as a random-as-fuck do-nothing commodity, you should be crapping your pants to buy $7 litecoins right now.

There are a couple things that still need to happen before LTC takes off, but its position purely as "second place" seems to ensure a healthy future to me. So, I've thrown in a small chunk to live or die.

kick51

Banned
Too bad for Ron Paul that most people buy bitcoins only because they want more US dollars. Virtually every post in this, or any other, bitcoin thread is about how much people want US dollars.

and chinese people are buying BTC so they can get rid of their dollars because the dollar is too insecure.

Pedrito

Too bad for Ron Paul that most people buy bitcoins only because they want more US dollars. Virtually every post in this, or any other, bitcoin thread is about how much people want US dollars.

Yeah. I don't get why some people think it could become a legitimate and popular currency when the only reason it's relevant right now is because you can make a quick buck because of its ridiculous volatility. There's a reason why the US dollar is the most popular currency around the world: stability. Why would a serious company accept paiement in bitcoins when its value can fluctuate by 30-40% in a matter of hours?

It needs stability to become legit but it also needs to be legit to gain stability. As of right now, it's like an internet stock from the dot.com bubble. It doesn't really do anything useful, but hey, you can make a 30% profit in a few days so let's buy some!

considering they endorsed it a couple days ago and that it's impossible to ban, I'd say never.

guess again-- generic bitcoin posts on gaf are generally stuck in the dark ages, thinking it's a "scam" or that it's going to die forever for real this time or any number of idiotic things that people come up with when they guess at things before informing themselves.

then the next bubble comes and goes and they're all "see! it was a bubble!" lolllllllllllllllllllll

oh my we have a true believer over here!

Kinyou

Goddammit, every time I'm like "well it's not going to skyrocket ever again"

maybe I should just buy a couple when they hit a low again.

FreezeSSC

I tried to buy Like 1k worth back when they were around $50, but was put off by how sketchy it was to grt money into the exchanges. I bang my head every day I see those prices go up.

On that note what's the chances of litecoin taking off like bitcoin??

Frolow

Banned
I tried to buy Like 1k worth back when they were around $50, but was put off by how sketchy it was to grt money into the exchanges. I bang my head every day I see those prices go up.

I just did the calculations. Shit man....

Keyouta

I want to know this too. I know they jumped 123% when Bitcoin hit $900 a couple days ago. Litecoin is cheap enough right now too.

Also, related:
BUjp3rp.png

OzPinoy

Banned
Banging my flapping head at this miss opportunity. I was working during 2011 and didn't invest in bitcoin. Gahhh stupid me....

Will check out litecoin.

Roubjon

I always assumed bitcoins were this geeky currency used to avoid PayPal or something so I completely ignored it. Damn, I heard about them years ago too. It's crazy to consider that spending $5000 on bitcoins back then could have made me a multi-millionaire now.

Roubjon

Guys, I'm young. Now's the time to invest right? I have nothing to lose!?

Is this shit safe? I honestly have no idea.

Aesius

Even if I had invested in Bitcoin, I'm certain I would have cashed out long before it's current price. No way I would have sat on them this long while worrying it could come crashing down at any minute.

Roubjon

Even if I had invested in Bitcoin, I'm certain I would have cashed out long before it's current price. No way I would have sat on them this long while worrying it could come crashing down at any minute.

image.php

Have some faith in yourself bro.

Fusebox

Banned
Oh come on! That half a BC I lost to the SR bust would buy me an ounce of weed now, it barely bought me half a q last time I used BC.

Top Bottom