• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin price skyrockets, crashes, rinse, repeat, internet starts investing in tulips

whitehawk

Banned
I want to know this too. I know they jumped 123% when Bitcoin hit $900 a couple days ago. Litecoin is cheap enough right now too.

Also, related:
BUjp3rp.png
Oh my god. I would have to lie down for a while if I were him... That's over 3 million...

FLEABttn

Banned
I always assumed bitcoins were this geeky currency used to avoid PayPal or something so I completely ignored it.

Well, yes, but they're being floated as an investment vehicle, with in this case the vehicle that people are investing in is the hope that someone else invests in it after they do.

Guys, I'm young. Now's the time to invest right? I have nothing to lose!?

Why would you invest when prices are at all time highs? Unless you think that these are going to $2000 year.

Is this shit safe? I honestly have no idea.

Hell no, it's volatile as fuck.

muu

You could go in at 700 and reap a nice profit when it hits 1000. Or wait till it hits 2000.

Seriously, might as well go gambling. It's far from a guaranteed venture, and when prices go down and people flip out you could see it dip in value like crazy.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Well, now that I'm done kicking myself over this...serious question time: Where do I buy up some litecoin?

Edit: Also, is it worth it to mine these?

studyguy

Oh my god. I would have to lie down for a while if I were him... That's over 3 million...

3million

That's piddles. CHUMP CHANGE.
Behold, the tale of the guy who bought a pizza for 10k bitcoins.
It was worth 2 Million in April when they were trading at $234/ea
Now? Ohhohohohohoho. At the time of course that was barely enough.

New people to bitcoins don't even know some of the dumb stories that roll around about using bitcoins for nonsense early on en masse.

3million

That's piddles. CHUMP CHANGE.
Behold, the tale of the guy who bought a pizza for 10k bitcoins.
It was worth 2 Million in April when they were trading at $234/ea
Now? Ohhohohohohoho. At the time of course that was barely enough.

New people to bitcoins don't even know some of the dumb stories that roll around about using bitcoins for nonsense early on en masse.

And that's why bitcoin is not a currency and why nobody should treat it like one. It's a speculative (digital) asset with no known use! Quite amazing.

Kinyou

But would it really work like that? I mean you'd have to find people who want to buy those bitcoins for 3 million, right? And I guess when a single bitcoin is worth 700$ than people are going to do anything but buying

So aside from legitimate ways to turn bitcoins into other currency, what ways are people going about cashing them out? I'm referring to the people that have tons of bitcoins and would want to cash them out for tens of thousands of dollars. I'm also curious about the implications of rolling those funds into a bank account and whether or not you'd trigger some type of laundering alert.

Keyouta

But would it really work like that? I mean you'd have to find people who want to buy those bitcoins for 3 million, right? And I guess when a single bitcoin is worth 700$ than people are going to do anything but buying

You don't have to buy them whole. They're divisible. I can buy 0.0002 bitcoins if I want.

FoxSpirit

Guys, I'm young. Now's the time to invest right? I have nothing to lose!?

Is this shit safe? I honestly have no idea.
I heard from some knowledgable traders that you can still make good money from carefull trading for a few more years. But they said an end is in sight, at least for good trading profits.

Javaman

If I were to invest in bit coins, it sure wouldn't be the actual coins with the risk of losing access to my wallet or the difficulty in finding a buyer if the exchanges are busy/knocked out. Surely there's a stock or mutual fund that tracks the bitcoin prices and is easier to trade.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'd say cash your bitcoins in right now. This thing is going to crash so hard probably.

That's what people said at $10.
That's what people said at $40.
That's what people said at $100.
That's what people said at $250.
That's what people said at $500.

There's no way to know.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I'd say cash your bitcoins in right now. This thing is going to crash so hard probably.

Arent e-money things (bit/lite coins) their own bubble that'll eventually burst themselves?

Too many different types in the market will kill it eventually? How does this shit work?

studyguy

So aside from legitimate ways to turn bitcoins into other currency, what ways are people going about cashing them out? I'm referring to the people that have tons of bitcoins and would want to cash them out for tens of thousands of dollars. I'm also curious about the implications of rolling those funds into a bank account and whether or not you'd trigger some type of laundering alert.

localbitcoins.com

Made 300 clean a week ago like a fucking moron.
It's not just magic money out of nowhere though, it's taxed, at least here it is after a certain gain. Don't fuck with the IRS, kids. They make the rules to win the game.

That's what people said at $10.
That's what people said at $40.
That's what people said at $100.
That's what people said at $250.
That's what people said at $500.

There's no way to know.

And that's exactly how (mostly random) winners and losers are born when they gamble.

noquarter

If I were to invest in bit coins, it sure wouldn't be the actual coins with the risk of losing access to my wallet or the difficulty in finding a buyer if the exchanges are busy/knocked out. Surely there's a stock or mutual fund that tracks the bitcoin prices and is easier to trade.
This is what I want to find, a company that is not invested in BTC, or other Cryptos, but has a link and can get mad profit with little risk. Don't think I'm going to find it.

On the other hand, if a company comes out that is willing to take some risk and make BTC/USD trades seamless I might think about investing in them. A Currency Exchange that is able to issue cards or something. Wish I would have paid more attention in Economics and had the time to try to come up with something.

I'm trying to figure out how to mine lite coins right now. I am so, so confused.
Take your time and be patient. It doesn't take a whole lot to do, just look at some FAQs and experiment and you will have success. Just know you need a few good Graphics cards if you want profits.

whitehawk

Banned
This is what I want to find, a company that is not invested in BTC, or other Cryptos, but has a link and can get mad profit with little risk. Don't think I'm going to find it.

On the other hand, if a company comes out that is willing to take some risk and make BTC/USD trades seamless I might think about investing in them. A Currency Exchange that is able to issue cards or something. Wish I would have paid more attention in Economics and had the time to try to come up with something.

Take your time and be patient. It doesn't take a whole lot to do, just look at some FAQs and experiment and you will have success. Just know you need a few good Graphics cards if you want profits.
A few? Oh jeez

ISOM

If I had 10k - 30k to throwaway I would definitely buy into bitcoins. I think it's going to go over 1k soon.

Falcs

Banned
How the hell do people find out about this stuff early on? I would have invested in bitcoins had I heard about it years ago when they were less than $10. But of course I only first heard of bitcoins like 2 weeks ago.
Where do you find interesting new things to invest in like this?

Coreda

Goddammit, every time I'm like "well it's not going to skyrocket ever again"

maybe I should just buy a couple when they hit a low again.

It's possible to buy less than one whole bitcoin; they can be divided up to 8 decimal places. One could buy $50 worth of BTC for example.

Of course you wouldn't exchange it out all at once lol, you could spread your wallet into multiple accounts and exchange out that way if you really wanted.

jsnepo

That reminds me, I have a miner that runs in the background of my computer. I'm not even sure if the wallet has completely synched. Last time I checked was months ago.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Something something tulips, something! :p

ISOM

So when are we going to make a bitcoin OT where we all pool our money together and try to manipulate the market?

You assume the market is not being manipulated by people who have millions or billions. I doubt whatever money that can be scrounged up on neogaf will challenge that.

Damnit I see lite coin has had a pretty big increase based on percent also. I was going to buy some a few weeks ago when they we're 3 bucks a pop, but I couldn't figure out how. Now it's 7. :( I still have no idea how to buy.

Heard about Bitssome time ago ... didn't get it.

Understanding it better now but I STILL have no clue how to get this stuff going :/

Like mining. How much can you mine? How long does it take? Can I just be like "I aint doing heavy shit today, might as well mine on my comp well I surf the web!"? Or does it take all the cunning of my Laptop to Mine?

How long does it take to mine a Bitcoin?

Heard about Bitssome time ago ... didn't get it.

Understanding it better now but I STILL have no clue how to get this stuff going :/

Like mining. How much can you mine? How long does it take? Can I just be like "I aint doing heavy shit today, might as well mine on my comp well I surf the web!"? Or does it take all the cunning of my Laptop to Mine?

How long does it take to mine a Bitcoin?

your laptop won't be able to mine 1 BTC for months.. possibly years. i know of people that spent $10,000 on mining equipment only for it to become useless after 3-5 months, no ROI. just buy when its low and sell high.. repeat the process

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
I'm not an expert, but as hackaphile I find this stuff amazing.

BTC is interesting because it basically created its own legitimacy. The number of total bitcoins are almost finite since the method of creating them gets harder with every BTC transaction (mining involves hashing the record of BTC transactions) and how hard this is is accelerating faster than computer performance is. It's secure because the list of all bitcoins transactions, called the block chain, (kinda like a BTC central bank) is duplicated everywhere bitcoins are mined. Basically an un-robbable un-manipulatable bank. To forge any transaction you'd have to forge the same section in every copy of the block chain around the world. So a bit coin is an object that can't be counterfeited and has a limited supply hence why it has rising value.

The only reason why BTC has more legitimacy than other cryptocurrency is because so many people bought into it (miners, people willing to use it in real transactions). Anyone can make a similar currency from nothing, hence why there are spinoffs like litecoin and peercoin. Basically someone invented digital gold. Gold is valuable mainly because it is scarce and limited and that is why it became a currency.

Though I'm going to laugh if some super mathematician becomes a fast billionaire by secretly developing an algorithm to partially dehash solutions to dramatically reduce the brute force time. Then they'll probably just change the hashing problems for bitcoin mining.

Top Bottom