• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitcoin price skyrockets, crashes, rinse, repeat, internet starts investing in tulips

kick51

Banned
"Valentines Day Massacre" - the trollbox

i'd like to play some games but not when LTC is dropping a buck every time i F5.

how much do you wanna bet that dentist is a libertarian?

there's a joke in there about sending you home with a tank of nitrous, silk road, etc. but i can't think of it

slow crash is slow. recovery might be slow too?
I think so. Hoping by April I can cash out at least a bit (or possibly all but depends on how things are) and use the money for my vacation!

But MTGox still has the highest volume does it not? I mean I see 40,000 or so on Gox and then 29,000 BTC on BTCE.

We need a way for GOX to be gone. It is bringing down the price on other exchanges.

GNqe8bp.jpg

Poor guys. You gotta be in bad to show up there and do that. One guy posted on reddit he flew to Japan for that very purpose to protest, not sure if one of those guys is the same one.

Mtgox just basically said they're making the changes to code and also still planning on adding LTC. Lol fucking dickheads. Adding LTC now will cause barely a blip unfortunately. Also I doubt they ever do add LTC before going under.

paile

Banned
You cannot believe how much this happens with people. BTC goes up and people shout TO THE MOON. BTC goes down and people shout GET YOUR MONIES OUT AND RUN. Honestly now is the time people should be keeping their eyes open and looking to buy in; not yet but soon.

Here, look at this chart - http://www.cryptocoincharts.info/v2/pair/btc/usd/bitstamp/6-months

Classic bubble. All the hallmarks of one. Big spike, sell off, recovery falling short of first spike, now fall back to historical trend line. Seen it with bitcoin before. I remember once it blew up from $US1 to $US30 and then crashed back to $US5. Doesn't matter whether it's at $1, $100 or a $1,000, the basic principle always remains the same. BTC hitting 1k USD was the result of another massive bubble fueled by speculation. Now the price is headed back to the historical trend line pre-bubble, around $US100-200. Could well be oversold sending it to down around $US50. I'd estimate the price of BTC will fall and stabilise at around $US150 for several months to come at least.

The next major bubble down the track, could be six months, could be a year, will send BTC into the multiple thousands. Just watch. Correctly pick the bottom here and you could well win big time down the line if you stay in.

kick51

Banned
everyone hates gox right this minute, but when they announce that they've fixed their shit, boom boom straight to the moon

lol @ the pic of those guys. Is this what new money bitcoin millionaires do? ffs

I got back in at 13.5 yesterday, very happy with that!

everyone hates gox right this minute, but when they announce that they've fixed their shit, boom boom straight to the moon

lol @ the pic of those guys. Is this what new money bitcoin millionaires do? ffs

I got back in at 13.5 yesterday, very happy with that!
No one in their right mind regardless of Gox fixing anything will ever go back to them. If they ever fully open up withdrawals of coins with no issues I'd expect volume would drop to zilch. And congrats 13.5 is a nice number! Sure it may and probably go lower, but you can't always be waiting for the bottom or you'll miss out.

kick51

Banned
No one in their right mind regardless of Gox fixing anything will ever go back to them. If they ever fully open up withdrawals of coins with no issues I'd expect volume would drop to zilch. And congrats 13.5 is a nice number! Sure it may and probably go lower, but you can't always be waiting for the bottom or you'll miss out.

i dunno, that's what people said last time. gox is the call of duty of exchanges

yeah, i was considering selling at 17.25 yesterday to play waves, since that was obviously too high for the moment, but I'm a lot easier going on the trigger finger when I get in that low and I am a bit sick of watching charts to play waves.

if it gets back up to $30 this year, I'll be happy. $50 would be awesome.

edit: the weird story from this crash is that doge boomed while everything crashed. so weird.

paile

Banned
Bitcoin is crashing hard on Gox, now around $250. I made the mistake of transferring Bitcoin into Gox and quickly realised I can't get it out. Haven't really been paying attention to what's being going on with their whole withdrawal debacle so I stuffed up a bit there. So...since it's basically useless sitting on the exchange I've decided to short it instead. Sold what I had off at $256.

Now eventually Gox is going to get their shit together and reopen withdrawals. When it does Gox price will equilibrise with other exchanges and their price will go right back up. Hope it crashes to like $10 a coin.

i believe this all happen due to the constant bitcoin network attacks and the hacking of silk road 2.. i think the network attacks are still going on by people that are looking to bring down the coin to a price they would invest in. the price will eventually rise.

kick51

Banned
i had a notification that someone made an attempt on my account...i think it was december or early January. thank you based Keepass

if a gox crash makes the other exchanges go haywire, i'll sit at my current ltc buy in price and just buy in more at the bottom. is this what discipline feels like?!

Bitcoin is crashing hard on Gox, now around $250. I made the mistake of transferring Bitcoin into Gox and quickly realised I can't get it out. Haven't really been paying attention to what's being going on with their whole withdrawal debacle so I stuffed up a bit there. So...since it's basically useless sitting on the exchange I've decided to short it instead. Sold what I had off at $256.

Now eventually Gox is going to get their shit together and reopen withdrawals. When it does Gox price will equilibrise with other exchanges and their price will go right back up. Hope it crashes to like $10 a coin.
Damn dude not to rub salt in the wound but have you been completely offline to go and deposit coins there not knowing everything that's going on for months now with them?

And $10 a coin? On Gox or everywhere? If it ever got that low again everywhere, there would be no going up from that. The coin would be dead at that point. So to hope it crashes to $10 and expect it to then bounce back up to $1000 is really dumb. On Gox $10 is and probably $0 will come eventually. Let's hope so. Would be the best thing to happen to bitcoin.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You cannot believe how much this happens with people. BTC goes up and people shout TO THE MOON. BTC goes down and people shout GET YOUR MONIES OUT AND RUN. Honestly now is the time people should be keeping their eyes open and looking to buy in; not yet but soon.

Here, look at this chart - http://www.cryptocoincharts.info/v2/pair/btc/usd/bitstamp/6-months

Classic bubble. All the hallmarks of one. Big spike, sell off, recovery falling short of first spike, now fall back to historical trend line. Seen it with bitcoin before. I remember once it blew up from $US1 to $US30 and then crashed back to $US5. Doesn't matter whether it's at $1, $100 or a $1,000, the basic principle always remains the same. BTC hitting 1k USD was the result of another massive bubble fueled by speculation. Now the price is headed back to the historical trend line pre-bubble, around $US100-200. Could well be oversold sending it to down around $US50. I'd estimate the price of BTC will fall and stabilise at around $US150 for several months to come at least.

The next major bubble down the track, could be six months, could be a year, will send BTC into the multiple thousands. Just watch. Correctly pick the bottom here and you could well win big time down the line if you stay in.

Been saying for a while it looked like this:
wjHe2BK.png

Darkkn

Bought my first 0.3 Bitcoins!

Used localcoins.com to buy my coins, everything went ok, but it's not exactly a convenient way to buy into Bitcoins. Is there a more convenient way to buy Bitcoins in EU? My wallet provider(coinbase) would be nice if they accepted non-US bank accounts...

One of the things i've wondered about Bitcoins is that how would taxing be handled with it? Seems to me like anonymity would favor the "1%" way more than others since they don't spend majority of their wealth so VAT's would not be effective form of gathering taxes from the rich. Also the 21M limit of Bitcoins in circulation would really mostly benefit those who have so much that they don't need to use everything they have(the rich).

The Mule

Been saying for a while it looked like this:
wjHe2BK.png

the problem with this graph is that it doesn't apply across the entire life of btc. this same pattern occurs multiple times throughout its life, and it's almost impossible to predict where on the graph you are at any given time

paile

Banned
And $10 a coin? On Gox or everywhere? If it ever got that low again everywhere, there would be no going up from that. The coin would be dead at that point. So to hope it crashes to $10 and expect it to then bounce back up to $1000 is really dumb. On Gox $10 is and probably $0 will come eventually. Let's hope so. Would be the best thing to happen to bitcoin.

I think you have a misunderstanding of how markets work. And more specifically how volatile crypto currencies have always been.

Bitcoin has done much of that before. I remember when it hit $33 a few years ago. The usual chorus or speculators this and overvalued that rang about. Bitcoin dropped back to $5 (everyone thought it was dead yadda yadda - I was sort of one of them) and where did it peak a month back? $1100.

In that earlier instance it lost 6.6 times it's value at its peak. The equivalent now would be around $150. With Gox in particular and being unable to get money out I wouldn't be surprised if it went lower, although yes $10 would be certainly pushing it. That was more wishful thinking than anything else.

The problem with all this is the same as it always has been. When bitcoin was 1 cent. The idea of it being $1 was ridiculed. When it was $1 the idea of it being $100 was ridiculed. Now it has hit $1000 would you ridicule me if it said it could one day hit $100k? Almost certainly. Yet, what you have is simple, exponential growth in an extremely young and volatile market. The inability of people to understand this will always mean they miss the boat time and time again and always wonder why.

I am also not concerned about my money (not really my money) in Gox. They've had worse crises than this.

I think its clear that no one knows wtf they're talking about when it comes to bitcoins. Almost every prediction I've read has been wrong.

Kinda. All markets follow the same basic pattern that Ether-Snake posted. The reason is that markets ARE predictable to an extent because they're based off of predictable human psychology. Traders will look for patterns in candlestick charts, levels of support/resistance, trend lines etc to determine the ideal moment to buy in and sell off.

kick51

Banned
sup

"Tokyo, Japan, February 17th, 2014

Dear MtGox Customers,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the recent suspension of external bitcoin transfers. Fortunately, as we announced on Saturday we have now implemented a solution that should enable withdrawals and mitigate any issues caused by transaction malleability (please see our previous statements for details on this issue).

Thanks to our friends at Blockchain.info, MtGox now has a workaround that will use a unique identifier created by Blockchain to show whether transactions have been modified or not. This will prevent any fraudulent use of the malleability issue and protect the assets of our customers.

Resuming Withdrawals

With this new system in place, MtGox should be able to resume withdrawals soon. At the beginning we will do so at a moderated pace and with new daily/ monthly limits in place to prevent any problems with the new system and to take into account current market conditions.

In order to launch the new system, we are going through the following steps:

Re-indexing the entire Blockchain (approx. 32 million entries)
Fully deploying the new NTX ID
Implementing a new bitcoin withdrawal queue that needs to be tested

We will update everyone again by Thursday at the latest.

Additionally, you may have noticed that we have added a new login system that sends you an email when you successfully access your account. This is an additional security layer, but as always we strongly encourage our customers to use the 2-step authorization options available in our Security Center.

Thank you again for your support, and we look forward to resume bitcoin withdrawals as quickly as possible.

Best regards,

MtGox Team"

hopefully they implement in a timely fashion.

tokkun

i believe this all happen due to the constant bitcoin network attacks and the hacking of silk road 2.. i think the network attacks are still going on by people that are looking to bring down the coin to a price they would invest in. the price will eventually rise.

I don't think the drug market sites have as much of an impact on the price of bitcoin now as they used to. There were multiple thefts/scams that occurred in the darknet markets when btc was climbing from $400 to $1200. The impact of speculators is currently a lot greater than the people trying to use btc as a currency.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
the problem with this graph is that it doesn't apply across the entire life of btc. this same pattern occurs multiple times throughout its life, and it's almost impossible to predict where on the graph you are at any given time

Not really, the pattern can repeat. Media attention for example is easy to pinpoint when it occurred for the first time in the past few months. Random blogs don't count, but mass media does.

kick51

Banned
I don't think the drug market sites have as much of an impact on the price of bitcoin now as they used to. There were multiple thefts/scams that occurred in the darknet markets when btc was climbing from $400 to $1200. The impact of speculators is currently a lot greater than the people trying to use btc as a currency.

yeah if the main silkroad bust didn't kill it (and actually, just made it stronger), the other ones aren't gonna matter at all.

hopefully they implement in a timely fashion.
Yah mtgox and timely fashion go together real well. Today is Thursday and they just updated and guess what? Another press release and still no withdraw which followed by another drop in the market. Coins at $148 on Gox now. Those in denial (still a lot on reddit thinking gox is going to recover and go back to being market leader lol) will soon have to accept reality when things hit $0 on there. Good luck to those who have money in there which you'll never see again or for a very long time.

Easy way to make some money. Sell before mtgox is schedule to issue a press release and buy back in when it tanks. Rinse and repeat every week.

Yah mtgox and timely fashion go together real well. Today is Thursday and they just updated and guess what? Another press release and still no withdraw which followed by another drop in the market. Coins at $148 on Gox now. Those in denial (still a lot on reddit thinking gox is going to recover and go back to being market leader lol) will soon have to accept reality when things hit $0 on there. Good luck to those who have money in there which you'll never see again or for a very long time.

Easy way to make some money. Sell before mtgox is schedule to issue a press release and buy back in when it tanks. Rinse and repeat every week.

Yep. Goxprice...still too high.

It sounds like an easy way to make bitcoins. It is not, as we are learning, necessarily a way to make money.

Top Bottom