• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black myth: Wukong has broken all time concurrent player number record for a single-player game on Steam

Ali-C-Lopez.jpg
My Eyes Omg GIF by shremps

x2IC7aG.jpeg
46ZQRmd.jpeg

Bro should've wrote Hogwarts Legacy in full there. Still tho, step up from "that wizard game", when mods over there got busted playing "that wizard game" on Steam 🤣

They got problems. Nothing says white supremacy like saying a Chinese made game comes from China. Is white supremacy in the room with us right now?

Last edited:

Killer8

I'm happy the game has done well and Reee is on suicide watch, but let's be real here, half those copies will have been given away free with RTX graphics cards.

WHO THE FUCK CARES THAT THIS GAME IS GETTING MORE PLAYERS FROM CHINA? LIKE WHAAAA? LOL

It's like saying FIFA is way more popular in EUROPE. These people always with the dumbest narrative EVER lol.

"My game is selling like water"..... THEM- "YEAH, BUT 80% MONEY IS FROM CHINA"

gordon-ramsay-chef-cook-stupid-people-sandwich-9laaap7cnf78wsjd.gif

Ir's cope. When people are predisposed to have a negative view on something they will create new and arbitrary conditions of what success means as to not accept that the thing they despise is succeeding. It's a meaningless distinction but helps for the preservation of their solipsistic and deluded outlook of reality. Basically, they are incapable of taking a "L" and there will be new circumstances to make it a mixed result. For people like this, when reality does not conform to their wants and expectations, they will latch onto any reason that is seen as unrelated to their own personal biases or in support of an opposing narrative. So.... it's cope.

For this, the numbers are the numbers regardless if it "The only audience that really matters which is the West (funny how that is the subtext for people so consumed with being global citizen seeking to dismantle western colonialism) or if its the East". Money has the same value and the quantity of sales is the same. This is a phenom sales moment for Single Player games regardless if you love Chinese monkey fantasy game or if you do not. Unless ofcourse a person doesn't accept "success in the east" as being legitimate success in the gaming industry. Idk... that's kind of sounds like a bigot point of view seeing high sales in the West having more inherit value.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
WHO THE FUCK CARES THAT THIS GAME IS GETTING MORE PLAYERS FROM CHINA? LIKE WHAAAA? LOL

It's like saying FIFA is way more popular in EUROPE. These people always with the dumbest narrative EVER lol.

gordon-ramsay-chef-cook-stupid-people-sandwich-9laaap7cnf78wsjd.gif
Funnily enough, it being china makes pubs dicks get hard right away- new possible big and growing market with not much conpetition yet means business opportunity :D

I think people are just arguing that those numbers aren't proof of some sort of deliberate rejection of wokeism, which is a uniquely Western phenomenon that the average Chinese gamer has no real concept of. This game isn't posting numbers like this because players are "fed up with all the forced woke garbage in games", as someone put it on the first page of this thread. It's just a big-budget Chinese game successfully targeting a Chinese audience, and that audience just happens to be huge as fuck.

None of that is news though. We had a very strong reestablishment of that fact last year with Hogwarts Legacy. We've gotten it with the sheer number of openly progressivist/awards bait titles that haven't sold shit over the years.

Laughing at their expense might be nice, but we shouldn't forget that their infiltration of the western game industry has been successful. There's now a (otherwise solid) Spider-Man game where the main protagonists are constantly being told NPCs sexuality in quests...
well, i, for one, am not laughing. coming to grips with the fact that you are, indeed, a member of a cult, & then proceeding to make your way out of it, can be a long, painful process, particularly when it endangers friendships & careers. & i well appreciate how effective/successful these folks've been within the western white-collar world, to the point of fabricating what's fundamentally a dei-based industry. it's been astonishing, especially considering how completely irrational it all is at its core. a huge new source of employment/income anchored in nothing more than a ridiculously delusional belief system?...

which's why i feel that mike judge made one critical error in idiocracy (which's otherwise completely on target): he saw wide-spread ignorance as being something that would rise up from the bottom. it's instead been created within our universities, home of our culture's best & brightest, & completely foisted on us by our own governments & institutions. which's why it's not being willingly/easily accepted by many of us, as would be something that actually originated amongst us...

bottom line: things like the success of these 'non-approved' games need to keep happening, as often as is necessary, so as to finally break through the walls that this cult has constructed around its members, & bring home to them the true nature of what's actually going on. reality has to continue to intrude, at every opportunity. because, especially in consideration of the stakes involved, it's destined to be a drawn-out, disturbing, & disorienting experience for those involved...

Bernardougf

Yeah no shit... hope the higher ups in Sony are seeing this shit... it couldn't be better.. a SP indy game against a MP/GAAS SONY game basically launched in the same day ... talking about a wake up call ... hope some tables are being turned overthere with a lot of finger pointing... joke of a gen

Last edited:
I think people are just arguing that those numbers aren't proof of some sort of deliberate rejection of wokeism, which is a uniquely Western phenomenon that the average Chinese gamer has no real concept of. This game isn't posting numbers like this because players are "fed up with all the forced woke garbage in games", as someone put it on the first page of this thread. It's just a big-budget Chinese game successfully targeting a Chinese audience, and that audience just happens to be huge as fuck.
I do think there is another factor at play which is that players in China sees what the western media is doing as an attempt by the West to dictate to them, they don't know that Western mainstream media are actually not representative of the people there in general, but a small group of activists, so for them, this is a form of cultural imperialism and it has ticked them off.

So in a way, these wokesters are actually causing an increase in sales for this game even in China.

BossLackey

Gold Member
This game isn't posting numbers like this because players are "fed up with all the forced woke garbage in games".

I don't think that's literally ever been a deciding factor for 99% of consumers in either direction anyway. Nobody actually gives a shit if a game is or isn't "inclusive". It's just noise generated by a tiny handful of losers shouting it through the bullhorn that is X.

Last edited:
I don't think that's literally ever been a deciding factor for 99% of consumers in either direction anyway. Nobody actually gives a shit if a game is or isn't "inclusive". It's just noise generated by a tiny handful of losers shouting it through the bullhorn that is X.
This here is correct most normal people don't give a fuck about any of this noise one way or another, which is why these online battles for either side is so fucking stupid

I do think there is another factor at play which is that players in China sees what the western media is doing as an attempt by the West to dictate to them, they don't know that Western mainstream media are actually not representative of the people there in general, but a small group of activists, so for them, this is a form of cultural imperialism and it has ticked them off.

So in a way, these wokesters are actually causing an increase in sales for this game even in China.
While I don't doubt that some Chinese gamers think that way, I really, really don't think the overwhelming majority even has any idea this is going on, especially once you consider how severely limited access to Western media is in that country.

Even in the West, where this whole culture war issue is a lot more present (especially in enthusiast spaces like this one), the average Joe who's just looking to buy Hogwarts Legacy because he read Harry Potter as a kid is unlikely to be aware of all the drama surrounding either the game or the author of the books. That game didn't end up selling gangbusters because people wanted to take a stand against wokeness, but because it was a pretty good game in a franchise with absolutely massive mainstream appeal. I think that, if anything, that's even more true here.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Well, as long as the politics are Western-derived. The CCP will love pushing guidelines for Western AAA devs to put pro-China messages and politics into their games, and various censorship (i.e the R6 Siege stuff) that's globally enforced.

So we won't really get "no politics" in this case, it'd just be a different flavor of virtue-signaling & agenda. We'll probably see what happened in Hollywood mirror the games industry, where China has gotten to a point where they don't "need" Western studios to provide content for their audiences now that home-grown efforts are doing that just fine. It's a big reason why stuff like the MCU will never be "that" big in China again (unless they try a live-action Mulan type thing and screw it all up like they did with that film).

Of course, we could hope the CCP is less lax about asserting their nationalistic agendas through games, but I doubt that will be the case. FWIW the American government has done this to some extent with games in the past (COD, for example), but governments like the CCP are quite blatant and very open about it. There is some difference in that regard.

So assuming it plays out like with the Western film industry, we'll be pretty far away from having a Joker or Top Gun Maverick moment for a good while. Maybe even a decade.

....Anyway, enough of that. Just focused on the game itself, I'm very happy the team have found this success and made something that resonates with so many people. I won't be surprised if the game's already broken 5 million in sales on Steam alone, maybe even more. I don't think PS5 is going to play as big a role in the game's sales success and I'd expect overall splits to look 70:30 in favor of Steam. China is one reason for that but the other reason is, like with Helldivers 2, virtually all of the WOM and momentum is being propelled through Steam public-facing data, media focused on Steam, and content creators/streamers playing on PC.
Yep, the CCP censorship board enforces a particular kind of artificially pro-China message on Hollywood movies that want to enter the Chinese market. And if you watch movies made in China these days, they’re worlds apart from the Hong Kong heyday thanks to the nationalistic overtones, weirdly artificial pro-social moral lessons, and overall CCP influence.

It’s not as much of an issue for historical fantasy though. Wait until something set in the modern day world and it’ll feel just as off as playing Miles Morales riding an electric bicycle to go talk to people who declare their pronouns and sexual orientation when they meet you.

yurinka

That graph is just his "estimate" of the ""interest". Here you have another "estimate": 2304920% are from Uzbekistan.

Guilty_AI

Well, as long as the politics are Western-derived. The CCP will love pushing guidelines for Western AAA devs to put pro-China messages and politics into their games, and various censorship (i.e the R6 Siege stuff) that's globally enforced.

So we won't really get "no politics" in this case, it'd just be a different flavor of virtue-signaling & agenda. We'll probably see what happened in Hollywood mirror the games industry, where China has gotten to a point where they don't "need" Western studios to provide content for their audiences now that home-grown efforts are doing that just fine. It's a big reason why stuff like the MCU will never be "that" big in China again (unless they try a live-action Mulan type thing and screw it all up like they did with that film).

Of course, we could hope the CCP is less lax about asserting their nationalistic agendas through games, but I doubt that will be the case. FWIW the American government has done this to some extent with games in the past (COD, for example), but governments like the CCP are quite blatant and very open about it. There is some difference in that regard.

So assuming it plays out like with the Western film industry, we'll be pretty far away from having a Joker or Top Gun Maverick moment for a good while. Maybe even a decade.
From what i know of the creative industry there, the government doesn't enforce nationalistic agendas but do have set guidelines, mostly in terms of "morals" (stuff like no homosexuality), and naturally nothing that could be interpreted as a slight against their government or their actions.

Then again i only saw small creations, i don't know if they handle larger stuff differently. I think the most likely scenario is that, while they don't enforce pro-CCP political discourse, they'll aid the ones that do.

Last edited:
That graph is just his "estimate" of the ""interest". Here you have another "estimate": 2304920% are from Uzbekistan.
"He" is an actual data analytics company specializing in the gaming industry. You're free to come up with your own numbers, of course, but I know who I'm gonna go with lmao.

Top Bottom