• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black myth: Wukong has broken all time concurrent player number record for a single-player game on Steam

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
concord-state-of-play-grab-1.jpg
I wonder if this will even hit 0.1% of Wukong’s concurrent players.

Guilty_AI

Speculation is majority of the numbers are from China. It's 10:50pm in Beijing. So the peak is likely over for the day.
i'd argue its pretty much confirmed the overwhelming majority comes from china. Still, big releases like this tend to have higher peaks on the weekend.

New era folks. First Stellar Blade and now Wukong. There's more coming too as not only has this brought awareness to non-western games it's inspiring an entire generation of new developers over in China and Korea. The West has officially fumbled the ball.

Message to my Chinese and Korean friends, don't inject politics into your games. Please learn from our mistakes and enjoy yourselves!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
2 hours away from the launch of Concord digital deluxe version (3 days advance over the standard version).

The kids have had their fun with Wu-Kong.

Now it's time for the men to get on their Concord's (and crash and burn)

//DEVIL//

2 hours away from the launch of Concord digital deluxe version (3 days advance over the standard version).
yes this will break wukong record .. all of them dozens players.

I hope this game crashes so hard so I can see more woke management heads roll once they get fired from Sony.

Guilty_AI

New era folks. First Stellar Blade and now Wukong. There's more coming too as not only has this brought awareness to non-western games it's inspiring an entire generation of new developers over in China and Korea. The West has officially fumbled the ball.

Message to my Chinese and Korean friends, don't inject politics into your games. Please learn from our mistakes and enjoy yourselves!
I think it isn't much western-related and people just embracing alternatives to the usual companies that keep fumbling their games.

Also, i'd say the message most devs will take from this is that appealing to the chinese public pays off really well, which i guess does involve not injecting their politics onto their product.

Last edited:

Holammer

Lol. Check out Steam Top Sellers. I had to scroll down SO far for Concord. I thought maybe it wasn't working correctly, but nope, scroll down far enough and you'll find it

nuBjC5N.png
Concord is the #706'th most wishlisted game on Steam right now. Compare and contrast with Wild Assault, a Chinese furry hero shooter in development which clawed itself up to #200 (and climbing), without the positive spotlight from established gaming media Concord enjoys.

Draugoth

Gold Member

Most gamers are children followed by cis men, followed by cis women. The LGBT group is the smallest group of gamers and transgender gamers are nearly non existent. Not to pander to marginalized groups but business-wise trying to appeal to these groups in every single game is money wasting.

Last edited:
I think it isn't much western-related and people just embracing alternatives to the usual companies that keep fumbling their games.

Also, i'd say the message most devs will take from this is that appealing to the chinese public pays off really well, which i guess does involve not injecting their politics onto their product.

Well, as long as the politics are Western-derived. The CCP will love pushing guidelines for Western AAA devs to put pro-China messages and politics into their games, and various censorship (i.e the R6 Siege stuff) that's globally enforced.

So we won't really get "no politics" in this case, it'd just be a different flavor of virtue-signaling & agenda. We'll probably see what happened in Hollywood mirror the games industry, where China has gotten to a point where they don't "need" Western studios to provide content for their audiences now that home-grown efforts are doing that just fine. It's a big reason why stuff like the MCU will never be "that" big in China again (unless they try a live-action Mulan type thing and screw it all up like they did with that film).

Of course, we could hope the CCP is less lax about asserting their nationalistic agendas through games, but I doubt that will be the case. FWIW the American government has done this to some extent with games in the past (COD, for example), but governments like the CCP are quite blatant and very open about it. There is some difference in that regard.

So assuming it plays out like with the Western film industry, we'll be pretty far away from having a Joker or Top Gun Maverick moment for a good while. Maybe even a decade.

....Anyway, enough of that. Just focused on the game itself, I'm very happy the team have found this success and made something that resonates with so many people. I won't be surprised if the game's already broken 5 million in sales on Steam alone, maybe even more. I don't think PS5 is going to play as big a role in the game's sales success and I'd expect overall splits to look 70:30 in favor of Steam. China is one reason for that but the other reason is, like with Helldivers 2, virtually all of the WOM and momentum is being propelled through Steam public-facing data, media focused on Steam, and content creators/streamers playing on PC.

Top Bottom