• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops 6 Multiplayer Images and Details Have Started to Leak Online

twilo99

Gold Member
We’ll have to agree to disagree on that viewpoint!

Yes, that’s why I said it’s mostly preference because there are a lot of people who are enjoying the current CoD multiplayer. There will never be a version of CoD that appeals to whole “community”

clarky

Gold Member
I can’t tell you how disappointed I am that Treyarch will be using this new engine from now on. I absolutely hate it. MW19 and the sequels were fucking terrible, and the Treyarch engine and games have always looked and played great. This doesn’t look like a Treyarch game - it looks and sounds like every shitty COD game that’s come out since 2019 (apart from Cold War). I guess that’s COD done for me, then.
The old engine was creaking, this one is much better. I'm sure it will have that treyarch feel you're after.

The older titles all shared the same engine as well, i don't see the issue.

What exactly about the new engine don't you like?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

Uh Oh Oops GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

simpatico

Cold War is on sale right now. I keep thinking of buying it just to run the campaign. I enjoy most COD campaigns. What say you guys?

clarky

Gold Member
Shits still on last gen what exactly are you expecting?

Change of setting, few tweeks here and there. That it. Are there other things that could do with an upgrade? Of course, will we get them? probably not, still a decent game though.

They aren't going to deviate from a winning formula now are they?

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Shits still on last gen what exactly are you expecting?
Last gen? Pfff! I would hope after all these years and all of the money made they would of used a actual new engine instead of constant updates to a 1998 one.

This is why they look the same.

clarky

Gold Member
Last gen? Pfff! I would hope after all these years and all of the money made they would of used a actual new engine instead of constant updates to a 1998 one.

Pretty much every existing franchise on the market uses the same engine that they did years ago.

They are yearly releases. Who's going to build this engine? How much money do they stand to loose out if it doesn't work out? Not happening the stakes are too high.

Besides your clearly in a minority. Game sells gang busters every year.

Edit: We've had this conversation a few times no need to go over old ground. I know its not perfect.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

They haven’t used id Tech since 2005. Nearly twenty years. Most of the games run on the IW engine since then, and the post 2022 games are on 9.0.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
They haven’t used id Tech since 2005. Nearly twenty years. Most of the games run on the IW engine since then, and the post 2022 games are on 9.0.
Black OPS was Id Tech and that was 2010. They can call it IW 3.0 all they want (or 8.0 or whatever they are up to now) but it was Id Tech. It is heavily modified yes, but afaik IW did not create a completely new engine from the ground up. I am sure they have changed whatever they needed to legally to meet the requirements of the expired license at this point, but I haven't used their tech since 2011 or so I cannot say for sure.

clarky

Gold Member
Black OPS was Id Tech and that was 2010. They can call it IW 3.0 all they want (or 8.0 or whatever they are up to now) but it was Id Tech. It is heavily modified yes, but afaik IW did not create a completely new engine from the ground up. I am sure they have changed whatever they needed to legally to meet the requirements of the expired license at this point, but I haven't used their tech since 2011 or so I cannot say for sure.
You seem to know your potatoes.

Is there any long running successful franchise that has actually ditched an engine completely and wrote one from the ground up mid way through its life?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
You seem to know your potatoes.

Is there any long running successful franchise that has actually ditched an engine completely and wrote one from the ground up mid way through its life?
2010/11 was the last time I worked on AAA projects. Of the folks we worked with that still have their own engine tech:
Sony (I think PhyreEngine has been deprecated though)
Nintendo
SquareEnix (but I think they have jumped ship fully to UE at this point).
Capcom (big ups to their RE tech).
Konami had several back in the day.
EA (frostbite...but I don't think that is used on every title.)
Take 2 (RAGE)
CDPR (Red Engine....but now they use Unreal Engine I think.)

I am sure there are others, these are just the folks I am familiar with. ActBlizz, Take2, Microsoft, have tons of their own tech (usually from acquisitions) but many of the core engines are based on other tech they have purchased a modifiable license for. An example would be like Amazon did with Lumberyard (Crytek) which they later abandoned/turned into O3DE which is maintained as an Open Source 3d Engine project.

S0ULZB0URNE

Pretty much every existing franchise on the market uses the same engine that they did years ago.

They are yearly releases. Who's going to build this engine? How much money do they stand to loose out if it doesn't work out? Not happening the stakes are too high.

Besides your clearly in a minority. Game sells gang busters every year.

Edit: We've had this conversation a few times no need to go over old ground. I know its not perfect.
This is true but not only is the engine dated but its been used since the XB 360 games.

How does the engine they use put me in the minority!?

The parent company has the money and ownership of the much better Doom Eternal engine which is decades newer.

Which is still a modified Q3 engine.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
This is true but not only is the engine dated but its been used since the XB 360 games.

How does the engine they use put me in the minority!?

The parent company has the money and ownership of the much Doom Eternal engine which is decades newer.

Which is still a modified Q3 engine.
I'm not massively tech knowledgeable but i thought that was the case for alot of the engines still around today?

Blam , Creation Engine, Unreal, Rage, Id tech etc Aren't they all just heavily modified versions of themselves?

I meant that you in a minority because most people don't seem to have an issue with the engine that Activision are using for COD. I never see hardly anyone complain that their games look or run bad.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
The parent company has the money and ownership of the much better Doom Eternal engine which is decades newer.
Coming back to this point:

What would they gain by moving everything over to that engine? Genuinely curious.

Its the best selling game every year or there abouts and they have a lot of returning happy customers, would they sell a lot more by doing this do you think?

Also surely every employee would have to be brought up to speed on this new engine? On the schedule COD runs on I'd say that's not feasible? Just getting Treyarch on to the IW engine took and extra year............

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
It is easier to find contract workers or folks willing to contract with engines that are more widely available to folks.
I see makes sense. But in this case surely they'd have to retrain the army of workers that they already have? That would take a boat load of time. Maybe not, this isn't my field.

They don't seem to struggle putting out these games at a fair clip as is.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
the current id software engine won't be able to handle the big maps and high player count required for Warzone

BigLee74

High FOV probably making it look faster.

Never felt so repulsed watching a clip - had to turn it off. I don’t want to listen to some kid burping and hiccuping through a match. 😂

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
the current id software engine won't be able to handle the big maps and high player count required for Warzone

Ok but that doesn't make sense.

The troll narrative from people who will never play a COD game is that the game is still running on the engine from this game:
q301b.jpg

How could that engine do Warzone but the new version of it can't?

clarky

Gold Member
They should almost just go ahead and turn the beta on at this point

Got a text from one of my nephews last night asking if I wanted to play this weekend because he got it, says most of his friends have it and they are all playing.
Odd that they cant just turn off the servers. someone fucked up real bad this time lol.

MikeM

Gold Member
I don't understand this mentality of game companies removing player kill count and ping.

Are those know facts hurt someone feelings or something?
Ping is what I care about most. If im getting murdered, I want to know whether my connection is the issue.

splattered

Ok I broke down and watched a little of those movement clips... Holy shit that looks so damn good! Jesus I cannot wait for the full game. Movement looks insane I can't wait to get my ass handed to me by a bunch of people 30 years younger than me lmao. I have a feeling this is gonna be huge for MS/Activision. Can't wait to see more zombies warzone too.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Hopefully they do a full reset on warzone weapons wise and bring that movement over as well. Looks great.

Last edited:

splattered

I will check out the beta, but not really feeling enthusiastic about the long time to kill

I never know how I'm gonna feel about ttk in games until I try them out but in wondering if longer ttk in this one will help to combat against the crazy fast versatile movement a bit? I mean imagine having a much shorter ttk and having enemies flying spinning around all over and you don't even really have a chance to react because you're just insta dead from fast tkk? Dunno

Top Bottom