• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blacklight: Retribution |OT| Bokeh Dreams & Hardsuit Fantasies

1stStrike

Banned
Played a few matches of this and... the game looks really good, but I'm not feeling it. It's probably going to uninstall land.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I liked what I played so far. Being in a hardsuit feels badass. I also like that you can't shoot during [V] mode (forgot the name).
Gonna play some more. Still have no idea about the money system and how much you can achieve without paying.
Is there some kind of wiki for beginners?

Still having crazy stuttering/hitching problems to the point that the game is unplayable. Definitely going to have to hold off reviewing the game until I can sort this out. I think it has something to do with the texture streaming - hopefully this video is a bit clearer than the last one I uploaded:

Blacklight Retribution stuttering (4/25/12 patch)

According to FRAPS, my framerate is a constant 60+, but I keep getting these annoying jumps, hitches, and stutters. It's worst on Containment by far, but it pops up everywhere and in general makes the game hard to play. Moving and looking around turn the game into a weird slideshow, even though my actual framerate is perfectly fine. The problem persists regardless of what settings I'm using - although it gets significantly worse if I have DX11 enabled.

sprague1980

Neo Member
Still having crazy stuttering/hitching problems to the point that the game is unplayable. Definitely going to have to hold off reviewing the game until I can sort this out. I think it has something to do with the texture streaming - hopefully this video is a bit clearer than the last one I uploaded:

Blacklight Retribution stuttering (4/25/12 patch)

According to FRAPS, my framerate is a constant 60+, but I keep getting these annoying jumps, hitches, and stutters. It's worst on Containment by far, but it pops up everywhere and in general makes the game hard to play. Moving and looking around turn the game into a weird slideshow, even though my actual framerate is perfectly fine. The problem persists regardless of what settings I'm using - although it gets significantly worse if I have DX11 enabled.

What GFX card do you have?

sprague1980

Neo Member
GPU: Radeon HD 6850
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 (3.4Ghz~)
RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333

Specs shouldn't be an issue, considering I'm effectively playing on medium settings. Plus, as I said: pretty constant 60+ FPS.

Yeah we have had some reported issues with the nvidia 560Ti so I was wondering. I have a 5670 1GB VRAM, i7, 8GB or RAM on my laptop and play with DX11 on and everything on high and don't see this.

Have you tried defragging you HD? That would be consistent with having high FPS but still stuttering.

Yeah we have had some reported issues with the nvidia 560Ti so I was wondering. I have a 5670 1GB VRAM, i7, 8GB or RAM on my laptop and play with DX11 on and everything on high and don't see this.

Have you tried defragging you HD? That would be consistent with having high FPS but still stuttering.

That's what I wondered at first too, but defragging doesn't seem to have much to do with it - I've had this problem on both hard drives I've tried installing the game to. Both are pretty regularly defragged :( the newer hard drive is quite fast, too. It doesn't seem to help.

1stStrike

Banned
GPU: Radeon HD 6850
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 (3.4Ghz~)
RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333

Specs shouldn't be an issue, considering I'm effectively playing on medium settings. Plus, as I said: pretty constant 60+ FPS.

I'm running similar, except with a Geforce GTX 470 and 8 GB of RAM instead and had 0 stuttering issues last night. Time to ditch that ATI card.

I'm running similar, except with a Geforce GTX 470 and 8 GB of RAM instead and had 0 stuttering issues last night. Time to ditch that ATI card.

I plan on upgrading at some point soon but I wouldn't consider bad performance in one free to play game "time to ditch" my card.

Tokubetsu

Just had a great game, finished top 3 went something like 17-10. Loving this fast pacing!

EDIT: IM ON FIRE RIGHT NOW

blr2012-04-2704-42-42m9xs4.jpg

(Shavasana is my name in-game)

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Just played 3 matches and am having a blast!

Been playing in the lvl 1-10 lobbies to get a grip on how the gunplay is and I really like what i'm playing. Game just feels great, and runs pretty well on my old GTX 260.

Still learning all the details. I'm kind of overwhelmed with all the stuff you can customize. Granted I just glanced over the options and headed straight into a match after finishing the tutorial.

Which name do you guys need to add me? The login or the character name?

My character's name is DukeSilver.

Tokubetsu

Just played 3 matches and am having a blast!

Been playing in the lvl 1-10 lobbies to get a grip on how the gunplay is and I really like what i'm playing. Game just feels great, and runs pretty well on my old GTX 260.

Still learning all the details. I'm kind of overwhelmed with all the stuff you can customize. Granted I just glanced over the options and headed straight into a match after finishing the tutorial.

Which name do you guys need to add me? The login or the character name?

My character's name is DukeSilver.

Sent a request. Shavasana is my name.

Had to commemorate my first First Place:

Tokubetsu

Yea, made the mistake of joining a non 1-10 game today but managed to hold my own for the most part. We lost (felt like I was the only one on my team going for objectives) but I was one of the better peformers on my team. Picked up a really sweet looking gun at one point (ran out of ammo in my primary), it had blue LED lights and a blue glowing scope? Looked awesome. Died before I got to fire it though haha.

EDIT: Is the 50% XP Boost for 800 Zen permanent? Kinda like Tribes Ascend's VIP status thing?

This game is great. I don't really mind the high cost to own things permanently, it just means you have to be selective with what you buy. A couple days of playing and you have enough for a weapon, and only a couple matches will give you enough GP to get anything for a day. Of course you can just pick up guns off the ground to try them out briefly.

Tag is TheConfidenceMan

Just went 27-3. I also, weirdly, think I've fixed my stuttering problem - I switched to DX11? Weird, since I've read nothing but advice to turn that off if you're having stuttering. Either way, neato!

Also, has GP been lessened? It's totally awesome that it breaks down where exactly you're earning it, but I'm getting like 150 per round in TDM and DOM (placing in the top 3 pretty consistently) and before it used to be about 200-220 for a good match.

element

Also, has GP been lessened? It's totally awesome that it breaks down where exactly you're earning it, but I'm getting like 150 per round in TDM and DOM (placing in the top 3 pretty consistently) and before it used to be about 200-220 for a good match.
There shouldn't be any scoring changes. So not sure what you are seeing with GP.

Tokubetsu

Just went 27-3. I also, weirdly, think I've fixed my stuttering problem - I switched to DX11? Weird, since I've read nothing but advice to turn that off if you're having stuttering. Either way, neato!

Cool you fixed it. Haven't really been playing TDM, DOM is more my speed. I tend to do well. Just rented an SMG for 7 days iirc, and that helps a lot (I had like 2.2k GP, it was like 1.2...said fuck it).

Also found my answer to the XP question (it's not perm).

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Cool you fixed it. Haven't really been playing TDM, DOM is more my speed. I tend to do well. Just rented an SMG for 7 days iirc, and that helps a lot (I had like 2.2k GP, it was like 1.2...said fuck it).

Also found my answer to the XP question (it's not perm).

This I don't get. 800 Zen is like 8$??! Just to increase your XP in one match for 50%? Am I missing something or is this the worst deal ever?

I really like what I've played so far. Went 23 / 1 in a match today LOL People in the "proving grounds" don't know how to counter a hardsuit. So funny :D
I feel like a lot of stuff is a tad bit overpriced, but it's ok since I'm having fun and it's been all fair to this point. Also renting stuff makes it easier ;)

Please add me since I'm looking foward to playing with Gaffers :D

ingame name is "Des0lar"

Tokubetsu

This I don't get. 800 Zen is like 8$??! Just to increase your XP in one match for 50%? Am I missing something or is this the worst deal ever?

I really like what I've played so far. Went 23 / 1 in a match today LOL People in the "proving grounds" don't know how to counter a hardsuit. So funny :D
I feel like a lot of stuff is a tad bit overpriced, but it's ok since I'm having fun and it's been all fair to this point. Also renting stuff makes it easier ;)

Please add me since I'm looking foward to playing with Gaffers :D

ingame name is "Des0lar"

The answer I got on the forums was that it's 800 Zen for 7 Days, and 2400 for 30.

Tokubetsu

Not so sure about this game, I think I would rather boot up NeoTokyo

Have fun playing with all 15 people who still care to play, and they camp. As someone who actually bought the limited print physical version of the soundtrack, used to play it back in the UT mod days, NT's source release was a major disappointment for me.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Have fun playing with all 15 people who still care to play, and they camp. As someone who actually bought the limited print physical version of the soundtrack, used to play it back in the UT mod days, NT's source release was a major disappointment for me.

Shame really. Count me in to those guys who has the physical soundtrack and was greatly hyped for the source release. It just didn't click :/
Soundtrack is still great though!

sprague1980

Neo Member

Nothing has changed scoring wise since release. So it's been a while.

Tokubetsu

Is there a way to see stats of games already played? I would love to pimp my 23 / 1 stats :p

No idea.

Sometimes I feel so inaccurate. Like I HAVE to get the drop on people, and really focus to get kills. Other times I almost spray & pray and get double kills.

Is there a way to see stats of games already played? I would love to pimp my 23 / 1 stats :p

I read that they haven't implemented the stat tracking yet, but its on the way. Everything is currently being recorded but apparently PW wanted to get the game out (probably to compete against Tribes) and in doing so, a lot of the game was still incomplete.

sprague1980

Neo Member

Yes stats are being recorded on the backend and we are working on getting them displayed in the UI....it will be in the tab that pops up in the social menu under CAREER.

Gaogaogao

this game will not stop crashing. crashed at hard drive test and crashed after tutorial ended. this hasn't happened to me in a long time...

Tokubetsu

Just picked up 2000 Zen, any suggestions on what to pick up? :D

Total jelly fields. Seems really dependent on your playstyle. Sacrifice armor for stamina and speed? etc etc. Also, be warned, apparently the odds of getting cool shit in those packs are low. Everyone on the official forums seem to think its best to spend zen on camos you like.

element

this game will not stop crashing. crashed at hard drive test and crashed after tutorial ended. this hasn't happened to me in a long time...
are you submitting the crash mails? I haven't heard of any issues on the HDD Test or after the tutorial. I'll ask.

Tokubetsu

Just rented a burst rifle for 7 days and can't seem to hit shit with it. That's with a weapon tag for recoil too ='(

Tokubetsu

Some people love the Burst others, like me, don't do well with it at all.

I just had a pretty good game using one. It's definitely a low ping, need to be very accurate kind of a weapon. It's hard because this game is so fast paced and it's a much more deliberate sort of tool. Gotta pick your fights wisely with it.

Top Bottom