• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlackRock Shooter: The Game |OT| One girl in all the world

Soo I played the first few minutes and stopped just now because my Vita has to charge but I like what I played so far :D Nothing revolutionary but as a fan of the franchise and for only 20€ it's alright. I'm curious to see the story unfold too...

Noi

God damn, end of stage 3 huge spoilers.

Rothcall getting brutally vaporized was harsh. Talk about out of nowhere. :( I was already sad from the others getting killed.

Colocho

Banned
So if I've never watched the anime or even heard of the franchise at all, is it worth it as an RPG or if I just want to play something new on my PSP?

Reveirg

Is there any way for a Canadian GAF to play this game on a OFW Vita?

I'm not going to go through the trouble of buying a 2nd memory card for an additional account though.

I do have a PSP on hand.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Well, you can switch your account with just one memory card, but that means you have to format your memory card. You can make a backup to your PC (or PS3, I think) before you switch so you can restore all your save games, settings and installed games when you switch back. But that backup may take quite a while depending on how much is on your Vita.

Reveirg

Well, you can switch your account with just one memory card, but that means you have to format your memory card. You can make a backup to your PC (or PS3, I think) before you switch so you can restore all your save games, settings and installed games when you switch back. But that backup may take quite a while depending on how much is on your Vita.

Heh, I know it's probably not THAT complicated, but it's like they don't want my money... I guess I'll pass for now, especially seeing the mixed reactions the game is receiving.

It's a shame because I've wanted to play another Imageepoch game ever since I finished Arc Rise Fantasia (fantastic game IMO), but none of them get localized =/.

Put in about an hour or so today. Been waiting for this game ever since I heard about it two years ago, and so far I'm liking it.
Took a while to get used to some of the buttons and the mechanics but it seems to be working well now.

Played 40 mins .

It's alright it's different from what i expected but the mecanics are fun.
Does the dialog choices influence things like mission , chapters or endings ?

kiryogi

Banned
Whelp picked it up on my Vita against my better judgement. . . I didn't realize One OK ROCK did the opening :eek: awesome.

Freakin' Finally, My god.

Wanted to play, kinda enjoyed the action and storyline of the anime. Loved the intro of the game, just couldn't play it.

PsionBolt

Finished the main story yesterday.

The normal end, humanity is doomed - but wait, there's a better end! ...In which humanity is also doomed. I couldn't help but laugh. It's not a huge stretch to think that they could make new humans like they made polar bears, but if that's really the case, you'd think they would have shown it... I guess it's written in law somewhere that every BRS work has to be thoroughly yuri.

Now, onwards to the extra missions! I'm quite looking forward to them. It's impressive that the battle system has stayed fresh the whole way through so far.

Durante

This is on the Austrian PSN, complete with what is clearly a (very bad) machine translation of its description. If anyone from NISA is reading this, I'll translate your product blurbs to German for free.

Anyway, I'm tempted to buy it.

Noi

*yoink*

You'd think that with her being on the cover of the game, WRS
would have a much bigger role than just showing up at the tail end of the game. Her final form was cool though.

cj_iwakura

The hardcore gamer review sounds a lot more harsh than a 3/5 to me, not that it really matters. Still plan on getting this at some point, have to hold off due to Deadly Preminition and Soul Sacrifice next week. Plus given exams I shouldn't be getting anything :D

They both basically say the same thing; game looks slick, plays fun, story is silly.

cj_iwakura

Finished the first boss fight. Very fun, loved the graphics.

Also went back for the Golden parts, got two segments completed. How many are in each chapter?

Durante

So I bought it for some reason. The battle system is a lot more fun than Fate/Extra's, so that's something.

Sadly audio is pretty buggy on PPSSPP at the moment, so I'm playing on Vita. Some PPSSPP shots:
ppssppwindows_normal_0rs5o.jpg

ppssppwindows_normal_38shw.jpg

ppssppwindows_normal_qos0p.jpg

Durante

I initially thought the game wasn't even available in the Austrian PSN store: it's not in the new releases, and it's not even in the full list of PSP games. You can only get to it by searching -- and then the description is in completely broken German, as I said above. Still much better than not being available at all, but I would be surprised if the number of copies sold in Austria reaches double digits ;)

Durante always knows how to get the incredible image quality! :D
Yeah, you can easily run the game at completely arbitrary resolutions without any issue on a decent PC.

PsionBolt

I'm a ways into the extra missions now, and some of them should totally have been part of the main story. The variation in goal and loss condition is much greater than the main game. There's some interesting additional characterization, too.

Some PPSSPP shots:

The visual quality of emulated PSP games will never cease to amaze me. Even on my 2000, it looks quite good, but the jaggie-free magic of up-rezzing is wonderful. I just don't get why the texture on BRS's bra is so much worse than everything else, though.

Finished the first boss fight. Very fun, loved the graphics.

Also went back for the Golden parts, got two segments completed. How many are in each chapter?

Each stage has 3 challenges to kill golden guys, of 3 or 4 guys each, but there are more of them in the level than you need to complete those goals. It's kind of misleading.

Colocho

Banned
Ok, so I got this and have been at it for about an hour and I gotta say it's actually pretty fun. A bit easy at first, but I'm guessing the difficulty ramps up on the later levels.

One of my favorite things about it though is how fast it is, there's no loading for battles, the menu comes up immediately, etc, I just love it when games have barely any loading time.

PKrockin

You guys are probably going to hate me for this, but I actually watched the first episode of the anime (with MST3K-esque commentary) and I thought it was the most unbearably stupid anime I'd ever seen. These two characters are brought together by their shared passion of... a storybook for five-year-olds. And that friendship is torn apart and made hopeless by... a roommate being kind of rude. I can't even make up more trivial, boring bullshit to angst over. I can't even care about the action because it's all imaginary. There's nothing at stake.

Sorry. I needed to get that off my chest.

Noi

You guys are probably going to hate me for this, but I actually watched the first episode of the anime (with MST3K-esque commentary) and I thought it was the most unbearably stupid anime I'd ever seen. These two characters are brought together by their shared passion of... a storybook for five-year-olds. And that friendship is torn apart and made hopeless by... a roommate being kind of rude. I can't even make up more trivial, boring bullshit to angst over. I can't even care about the action because it's all imaginary. There's nothing at stake.

Sorry. I needed to get that off my chest.

The TV anime is pretty awful, no need to feel sorry about saying that.

Also, there's a neat little cameo in Stage 5 that I didn't immediately get.
Near the end of it, there's a John Doe-type enemy that has two vertebrae-styled horns on it's head, has a green color scheme and I think has a slightly more stylized scythe. It's name? "Dead Master."

PsionBolt

You guys are probably going to hate me for this, but I actually watched the first episode of the anime (with MST3K-esque commentary) and I thought it was the most unbearably stupid anime I'd ever seen.

No one likes to remember the TV anime. Just pretend it doesn't exist.

Also, there's a neat little cameo in Stage 5 that I didn't immediately get.
Near the end of it, there's a John Doe-type enemy that has two vertebrae-styled horns on it's head, has a green color scheme and I think has a slightly more stylized scythe. It's name? "Dead Master."

If I'm remembering right, the tutorial enemy at the very beginning is one, too. No STR or BGS callouts though, despite the white and red enemies.

Edit: Just checked. It is indeed a level 99 Dead Master. There are more in extra missions, too.

Noi

If I'm remembering right, the tutorial enemy at the very beginning is one, too. No STR or BGS callouts though, despite the white and red enemies.

Mmm, is it? I'm pretty sure the first tutorial enemy is just a regular John Doe enemy, nothing special about it. The
Dead Master
-typed one even has a separate illustration in the gallery.

Durante

You guys are probably going to hate me for this, but I actually watched the first episode of the anime (with MST3K-esque commentary) and I thought it was the most unbearably stupid anime I'd ever seen.
You shouldn't worry too much, I don't know anyone who likes the TV anime.

Even regarding the game, I don't think anyone in this thread is arguing that the story is not ridiculous. I've only played for an hour or two and it's pretty terrible so far. Not to mention that all the characters could as well be cardboard cutouts with some half-heartedly slapped on characterization trope.

But hey, the battle system is fun, which is more than what I can say about the previous Imageepoch game I tried.

PKrockin

Glad to see I'm not the only one who hated it. It feels almost, I don't know, mean-spirited to see one episode of a show and then come in here and take a massive dump all over it in the OT of a related video game.

Nothing wrong with playing a game for the mechanics. I love Tales of Graces f for its awesome battles and mechanics, even though its art style, story and characters are pretty much garbage.

You shouldn't worry too much, I don't know anyone who likes the TV anime.

I like it .

The TV anime is a surprising well done tale of despair, over the relationship and the friendship in society.

So much hurting , so much despair , so much suffering ...it was ... glorious.

That said the game is very fun :)

Durante

I just beat the first boss and completed the first optional mission. The battle system is still fun, and the story got more over-the-top ridiculous with the introduction of
a menagerie of larger-than-life superbaddies

I love it. I love it so much that not only I voted for it in the last NeoGAF best anime poll, I also bought the Limited Edition BRDs here in Italy!
Well, then you should not be allowed to use the name of a character from an anime that is actually good :p

cj_iwakura

Mentioning Lain reminds me that I'd kill for a game about Lain befitting the quality of the anime.

The Lain PSX game was certainly... different.

I can't think of a better way to make a game out of that series than a visual novel mystery.

PsionBolt

How long is the game and how deep is the combat system?

I've put just over 20 hours into it so far. I hit max character level just recently (with no grinding, just naturally by doing missions), but there are still a few extra missions and challenges left for me to do. Probably another two hours?
The main story itself only took maybe 8 hours, but the extra missions are mostly better anyway.

The combat isn't astonishingly deep, but I haven't got bored of it yet. Your only buttons are attack, dodge, guard, and 4 skills, but you constantly get new skills, and are encouraged by the challenges to mix up the ways you defeat enemies. It's fun, and not too easy.

Top Bottom