• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Kitten |OT| Ah! Ur So Good At Fighting.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Snuggler said:
Dogs walk around in circles all day and shit on the ground.
Cats do much more exciting shit, like chase down rodents and fight off ghosts. You wouldn't understand.
o589jo.gif

:lol

SmokyDave

I just read the OP, looked through the topic and thought "Huh, that looks fairly interesting". Then I went to Steam and bought it without really even thinking. No idea what that was about, I'm obviously destined to play this.

HolyCheck

SmokyDave said:
I just read the OP, looked through the topic and thought "Huh, that looks fairly interesting". Then I went to Steam and bought it without really even thinking. No idea what that was about, I'm obviously destined to play this.

My work here is done!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Syth_Blade22 said:
My work here is done!

Viral Marketer.

No big deal, though. I will gladly viral market for anything if I get free stuff out of it. Just hit up my PM box if you need my services.

sorry I feel like I'm steering a little bit off topic. So this is in the next PSN/XBLA update? I look forward to the XBLA demo! I love me some 2D platforming games.

HolyCheck

Snuggler said:
Viral Marketer.

No big deal, though. I will gladly viral market for anything if I get free stuff out of it. Just hit up my PM box if you need my services.

haha no not a viral marketer! No way involved in the game or the company at all!

just a fan of Australian games!

Gooboo

Snuggler said:
I'm thinking of something more like a cat simulation, like a day in a cat's life but modern technology is probably not ready for that kind of thing.
I'll definitely check out your game, though, what I've seen looks pretty cool .

Cat simulator? Been done. You need to seethis classic, Alley Cat from Synapse for the Atari computers. I remember trying to pay the hell out of it as a kid... and sucking at it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkj71R16kVQ

Ledsen

mrpeabody said:
I just meant that OPs should be informative. Most official threads here have fantastic OPs, but this one needs some work. Specifically, it needs more screenshots (meaning more than zero), fewer humongous custom images, and a description of gameplay. Don't make people click through to a separate site to see the content; that defeats the purpose.

About the game, I dunno. So far I see a no-name developer and amateur-looking art.

Edit: Just watched a trailer. It appears to be a cel-shaded 2.5d platformer with some melee combat.

This, seriously. The "banners" of each section are ENORMOUS, they should be 1/5 the size, if that. And those huge pictures containing informative text should be... text. I don't like this new trend of 90% useless images I have to scroll through to get to the 10% that is actual information :( I'm sure you worked hard on this OP but it could use some trimming down.

HolyCheck

Ledsen said:
This, seriously. The "banners" of each section are ENORMOUS, they should be 1/5 size if that. Also those huge pictures containing informative text should be... text. I don't like this new trend of 90% useless images and 10% actual information :( I'm sure you worked hard on this OP but it could use some trimming down.

Yeah, I know I went overboard lol, but it was either this or my 3000 word essay on Indigenous Australians!

Cowie

Now, it would have been near impossible to name a game 'Blade Kitten' and not have my interest from the start

but I don't want that to detract from the fact that the game looks genuinely fun <3

mrpeabody said:
About the game, I dunno. So far I see a no-name developer and amateur-looking art.

So, I take it you just started playing videogames today? I mean, they're no Team Ninja when it comes to common familiarity, but hell, they've been developing games for at least the past ten years.

I've always wanted to see how this turned out. Krome has something special about their titles. I hope it shines through on Blade Kitten. PC Master Race reporting!

Ramenman

mrpeabody said:
Here is what makes a good OT OP:

- a few reasonably-sized screenshots
- a brief clear textual summary of the gameplay
- some thoughtful analysis of existing trailers, staff credits, etc
- reasons for hype, if any

In other words, the OP should be something you can read and quickly learn what you need to know about an upcoming game.

I agree.

However, look at the MGS4 OT and cry. It doesn't please me either, but on GAF, OT OPs are made to be the largest possible. The larger and more uninformative your OP is, the greater service you do to the EPICNESS of the game, and participate in the fanwank. Or something.

Actually, this OP is not that bad in that regard compared to some others :)

I'm split. Not sure whether to get this on STEAM or XBL. XBL would be free, but playing this in high-resolution, AA goodness is tempting.

Here's my impression from the demo: Krome have made this generation's Claw. I didn't think I'd like it this much, but damn, go lads! Great pace, nice and fluid platforming, an inkling of the bigger combat yet to come. Big thumbs up.

SmokyDave

Oooh, this unlocks tomorrow, doesn't it. Kewl. Really looking forward to trying it out.

This is probably a stupid question but does the PC version support the 360 controller? I should have looked before buying really!

mik said:
I found it repellent.

I honestly thought I would too, but it clicked with me for some reason. Maybe due to the fact I haven't really indulged in a platformer in over a decade. Seemed to work okay, though.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Played through the demo last night.

Yeah, I think I'll be passing on this one. Game is ridiculously floaty, dialogue is suspect (who says "Ding!" or "Go team!" after opening a treasure chest?), and the regenerating health makes the game seem way, way too easy. And I'm not one to complain about levels being large, but damn, the level in the demo is almost TOO big. I was bored halfway through but stuck it out so I could have a completely informed opinion on the demo.

So yeah, I did not enjoy it.

Cowie

Played through the psn demo

It's definitely not for everyone. Controls are really floaty, at first I thought there was something wrong with my ps3. If you can get past that, the platforming is pretty fun, climbing on all sorts of surfaces, wall jumping, etc. Cutscenes are.. I guess not aimed at me. And that's fine, but it could be a major turnoff for folks. Regenerating health and plentiful checkpoints make the challenge suspect, but this was only the first level so it's hard to judge. Exploring to find treasure is fun, but it was unclear as to whether or not the money I'm getting from these hidden treasures was going to be used for anything -- I'm not a score attack guy, so unless there's an advantage to it I'll probably end up not stopping to get every chest I see if it's not obviously accessible. I don't know if the game is level-based or not, but the demo area I played through was damn long. I'm gonna let the experience sit with me for a little bit before I decide whether or not to go through with a purchase, I think.

Roto13

HappyBivouac said:
Oh fuck. The 15 year old deviantartists of my generation are now old enough to make video games professionally.
That's what popped into my head when playing the demo. :p

I wasn't really impressed by the demo. The cutscenes are really cringeworthy (not a good kind of cheesy, just the bad kind), the art style is fucking awful, and the gameplay failed to grab me. Also, that annoying effect of big giant holes appearing in stuff when you walk behind it is distracting.

And of course, it's way too floaty.

General art style aside I am looking forward to this game, lots of these cheaper titles I want lately on pc and 360, probably spending more money on them instead of buying retail releases :lol

Speevy

Banned
You'd think that after the 15,000th Spartan got sliced up that they'd stop saying the line "It's just a girl!" or whatever.

Gazunta

SmokyDave said:
Oooh, this unlocks tomorrow, doesn't it. Kewl. Really looking forward to trying it out.

This is probably a stupid question but does the PC version support the 360 controller? I should have looked before buying really!
Yes the PC engine supports regular controllers. There's also some extensive control configuration options for the PC version too.

This looks fucking awful and the art "style" is appalling. I don't mind fetishistic aspects in gaming and characters (Hell I *like* Rachael in Ninja Gaiden) but this is just shocking. Looks poor all round.

Roto13

Captain_Spanky said:
This looks fucking awful and the art "style" is appalling. I don't mind fetishistic aspects in gaming and characters (Hell I *like* Rachael in Ninja Gaiden) but this is just shocking. Looks poor all round.
BadGirl.jpg

Got really bored with the demo. It looks okay and doesn't control too bad, but the gameplay was incredibly redundant and the level design is pretty repugnant.

Giolon

What's the release date on this on XBLA? Atari's website says Sep 21 (and its Xbox.com page says Sep 22), but Major Nelson had a post this morning detailing everything coming soon to the Marketplace and Blade Kitten wasn't on there.

Narag

Blind bought due to Steam enabling me to make such rash decisions and being in the mood for this kind of game.

It's kind of weird

I have my suspicions that this is going to be a bad game, but I'm oddly excited about it because I want to do a Let's Play for it.

Something is seriously wrong with me.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I progressed through 6-7 stages. Each level is much different than the last, so not much repetition in terms of gameplay design thus far. Story is sporadic. A few of the levels are short, while others are much longer in comparison (22-28 minutes).

Not handling review duties though, was in charge of previewing it a few weeks back. Met Steve at GDC and was entertained by his commentary on his decisions. Had good relations with him since, so he put together an exclusive video developer diary of sorts for my publication that discusses about 8-9 topics. If you'd ike to watch, feel free: Blade Kitten creator, Steve Stamatiadis on censorship, furries, and tentacles.

mik said:
It's gonna get 4.5s from everyone but Dave Halverson, who will give it 42,000/Jesus.

really all that needs to be said, horny

edit: i assume you mean 4.5/10

sorry, gaz, deviantart the game isn't everyone's bag :-(

Top Bottom