• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Kitten |OT| Ah! Ur So Good At Fighting.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Segata Sanshiro said:
Aside from the developer, literally everything about this game up to and including this thread's title actively repels me. Unfortunate, that is.

Agreed. Especially on the thread title. It just bugs the shit outta me every time I read it. :lol

Giolon

I think it looks like it could be fun. It looks like an anime-inspired castlevania game to me. I'll reserve final judgement until I get it in my hands. What's your guys' problem with it exactly?

I played through the demo last night. And, before I type my thoughts on it, let me say that I'm neither attracted nor repulsed by the art itself and its... inspirations.

The gameplay is boring and floaty. The controls on a 2D platformer shouldn't need analog movement, as I would think maybe using the digital pad might make it more bearable, though still somewhat floaty. The way the camera sways is reminiscent of all of the annoyances I always had with some platformers like, well, Earthworm Jim (not calling EJ bad! don't hate!) where rather than keeping the character in center and occasionally shifting the focus, it swings back and forth and gives you nausea. A steady camera is a good camera. Kit has no weight, or at least doesn't feel like it. This seems like a dual cause of the floating movement and animations looking like her knees cannot bend.

The music needs some work. Boring. I can barely remember any of he music, menus, stage, cutscenes, nothing.

The level design is boring, repetitive and just plain ugly. Girders, rocks, the occasional flaming jet and then some doors. A level having a theme is one thing, but it cannot seems to decide what it's going to do. If maybe the level were shorter (good god it's TOO LONG) it wouldn't be as apparent or could be more focused, but I actually got bored and wondered when the damn thing would end so I could get on with the game getting any better or letting me down.

I love 2D platformers and feel that they are a lost art being only kept alive by games like MM10 and the occasional DS game. I like to attach myself to anything that tries to help keep things alive simply because they are some of the most raw fun gaming has ever had. It's one of the reasons I love the Valkyrie Profile series so much: it marries a fun battle system with a great map system. What Blade Kitten tries to do, I'm sorry, but it fails at every floaty, repetitive step of the way.

tailconcertoboxart_041510.jpg

If you are looking for a furry platformer, get this. You can thank me later.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Seraphis Cain said:
Agreed. Especially on the thread title. It just bugs the shit outta me every time I read it. :lol

The thread title was designed for a specific purpose, those in the know know what that is!

Xater

This game has an official thread? I tried oit the demo this morning and this game is awful. The artstyle sucks and the moment I started to move I wanted to top palying. Who in their right mind thinks these fucking floating controls are a good idea?

Xater said:
This game has an official thread? I tried oit the demo this morning and this game is awful. The artstyle sucks and the moment I started to move I wanted to top palying. Who in their right mind thinks these fucking floating controls are a good idea?

Xaters Gonna Xate

soz- couldn't resist

Tried the demo. I didn't mind the visuals and the dialogue was quirky but entertaining.

Level took me quite a while to beat. I accidentally triggered the end of the demo before I finished exploring the last large room too so I could have spent a bit more time playing. There are a lot of extra areas to find and the climbing mechanics let you explore almost everywhere.

Floaty controls are the biggest issue and it hurts both the platforming and the combat. Its less precise than I think most would want a 2D platformer to be. That said if the rest of the levels have as much exploring as the demo level did I think it'd be worth purchasing at some point. Had a lot of fun with it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The art style reminds me of Totally Spies for no apparent reason.

Ricker

MvmntInGrn said:
Tried the demo. I didn't mind the visuals and the dialogue was quirky but entertaining.

Level took me quite a while to beat. I accidentally triggered the end of the demo before I finished exploring the last large room too so I could have spent a bit more time playing. There are a lot of extra areas to find and the climbing mechanics let you explore almost everywhere.

Floaty controls are the biggest issue and it hurts both the platforming and the combat. Its less precise than I think most would want a 2D platformer to be. That said if the rest of the levels have as much exploring as the demo level did I think it'd be worth purchasing at some point. Had a lot of fun with it.

Yep,those controls really need getting use to...I also hated that yellow trail or whatever,I`m not really sure what that is actually,that forms behind or in front of you sometimes...hey the voice acting was pretty good though,got to mention that since some people here don`t buy games with bad voice acting, so that`s a plus :lol ....overall it`s ok I guess but that floatiness killed a purchase for me.

Chakan

I've enjoyed the demo. Reminded me of some old plataform games I used to play on PC. Like Jazz Jackrabbit.

I'll probably buy it sometime. But not for 15 bucks.

I've been playing, the level design is so messy and all over the place, and the levels drag on forever. Far too many little side-paths for little collectables too, gave up and just started trying to get levels over with as soon as possible saying to myself "is it over yet?".
The combat mechanics are very sloppy and enemy attack patterns are sporadic and robotic.
Floaty controls and physics, character moves unstably and has a bit of an "after run" when you try to stop moving.
Music is repetitive, too mellow at times, and forgettable. Uninspired.

Not to sound cliche here, but messy Western platformers like this just remind me again and again that games like Super Mario World, Japanese developed, just had it perfected to a science with short and sweet yet memorable stages.
This is along the lines of Rocket Knight XBLA/PSN level design gone even more monotonous.

Not a fan of the humor either. Or the main character's voice. Or design. I hate her face.
"Epic fail"? Really? This is like a wet dream come true for any teenage Hot Topic shopper who also browses 4chan and DeviantArt on their free time when not in school with their fellow black-hoodie-wearing-dyed-hair-skater chic friends.

And they do have some nerve charging $15 for this like it's a premium game, too. Guess they need to recoup the budget spent on voice acting.

Scott Pilgrim was an incredible little game based off of a comic with an interesting premise.
This is a mediocre digital download effort based on a comic with a cliche and uninteresting premise that tries too hard to be Japanese-esque.

I felt I would regret posting my true feelings for this game here since I know a poor dev would probably read and I'd make them feel bad, but I just have to stand by my word and not edit this out. :p

Giolon

I played the demo on PS3 last night and had quite a bit of fun with it. My only complaint is the floatiness of the controls, but it was something I got used to. Tightening them up still wouldn't be a bad thing.

It seems like this is a fairly straightforward platformer with the addition of being to climb on almost anything. It makes exploration fun, and a lot more work since you literally have to check everything from the floor to the ceiling. The game actually reminds me a bit of Shadow Complex. The voice acting and characters are kitchsy, but I was amused by them.

If I had to grade the game based on the demo alone, I'd give it a 2.5 / 5 stars. Who knows, if I'm bored enough this weekend I may end up picking it up on XBLA.

One thing though, there was something about this game that made me a bit nauseous while playing it (incoming snarky comments I'm sure...) - I think it was the combination of the floaty movement, the laggy camera, and the low framerate (I think it's hovering around 25FPS most of the time). I've been gaming for decades and I can't think of another game off the top of my head that caused this problem for me.

Giolon said:
I played the demo on PS3 last night and had quite a bit of fun with it. My only complaint is the floatiness of the controls, but it was something I got used to. Tightening them up still wouldn't be a bad thing.
Same impression I got, the controls need tightening up a bit.
Giolon said:
It seems like this is a fairly straightforward platformer with the addition of being to climb on almost anything. It makes exploration fun, and a lot more work since you literally have to check everything from the floor to the ceiling. The game actually reminds me a bit of Shadow Complex. The voice acting and characters are kitchsy, but I was amused by them.
I found the demo level to almost be to large, with so many side routes it confused me somewhat. Would have loved the map from Shadow Complex! The dialogue scenes were actually quite amusing.
Giolon said:
If I had to grade the game based on the demo alone, I'd give it a 2.5 / 5 stars. Who knows, if I'm bored enough this weekend I may end up picking it up on XBLA.
Same here, will keep the demo on my 360 a while and get back to giving it a second try.
Giolon said:
One thing though, there was something about this game that made me a bit nauseous while playing it (incoming snarky comments I'm sure...) - I think it was the combination of the floaty movement, the laggy camera, and the low framerate (I think it's hovering around 25FPS most of the time). I've been gaming for decades and I can't think of another game off the top of my head that caused this problem for me.
I wasn't nauseous, but I felt a little dizzy in my head, like it was difficult concentrating on the movements on the screen or something. Don't know what it was :/

OnPoint

hikarutilmitt said:
I played through the demo last night. And, before I type my thoughts on it, let me say that I'm neither attracted nor repulsed by the art itself and its... inspirations.

The gameplay is boring and floaty. The controls on a 2D platformer shouldn't need analog movement, as I would think maybe using the digital pad might make it more bearable, though still somewhat floaty. The way the camera sways is reminiscent of all of the annoyances I always had with some platformers like, well, Earthworm Jim (not calling EJ bad! don't hate!) where rather than keeping the character in center and occasionally shifting the focus, it swings back and forth and gives you nausea. A steady camera is a good camera. Kit has no weight, or at least doesn't feel like it. This seems like a dual cause of the floating movement and animations looking like her knees cannot bend.

The music needs some work. Boring. I can barely remember any of he music, menus, stage, cutscenes, nothing.

The level design is boring, repetitive and just plain ugly. Girders, rocks, the occasional flaming jet and then some doors. A level having a theme is one thing, but it cannot seems to decide what it's going to do. If maybe the level were shorter (good god it's TOO LONG) it wouldn't be as apparent or could be more focused, but I actually got bored and wondered when the damn thing would end so I could get on with the game getting any better or letting me down.

I love 2D platformers and feel that they are a lost art being only kept alive by games like MM10 and the occasional DS game. I like to attach myself to anything that tries to help keep things alive simply because they are some of the most raw fun gaming has ever had. It's one of the reasons I love the Valkyrie Profile series so much: it marries a fun battle system with a great map system. What Blade Kitten tries to do, I'm sorry, but it fails at every floaty, repetitive step of the way.

I played the demo today and this post mirrors my thoughts exactly.

I wanted to like it, but I was just bored the whole time.

"Epic fail"? Really? This is like a wet dream come true for any teenage Hot Topic shopper who also browses 4chan and DeviantArt on their free time when not in school with their fellow black-hoodie-wearing-dyed-hair-skater chic friends.
Exactly. Maybe I'm just not this game's target audience but the kind of dialogue and wannabe-internet-cool language this game uses is utterly, utterly repelling.
It's that kind of dialogue that really shitty western amateur manga artists put in their horrible webcomics and the artstyle of the game isn't much better than one of these as well.

Combined with shitty controls and levels that make you go "is it over yet?" because they're so long and repetitive, this is one of the worst PSN releases in a long time.

Ricker

Vic said:
Floaty controls? This is bad.

Yeah,when people where saying that last evening,I was wondering what it was exactly but as soon as you start moving,you know hehe...not sure why they did that,it`s just a little too much.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I don't wanna be an ass because clearly a lot of effort went into it, and I'm sorry about that I swear, but holy fuck this OP should be held as a reference for everything you shouldn't do for an official thread.
This shit is unreadable. :-/

kiryogi

Banned
Yea it's a bit floaty, but I adapted fast. I like how vast the design is. Lots to explore. I also like how Kit can navigate anywhere. So I really find myself going off the beaten road a lot. Wish she could duck, but slide works I guess.

Gandara

Game is a mess. Played the demo once and deleted it once I was done. Floaty controls, levels that go on forever just hoping the game would end. Not a fan of the design either.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The game is a total mess. The title screen music is abhorrent. It's really really bad.

The actual game had a weird camera, and I'm not sure if it was the framerate, but it gave me a splitting headache. I couldn't really play for very long.

I want to like the game, but pretty much everything about it repels me.

Giolon

I just gave the demo a spin on XBLA, and I'm enjoying it more than I did on PSN. It may be because I knew what to expect now, but the controls feel better on the 360 controller to me (extensive use ofnthe L2 and R2 buttons on the PS3 controller usually bothers me as opposed to the comfort of LT and RT on the 360 and annoyance around over use of RB and LB). Otherwise, the game seems the same including the framerate.

Pretty sure I'll pick this up before the night is over now.

Narag

Played through the first level and thought the floaty controls issue felt a little overblown. I was making judicious use of the grab (?) button though so was just tearing through the level almost too fast at times. Fun so far at the very least.

JohngPR

Chakan said:
I've enjoyed the demo. Reminded me of some old plataform games I used to play on PC. Like Jazz Jackrabbit.

LOL!

I was about to post that I was probably the only one to make that comparison. The game totally reminded me of Jazz Jackrabbit! Great minds, man...great minds.

:lol

I actually enjoyed the demo, but found the controls to be a bit iffy. I don't like how Blade Kitten walks around like she's on ice at all times.

I've been playing this a while. I'm pretty deep into the fourth level now.

pros:
combat is pretty good. avoiding hits from most enemies is just hard enough.
background design is really well thought out.
lots of opportunities for exploration.

cons:
music is very bland.
Kit isn't interesting enough. she's just sassy and energetic. that's not really enough.
the story seems to be going nowhere. (not really important though)
there's a lack of coolness to the overall aesthetic.
the levels drag on and then end with no fanfare. this game needs minibosses BADLY.

I read a lot of bad things about the controls but I didn't have too many problems with it.

Volcynika

akachan ningen said:
I've been playing this a while. I'm pretty deep into the fourth level now.

pros:
combat is pretty good. avoiding hits from most enemies is just hard enough.
background design is really well thought out.
lots of opportunities for exploration.

cons:
music is very bland.
Kit isn't interesting enough. she's just sassy and energetic. that's not really enough.
the story seems to be going nowhere. (not really important though)
there's a lack of coolness to the overall aesthetic.
the levels drag on and then end with no fanfare. this game needs minibosses BADLY.

I read a lot of bad things about the controls but I didn't have too many problems with it.

I gotta echo the point about the no fanfare. The levels just kinda end and go into the next one. I was expecting something like a boss or a fight other than the usual soldiers I've seen in every level so far.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I downloaded the demo and played it, and while it's not a bad game, it's not as good as I expected. I liked the graphics and the anime/manga-influenced art, and the music was pretty good too. I didn't mind the controls, like others seem to do, but the gameplay got stale very quickly, and it just wasn't all that fun to play, really. Didn't help much either that the level was by far too long/big (I got bored before I could manage to complete the level, and just quit the game), and Kit is a fairly uninteresting character to boot. Overall it doesn't seem bad, really, it's just.. not all that great either. Mostly for hardcore fans of the genre I guess.

I was doing alright playing with a mouse and keyboard, although I still need to go back and read a few more directions to understand things (sometimes the long-range sword works great for me, sometimes I can't get it to do anything), until I hit this spot:

BladeKittenGlitchAreaSmall.png

I was being "clever" and attacking from the ceiling, but he did some sort of jumping attack and it pushed me upward. Once I hit the area up top, I knew I was in trouble. Ran around for a while, kept expecting to jump into a void or something...

BladeKittenGlitch1Small.png

BladeKittenGlitch2Small.png

BladeKittenGlitch3Small.png

Finally just started running and jumping with killing myself to get back to the level in mind... except I ended up dropping down into one of the earlier parts of the stage. And then I stupidly hit a checkpoint, so there was a lot of retreading to do.

Beat the level, and before posting these I tried the second level for a minute. It tells you to chase something down, you can catch up to it in seconds, and it doesn't let you catch it because the level's not close to over, I'm guessing. Time to quit for tonight.

I tried the demo and theres something about her running animation which narks me a lot, her legs are way too far in front and she is off balanced because of it, looks really weird.

Not bad, played the Steam demo and then XBLA demo to compare. Both about the same thing. It was alright, but the level design was kind of boring and the combat was meh. Not worth 15 bucks, I'll wait till it drops in price.

So I got up to level 4 (least, the fourth loading screen) and I am honestly really enjoying the game. I see what people mean by the controls being a bit floaty, and it's mostly in the speed of deceleration when going left or right. She takes off fast enough but slows down very slowly.

The combat feels fast and free flowing and allows you to string together multiple attacks as well as some grabs and so forth.

There were a few (too many) bugs like constant sliding (into walls) and some wall-grabbing issues but overall I really really am having fun. The only real gripe I have is when I was looking around for chests, it would've been nice to perhaps have a "look" button where you can move the mouse while holding and it'll move the camera. Oh, and some of Skiddle's (or whatever his name is :lol) sequences are long. I found myself waiting for him to just finish sometimes. Aside from that, great job. The levels have a linear path but encourage you to explore and just flat out ignore the way to go. :lol I loved trying really hard to find anywhere I hadn't been yet.

Now, the non-gameplay elements. Kit's voice can be a bit grating and the open-chest comments especially can be very awkward to listen to ("Ding!", "Go team!"). The animation is a bit weird at times but most of the time it's fantastic to watch and made me laugh a few times. This is a very early impression after playing for about an hour, an hour and a half.

Really enjoyed it and aside from a few non-essential problems, a great game that doesn't take itself too seriously with some fast-paced action.

mrpeabody

IGN weighs in with a 5/10.

The platforming can be fun in short bursts and the presentation is very cute, but that can’t save this game from its lackluster storyline and cyclical gameplay. If you’re looking for a completely mindless platforming experience that drones on way too long but has a cute cat girl, you should still wait for a price drop.

Bought this game today, and I'm absolutely loving it. The art style, the colors, the music, the cheerfulness of it all. And I love the speediness of all moves. The slide move in particular is great.

Currently there are 136 people on the leaderboards (on the 360). Are only the people ranked who completed the game?

Top Bottom