• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner: 30 Years Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily

I cant believe this film is 30 years old! Waaaaay ahead of its time and still looks great. Blu-Ray is something else.

Tacitus_

So you think the spinner was the only practical effect. huh.

Of course there were others, but I'm not going to list every shot wound and wire stunt. I just hope that this thread could be without the bullshit of "CGI is ruining movies" that almost every movie thread devolves into.

Tr4nce

'I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.'

Never forget GAF!

Gregorn

I saw this for the first time a couple of weeks ago and found it boring. I can understand if all the love was directed purely at the atmosphere of the film, which was great, but everything else was so flat.

Tacitus_

I saw this for the first time a couple of weeks ago and found it boring. I can understand if all the love was directed purely at the atmosphere of the film, which was great, but everything else was so flat.

Watch it again. And pay close attention to everything and it'll start to unravel.

Mr_Zombie

I've read the book few days ago so now I have to hunt down the movie.
I can't believe how many classics I haven't watched yet :(

Gregorn

Watch it again. And pay close attention to everything and it'll start to unravel.

That's what everyone tells me. I got that the replicants are more human than Deckard and that's meant to show...something, but making a character have no depth intentionality so that he actually does have depth doesn't make it good.

Ridley implying Deckard was a replicant aside, I love this movie so much.

Also the documentary on the BR/dvd that covers the production history is an essential watch also. Makes you respect Ridley for his insane attention to detail.

Drencrom

After watching it so many times, i just wished there were more movies like it :/

Also, i love Deckard's gun!
rimg1419.jpg

Gustav

Banned
Of course there were others, but I'm not going to list every shot wound and wire stunt. I just hope that this thread could be without the bullshit of "CGI is ruining movies" that almost every movie thread devolves into.

It does though.

Gala

Saw it a couple of months ago in a private cinema in 1080p and 7.1. It's amazing how incredible the movie still looks today. So much detail in everything combined with a great story and great characters.

Definitely one of my favorite movies of all time.

Gustav

Banned
Saw it a couple of months ago in a private cinema in 1080p and 7.1. It's amazing how incredible the movie still looks today. So much detail in everything combined with a great story and great characters.

Definitely one of my favorite movies of all time.

The BluRay made me realize how incredible this film truly is. The amount of detail is staggering. The best movie ever made.

Maxrunner

Love it. I can put it on and get completely lost in it.

*On a side note it blows my mind that Blade Runner and The Thing, 2 of my favorite movies ever and which were both under appreciated at the time of their release, came out on the same day, June 25th.

The RoadWarrior also released that year, probably the best movie year for me....just seeing that movie intro gives me chills.....3 masterpieces the same year...

I'm pretty surprised that this film would perform so poorly at the box office.

I love the movie despite the fact i didn't see it until over 20 years after it was made. It really did stand the test of time.

LM4sure

Banned
I bought the bluray on a whim, never having seen the film before, and I agree. It is amazing. I am not even a huge sci-fi fan, but there is something about the film that engrosses me. I want to watch it again now thanks to this thread!

Fritz

Everybody should watch Ridley's Legend afterwards. It does for Fantasy what Bladerunner does for Sci-Fi. Absolutely beautiful movie!
627737_sans-titre.jpg

The blu ray version continues to amaze me. Can't believe something that was made 30 years ago can look THIS good.

Also have the 5 disc DVD edition - the documentary is incredible. Still can't get over the city model and the scenes shot with it.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Argueably the best scifi film ever made and an all time classic.

I still hate the end chase/fight section, but the rest is amazing.

I can't believe how fucking good it looks on Bluray, either. It's so improved over the DVD version it's not even funny.

Still my favourite movie.

I will also chime in and say that the Blu Ray pack is my favourite thing to break out to show off the technology. So good.

Not a huge fan of the film myself but I do understand its importance to cinema. I still watch it on blu-ray simply to admire the effects work.

Leonsito

My favorite film, I have bought it in a lot of versions, vhs, dvd, bluray, the CEs, I have the ost, the game...

This and Alien are way ahead of their time, you can see them today and they still look beautiful.

bengraven

Everybody should watch Ridley's Legend afterwards. It does for Fantasy what Bladerunner does for Sci-Fi. Absolutely beautiful movie!
627737_sans-titre.jpg

One of my favorite films of all time.

The extended cut! I have to admit, I love both Tangerine Dream and Jerry Goldsmith's soundtrack. Any other time I would easily take the classical artist over the German electronic band...

But I have to say that TG's is what makes the film extra special. That intro!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8mreW0sQ70

Kyoufu

Still one of my favourite movies of all time. One of those movies I can re-watch over and over and never tire of.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I've got the super-cool-awesome Briefcase Edition of the Blu-ray release. The quality of the BD is that good it makes most movies today look like shit.

Also, it's my favourite movie. I read the novel it was based on (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?) in high school and I loved it.

Fritz

One of my favorite films of all time.

The extended cut! I have to admit, I love both Tangerine Dream and Jerry Goldsmith's soundtrack. Any other time I would easily take the classical artist over the German electronic band...

But I have to say that TG's is what makes the film extra special. That intro!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8mreW0sQ70

I have yet to see the American and the extended cut! I probably will look into that.

ssoass

I watched this movie for the first time last Christmas and liked it a lot, especially because of the awesome visuals.

The storyline was more straight forward than I expected, but still really cool... I especially liked Rachael's story.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
My only problem with Blade Runner is that I'm pretty sure that humanity will not master interstellar travel and space colonization or create hovercars or artificial humans with super powers in 2019.

Absolutely love this movie. I saw it for the first time a few years ago and it stuck with me for months. Every so often I would think about it and dwell on it. The atmosphere is incredible.

I really need to pick it up on Bluray. I've been checking Best Buy and a few other stores hoping to find a copy but I have a feeling I'm going to have to order it off of Amazon.

I'm pretty lukewarm on most 'classic' sci-fi and fantasy movies. Most of them don't hold up well visually, and were never that great in the story/characterization department anyway. Star Wars doesn't do a thing for me.

I LOVE Blade Runner though. It looks fuckin' GREAT and its setting, themes, and characters are genuinely thought-provoking. Almost definitely the best movie about the morality of sentient AI, and one of the best science fiction movies period.

G.O.O.

I was too young the first time I saw it and didn't get it.

Saw it again, and now it's one of my favourite movies of all time. Roy Batty's character is just beyond words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom