• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner: 30 Years Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xun

Superb film.

It really gets better the more you watch it.

Also I'm surprised Scott didn't retcon the year in the Final Cut.

SuomiDude

Just yesterday I watched the movie for the first time. It was the Ridley Scott's Final Cut from 2007.

But I have to say it wasn't really that good to be honest, but it wasn't poor movie either, don't get me wrong. The acting and dialogue felt quite average, the plot left too much for your imagination and guessing, the bad guys/girls didn't seem to have much character at all (I did like the very ening of the final battle though).
The visuals still impressed me as did the whole setting, the only thing that bothered me was how the computers were totally 80s, the rest they were able to make look futuristic enough.

I guess I just expected a different kind of movie, but at least I've finally seen the damn movie :D

I remember watching Blade Runner on VHS when I was a kid. From the back of the box I thought it was a Star Wars spinoff or something. Totally blindsided about it.

I remember also buying the PC game "Blade Runner" which is ALSO awesome. Anyone who likes adventure games where you have to solve crimes and look for clues would absolutely love this, especially Blade Runner fans. Makes LA Noire's evidence searching look like kindergarten. Then I played Flashback on the SNES and it just gave me that Blade Runner-ish feeling.

And then I finally got a chance to play Snatcher about 6 years ago for the first time. The whole time I was thinking "jeez this game HAS to be based off of Blade Runner and Terminator." Blade Runner's influence is far reaching.

Ever since I saw the movie for the first time back then, I've always had a soft spot for anything dystopian/noir/sci fi, but honestly there hasn't been anything that has come out that can rival it imo.

Philip K. Dick is my favorite author and Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies. I saw it in theaters in its original run. I loved it, but even at 15 I thought the voice-over was terrible and the final scenes were tacked-on and nonsensical. They even misspelled PKD's name! The Final Cut version is a nearly-perfect film.

/XX/

My favourite film. Also love the atmosphere the soundtrack gives the film.
Edmond Dantès;34581113 said:
Vangelis in his prime.
Undeniable, really. The sheer quantity of work that went into research made a constant progression for him in that era. This article and its exhaustive look at the equipment and procedures used in some of his recordings gives a good reflect of this constant looking for brilliance:

VANGELIS: Recording At Nemo Studios
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/nov97/vangelis.html

And I can't stress enough how important is a website like BladeZone (http://www.bladezone.com/) for every kind of information related to this film. It is essential!

h3ro

I've never seen the film and wanted to pickup the Blu Ray.

Amazon has the Final Cut BR for $13.99 and the 5 disc version is being sold by vendors for around $30.

Is the Final Cut the version to see since that's Scott's ultimate version? I'm not too big on extra features and stuff, I just wanna see the best version of the film available.

dralla

I saw this for the first time last week and found it to be quite bad. The music was great, the special effects were great, but the characters and relationships were underdeveloped. I like the general idea behind the movie and would like to check out the book.

Amazon has the Final Cut BR for $13.99 and the 5 disc version is being sold by vendors for around $30.

Is the Final Cut the version to see since that's Scott's ultimate version? I'm not too big on extra features and stuff, I just wanna see the best version of the film available.

Get the Final Cut then.

epmode

The Final Cut is probably the way to go. But even beyond the picture quality, the 5-disc set comes with the ridiculously impressive bonus disc. It's so refreshing to see an official release including interviews where staff members openly talk about friction between writers, directors and actors.

swoon

get the 5 disc, it's important to see the first cut of the film and the fake director's cut is a lot better than the final cut anyway.

I'd recommend getting the directors cut too.

The Final Cut removes some of the ambiguity that really makes the movie interesting, but it is a little bit more tightly edited and looks astounding.

.GqueB.

Banned
Not even gonna read the thread just came in here to say:

BOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRIIIIINNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGZZZZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzzzzzzz

*skitters away*

Gustav

Banned

BOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRIIIIINNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGZZZZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzzzzzzz

*skitters away*

didnt_read_fat_guy_dancing_gif.gif

I saw this for the first time last week and found it to be quite bad. The music was great, the special effects were great, but the characters and relationships were underdeveloped. I like the general idea behind the movie and would like to check out the book.

Agreed, and looking at Sci-Fi movies since this movies creation, if this movie does have the impact people are claiming it does, then I blame this mediocre film for ruining an entire genre. A genre that should be smarter (and not shallower) than any other. A damn shame.

But, after seeing this movie recently, I at least have the answer to "Why are Sci-Fi movies all looks and no brains 99% of the time?" Because that question baffled me for years. Just an excuse to make effects...real or generated, is a poor excuse for a movie.

batbeg

I loved the book (i love all pkd books!) and didn't care for this immediately following reading it, mostly due to the disconnect oh how I imagine Dick's rusty dying future and this shiny neon year 8000 movie stuff.

Id like to watch it again though. Is the bluray region free? My ps3 is PAL.

The RoadWarrior also released that year, probably the best movie year for me....just seeing that movie intro gives me chills.....3 masterpieces the same year...

Mad Max, Poltergeist, ET, The Thing, Blade Runner, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn, Conan the Barbarian, First Blood, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, 48 Hrs., Dark Crystal, Rocky III.

Yeah, 82 had some awesome stuff in it.

Blade Runner is proof that physical effects will always be better than CGI effects.

Spare us the bullshit. Blade Runner is proof that a director with vision and know-how along with an amazing effects supervisor and talented team can make timeless work.

The Final Cut is the version to see, but the multidisc set is worth it to see all the different versions just for curiousity, even if you are not into special features. But really, the Dangerous Days documentary is worth owning the set for in and of itself.

One of the top 10 greatest films ever made. The final cut on blu ray almost made me cry the first time I popped it in. It is pure eye candy and love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ridley is a God, the movie will for ever be one of my favorites!!!!!

epmode

Need to get around to seeing this. Why is it never on TV?

It's on Netflix. The Final Cut, even!* Not in HD though. And honestly, it's such a great transfer that I would advise a bluray viewing even if Netflix had an HD version.

*I lied. I could have sworn I saw it the other day...

It's on Netflix. The Final Cut, even! Not in HD though. And honestly, it's such a great transfer that I would advise a bluray viewing even if Netflix had an HD version.

Thought Final Cut was not on Netflix. (Looks again) Nope. Thought theatrical was at one point, but that looks gone too.

*skitters away*

Stick to comic book movies.

Blade Runner is one of best 5 movies ever made. It still looks and sounds amazing today.
The PC game is also pretty great.

*skitters away*

With the right mindset, BR crackles with energy and excitement, in even the quietest of scenes. Deckard diving into the image while sitting on his couch is fucking EPIC!

randomwab

I remember the first time I watched Blade Runner. I thought it was beautiful but hollow.

Man, was I wrong. That film just opens up on multiple viewings. I honestly think I could say it's in my top three films now. Just a masterpiece of cinema.

I wish I could see the Final Cut in a theatre now. I'd cream myself.

sixghost

I highly recommend the adventure game Gemini Rue if you enjoyed this movie. The world in that game is clearly heavily inspired by Blade Runner, and the story/music is wonderful.

With the right mindset, BR crackles with energy and excitement, in even the quietest of scenes. Deckard diving into the image while sitting on his couch is fucking EPIC!

God yes.

The lights seeping through the cracks of the windows...............amazing. I actually think this movie has some of the best lighting techniques I have ever seen on film.

get the 5 disc, it's important to see the first cut of the film and the fake director's cut is a lot better than the final cut anyway.

In what ways are the home releases themselves different? How much of the 5 disc edition's extras is missing from the 2-disc BD Final cut release?

randomwab

In what ways are the home releases themselves different? How much of the 5 disc edition's extras is missing from the 2-disc BD Final cut release?

The two disc has BR Final Cut and the Dangerous Days documentary (which is god damn excellent).

The five disc has the US theatrical, International theatrical, Director's Cut and the Workprint in addition to the archive disc with a ton of other extra content. I ended up importing the five disc set from the US and it was totally worth it.

As for the differences in the cuts, this article has a lot of the differences listed.

Wolfe

My only problem with Blade Runner is that I'm pretty sure that humanity will not master interstellar travel and space colonization or create hovercars or artificial humans with super powers in 2019.

Really? I hope you're joking... "Yeah sorry anyone that's written a story taking place in the future but your projections were just not accurate enough for me." I know that's not what you're saying but it still sounds equally ridiculous.

Also this:
r08Wf.jpg

Yes I do have an HD DVD drive, got it with the used 360 bundle I picked up off a local forum a few years back. Only bought a few movies for it though as the selection is a bit more limited :p

Endo Punk

Superb film.

It really gets better the more you watch it.

Also I'm surprised Scott didn't retcon the year in the Final Cut.

Yes yes I agree. We are getting closer to 2019 and nothing suggests that we will be living in a BR world... sorta. There really needs to be a newer version which takes the date out and puts '20XX' in place.

The two disc has BR Final Cut and the Dangerous Days documentary (which is god damn excellent).

The five disc has the US theatrical, International theatrical, Director's Cut and the Workprint in addition to the archive disc with a ton of other extra content. I ended up importing the five disc set from the US and it was totally worth it.

As for the differences in the cuts, this article has a lot of the differences listed.

In the OP. :) It is really interesting to see all the different versions of the film though. It has been at least 15 years since I have seen the theatrical cut. I might watch that today just for a goof.

daviyoung

Banned
Really? I hope you're joking... "Yeah sorry anyone that's written a story taking place in the future but your projections were just not accurate enough for me." I know that's not what you're saying but it still sounds equally ridiculous.

I would take it as a compliment, since that's the only thing he can find wrong with it.

In the OP. :) It is really interesting to see all the different versions of the film though. It has been at least 15 years since I have seen the theatrical cut. I might watch that today just for a goof.

I definitely watch them all. Theatrical has its own vibe and while I prefer the Final Cut, I've loved the original for decades. :)

Wolfe

Yes yes I agree. We are getting closer to 2019 and nothing suggests that we will be living in a BR world... sorta. There really needs to be a newer version which takes the date out and puts '20XX' in place.

I disagree, the movie was made 30 years ago and 2019 was perfectly acceptable as a point in the future where this stuff could have taken place. What's next, we go and alter the year of any other story based media with future settings that didn't line up with the actual tech level of the year it was supposed to take place in? Man I can't wait till 2084 so I can see if Total Recall is bullshit or not!

I would take it as a compliment, since that's the only thing he can find wrong with it.

You're right, I took it the wrong way, still sounds ridiculous to me though :)

sonicfan

Venerable Member
Ack, how can you mention Fear Factory, but not Paul Oakenfold's use of the soundtrack in his legendary goa mix?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goa_Mix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFeLMFUWmWo

How can the mention Fear Factory without mentioning Gary Numan?

Numan's album Replicas is basically his his own story sort of based off of Phillip K Dick ideas, specifically Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, put too music.

from Wikipedia:

Background

Something of a concept album, Replicas was based on a book Numan hoped to complete someday[2], set in a not-too-distant future metropolis where Machmen (androids with cloned human skin) and other machines keep the general public cowed on orders from the Grey Men (shadowy officials). Whilst the album’s setting and lyrics were directly inspired by the science fiction of Philip K. Dick, particularly his seminal work Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, the title, surprisingly, was not. Though similar to 'Replicants', the term used for androids in Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner, based on Dick’s book, Scott’s film came out three years after Tubeway Army’s album and Dick never used the word 'Replicant' in his original 1968 novel.

Also, Numan later sampled bits from Blade Runner directly into his own music, the one that is most easily noticed is Call Out the Dogs. But he did it over 5 albums from 1985-1990 on many songs. He even had a B-side call "Time to Die" which is basically Batty's dying speech in the movie.

Latter, he did a cover with Fear Factory themselves of his own song, Cars....

I became a Numan fan in 1979. I remember not long after hearing about the Making of Blade Runner and thinking Numan himself should have done the soundtrack....

Zeliard

Need to get around to seeing this. Why is it never on TV?

Don't watch a movie like this on television. At this point, Blu-ray or bust.

I disagree, the movie was made 30 years ago and 2019 was perfectly acceptable as a point in the future where this stuff could have taken place. What's next, we go and alter the year of any other story based media with future settings that didn't line up with the actual tech level of the year it was supposed to take place in? Man I can't wait till 2084 so I can see if Total Recall is bullshit or not!

2001: A Space Odyssey is totally inaccurate.

Tacitus_

But I have to say it wasn't really that good to be honest, but it wasn't poor movie either, don't get me wrong. The acting and dialogue felt quite average, the plot left too much for your imagination and guessing, the bad guys/girls didn't seem to have much character at all (I did like the very ening of the final battle though).
The visuals still impressed me as did the whole setting, the only thing that bothered me was how the computers were totally 80s, the rest they were able to make look futuristic enough.

Watch it again and you'll see your complaints regarding the plot and the reason why the replicators are how they are unravel before you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom