• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 4K - The Final Cut - 9/5/17

Saw while browsing Amazon and immediately became happy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073C1ZYW9/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://hd-report.com/2017/07/09/finally-blade-runner-the-final-cut-in-4k-on-blu-ray/

In anticipation of Blade Runner 2049 this October, The Final Cut will release in 4k resolution for the first time on September 5th with enhanced color depth via High Dynamic Range (HDR). Surely, this is the best you’ll ever see Blade Runner at home (although some Laserdisc faithfuls might argue that point).

On Ultra HD Blu-ray, the definitive sci-fi masterpiece is presented in 2160p at 2.40:1 (16.9) widescreen aspect ratio, with a soundtrack playable in Dolby Atmos (backed by Dolby TrueHD).

Extra bonus material is the same included with Blade Runner The Final Cut on Blu-ray, however, the original movie trailer has been remastered in 4k. Other bonus material includes deleted and alternate scenes, commentary, introduction by Director Ridley Scott, and a lineup of production featurettes.

Disc 1 – Blade Runner: The Final Cut – 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray

· 4K remastered trailer
· Introduction and Commentary by Director Ridley Scott
· Commentary by Executive Producer/Screenwriter Hampton Fancher, Screenwriter David Peoples, Producer Michael Deeley and Production Executive Katherine Haber
· Commentary by Visual Futurist Syd Mead, Production Designer Lawrence G. Paull, Art Director David Snyder and Special Photographic Effects Supervisors Douglas Trumbull, Richard Yuricich and David Dryer

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Who the hell wrote this article? Anyone who thinks laser disc is better than 4k is ridiculous? And it says it's 2:40 16x9, so which is it? 16x9 or 2:40?

pa22word

Who the hell wrote this article? Anyone who thinks laser disc is better than 4k is ridiculous? And it says it's 2:40 16x9, so which is it? 16x9 or 2:40?
I think they're confusing blade runner with star wars, unless there's another esoteric version of br out there I'm unaware of.

Ric Flair

Banned
This movie's visuals have aged like a fine wine that has only gotten better with time and some tasteful additions in the last bluray release. Can't wait to watch it in 4k uhd

captive

I think they're confusing blade runner with star wars, unless there's another esoteric version of br out there I'm unaware of.
Well in the early Blu Ray days there was a five disc set that had like literally every cut of the film in existence. Irrespective of that, laser disc was what 480p? That's not gonna match blue ray or 4k.

Dommo

I thought this was a reasonably common way of saying the film itself is presented in 2:40, but the video itself is a 16x9 file with black bars at the top and bottom. Isn't that how Blu-Rays are usually presented?

Chumley

Banned
The final cut bluray already looks damn good. I'll have to buy a UHD player for this and the news of the TDK trilogy hitting 4k.

Oh man, this and The Dark Knight Trilogy in 4K is just fantastic.

The restoration they did for The Final Cut was astounding, it looked like the film was shot yesterday.

Lil Marco

Banned
Gotta pack up those hd-dvds sometime.

I guess.

OT but I still have several HD-DVD's (mostly kubrick films) back when everybody thought it was going to win the format war and Microsoft released an external drive for the 360.

What can I do with them? I remember they had a trade-in program where you can get them swapped for blu rays but that is long gone. Are they basically coasters now?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Well in the early Blu Ray days there was a five disc set that had like literally every cut of the film in existence. Irrespective of that, laser disc was what 480p? That's not gonna match blue ray or 4k.

I have the HD-DVD version that the Warner Brothers store sent me for free when they shelved HD-DVD. Got that, plus The Shining, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and The Last Samurai. Thanks, WB! lol

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
OT but I still have several HD-DVD's (mostly kubrick films) back when everybody thought it was going to win the format war and Microsoft released an external drive for the 360.

What can I do with them? I remember they had a trade-in program where you can get them swapped for blu rays but that is long gone. Are they basically coasters now?

You can still use it to play movies. I do. I have a few still in shrink wrap because they were so cheap for awhile, I got a bunch. The best encode of Terminator 2 is probably still the German hd-dvd. Which I imported for that reason. And Zodiac.

But that 360 add on player is so loud.

I don't have blade runner on the blu for the same reason, so the 4k hdr release is intriguing.

I've got like 5 versions of this movie, including the HD-DVD version for which I bought a HD-DVD player and pretty much no other movies. I can't wait for 4k!!

bTdE1GZ.gif

Assuming you still have that 360 drive, you can plug it into a PC and rip the discs and convert them to Blu-rays yourself. An HD DVD is about 30 GB and is trivial to directly copy onto a BD-R DL which holds 50 GB.

It's just a jab at a certain type of videophile. Some people are unhappy with current remasters because they color time them differently and they remix the audio. Laserdiscs were sourced from prints so they feel these versions have the correct theatrical colors and sound mixes.

There's a whole group of people who rip their blurays, re time the picture to the LD and remux in the LD audio.

And yes, all blurays are 16x9. But some movies will be pillarboxed (1.33 or 1.66) or letterboxed (2.20/2.40 etc) within that 16x9 image. There's no more anamorphic format like there was in the DVD era (much to the chagrin of another subset of videophiles who want ALL the pixels)

DieH@rd

Banned
The higher the resolution gets, the more chance is that we will start seeing the illusion break regarding all the miniatures, mattes and other old visual effect tricks.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Rain always sounds so good in Dolby Atmos.

The end of this movie is gonna be a treat.

Melon Husk

Nice to see old movies getting the UHD treatment.When it drops to $10 I'll bite...

Blu-rays aren't anamorphic, so any black bars eat the unused pixels. On a 2:40 frame only 3840 * 1600 = 6.1 MP are used instead of "full" 8.3 MP.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I've been waiting almost a decade for this. This is also what I was waiting for to release before investing in a 4K setup.

jett

D-Member
Man it'll be super interesting to see what this looks like, considering it's one of the few legacy titles released in 4k and that the regular blu-ray transfer is already 10 years old and is not up to current standards. I hope someone out there takes lots of screencaps. It's unfortunate that blu-ray.com does not take captures of 4K releases.

This package though seems lame. It doesn't contain any of the other cuts and the special features seem to be once again divided in two DVDs like the original BD release. Plus the regular blu-ray included seems to be the old one...

So is this "final cut" version the version I should watch? I've been meaning to watch Blade Runner for a while now, but I always hear that there's a version that adds a lot of things that aren't needed or something like that.

captive

I thought this was a reasonably common way of saying the film itself is presented in 2:40, but the video itself is a 16x9 file with black bars at the top and bottom. Isn't that how Blu-Rays are usually presented?

i mean sure technically, no one outside super geeks know that. But if you play that video on a 4:3 screen its still 2:40 the black bars are just thicker. The aspect ratio of the video doesnt change just because the screen ratio does.

airjoca

Should ‘old’ movies get HDR releases?

“There seems to be a misunderstanding, at least in online discussions, as to what HDR (High Dynamic Range) actually is... and might not be.

It is NOT an inherent part of the 4K UHD package.

It is in no way necessary toward the enjoyment of 4K, either in the home, or elsewhere.

HDR is an option, much like ordering a different kind of leather of fabric for your new car's interior.

It's nothing new -- been around for years.

If generally NOT a part of the design of a film, with most HDR entering the picture, no pun intended, during post., e.g. "Wouldn't it look neat if those flames were really bright orange..."

It's added the same way that 3D is added in post, to the majority of 3D productions.

It has no relevance to production photography.

It should not be included as a function for classic films, unless the filmmakers have a desire to re-visit, and create a new version, a re-imagining.

It will not work well with most classic films, and can be problematic to those that have needed restoration based upon fade.

Want to see 2001, or Lawrence, Ben-Hur, The Godfather, The Magnificent Seven, or Elvira Madigan in 4K?

No problem.

We're ready for it, and there's no reason why those films can't be released, except those which don't fit on the current sized discs.

And NONE of them should be released with HDR.

Every UHD release does NOT need HDR, nor should they have it.

If we can clear the airwaves of mis and dis-information regarding HDR, things would be easier."

I haven't bought a 4K UHD Blu-ray of a film I already have on Blu-ray. There are exceptions however like 2001: A Space Odyssey (if it comes out on UHD Blu-ray - it may not) and this one.

berzeli

Banned

That's... that's a really dumb article. Especially for one claiming to be in response to the "misunderstanding" and the "dis-information" about HDR.

HDR doesn't have to mean that everything is super bright.

And I can selectively quote Robert A. Harris too:
"HDR is interesting and I think it’s a wonderful technology. Dolby’s doing some wonderful things with it,"
But I won't. He does follow that praise with:
"but you need a clean, original, unfaded negative. If you have unbalanced dye layers, or you’re replacing dye layers, you are opening a Pandora’s box that you’ll never be able to close. I wouldn’t go near it in a restoration on a colour element. That was never meant to be seen that way anyway. If you use it for a new film, I think that’s great. But if you go back and use it for a film from the mid 70s or late 70s, that’s not faded, it’s not going to look like what it looked like in projection. It’s a new product. So, I wouldn’t do it."

Now, I don't really agree with him. And the releases of back catalogue titles like Labyrinth, and Unforgiven should prove that HDR doesn't just mean bright. The "real" test for the format will probably be The Bridge on the River Kwai whenever that one lands.

Oh, and also you definitely can't release Elvira Madigan in 4K with "no problem" since it has only been restored in 2K.

Sorry, this is horse shit. HDR isn't all about bright colors, it's about capturing as much as the color information as possible. Film does not have 255 shades of red blue and green. It's much more organic than that.

HDR allows those colors to appear more natural and as they appear in their natural film state. You get less banding and more details in the shadow areas.

Of course, some films were purposefully made more contrasty, so you probably don't need all the shades available, but it's good to have leeway.

Top Bottom