• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 4K - The Final Cut - 9/5/17

jett

D-Member
Thanks for the screencaps Jett. Grabbing them from the trailer may not be truly representative, as those are always re-encoded from the source material. Still, judging by them, it does look like they increased the levels throughout, which should reveal more shadow detail, but also probably increase film grain noise, which is already evident on two of your screens. And yes, they definitely toned down the green grading. I tried, and couldn't replicate the 'less-green' appearance just by changing the levels of the final cut screens. I think that's cool because final cut was a touch too green for my taste. Not sure I like the increased brightness, but that can always be toned down on the TV easily.

Still, I wish they'd release a director's cut color grade version with other refinements from the final cut. This is halfway there already though.

Just a note: they're aren't from a trailer, they're from a clip:

https://play.google.com/store/movies/details/Blade_Runner_Final_Cut_Ultra_HD?id=JMyz9bnKITY

The actual "trailer" for the 4K release is absolutely hideous, everything about it is FUBAR.

Paragon

...lol the color timing reminds me of HEAT.
And I think Matrix did the same shit?
Yeah, they made later releases of The Matrix green to match the second and third films once they were out.
I'm not aware of an HD release with the original color grading, I think you have to find an old DVD. There might have been a D-VHS release with the original color grading, but the HD-DVDs and Blu-rays are all the green version of the film.
Fortunately with Heat, there are multiple Blu-ray releases. I have the original rather than the remastered disc.

jett

D-Member
Couldn't help making a gif of best android girl

yQrglWa.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I've just noticed that iTunes is selling the Blade Runner 4K for $10 US and only $7 in Canada! I wonder if that is in fact this transfer? I guess for $7 I'm buying it.
Btw it says it uses Dolby Vision, so that must be it.

Yes, I understand, and it's very likely that in terms of brightness and color grading, that clip is totally representative of this new transfer. But there's still a possibility that they took the original video file that's on the disc, and somehow mangled it a bit, to create that clip, which no doubt had to be re-encoded for the website. And yeah, that trailer is garbage, no doubt, lol.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OK, the Itunes release, watched on a 10.5" ipad, capable of HDR, does look very much like this new transfer. It is:
- Very crisp and detailed
- Brighter than I remember film ever being (However, I just turned the brightness on the ipad down, so it's fine then)
- In some scenes noise does become more visible than I'd like because of this extra brightness (again, turning the brightness on the device down makes this much less of an issue)
- Green push from the 2007 Final cut BD release is definitely toned down, for an overall best color grade so far IMO.

iOS doesn't allow taking screen caps of 4K movies, so I can't upload any, unfortunately.

RS4-

I watched FC this morning on blu. Might buy the 4k one on iTunes.

Does it actually play in 4k HDR in the actual app or do I need something like apple tv or whatever the fuck.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I watched FC this morning on blu. Might buy the 4k one on iTunes.

Does it actually play in 4k HDR in the actual app or do I need something like apple tv or whatever the fuck.
If you have an ipad, it does stream it in 4K. If you have a 10.5" iPad, it also streams in HDR. However, if you download it, it downloads the 1080p version.

jett

D-Member
OK, the Itunes release, watched on a 10.5" ipad, capable of HDR, does look very much like this new transfer. It is:
- Very crisp and detailed
- Brighter than I remember film ever being (However, I just turned the brightness on the ipad down, so it's fine then)
- In some scenes noise does become more visible than I'd like because of this extra brightness (again, turning the brightness on the device down makes this much less of an issue)
- Green push from the 2007 Final cut BD release is definitely toned down, for an overall best color grade so far IMO.

iOS doesn't allow taking screen caps of 4K movies, so I can't upload any, unfortunately.

How unbelievably annoying. Not even like a printscreen or something?

RS4-

If you have an ipad, it does stream it in 4K. If you have a 10.5" iPad, it also streams in HDR. However, if you download it, it downloads the 1080p version.

Wow fuck that, that's pretty lousy.

Might just have to wait for the UHD to go on sale or it to show up on netflix or some shit.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wow fuck that, that's pretty lousy.

Might just have to wait for the UHD to go on sale or it to show up on netflix or some shit.
4K stream they provide is very high quality though. Not on par with UHD BD of course, but it looks pretty damn good, and I can't really spot the compression artifacts even in scenes where I though they'd be easily visible. And to be fair, I'm not going to be downloading movies from itunes anyway. If I need it on a HDD locally, I'm ripping it from BD for the best quality

How unbelievably annoying. Not even like a printscreen or something?
Yeah, it sucks. I was doing a printscreen thing with pressing home button and power button at the same time. But the result of that is just a black image.

RS4-

I'd have to check my ipad, I don't know if it's actually recent enough to even do hdr.

Was just hoping that itunes itself was enough to stream in 4k hdr lol. Not gonna stream just basic 1080p when I've got the original BDs here on my desk :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'd have to check my ipad, I don't know if it's actually recent enough to even do hdr.

Was just hoping that itunes itself was enough to stream in 4k hdr lol. Not gonna stream just basic 1080p when I've got the original BDs here on my desk :(
I think only the new 10.5" ipad and maybe the 2nd gen 12.9" ipad support HDR playback. Both are made this year. Itunes application on a computer doesn't play 4K, sadly, even if you try it on a macbook pro with 1800p resolution. Yeah, it sucks - I bet they prohibit the playback on the computer because they know it would be easy to capture the stream.

jett

D-Member
4K stream they provide is very high quality though. Not on par with UHD BD of course, but it looks pretty damn good, and I can't really spot the compression artifacts even in scenes where I though they'd be easily visible. And to be fair, I'm not going to be downloading movies from itunes anyway. If I need it on a HDD locally, I'm ripping it from BD for the best quality

Yeah, it sucks. I was doing a printscreen thing with pressing home button and power button at the same time. But the result of that is just a black image.

This is why I dislike Apple's operating systems. They wrestle so much control away from the user.

SaintR

I've just noticed that iTunes is selling the Blade Runner 4K for $10 US and only $7 in Canada! I wonder if that is in fact this transfer? I guess for $7 I'm buying it.
Btw it says it uses Dolby Vision, so that must be it.

Damn was hoping that Vudu was also selling it that cheap but no dice, they’re selling The Final Cut 4K version for a whopping $29.99. No way I’m paying that especially since I already own the HDX version, at least let me pay a smaller fee to upgrade, not the full price jeez.

Type_Raver

I little late but also a bit off topic but I'm not sure where else to post, and this topic is somewhat related.

Is there a videophile discussion thread on gaf? Got a question I wanted to ask and thoughts to explore on the matter.

Thanks in advance.

Kev Kev

I little late but also a bit off topic but I'm not sure where else to post, and this topic is somewhat related.

Is there a videophile discussion thread on gaf? Got a question I wanted to ask and thoughts to explore on the matter.

Thanks in advance.
what do you mean? like a movie thread? we have a couple of those. never seen a thread that just discusses 'video' and all things related. thatd be cool though, you should make it!

Type_Raver

what do you mean? like a movie thread? we have a couple of those. never seen a thread that just discusses 'video' and all things related. thatd be cool though, you should make it!

Thanks For replying.

What I'm looking for is a home theatre thread were people discuss their home theatre set-ups, whether using a set top box media player, htpc or other. More about the hardware than the content consumed.

YCoCg

Thanks For replying.

What I'm looking for is a home theatre thread were people discuss their home theatre set-ups, whether using a set top box media player, htpc or other. More about the hardware than the content consumed.
There's a TV thread over in the gaming section and I think one for OLED TV's too where people talk about what settings they use to get the best out of specific content and such, I've posted where I can a few times to help people calibrate their TV's properly for both SDR and HDR content.

Top Bottom