• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat

cj_iwakura

I'm getting more than a little sick of GGers throwing hate at BB, that's for sure. Great, your game's coming to XBL/PSN, so shut up and go play it.

cj_iwakura

Relius VS Carl matches are pure awesome. We had Nirvana and Ignis duking it out on the opposite side of the screen. Amazing stuff.

Vodh

I vaguely remember that in some game after a patch the story mode still used the original balance including movelists, frames, damage values, etc. I'm just curious, in BBCS:Extend, what's the game version used by the story modes?

Ken

Yay, after an hour and a night of sleep, I finally got Makoto's 7th mission. I'm really liking the challenge mode in this game over the mission mode in UMvC3; seems to do a good job of giving a sense of how the character plays.

Busaiku

I wish the Trial commands were more like The King of Fighters XIII's.
Or at least, I wish Air Persia followups were on a single row.

Yay, after an hour and a night of sleep, I finally got Makoto's 7th mission. I'm really liking the challenge mode in this game over the mission mode in UMvC3; seems to do a good job of giving a sense of how the character plays.

I forget, does UMvC have a demonstration mode? I hate trial modes that just tell you the commands because you'll have no idea the timing.

Busaiku

Seriously Capcom games are so behind the times.
Street Fighter X Tekken still doesn't have that.

At least they got button customization down, finally.

Fugu

My internet was down a little while ago so I went through Litchi's Challenge mode. I wholeheartedly recommend that any prospective Litchi players avoid her challenges like the plague. They're all useless. Every last one of them. The last one is compellingly useless because it actually contains a move that does nothing but prorate the combo worse. One of the combos does 3k damage for 100 meter. I cannot think of a single scenario when you would want to do that. One of the combos is a CS1-style combo that has you RC 2C[m] into Itsuu A. This combo is both useless and may actually make you worse at the game by learning it, because the timing is so strict that it forces you to mash out Itsuu A due to the fact that in CS2 they implemented a minimum cancel time on Itsuu.

I understand that they're just supposed to be hard, and that's fine. But they're not (except for #12 and #14, but #12 is hard because the game doesn't actually tell you the inputs and if you don't have a good idea of how Daisharin works you'll probably never get it and #14 is hard because it contains unnecessary moves that just make the combo more difficult); they're just pointless. A prospective Litchi player will learn nothing useful and spend a lot of time doing it.

cj_iwakura

My internet was down a little while ago so I went through Litchi's Challenge mode. I wholeheartedly recommend that any prospective Litchi players avoid her challenges like the plague. They're all useless. Every last one of them. The last one is compellingly useless because it actually contains a move that does nothing but prorate the combo worse. One of the combos does 3k damage for 100 meter. I cannot think of a single scenario when you would want to do that. One of the combos is a CS1-style combo that has you RC 2C[m] into Itsuu A. This combo is both useless and may actually make you worse at the game by learning it, because the timing is so strict that it forces you to mash out Itsuu A due to the fact that in CS2 they implemented a minimum cancel time on Itsuu.

I understand that they're just supposed to be hard, and that's fine. But they're not (except for #12 and #14, but #12 is hard because the game doesn't actually tell you the inputs and if you don't have a good idea of how Daisharin works you'll probably never get it and #14 is hard because it contains unnecessary moves that just make the combo more difficult); they're just pointless. A prospective Litchi player will learn nothing useful and spend a lot of time doing it.

Tsubaki's, on the other hand, are pretty great for learning some solid combos.

Nothing really pro though, like the stuff that JP Tsubaki was using.
(Can't pull off that dash cancel 236B combo extender to save my life.)

Good intermediate stuff, though. I love the 6B4B jCj236C214C combo myself.

JWong

Banned
Just got Blazblue and...

wtf, the dialogue in this shit is so funny. I'm enjoying it and I haven't even fought yet!

Does anyone know how to get the alternate ending for Tsubaki? I played all the other BB games, but I can't remember her alternate path at all.

thanks
Just got Blazblue and...

wtf, the dialogue in this shit is so funny. I'm enjoying it and I haven't even fought yet!
You have no idea, dude. This game is full of top tier hilarity.

Roto13

Does anyone know how to get the alternate ending for Tsubaki? I played all the other BB games, but I can't remember her alternate path at all.

thanks

You have no idea, dude. This game is full of top tier hilarity.

You have to win every match with an Astral Finish or Distortion Finish.

Ken

Tried some ranked matches. I'm pretty garbage at this game. :(

Anyone still running scrub lobbies for the 360 or Vita?

njean777

Man Ragna is really hard at the end of Jin's arcade story, I am literllay getting my ass beat. The difficulty shot way up during this fight. Any tips? I am getting thrown around like a 7 year olds dolly.

Ken

What can I answer with as Makoto against attacks that have seemingly huge hitboxes? I played a Ragna today who kept doing some kind of overhead slash and I couldn't get in. Same with a Noel that kept doing some type of overhead pistol swing.

In MvC I would just call in a ranged assist but I'm not sure how I would approach people who spam the same move over and over in this game.

disclaimer: i don't play makoto and i suck at this game

you could block or instant block

makoto has a dp, so if you're sure the opponent is gonna spam something, use it to counter

xxczx

For someone who hasn't really played much fighting games and has a habit of button mashing thanks to games like Dynasty Warriors, should I get this game?

I've always been interested in Blazblue and people keep saying how good the story is but seeing gameplay videos always puts me off because of the crazy combos. I'll be buying this for Vita btw. My friend keeps nagging pestering me to get it.

Domstercool

For someone who hasn't really played much fighting games and has a habit of button mashing thanks to games like Dynasty Warriors, should I get this game?

I've always been interested in Blazblue and people keep saying how good the story is but seeing gameplay videos always puts me off because of the crazy combos. I'll be buying this for Vita btw. My friend keeps nagging pestering me to get it.

If you are willing to learn then the game offers you a brilliant tutorial that is better than any other tutorial system in a fighter to date.

There is a tutorial that will teach you how to play, but yeah, mashing will just get you destroyed online.

Seriously Capcom games are so behind the times.
Street Fighter X Tekken still doesn't have that.

At least they got button customization down, finally.
They don't have button customization down until it's applied across the board in all their fighting games. I'll say the same thing about online training mode, replays and good netcode.
You have to win every match with an Astral Finish or Distortion Finish.
Thanks for the heads up. I finished Tsubaki's story and finished Bang/Hakumen's stories. Now I can start on the new characters!

You don't need to learn complicated combos to enjoy the game. A lot of standard sub 10 hit combos will take out like 1/4 of a character's health and most buttons link together really well. Just don't expect to get that sort of damage against Tager if you are you are using Carl though.

Story mode will keep you busy for hours and hours before you even start playing online or with friends. Having one of the best challenge+tutorials in the genre helps a bunch too.
BBCS and CSE have great tutorials, but VF4E's tutorial is still unmached IMO.
Yeah, it's still good and a gigantic step up from having no tutorials combined with crappy challenges and no replay option.

Ken

Is there any way to create distance while blocking besides using burst? Something like advancing guard from Marvel?

I find that when I get trapped in the corner, I have no idea what to do and trying to jump and airdash out ends up with me getting hit and sent back to the corner.

Is barrier block holding back+AB? That doesn't really create distance does it?
I think it creates enough distance. It pushes them back far enough that overheads and low attacks don't work without moving forward and it nullifies chip(iirc). Creating more distance when bursts are already in place would make the game boring as hell.

Edit: Go to training mode and put the dummy on IB or Barrier block. You'll see it makes a big difference.

Ken

I think it creates enough distance. It pushes them back far enough that overheads and low attacks don't work without moving forward and it nullifies chip(iirc). Creating more distance when bursts are already in place would make the game boring as hell.

Ah okay. I didn't know it creates any distance at all.

Is barrier block holding back+AB? That doesn't really create distance does it?

It's enough for the opponent to whiff on certain attacks. It's not as strong as push block (1 or 2 will send the opponent to the other side), but it's not supposed to work the same way.

CA's are good if you have meter to spend. Some characters, like Valkenhayn, are way better off saving meters for rapids to extend combos or CAs to be back into the offensive. CA is done *while blocking* 6A+B. Costs 50% meter.

Just know that some CAs aren't real counters (such as Noel's). She just dodges to the other side.

If you are willing to learn then the game offers you a brilliant tutorial that is better than any other tutorial system in a fighter to date.

Lies! Everyone that's saying the tutorial is something awesome already knew how to play. As a complete beginner I can tell you without a doubt that the tutorial is terrible.

Sure comparing to other 2D fighting games it might seem awesome, since they don't have any, but I finished the whole thing and I'm not any better at the game than when I first started.

VF4Evo on the other hand took you from complete novice to quite advance with any character you wanted, hand holding you the whole time. Now THAT's an awesome tutorial.

I still really like the game, but it's pretty apparent that I'll need additional third party resources if I want to get any better (and I do).

Say, can Gadget Finger kill? I know it only does like 100 damage but there are times when the opponent has very little health and I expect that to do them in...

Disappointing that the ps3 version doesn't have custom soundtrack support. The vita version of course does and I wanted to play those songs on the ps3 version and no dice.

njean777

Lies! Everyone that's saying the tutorial is something awesome already knew how to play. As a complete beginner I can tell you without a doubt that the tutorial is terrible.

Sure comparing to other 2D fighting games it might seem awesome, since they don't have any, but I finished the whole thing and I'm not any better at the game than when I first started.

VF4Evo on the other hand took you from complete novice to quite advance with any character you wanted, hand holding you the whole time. Now THAT's an awesome tutorial.

I still really like the game, but it's pretty apparent that I'll need additional third party resources if I want to get any better (and I do).

Its fantastic in the sense that it explains all the minutia that goes on in the game, but character wise it really isnt.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

This.

I just played through the tutorial myself and felt it failed to 'teach me' much of anything beyond terms and lingo. As a beginner, I couldn't stand that almost the entirety of the tutorial locked me out of interactive play. It constantly would throw several tooltips at you with various commands and theories to keep in mind, but rarely ever built situations to help identify or understand them in practice. When control was returned to me, the tutorial did a poor job providing trials or tests that actually relate well to what was just discussed. Most of the time I was annoyed how brazenly it would provide seemingly important tips without ever challenging my understanding. You sit and read and read while the game hopes the myriad of principles will sink in, until you are given a basic 'Ragna' -specific move to accomplish and move on.

After the 1-2 hours of pushing through every lesson, I returned to the game without any real grasp on the core fundamentals. I could identify what the different meters on screen refer to, and what some of the obscure 'fighting terms' mean, but I was just as confused about playing the actual game as I did when I popped the disc in. Granted, Blazblue is a step-up over other fighting game tuorials, but the sheer praise given to what is on offer here isn't quite deserving.

Edit: I don't want to appear overtly negative, the foundation is here for getting new players, like myself, a good nudge in the right direction. It's just that the execution is not well implemented quite yet.

One consideration is that I would like fighting games to have a 'simple' mode in place for those of us that have a real difficult time with the crucial timing windows for inputting chains and certain moves. Maybe a time slow opportunity in training to identify the frame window inputs better as an example.

alstein

I'm getting more than a little sick of GGers throwing hate at BB, that's for sure. Great, your game's coming to XBL/PSN, so shut up and go play it.

I really think the GG announcement hurt BB's tourney numbers at FR, which were pitiful.

It's a shame because the game has improved.

BTW, Counter Assaults are baitable, I actually baited one against a predictable player today several times, using a jump-cancellable jump B. Can CA's be Choiversaled (do a move then do a special to beat the CA?)

Busaiku

I've never played Virtua Fighter 4 Evo, but how can a tutorial be more advanced?

There are an infinite amount of situations, and there's no real way to determine what works and what doesn't, unless you experience it yourself.
How would a tutorial teach that?

Top Bottom