• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat

What's with the chat staying empty even though people are playing? I know everyone in BBGAF isn't on my friendlist, so either change that or jump in the chat.

Fugu

I don't use the chat because I'm pretty sure I have all of BB GAF on PSN.

EDIT: Way too laggy guys, can't do any real combos. Ggs.

frequency

Oh umm...
I'm on the Vita if anyone wants to play. I'm not very good though and I don't really play with any consistency. Sometimes I'll play for multiple nights in a row, but then I'll put it down for like weeks. But I'll almost always stop whatever other games I'm playing if I get an invite.
My PSN ID is freqpsn

Ken

Oh umm...
I'm on the Vita if anyone wants to play. I'm not very good though and I don't really play with any consistency. Sometimes I'll play for multiple nights in a row, but then I'll put it down for like weeks. But I'll almost always stop whatever other games I'm playing if I get an invite.
My PSN ID is freqpsn

Want to play a few games now or tonight? I've been playing ME3 MP but I need a break from it.

Fugu

Who? I didn't notice any problems on my end... except that I was getting raped.
Both of you, although to a much greater extent with the other guy (I started passing so I could avoid playing him). Litchi is pretty execution heavy, although so is Taokaka.

Which brings me to my next point. You have the same problem as pretty much every other Taokaka player in history: Your pressure is getting you hits but you can't hitconfirm anything so it takes you literally dozens of hits. You have to deal 11k damage to your opponent to win and you're doing it like 500 points at a time. Learn this starter:

(Standing)
5B 5C j.B j.2B j.C 6A(2) jc things

(Crouching)
5B 6A(2) jc things

These combos aren't too hard if you're comfortable with the BB system (it took me about five minutes to learn it) and it will get you almost 3k midscreen even if you just do random shit in the air (j.BC dj.BC tj.BC or something like that). You should learn the proper combo eventually but for now you just need to hitconfirm something.

You also need to work on your neutral game but that's a longer endeavour and hitconfirm is more pressing.

One smaller thing: You poked me out of staff set, which is good. You did it every time, which is bad. I can bait you poking me out by putting the staff down and then launching it immediately, which, if you're poking, will leave you CH'd by the staff. Now, many Litchi players struggle to capitalize on staff hits because they don't have a lot of hitstun, but many (like myself) can and you will usually eat around 2.5k plus knockdown. Be mindful of that option.

frequency

Want to play a few games now or tonight? I've been playing ME3 MP but I need a break from it.

I'm never available to play during the day, but I would play evenings/nights.
You can send me an invite whenever I'm online. Unless stuff comes up, I'll probably be online tonight.

Fugu making me wish I played on PS3. I'm pretty self-critical and I think I have a decent(if vauge) idea of where my game is lacking, but it'd be nice to get a breakdown like that.

That being said, anyone up for some matches tonight on 360(8PM CST or so)?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Both of you, although to a much greater extent with the other guy (I started passing so I could avoid playing him). Litchi is pretty execution heavy, although so is Taokaka.

Which brings me to my next point. You have the same problem as pretty much every other Taokaka player in history: Your pressure is getting you hits but you can't hitconfirm anything so it takes you literally dozens of hits. You have to deal 11k damage to your opponent to win and you're doing it like 500 points at a time. Learn this starter:

(Standing)
5B 5C j.B j.2B j.C 6A(2) jc things

(Crouching)
5B 6A(2) jc things

These combos aren't too hard if you're comfortable with the BB system (it took me about five minutes to learn it) and it will get you almost 3k midscreen even if you just do random shit in the air (j.BC dj.BC tj.BC or something like that). You should learn the proper combo eventually but for now you just need to hitconfirm something.

You also need to work on your neutral game but that's a longer endeavour and hitconfirm is more pressing.

One smaller thing: You poked me out of staff set, which is good. You did it every time, which is bad. I can bait you poking me out by putting the staff down and then launching it immediately, which, if you're poking, will leave you CH'd by the staff. Now, many Litchi players struggle to capitalize on staff hits because they don't have a lot of hitstun, but many (like myself) can and you will usually eat around 2.5k plus knockdown. Be mindful of that option.

I don't typically play very competitive matches, so I'll admit that I get nervous under pressure and my execution and timing go straight out the window. I end up trying to do the same thing over and over instead of looking for openings or using what I know about a character to my advantage. Well, perhaps I need to play some ranked matches and try some more things out in training. Thanks for your tips... I'll check out those starters and maybe we'll meet again in the near future.

Fugu

I don't typically play very competitive matches, so I'll admit that I get nervous under pressure and my execution and timing go straight out the window. I end up trying to do the same thing over and over instead of looking for openings or using what I know about a character to my advantage. Well, perhaps I need to play some ranked matches and try some more things out in training. Thanks for your tips... I'll check out those starters and maybe we'll meet again in the near future.
Yeah, I understand about the nerves. I tend to just grind out my combos to such a ridiculous extent that I can do them blind and deaf, but it doesn't always pan out.

Avoid ranked like the plague until you have a good game plan for every character. The nature of ranked is such that you will essentially only have one round to figure out your opponent as there's a good chance that you won't be playing them next game. It's difficult to improve your game plan playing ranked because of this, as your mistakes probably won't be obvious to you if they weren't already obvious during the game itself (and if they were, you'd probably have won). Ranked is good for strengthening your ability to read your opponent, but it's not good for developing a method of playing your own character; you will just lose repeatedly if you can't already do that. I think you just need to spend more time in training mode and familiarize yourself with your hitconfirm routes and the things that Tao can do at neutral to avoid getting hit. You might make a list of possible things you can do and their advantages and disadvantages. Tao is a complex character though, so this will be a large list.

Then play Master Milk. He'll beat you, but not by a gigantic margin.
Fugu making me wish I played on PS3. I'm pretty self-critical and I think I have a decent(if vauge) idea of where my game is lacking, but it'd be nice to get a breakdown like that.

That being said, anyone up for some matches tonight on 360(8PM CST or so)?
Record yourself and I might be able to help, but it's easier if I'm the one playing against you.

Ken

I'm never available to play during the day, but I would play evenings/nights.
You can send me an invite whenever I'm online. Unless stuff comes up, I'll probably be online tonight.

Fighting your mu-12 was like playing a shmup lol.. I also laughed at getting poked to death by Hakumen's charging sword stab thingy. So scary. u.u

Good games though!

frequency

Fighting your mu-12 was like playing a shmup lol.. I also laughed at getting poked to death by Hakumen's charging sword stab thingy. So scary. u.u

Good games though!

I had fun.
I got really unlucky with the randoms though. The only character I got that I even remotely knew how to play was Taokaka. I also know how to do most moves with Lambda 11, but I don't know how to connect any of it into anything or how to get distance.
I still know Noel best but didn't get her at all.

I have no idea how to use Carl's puppet. The Drive button seems to make it walk with me and some combinations make it do like a super slow swipe. I don't know how to actually make it walk faster to catch up to the fight or do anything other than that swipe.
Near the end with Hazama, I finally learned like two moves. Hehe.

Hakumen's attacks seem to do so much damage. I don't know how his Drive works either though. When I hit X, it just has this blue barrier thing. I think it's a counter but my timing sucks. I think I hit once with it only.

Your Tsubaki is too good for me. I'm too slow to even deal with that dash move that puts you behind me, which gives you a free hit into a combo since I wouldn't be blocking anymore.

Ken

I had fun.
I got really unlucky with the randoms though. The only character I got that I even remotely knew how to play was Taokaka. I also know how to do most moves with Lambda 11, but I don't know how to connect any of it into anything or how to get distance.
I still know Noel best but didn't get her at all.

I have no idea how to use Carl's puppet. The Drive button seems to make it walk with me and some combinations make it do like a super slow swipe. I don't know how to actually make it walk faster to catch up to the fight or do anything other than that swipe.
Near the end with Hazama, I finally learned like two moves. Hehe.

Hakumen's attacks seem to do so much damage. I don't know how his Drive works either though. When I hit X, it just has this blue barrier thing. I think it's a counter but my timing sucks. I think I hit once with it only.

Your Tsubaki is too good for me. I'm too slow to even deal with that dash move that puts you behind me, which gives you a free hit into a combo since I wouldn't be blocking anymore.

Why not choose Noel instead of doing random?

I actually had no idea how Tsubaki's D meter worked until 3 or 4 games in, since they always automatically give me meter in the challenge mode to do those combos. I was getting frustrated since my combos kept dropping and I had no idea why. :X

frequency

Why not choose Noel instead of doing random?

I actually had no idea how Tsubaki's D meter worked until 3 or 4 games in, since they always automatically give me meter in the challenge mode to do those combos. I was getting frustrated since my combos kept dropping and I had no idea why. :X

I always have more fun with random. It gives me more variety and I don't feel like I'm spending all my time grinding away at learning one character.
I know I'll never get good with any character this way, but I don't care about winning so eh...

I knew Tsubaki's drive is a charge thing for more damage, but I never find time to use it.

Ken

I always have more fun with random. It gives me more variety and I don't feel like I'm spending all my time grinding away at learning one character.
I know I'll never get good with any character this way, but I don't care about winning so eh...

Hah, I see. Your Taokaka is pretty scary though! I think random gave you Taokaka last time we played too; maybe it means something. :p

OmegaZero

Got this for the Vita.
Surprising amount of single-player content to say the least.

Anyone got any tips for a BB scrub starting with Hazama?
I do have experience in GG and SF, but this is my first BB game (I tried Calamity Trigger for maybe 10 minutes in 2010).

frequency

Turn it on and dash into it, although for the most part it's your responsibility to bring them to Nirvana.

Hmm alright. Of all the characters I've played so far, he seems to be the most complicated but also the most interesting. I like the idea of the puppet and I love his character design. I might actually take an evening to learn at least basics with him in training mode.

nHDR

Banned
Never played a Blazblue game before. Can anyone give me a comparison to, say, Street Fighter? Is it a rushdown combo game? Is there zoning?

Faster than SF
Chains emphasized over Links
Every characters is unique
Rushdown exists
Zoning exists
Combos exist
anime stereotypes instead of cultural stereotypes

Fugu

Moves are slower but characters are a lot faster. Projectiles don't work at all like they do in SF, and many (if not most) can readily be punished on whiff even at full screen, so firing them repeatedly does not work. There's quite a bit of zoning. Most (non-zoning) characters accomplish this with space-controlling normals, whereas the zoning characters accomplish it with strong mobility options and/or a smattering of lingering projectiles. Strictly defensive/runaway game is discouraged by the game through a negative penalty system that makes players take significantly more damage if they run too much; this system is disproportionately weighted so that zoning characters are less likely to be penalized. Combos are prevalent, although midscreen combos are generally short, unless they're off of CH or an unusual hit like some anti-airs on the ground. Characters can be attacked while knocked down in this game, so oki takes on a rather unique form in BB where players are often forced to deliberately put themselves in bad situations to avoid being reset without even being given an opportunity to block. This has the consequence of making the corner a far more dangerous place than in SF.

KiteGr

Faster than SF
Chains emphasized over Links
Every characters is unique
Rushdown exists
Zoning exists
Combos exist
anime stereotypes instead of cultural stereotypes
Most importandly, Each character is a science of his own, with unique effects, rules, and mechanics...
In SF, some characters have unique moves, but they are all about punching dudes.

Two more weeks until the Platinum voice. u_u

Does BB not have PSN avatars? I can't seem to find any anywhere. I just realized that I wouldn't mind a Platinum one.

Also, fuck Noel, still.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND Tsubaki Yayoi system voice DLC is out now :D!

S1s0c.png

Litchi Faye Ling system voice DLC came out last week :)
Sorry, I was at GDC!

LTd7S.png

Oh god, my wrists. Does all this dash cancelling become easier to do? I'm stuck on Ragna's challenge 9 doing the jD -> JC -> jD -> Inferno Divider at the end. The JC -> jD whiffs mostly, got to the ID twice and screwed up the follow up and raged hard.

After about half an hour on that I could barely get any dashes out. Don't think I'll be able to play any more today lol

I think dash cancels are supposed to be buffered so that your character actually performs them as early as possible. If that's what you're having trouble with, play around with just that part of the combo until you've got it down.

Oh yeah, I get that. The instructions mention to dash following the 2nd hit of 6C and 5D. Thing is I kept messing up at the end so I had to do it from the beginning over and over.

Really just bickering about how sore I am ;_;

You might want to learn a more... practical application of a dash cancel first.

Do they have generalized uses or are they character specific? Just doing the challenges for the execution tasks that they are and to sample the characters, as well as get a grasp on how inputs work in this game.

With how differently each character plays is a requirement to have an idea as a main early on, or is it like SF where fundamentals go a long way?

While I'm really intrigued at the prospect of sinking some time into this and levelling up, I have no idea where to start.

You want to narrow it down to three or so characters and then you can figure out a main. Fundamentals don't take you as far in this game as they might in others. Matchups are fair, but too different across the board.

You might want to start by listing your preferred playstyle. Do you like high risk characters? Is low health a problem for you?

Fugu

Do they have generalized uses or are they character specific? Just doing the challenges for the execution tasks that they are and to sample the characters, as well as get a grasp on how inputs work in this game.

With how differently each character plays is a requirement to have an idea as a main early on, or is it like SF where fundamentals go a long way?

While I'm really intrigued at the prospect of sinking some time into this and levelling up, I have no idea where to start.
Dash cancels are a key part of Ragna, Hakumen and Jin's combos, but they're basically irrelevant for a decent percentage of the cast (there are literally zero applications for it for Litchi, for example) so if you haven't already done so, you should figure out which character you want to play. If that's what you're using challenge mode for I guess that's fine, although that won't really give you an idea of their playstyle.

Fundamentals go a long way in this game but not in the same sense as SF. There is far too much character-specific information for fundamentals alone to carry you, because many (most? - Carl Relius(?) Makoto Litchi Taokaka Hazama Valkenhyn Rachel Arakune Platinum) get poor damage using just gatlings and individual moves, and basically everyone except for Ragna depends on character-specific mechanics for pressure.

Because of that, you should probably pick a character first because you start divulging into learning more information. You may want to watch some videos of them being played by good players or something. Then, you should learn BnBs (not challenge mode combos) of that character from common starters -- for a lot of characters, this will mean 5A and/or 5B -- and try to work that combo into a match. Learning combos will help you familiarize yourself with a character's gatling table, and learning useful combos will allow you to actually put what you're learning to use, which is something that challenge mode can't really provide you.

Just don't play Ragna, because he's so god damn autopilot at mid-level play in this version that it hurts.

Fugu

Anyone. Some are easier than others but all of them are doable, and you'll be more motivated to play a character that you like. Most of the information you'll learn in this game from playing a character is non-transferable, so you can't progress from an "easy" character to a "hard" character very smoothly.

Solune

Oh god, my wrists. Does all this dash cancelling become easier to do? I'm stuck on Ragna's challenge 9 doing the jD -> JC -> jD -> Inferno Divider at the end. The JC -> jD whiffs mostly, got to the ID twice and screwed up the follow up and raged hard.

After about half an hour on that I could barely get any dashes out. Don't think I'll be able to play any more today lol

I think some people might be getting dash cancelling confused, or I might be the one getting confused. Some moves can be Dash Cancelled like Ragna's 6C or 5D first part or second part. For combos like Ragna's follow up to Belial Edge (214C) You cannot dash cancel that and you cannot buffer the dash, you have to time the dash and attack.

Unrelated note: Got my Jubei. Thanks you know who ;)

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
I think some people might be getting dash cancelling confused, or I might be the one getting confused. Some moves can be Dash Cancelled like Ragna's 6C or 5D first part or second part. For combos like Ragna's follow up to Belial Edge (214C) You cannot dash cancel that and you cannot buffer the dash, you have to time the dash and attack.

Unrelated note: Got my Jubei. Thanks you know who ;)

Such an adorable Jubei plushie <3

OmegaZero

I know it's old for most of you Blazblue vets, but I love the references to Guilty Gear.
Ragna's basically a walking homage to Sol (well, not completely, but the similarities, man).

Did I mention the Vita's godly d-pad is amazing for this? Love this so far.

Another question: can anyone tell me if the Challenges represent practical combos? Or am I better off lurking around Dustloop and Blazblue.com?
Some of them seem really iffy (stares at Ragna's #15), so I was just wondering...

Ken

I know it's old for most of you Blazblue vets, but I love the references to Guilty Gear.
Ragna's basically a walking homage to Sol (well, not completely, but the similarities, man).

Another question: can anyone tell me if the Challenges represent practical combos? Or am I better off lurking around Dustloop and Blazblue.com?
Some of them seem really iffy (stares at Ragna's #15), so I was just wondering...

If you want to play with a scrub, I'm on the Vita too (and the 360).

My PSN is nya_08.

Hyphen

I'd say the later challenge combos for the majority of the characters aren't that necessary during general play. Personally, I found them useful in terms of learning what is actually possible with the character. However, most of my combo education has come from watching matches on YouTube. And sometimes the best combo isn't even a combo - It's fooling your opponent into thinking that you're going to continue a set of attacks, but instead you break the combo string and restart/reset with a new set of attacks when your opponent is busy anticipating (blocking high or low) the previous combo continuing.

Fugu

Another question: can anyone tell me if the Challenges represent practical combos?
As a rule, no. While many of them resemble practical combos, they are often either not damage efficient or not meter efficient. You can generally instantly rule out anything that costs 100 heat or anything that costs 50 heat and doesn't give corner carry and/or a ton of damage.

I don't play Ragna though, so I can't give any specific examples.

Hyphen: Resets are cool and all but if you don't reset into a combo people are going to catch on. Also, Ragna's resets are obvious and dumb (HURR DURR I CAN'T HITCONFIRM 5B 6B).

OmegaZero

If you want to play with a scrub, I'm on the Vita too (and the 360).
My PSN is nya_08.

My PSN is OmegaZero336.
But yeah, I'm still a scrub too. Trying to decide between maining Ragna and Hazama, since in most fighting games, I tend to play the offensive "rush-down" character. But Hazama seems like a nice change of pace, and I find his challenges are going down easier then Ragna's.

I'd say the later challenge combos for the majority of the characters aren't that necessary during general play. Personally, I found them useful in terms of learning what is actually possible with the character. However, most of my combo education has come from watching matches on YouTube. And sometimes the best combo isn't even a combo - It's fooling your opponent into thinking that you're going to continue a set of attacks, but instead you break the combo string and restart/reset with a new set of attacks when your opponent is busy anticipating (blocking high or low) the previous combo continuing.

Thanks. I'll try to remember that. Hated learning blockstrings and mixups in GG though. @_@

As a rule, no. While many of them resemble practical combos, they are often either not damage efficient or not meter efficient. You can generally instantly rule out anything that costs 100 heat or anything that costs 50 heat and doesn't give corner carry and/or a ton of damage.

Ah, that clears things up. Thank you.

Top Bottom