• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat

Oh boy are you going to love when they add Jubei in.
I'll abuse the shit out of him if his style fits with me. I've always wanted Jubei in since I saw him.
I may not be able to do them consistently at the moment, but Hazama's combos are so fun to do. Shredding people up in mid-air after knocking them around with his drive is hilarious to me for some reason.

Yes, I am loving this game. Can't believe I never really got into Blazblue before.
I bet a lot more people would feel this way if they gave it a legitimate shot.
The joke endings are amazing.
Just completed Ragna's and Noel's. Hopefully the other joke endings will be just as awesome.
Wait until you get to Jin and Rachel's joke endings. Probably two of my favorites haha.
Isn't the 3rd spirit in Platinum's staff?
Yeah, but I think she does spend some time in Plat's brain too.
Super Norcal Install's Blazblue Extend tournament is now live. I think we have Pacific North West, Socal, and Norcal all in the building. You guys can watch here if interested: http://www.twitch.tv/finestko
Thanks for the heads up.
The stream's getting incredible.
I definitely agree with you. The Bang swag on display is crazy and I'm glad that Mike Z is giving Extend a try now that Skullgirls is done. Dude brings some mean tension to the game.

Ecto311

Probably asked before but searched and found nothing:

Is it worth it to get this over the first continuum shift? I have the one before this as a gift but thinking about returning it for this version. Is it worth the extra in cash? Never played it before but looking to get into it

Thanks for any advice

Busaiku

Is it worth it to get this over the first continuum shift? I have the one before this as a gift but thinking about returning it for this version. Is it worth the extra in cash? Never played it before but looking to get into it

Thanks for any advice

Yes.

the newest version

with the most characters and features

and better balance than the previous versions

plus a thriving community, because it's the newest version

hmmmm

Ecto311

the newest version

with the most characters and features

and better balance than the previous versions

plus a thriving community, because it's the newest version

hmmmm

Well being new to this game in general I didnt know if it was a full new game or just the old game with new stuff. Sounds like I will try and make the swap somewhere for this game.

Side story: last night my car was stolen- I had blazblue CS in it so I could return it and get the new one. Game was gone. Then today fedex delivers a package - we didnt order anything and its another copy. Have no idea how that happened but I have CS again. Weird shit, maybe I am supposed to be playing this version.

OmegaZero

Wait until you get to Jin and Rachel's joke endings. Probably two of my favorites haha.

I just got them today. Hilarious stuff. Gotta feel almost sorry for Rachel, though.
The "Help Me, Professor Kokonoe!" skits are awesome too.

On another note, the AI is classically cheap. Unlimited Ragna somehow knows whenever I'm going in for a grab and just counters it with Inferno Divider. :/
Unlimited Mars mode looks like it'll be hell...

But yeah, this was definitely worth getting. No regrets.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Dat stream... I'm gonna need some videos later, because I watched for about an hour and didn't see any Taokakas. Maybe she's not completely tournament worthy -- or maybe just not a popular choice. I have no idea why I gravitate to quick characters that give little damage...

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Dat stream... I'm gonna need some videos later, because I watched for about an hour and didn't see any Taokakas. Maybe she's not completely tournament worthy -- or maybe just not a popular choice. I have no idea why I gravitate to quick characters that give little damage...
Americans can't use Tao. Check out God's Garden 5.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Semantics aside, I really don't think there are any Westerners that can match the way the Japanese play Tao at the moment. Watching them is really mind-blowing. Then again, I've never seen this XDest play, but tbh, my money wouldn't be on him.

Fugu

Semantics aside, I really don't think there are any Westerners that can match the way the Japanese play Tao at the moment. Watching them is really mind-blowing. Then again, I've never seen this XDest play, but tbh, my money wouldn't be on him.
That argument is applicable to all non-Japan play of BlazBlue. There is a significant gap between the Japanese and non-Japanese community. The specific part of your post that is inaccurate, however, is this:

Lumination said:
Americans can't use Tao.
Yes they can. Don't confuse the gap as being unable to play, because these players are still playing on a very high level.

I think I have the most fun when I don't play Platinum serious.

I should just learn some show off item combos and use Platinum as the fuck around character.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Yes they can. Don't confuse the gap as being unable to play, because these players are still playing on a very high level.
I think it was pretty obvious that such a broad statement was clearly hyperbole leading into the GG5 recommendation.

Also, there's no point having any player hunt down (relatively) rare videos of subpar Western Taos when there's an abundance of great Japanese Tao videos scattered all over Jourdal's channel. So, I don't really know why you're confronting my statement.

Busaiku

I never figured it out, but what does the Yellow ! mean?
Is it a low?

Haven't played through all of the tutorial and I don't remember seeing an explanation for that.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I don't remember which color is which, but there's a red, yellow, and blue variation. One means hit with a low, one means hit with an overhead, and one means hit with an air-unblockable.

Fugu

I think it was pretty obvious that such a broad statement was clearly hyperbole leading into the GG5 recommendation.

Also, there's no point having any player hunt down (relatively) rare videos of subpar Western Taos when there's an abundance of great Japanese Tao videos scattered all over Jourdal's channel. So, I don't really know why you're confronting my statement.
Because you're implying that they're subpar.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Because you're implying that they're subpar.
Because it's the ugly truth. I want to see Western play improve just like everyone else. I was elated when the Japanese praised Spark's Evo performance. Watching NCI these last two days makes me excited, because I see the leveling up everyone is doing.

However, at the end of the day, the Japanese are better at this game. Their level is still higher, and they are constantly putting out indepth tutorials. If anyone asked for resources for learning Tao, or any character, I would point them to where the better resources are. Hopefully, we'll continue to improve here, and in two or three more years, the above will no longer be true. Until then, yes, Western play is subpar. No need to get all worked up about it.

EDIT: Dabbit's retiring noooooooooooooo

Fugu

Because it's the ugly truth. I want to see Western play improve just like everyone else. I was elated when the Japanese praised Spark's Evo performance. Watching NCI these last two days makes me excited, because I see the leveling up everyone is doing.

However, at the end of the day, the Japanese are better at this game. Their level is still higher, and they are constantly putting out indepth tutorials. If anyone asked for resources for learning Tao, or any character, I would point them to where the better resources are. Hopefully, we'll continue to improve here, and in two or three more years, the above will no longer be true. Until then, yes, Western play is subpar. No need to get all worked up about it.
Look up the meaning of the word "subpar" in the dictionary, because it certainly doesn't describe the best North American players. There's still a lot of mind games and a lot of really in-depth play. Having put a lot of time into the game and played some of North America's best, I can tell you just how incredible some of these players are.

Yeah, the top level Japanese players are better, but the North American scene is still very, very strong. And it's ridiculous of you to assert that the scene's best are below average; I welcome you to step up and prove it mostly because it will provide to you a scale to realize just how small the difference between the top non-Japanese and Japanese players are. There is tonnes to be learned from both Japan and the US. The more good players you watch, the better. Limiting yourself to only the Japanese will make you excellent at jab pressure but will leave you entirely unaware to the tactics mostly employed by the players on your own continent.

Crazy ass prize pool for Bluerevo.

1st place - 1,000,000 yen
2nd place - 300,000 yen
3rd place - 100,000 yen
Pretty big numbers here going by simple conversion. Even the lowest amount should still be at or above $1000 USD.

Thanks for any advice
It is without a doubt the best version to get.
Well being new to this game in general I didnt know if it was a full new game or just the old game with new stuff. Sounds like I will try and make the swap somewhere for this game.

Side story: last night my car was stolen- I had blazblue CS in it so I could return it and get the new one. Game was gone. Then today fedex delivers a package - we didnt order anything and its another copy. Have no idea how that happened but I have CS again. Weird shit, maybe I am supposed to be playing this version.
Hopefully they catch the person who did this(or they get what is coming to them).
I just got them today. Hilarious stuff. Gotta feel almost sorry for Rachel, though.
The "Help Me, Professor Kokonoe!" skits are awesome too.

On another note, the AI is classically cheap. Unlimited Ragna somehow knows whenever I'm going in for a grab and just counters it with Inferno Divider. :/
Unlimited Mars mode looks like it'll be hell...

But yeah, this was definitely worth getting. No regrets.
I like those a lot too. I'm actually looking forward to the "Teach me" series which I have to do again as well. I rarely touch the extra modes, but I do have fun with them when I try them out.
Tao doesn't get much play in the US. She is most definitely a very powerful character. She's been more or less at A tier since CS1 iirc. The level of play with her at Godsgarden was high.
Lambda's entire story makes me sad.
If her gag ending was supposed to be funny, then it failed. Miserably.
Pun intended.
I played it again knowing exactly how it would turn out and I was still not prepared for that. Maybe the little tartar survives the trip and we won't know about it until BB3?

:'(
I think I have the most fun when I don't play Platinum serious.

I should just learn some show off item combos and use Platinum as the fuck around character.
She is extremely fun when you have someone cornered, but I have no clue with her when it comes to the middle of a stage. It reminds me of how awkward Bang felt in CS2 when they took away his easy wallbounces. I was at a loss. I'm a little wiser and more stubborn now so I'll figure something out.
In a bit, Top 8 blazblue for Super Norcal Install will be on at www.twitch.tv/finestko
We got PNW, Socal, and Norcal in top 8, so you can root for your favorite region too!
You guys did a fantastic job. The stream was high quality, the commentary was knowledgeable/hyper(a bit colorful for a post cross assault world though) and the player talent was off the charts all around. These smaller games really need the stream time and a place for fans to gather at.

Wonderful job!
BRKRdave's Rachel is so much fun to watch
Definitely true. He uses damn near all of her tools extremely well and he seems to have lots of patience too. Sorta reminds me of Severin now that I think about it. Both of them are great. It's nice to see space control having so much power in this game as well.

EDIT: Dabbit's retiring noooooooooooooo
It'll take time, but the American scene is slowly stepping up to the plate. The Japanese are bound to have a leg up when it comes to travel and sheer numbers.

Also, Dabbit retiring is a shame. His Arakune is amazing and I wanted to see so much more of it in action. I hope Mike Z gives the game a whirl again. It doesn't make up for the loss of Dabbit entirely, but the game needs all the talent it can get right now.

Fugu

Okay, I'm working on IBing, and I could use some help.

Could some of you guys type out like, a sample blockstring that you would use (as well as the character you're doing it with)? I would really appreciate it. It doesn't need to be complex.

OmegaZero

Could some of you guys type out like, a sample blockstring that you would use (as well as the character you're doing it with)? I would really appreciate it. It doesn't need to be complex.

Here's one I do with Hazama:
2A>(2A>2A>)>5B>3C>236D

Does this stuff qualify? It's stuff I've been practicing for guard breaks using Bang. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to BB so this helps me as much as it does you if it is legit.

air dash(5B>4C)>5A>2A>2B>6C>j.236(A,C or D)>5A>5C

air dash(5B>4C)>2A>6C>6B>rapid cancel>5A>5C>2C

I hope I'm doing this right. I don't have much experience with them in battle, but they shouldn't have any holes in them. I also like throwing nails in between, but IB really kills those crazy blockstrings and nail conservation is important for Bang.

Fugu

Does this stuff qualify? It's stuff I've been practicing for guard breaks using Bang. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to BB so this helps me as much as it does you if it is legit.

air dash(5B>4C)>5A>2A>2B>6C>j.236(A,C or D)>5A>5C

air dash(5B>4C)>2A>6C>6B>rapid cancel>5A>5C>2C

I hope I'm doing this right. I don't have much experience with them in battle, but they shouldn't have any holes in them. I also like throwing nails in between, but IB really kills those crazy blockstrings and nail conservation is important for Bang.
As a rule, anything that allows you to go from the air to the ground has a hole in it and the size of it depends on how far off the ground you are. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm fairly sure that 2B 6C is unsafe (the online frame data isn't current so this might be wrong) and that you can also DP 6C j.236(A/C) on regular block.

These are great though, thanks. I'm going to take the nails out because it makes it easier for me to have the computer do it repeatedly without them.

Thanks to you too Omegazero, that one's actually pretty easy to IB seeing as it's mostly 2A. 3C 236D is unsafe, by the way.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Look up the meaning of the word "subpar" in the dictionary, because it certainly doesn't describe the best North American players. There's still a lot of mind games and a lot of really in-depth play. Having put a lot of time into the game and played some of North America's best, I can tell you just how incredible some of these players are.

Yeah, the top level Japanese players are better, but the North American scene is still very, very strong. And it's ridiculous of you to assert that the scene's best are below average; I welcome you to step up and prove it mostly because it will provide to you a scale to realize just how small the difference between the top non-Japanese and Japanese players are. There is tonnes to be learned from both Japan and the US. The more good players you watch, the better. Limiting yourself to only the Japanese will make you excellent at jab pressure but will leave you entirely unaware to the tactics mostly employed by the players on your own continent.
I know what subpar means, thanks. And yes, compared to the Japanese, Western play IS below average. You want an instance where American play isn't subpar? Look at SFIV. Westerners are completely able to hold their own ground against foreign players. People like Jwong, Latif, PChamp all have played against the Japanese, and they've all won big matches or put up a good fight. THAT is an example of a small skill gap between regions. Look at Marvel. Here's an instance where Western play is above average. Until Kusoru came along, we dominated that game. Can you give me an instance of this in BB? I don't know what you want me to "step up and prove". Do you want me to join the competitive scene to illustrate how it can't compare to Japan? That doesn't even make sense. Conversely, why don't you step up and show me that Westerners can go toe-to-toe with the Japanese?

It seems to me that you don't follow the Japanese scene much. If you did, you'd know that their advantage is a little more than "excellent jab pressure". Trivializing that aspect alone makes you seem ridiculous. Have you tried to compare Japanese defensive play to Western play? Have you seen how well they space and play footsies? Have you seen the amazing conversions they do? I've yet to see a Western Hazama gain close to 50 heat from IBing the first 10 seconds, yet this happens fairly often across the ocean. Watch a Bang/Litchi match from GG5 and compare that to Huey's game in the team tournament yesterday. I think Huey's Bang is one of the best in America, but it doesn't compare to Nezu and Dora, who didn't even make T8 in GG5.

Ragna:
2A > 5B > 5C > 2C > etc
Hazama:
2AxN > 5B > 5C > (2C) > jc
2AxN > 5B > 5C > (2C) > 3C > 214D~(A, B, or C)
Tager:
5A > 2B > 5B > 5C
5B > 2B > 5B > 2B
5A > 5B > jc > j.B > (j.C) > lowest j.2C
Bang:
5A > 2AA > 5B > 2B > jc
5A > 5B > 5C > 6B
5A > 5B > 6A > 2C > jc

OmegaZero

I'm fairly sure you can get DPed out of the 236D startup

Ouch, looks like it.
Well, Hazama's close range pressure sucks anyway. At least from what I can see. :/

I wonder why nobody's taken advantage of that online? I've done that on like every Ragna I've fought.

EDIT: This is probably obvious for Hazama mains, but I've just discovered the wonders of 214D. Risky, but rewarding!

So I've never played Blazblue but was always interested. How hard is learning blazblue? I have a pretty good knowledge of 2d fighters (mvc2, mvc3, 3s, cvs2 and now SFxT. Yeah I skipped SF4).

Also how good is the Vita version? I was planning to get a vita and probably picking BB up.

Fugu

excellent jab pressure
This isn't trivializing. Jab pressure is strong. It's the strongest kind of pressure, and it's strong in Japan because they can block things that we can't. It makes the mixups real but it reduces the number of attempts that the player on the offense has because it strips out all of the unsafe aspects of pressure. Western players don't utilize jab pressure as extensively specifically for that reason because the weaker defense as a whole allows them to get away with more.

I'm going to have to route you back to your dictionary and look up the meaning of the word "average", then, because there's a large body of Japanese players who are worse than the best that America has. It's as if you believe that the entire Japanese playerbase is just red shifted towards superiority over the American community, and it's not. Again, there's still much to be learned from watching America play BB.

Ragna:
2A > 5B > 5C > 2C > etc
Hazama:
2AxN > 5B > 5C > (2C) > jc
2AxN > 5B > 5C > (2C) > 3C > 214D~(A, B, or C)
Tager:
5A > 2B > 5B > 5C
5B > 2B > 5B > 2B
5A > 5B > jc > j.B > (j.C) > lowest j.2C
Bang:
5A > 2AA > 5B > 2B > jc
5A > 5B > 5C > 6B
5A > 5B > 6A > 2C > jc
Thanks for these.

Ouch, looks like it.
Well, Hazama's close range pressure sucks anyway. At least from what I can see. :/

I wonder why nobody's taken advantage of that online? I've done that on like every Ragna I've fought.

EDIT: This is probably obvious for Hazama mains, but I've just discovered the wonders of 214D. Risky, but rewarding!
Use jabs, stance (sparingly) and your command grab. Hazama's close-range pressure is excellent.

So I've never played Blazblue but was always interested. How hard is learning blazblue? I have a pretty good knowledge of 2d fighters (mvc2, mvc3, 3s, cvs2 and now SFxT. Yeah I skipped SF4).

Also how good is the Vita version? I was planning to get a vita and probably picking BB up.

I still played it just a bit but i can tell you that the game is really deep. Deeper than the most of the fighting games out there. IMHO (I am not a big fan of fighters) it is the most complex one. But it has a good tutorial as far as i've seen. Andpeople on this thread are very helpful.

Top Bottom