• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat

Fugu

I was having some issues last night and I didn't end up being able to play. I inexplicably have today off now, however, so if anyone wants to play any time today, let me know. I'm supposed to be attending a tournament tomorrow and I am less than polished...

Is this worth picking up or should I wait for BBCP for my BB fix? Although there's still no solid NA release date.

If there's at least some people to play with online that will be enough for me.

Rhapsody

Banned
I was having some issues last night and I didn't end up being able to play. I inexplicably have today off now, however, so if anyone wants to play any time today, let me know. I'm supposed to be attending a tournament tomorrow and I am less than polished...

I'm able to play today (but don't expect too much since I'm rusty). If it's PSN, my ID is Rhapzody_

Is this worth picking up or should I wait for BBCP for my BB fix? Although there's still no solid NA release date.

If there's at least some people to play with online that will be enough for me.

IMO, not really worth it unless you want the story. Feels like it's the most balanced game yet but in exchange of fun. Game feels slower, combos feel awkward and everyone is balanced downward (meaning nerfed).

IMO, not really worth it unless you want the story. Feels like it's the most balanced game yet but in exchange of fun. Game feels slower, combos feel awkward and everyone is balanced downward (meaning nerfed).

Well I ended up getting it anyway for $19.99.

I guess I can go through the new story modes.

From what I've read of BBCP though apparently it's supposed to be a lot faster. I guess I'll have a frame of reference soon from Extend since the last time I played it was with CS.

Fugu

I think CS2 is more balanced than CSEX if you discount Tager. I agree with everything else, though.

I'm able to play today (but don't expect too much since I'm rusty). If it's PSN, my ID is Rhapzody_
I'll add you in a few.

Damn

I was getting used to Noel again in Extend when I decided to look at some BBCP combo's/matches for her.

It's so freaking fast now. It looks even faster than any previous game in the series so far.

Fugu

Damn

I was getting used to Noel again in Extend when I decided to look at some BBCP combo's/matches for her.

It's so freaking fast now. It looks even faster than any previous game in the series so far.
It's good that they're changing her: Noel's character design in EX is possibly the worst designed character in any fighting game I've played.

Noel in CS1 was a character that always dealt a lot of damage but had no ability to land hits.
In CS2, they decided that they would design a character around landing hits by utilizing movies with bizarre and completely not obvious hit properties (I cannot even describe to you how annoying CS2 4D is for anyone who doesn't play Noel).
In CSEX, they took this one step further and made Noel a character with bizarre moves that is oriented almost entirely around fishing for lows midscreen and then pressing buttons until their opponent is dead. It's not that I feel she's overpowered or anything, because she's not (her oki is quite bad for a rushdown character and she has no ability to zone whatsoever); if anything, the opposite is true. I just think it's silly that they designed a character with such an obvious and straightforward gameplan that is only made viable by her almost absurd damage and carry coupled with a nonsensical set of moves that don't function anything like they look like they would.

It's good that they're changing her: Noel's character design in EX is possibly the worst designed character in any fighting game I've played.

Noel in CS1 was a character that always dealt a lot of damage but had no ability to land hits.
In CS2, they decided that they would design a character around landing hits by utilizing movies with bizarre and completely not obvious hit properties (I cannot even describe to you how annoying CS2 4D is for anyone who doesn't play Noel).
In CSEX, they took this one step further and made Noel a character with bizarre moves that is oriented almost entirely around fishing for lows midscreen and then pressing buttons until their opponent is dead. It's not that I feel she's overpowered or anything, because she's not (her oki is quite bad for a rushdown character and she has no ability to zone whatsoever); if anything, the opposite is true. I just think it's silly that they designed a character with such an obvious and straightforward gameplan that is only made viable by her almost absurd damage and carry coupled with a nonsensical set of moves that don't function anything like they look like they would.

Noel has always been a bit of a weird character for me. I've played/dropped her constantly since CT because I always found some aspect of her design/combo's to eventually annoy me.

I can't really say anything too specific to her design as a character but she looks a lot more fun to play in the BBCP video's I've seen of her.

If only it was being released this summer. :/

Rhapsody

Banned
Her CP changes definitely make her look much more interesting. It's just too bad that she still has that random factor to her.

Creepy how this sounds so much like a Mahvel character.

My PS3 is ready to go anytime for those interested.

Rhapsody

Banned
Got to say, that she's one of the characters that make me most salty in BB. Getting hit by 2D, 4D, and j.4D makes me sad.
Other than that, all she really has are CH, 6B, 6A, or crouching opponents to get anything good going. Still salty though.

But yeah, I just really don't like how she's designed.

Rhapsody

Banned
Just think Noel as a move, and we're good to go!
I mean, take away her D button and what is she?
If the BBCP NA release is something like a month away after the JP release, I will be importing for sure.

CT was released within the same week, CS we got it a month after, Extend was around 2 months. We also don't know if Aksys is going to handle localization or if ASW's going to do it themselves like for Guilty Gear. Either way, like you, I'm probably going to import it even if it's a month apart.

RoeBear

But if you import it how would you get the preorder DLC. Also would need a Japanese PSN to redeem it if Terumi is DLC exclusive and not just a early unlock code. I'm thinking that Terumi will be like Mu-12 was for BBCS, unlocked after you complete story mode. who knows...

But if you import it how would you get the preorder DLC. Also would need a Japanese PSN to redeem it if Terumi is DLC exclusive and not just a early unlock code. I'm thinking that Terumi will be like Mu-12 was for BBCS, unlocked after you complete story mode. who knows...

I have an account for Japanese so I can just use it on there. Then use my NA copy on my main account.

Noi

You CAN just download the DLC and play it on your NA account...

RoeBear

Do sites that you import from actually give the preorder code though? You still have to make an account.

Anyone want to fight a bad Carl?

Do sites that you import from actually give the preorder code though? You still have to make an account.

Anyone want to fight a bad Carl?

Sites like play-asia will ship pre-order materials (I've used them before). Assuming it's an actual piece of paper or something it should be included in the case/packaging if that's what you want to know.

Rhapsody

Banned

Yes. Some places give you it like Play-Asia, but it's not a hundred percent reliable for the bonuses. Ami-Ami does a good job on securing bonuses for you and is a trusted site.

Oh god. I've completely lost everything I learned from CS (and P4:A).

I don't know what to do at any point during the match. I guess it doesn't help that I only know one really short combo.

Good matches though.

RoeBear

Oh god. I've completely lost everything I learned from CS (and P4:A).

I don't know what to do at any point during the match. I guess it doesn't help that I only know one really short combo.

Good matches though.

Yeah good games it seemed like towards the end you started to remember more stuff. I really need to start holding D down though I usually release it too much.

RoeBear

Good games Fugu. I have to go but those were some intense matches. I've never really used Relius' dp so well. Saved one of the matches cause there was a really cool exchange from both of us.

Fugu

Ggs. That's probably one of my first ten games ever against Relius; I don't know a thing about the matchup. I also need to play against Hazama more. He's tough to play against as Litchi, as throwing out the staff is basically useless and Itsuu is too dangerous.

Why do you burst Itsuu B every time? It converts for a lot, but not as much as Itsuu A. Also, Itsuu B can't be comboed if it hits in the air (most of the time, anyway).

RoeBear

Why do you burst Itsuu B every time? It converts for a lot, but not as much as Itsuu A. Also, Itsuu B can't be comboed if it hits in the air (most of the time, anyway).

I never burst in a smart way. Litchi frustrates me, I burst when I get frustrated. I wish I didn't but it's something that I'll hopefully get over by the time BBCP comes out.

Fugu

Gotta run; ggs, Rhapsody. You are a strange player: Great defense, no offense. If I didn't know any better, I'd think you played Tager.

Rhapsody

Banned
Gotta run; ggs, Rhapsody. You are a strange player: Great defense, no offense. If I didn't know any better, I'd think you played Tager.

GGs. BB's not my main game so I didn't know the matchup since I haven't fought Litchi since CS1 (and ended up cautious). I forgot Ragna combos have a slightly different timing on Litchi too. Me dropping confirms is just jitters against a better player, haha. I didn't do enough frame traps that's for sure, and I kept getting DPed whenever I did.

And I'm actually a Rachel main with Ragna as a sub. I usually use Rachel offline though since netplay bugs when I use her.

Thanks for going easy though lol, I haven't played it seriously since early CS. I'm starting to finally learn the matchup. I just need to know when I can start my offense on Litchi. No clue what was + and what could gatling.

Fugu

Yeah, it makes sense that Ragna is not your main. Your blocking was confusingly good. I needed to stop doing 5B 6B. You were punishing it almost every time.

Work on your hitconfirm, especially in the corner. You are getting like, half the damage that you should be and you're getting beat by IAD crossover j.2D, which is not particularly strong; that happens because you're standing there blocking me even though I'm the one in the corner. Your poking was pretty good, which makes sense if your main is Rachel. Again though, your gameplan suffers from the bad hitconfirms because you could be getting more carry than you are.

Litchi specific stuff:
- Don't backdash her DP. It will hit you anyway.
- Don't barrier her DP. It is very difficult to punish after a barrier as you will have to block both parts.
- Watch out for Riichi B tech chases against staffless Litchi. Very easy to block.

Rhapsody

Banned
Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. I still couldn't block your one overhead where Litchi kind of bounces off of the staff. You rarely used it, so I kept forgetting what it looked like, haha. And yeah, I'll keep note of j.2D. I figured it wasn't something that I should be getting hit by too often.

Yeah good games it seemed like towards the end you started to remember more stuff. I really need to start holding D down though I usually release it too much.

Yeah, I remembered a bit but without combo's and knowing what to use for poking/anti-air/etc I'm still severely limited in what I can do.

Fugu

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. I still couldn't block your one overhead where Litchi kind of bounces off of the staff. You rarely used it, so I kept forgetting what it looked like, haha. And yeah, I'll keep note of j.2D. I figured it wasn't something that I should be getting hit by too often.
I use 4D (the overhead) pretty sparingly because it's not comboable unless you hit them in the corner or want to burn meter to deal like, 2k. You also lose the staff and it's unsafe. It's tough to block for several reasons though, the biggest being that basically any staff normal can go into it.

RoeBear

Good matches this morning Fugu. I think it's best when you do that one super to just spend the meter and do the push back. I'd much rather take the 500 damage than eat a 4k combo. It's just too hard for me to see the mix up with that thing twirling around.

Fugu

Ggs RoeBear. Still bursting Itsuu B every time, lol. I just want to practice my combos man. In general, you do a lot of jump > late airdash + air attacks, which is fine, but you do it so much that it's not hard to predict any more. Do some empty jumps sometimes, or try approaching on the ground more.

Relius vs. Litchi: You are suuuuuper reliant on jumpins as Relius. Any character with a head invulnerable AA will eat this for breakfast; I'm not sure if you're just doing this because I'm playing as Litchi (who does not have one) or if you do it against everyone but this is a very very bad habit that I know all about as it is (was?) also one of my habits. AAing as Litchi is rather difficult and takes more preparation than other characters so you'll get away with it to a certain degree against her but Ragna or Lambda can shut this down for basically no risk. You are also not using your overhead at all, nor do you seem to be abusing your oki super nearly as much as you should be. That super is gold, as it gives you basically a free hit and it knocks them into the corner to boot. Your corner game is also a little wonky and I get out a lot easier than I should be. Meaty overhead is not a good idea, by the way.

Hazama vs. Litchi: This matchup is often described as Litchi's most difficult, and it's partially because of chains and Hazama's general neutral dominance over Litchi. You seem to be doing fine at that part. What I don't get is that you insist on using houtenjin during combos. Never ever ever ever ever ever do this against Litchi unless it's going to win you the round. The primary reason that the Litchi-Hazama matchup is so tough for Litchi is that houtenjin shuts down her pressure completely and it confirms for eight billion damage; merely having 50 heat is enough to force Litchi into doing dumb and ineffective pressure because almost all of her options for extending pressure and getting hits are vulnerable to it. It is better to sit on 50+ heat simply to provide the THREAT of houtenjin than it is to use it in the middle of a combo (again, the obvious exception being if doing so will get you the win). Your actual pressure is also pretty ineffective (you always go low > high and Hazama's stance isn't safe enough to experiment with) but again, in the Litchi-Hazama matchup, it's actually sort of irrelevant as you can just fish for hits.

Lambda vs. Litchi: Treat ryuusiou as functioning the same as houtenjin does in Hazama vs. Litchi: If I have 50 heat, you can't do anything unsafe. Not only does it do more than 2k by itself, but it confirms into 5k + corner carry on counterhit, which spells trouble for you. Also, don't mash 5C for oki. It is very weak; I know you can't cancel it in time to block and punish a DP. You know you can't cancel it in time to block and punish a DP. Therefore, any character with a DP will just DP it every single time unless you RC it. I don't know what the official stance is on this but I think this matchup is tough for Lambda; however, that may be because I've played it a lot and I know it pretty well.

Jin: If you're going to super counter thirteen orphans, do it at the beginning. You'll go right through it and it'll take you out of the corner; in addition, if you're lucky (or you quick teched), you'll also catch Litchi at the end of the animation and get the hit. You SHOULD super counter thirteen orphans, by the way.

EDIT: I assume you're referring to Daisharin. If you think it's hard to block now, look up some CS1 Litchi videos.

Top Bottom