• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat

What DO you guys play if you aren't playing Extend then?
We don't play because the game is ass and the vast majority of the players have left for greener pastures. I will probably play again when the next revision hits, though.

For whomever asked about why people don't play any more, the simple answer is that the game is fair but dull which combined poorly with ASW leaving it high and dry by announcing yet another revision with no console date. No one wants to play an outdated fighter, and even less people want to play an outdated fighter that's not particularly good.
They really are taking their sweet time.

cj_iwakura

Extend is my primary fighting game, I haven't gotten into anything since then, but I dabble in 3SO and SSFIV on occasion(I don't own AE, so I can't do much with the latter).

Fugu

That's what i want to do, but its between this and skullgirls so I was already on the fence. It really doesn't bother me that its outdated since I can't play the new version so its basically out of site out of mind. Guess i'll continue to watch some vids to see if i want it.
Keep in mind that, when you do watch these videos, almost none of the players you'll be seeing will be people who are still playing the game. The American/European side has basically abandoned the game and the Japanese players will be playing the current revision.

What DO you guys play if you aren't playing Extend then?

They really are taking their sweet time.
I've been playing Quake for the past three years and I love it. I'll probably play the newest revision, though.

By the by, should I buy Skullgirls if BB's the only fighter I'm competitively good at?

You should buy Skullgirls if

• You've tried the demo and liked it.
  • You like MvC2 and want to play a game that isn't a broken mess.
  • You like the characters/lore/story/whatever.
  • Uhhh . . .

I don't know. Just try it. If you like it, buy it.

It's not anything like BB though, if that's what you're asking.

cj_iwakura

You should buy Skullgirls if

• You've tried the demo and liked it.
  • You like MvC2 and want to play a game that isn't a broken mess.
  • You like the characters/lore/story/whatever.
  • Uhhh . . .

I don't know. Just try it. If you like it, buy it.

It's not anything like BB though, if that's what you're asking.

1 and 3 are true.

I HATE MvC2.

Onemic

ggs roebear

Those sessions made me realize that Valkenhayn is fucking AWESOME. Thanks, Q, for recommending him for me. I definitely see the slayer influence, dude can do whatever the hell he wants with his human/wolf form. Now I just need to go through the tutorial section with him because I didn't know what the hell I was doing when I was using him.

Maybe I'll actually start playing Extend after all.

ggs roebear

Those sessions made me realize that Valkenhayn is fucking AWESOME. Thanks, Q, for recommending him for me. I definitely see the slayer influence, dude can do whatever the hell he wants with his human/wolf form. Now I just need to go through the tutorial section with him because I didn't know what the hell I was doing when I was using him.

Maybe I'll actually start playing Extend after all.

If you want, I can play some matches. I used to main Valk in CS1 so my combos are a bit outdated but if you want the basics, we can play some mirror matches.

antibolo

Banned
1 and 3 are true.

I HATE MvC2.

Skullgirls feels a lot like the Marvel games. I couldn't get into it because of that. And also the 6 button layout (feels very obsolete in this era of any non-SF being 3 or 4 buttons) and how many of the special moves are mapped to a specific button instead of "any punch" or "any kick", which makes finding and/or memorizing them needlessly complicated.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Skullgirls feels a lot like the Marvel games. I couldn't get into it because of that. And also the 6 button layout (feels very obsolete in this era of any non-SF being 3 or 4 buttons) and how many of the special moves are mapped to a specific button instead of "any punch" or "any kick", which makes finding and/or memorizing them needlessly complicated.
Specific buttons corresponding to specific versions of a movie is fairly universal in some form or another. Sometimes it goes beyond speed or height and changes the nature of the move.

Speaking of which, specific button input special moves are really common in Blazblue.

Noi

Pre-orders are up for the CP limited edition box. Looking at the screenshots for it though...

hvL6fgu.jpg

Well, looks like that character poll was for for more than just listing every character from all the different BB media.

Onemic

Had to drop it unfortunately. Maybe tomorrow.

(Fugu wasn't answering either. :( )

:(

I guess I got a question for anyone that uses Hellsing then. are there any good pressure options following a 5B poke? The dustloop wiki keeps talking about how its a go to starter and such a great normal, yet when I was watching a few tourney matches I never see Hellsing players use 5B as a poke/starter at all except as a combo filler, gatlinged from a previous normal, or as a punish. Other than that they stick to 2A and sometimes even 5A as a pressure starter, pretty much omitting using 5B even as a basic poke and instead relying entirely on wolf mode to get in close and use his human forms 2A/5A for pressure. Is 5B not that good of a way to start pressure or something? Is it just a poke that has no good followups on block?

I can probably play for a little... updating though

Saw this too late :(

:(

I guess I got a question for anyone that uses Hellsing then. are there any good pressure options following a 5B poke? The dustloop wiki keeps talking about how its a go to starter and such a great normal, yet when I was watching a few tourney matches I never see Hellsing players use 5B as a poke/starter at all except as a combo filler, gatlinged from a previous normal, or as a punish. Other than that they stick to 2A and sometimes even 5A as a pressure starter, pretty much omitting using 5B even as a basic poke and instead relying entirely on wolf mode to get in close and use his human forms 2A/5A for pressure. Is 5B not that good of a way to start pressure or something? Is it just a poke that has no good followups on block?

No, his pressure options are slim from ANYTHING (ie: pretty short pressure). You usually want to save his meter for RCs for safe pressure or to extend combos. I believe 5B, 5C, 236A is relatively safe... although I could be wrong. You don't want to hang around as human form too long anyway. His wolf form>>>human form.

From 5B starter, it used to be 5B, 5C, 236A, RC, 6B, 236C, wolf combo. Not sure if it's still the same.

Saw this too late :(

I hung around for like 5 mins then left to hang out with gf instead.

Onemic

No, his pressure options are slim from ANYTHING (ie: pretty short pressure). You usually want to save his meter for RCs for safe pressure or to extend combos. I believe 5B, 5C, 236A is relatively safe... although I could be wrong. You don't want to hang around as human form too long anyway. His wolf form>>>human form.

From 5B starter, it used to be 5B, 5C, 236A, RC, 6B, 236C, wolf combo. Not sure if it's still the same.

I hung around for like 5 mins then left to hang out with gf instead.

So I shouldn't be trying to play footsies with his 5B/5C then? Thanks a lot Hellsing wiki/BBEX Hellsing tutorial >:{

does 5B, 5C, 236A, wolf form, continue pressure also work?

So I shouldn't be trying to play footsies with his 5B/5C then? Thanks a lot Hellsing wiki/BBEX Hellsing tutorial >:{

does 5B, 5C, 236A, wolf form, continue pressure also work?

5B is long reach so you should still be poking with it. 5C starter is great if you can hit a counter hit since it will link into 236C on counter hit.

5B, 5C, 236A will lead into a pseudo reset but if you want to continue the combo, you have to RC.

You REALLY don't want to be in human form for too long though. Limited mobility and pretty bad midscreen combos if you don't have an RC.

antibolo

Banned
Specific buttons corresponding to specific versions of a movie is fairly universal in some form or another. Sometimes it goes beyond speed or height and changes the nature of the move.

Speaking of which, specific button input special moves are really common in Blazblue.

The majority of special move buttons in BlazBlue obey a certain logic. Ragna's quarter circle backwards A special makes sense because it's a punching move, and Ragna's punches are mostly A attacks. Same thing with the same motion with B (kick), and his shoryuken-style move is either C or D for normal weapon and Drive-enhanced weapon respectively. And all his supers use D because they're all themed around his Drive. And his Astral Heat uses C because his weapon transforms, making it the main focus of the move.

In Skullgirls a special move may for instance require say a medium punch. Not any punch, just medium punch. This is what I hate. In Street Fighter any special move (with some *extremely rare* exceptions) will either work with any punch, or any kick. No need to memorize specific ones. But in Skullgirls they somehow messed this up, for seemingly no reason.

LegatoB

In Skullgirls a special move may for instance require say a medium punch. Not any punch, just medium punch. This is what I hate. In Street Fighter any special move (with some *extremely rare* exceptions) will either work with any punch, or any kick. No need to memorize specific ones. But in Skullgirls they somehow messed this up, for seemingly no reason.
I don't follow you here, unless you're exclusively thinking of Cerebella's 623+P moves, or if you have a problem with different button versions of each move have dramatically different uses, such as Parasoul's pillars/soldier calls. This is an extremely common concept in Capcom games, and which "strength" of punch or kick you use to activate a move makes a huge difference in what you'll actually use the move for. Even if it's as "subtle" as the speed at which the fireball Ryu throws travels across the screen.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The majority of special move buttons in BlazBlue obey a certain logic. Ragna's quarter circle backwards A special makes sense because it's a punching move, and Ragna's punches are mostly A attacks. Same thing with the same motion with B (kick), and his shoryuken-style move is either C or D for normal weapon and Drive-enhanced weapon respectively. And all his supers use D because they're all themed around his Drive. And his Astral Heat uses C because his weapon transforms, making it the main focus of the move.
But why not D since his weapon is enhanced? Why is Platinum's astral C instead of D even though she uses her wand, or better yet why is her command grab D?

Even putting moves like C. Viper's thunder knuckle or Guy/El Fuerte's run aside, most of the time in Street Fighter you want a specific version of a move, either to make a combo work or for the specific situation you're in. Like in SF4, Akuma wants lk tatsu off a c mk, Chun-Li wants mk SBK after c hp, Rufus usually wants to do lk after hitting messiah kick, T. Hawk wants lp typhoon for oki, Rose can stock up on meter with lp reflect, M. Bison's corner pressure with lk lk lk scissors used to be brutal, and so on. You're going to have to learn these specific buttons anyway if you're going to actually play, to say nothing of learning all of a character's normal moves.

Besides, looking through the Skullgirls move list, you basically just have Cerebella's run special, her dp, Peacock's pistol and throw specials, and Ms. Fortune's head specials (all with HP). That's it.

Onemic

For Valkenhayn I'm currently learning:

(2A) > 5B > 5C > 236A > RC > 2C > 6B > 5C > 236C > 9D > w[j.a(aa) > j.236A > j.236B > 4C/5C > j.B > j.B > 5B j.aaa > j.DC

and

w[5A > 5B > j.AAA > j.236A > j.236B > 4C > j.B > j.B > 5B] > j.B > j.B > j.C

What other bnb combos should I attempt to learn for Hellsing to get started? I'm assuming his throw combo and something else?

For Valkenhayn I'm currently learning:

(2A) > 5B > 5C > 236A > RC > 2C > 6B > 5C > 236C > 9D > w[j.a(aa) > j.236A > j.236B > 4C/5C > j.B > j.B > 5B j.aaa > j.DC

and

w[5A > 5B > j.AAA > j.236A > j.236B > 4C > j.B > j.B > 5B] > j.B > j.B > j.C

What other bnb combos should I attempt to learn for Hellsing to get started? I'm assuming his throw combo and something else?

That looks fine. I forgot about the 5C after the 6B. You have some time now to play?

RoeBear

Does anyone play Carl and know when to release the doll on certain combos. Not sure why I'm trying to learn him so late but I want to.

Solune

Does anyone play Carl and know when to release the doll on certain combos. Not sure why I'm trying to learn him so late but I want to.

Honestly, doing combos isn't as difficult as setting them up in neutral first. Did you try his challenge combos? I found them very helpful and watching the CPU do it first gives you a good idea.

Busaiku

1 of my goals in the next few months is to get through the story in this franchise.

I never played any other games before Extend, so what's the order I should go in?

Top Bottom