• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleach Manga |OT| Return of the King

Sometimes I wonder how much of this is on Kubo's editors?

The inconsistent pacing in the Blood War arc suggests to me that Kubo's idea was for a much longer arc , and that the editors have at times put pressure on him to get things moving and then eased off, which would explain why the arcs zigzagged back and forward on speed (sometimes feeling rushed, sometimes feeling decompressed).

It probably doesn't help that Kubo's natural approach is rather long: he took 15 years to do an Introduction , 3 major Arcs (Soul Society/Winter War/Blood War), and 2 short arcs (Pendulum / Fullbringers)

The inconsistent pacing in the Blood War arc suggests to me that Kubo's idea was for a much longer arc , and that the editors have at times put pressure on him to get things moving and then eased off, which would explain why the arcs zigzagged back and forward on speed (sometimes feeling rushed, sometimes feeling decompressed).

It probably doesn't help that Kubo's natural approach is rather long: he took 15 years to do an Introduction , 3 major Arcs (Soul Society/Winter War/Blood War), and 2 short arcs (Pendulum / Fullbringers)

In hindsight I just hate that too many characters were introduced into this series. Like, Naruto had the exact same problem, but Kishimoto at least held off on most of them until the final arc at least.

So how many Shikai/Bankai did we not get to see (the abilities of) ? We haven't seen Shinji's IIRC or Jushiro's . Tessai may or may not ?

Never got to see Isane's Shikai either.

Let's see...

Shinji
Ukitake
Love
Isshin
Aizen
Yoruichi
Royal Guards sans Ichibei
Hisagi and Yumachika are heavily impiled to have achieved Bankai
Kubo has also implied that he had an idea of Kira's Bankai as well

So about 13 folks who have Bankai that we didn't see.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
FWIW, it's never been confirmed that Aizen ever mastered his bankai, whatever it would be.

It's a requirement to obtain captain rank (sans exceptions like Kenpachi), but he faked his via hypnosis when he applied for the position.

SoulUnison

Banned
That was the most fan service bullshit i ever seen

"Electric Cat Shunko" was so lame and pandering it made me realize I still had levels of disappointment I could experience with Bleach.

This is so much more painful than riding out Naruto was.

I just have this morbid need to stay on the train until it reaches the final stop, I guess.

Let's see...

...Shinji...

So about 13 folks who have Bankai that we didn't see.

This hurts so badly.

Waited literally years for Shinji, and to a lesser extent, many of the VIzoreds, to have a moment to shine, and Fake Karakura Town was mostly them styling on generic enemies (so many Meno Grande) then jobbing, (Mashiro's mask broke suddenly, why?) embarrassing themselves (why is Hiyori considered strong/mature enough to be a Vice-Captain?) and being completely inconsequential. Every time since then Shinji's shown up he's been embarrassed, and he's supposed to be a Captian-class Reaper who's also had decades and decades to master his Hollowfication.

He *should* be one of the closest things there is to another Ichigo, just on sheer merit, but he keeps getting swatted down like a fly.

I think Kubo showed way more of his hand than he meant to when he talked about how he creates new characters whenever he feels "bored" in interviews years ago.
The Vizoreds came out of nowhere because Kubo wasn't feeling the Soul Society right then, and then he totally dropped the Vizoreds for the Fullbringers as the "mysterious fringe group."
But then THEY turned out horribly and all these plot threads had still been left up in the air so everybody still has to contribute *somehow* to not be brazenly absent.

FWIW, it's never been confirmed that Aizen ever mastered his bankai, whatever it would be.

It's a requirement to obtain captain rank (sans exceptions like Kenpachi), but he faked his via hypnosis when he applied for the position.

I suspect he has because one of the reasons he was interested in Hollowification was that he felt he'd reached his limits as a Soul Reaper, which wouldn't make sense without attaining Bankai but you're right that there's no definite proof.

This hurts so badly.

Waited literally years for Shinji, and to a lesser extent, many of the VIzoreds, to have a moment to shine, and Fake Karakura Town was mostly them styling on generic enemies (so many Meno Grande) then jobbing, (Mashiro's mask broke suddenly, why?) embarrassing themselves (why is Hiyori considered strong/mature enough to be a Vice-Captain?) and being completely inconsequential. Every time since then Shinji's shown up he's been embarrassed, and he's supposed to be a Captian-class Reaper who's also had decades and decades to master his Hollowfication.

He *should* be one of the closest things there is to another Ichigo, just on sheer merit, but he keeps getting swatted down like a fly.

I think Kubo showed way more of his hand than he meant to when he talked about how he creates new characters whenever he feels "bored" in interviews years ago.
The Vizoreds came out of nowhere because Kubo wasn't feeling the Soul Society right then, and then he totally dropped the Vizoreds for the Fullbringers as the "mysterious fringe group."
But then THEY turned out horribly and all these plot threads had still been left up in the air so everybody still has to contribute *somehow* to not be brazenly absent.
The Visored are my favourite group in Bleach so it's horrible to see how Kubo treated them.

I also feel the one's who previously held the position of Lieutenant should have had more than enough time to master their Bankai between the Turn Back the Pendulum arc and the Arrancar arc.

Kensei and Rose's deaths still offend me.

7Ctp9Zd.gif

So badass. So misused.

I have similar grievances about Kubo's treatment of the Royal Guard.

The Visored are my favourite group in Bleach so it's horrible to see how Kubo treated them.

I also feel the one's who previously held the position of Lieutenant should have had more than enough time to master their Bankai between the Turn Back the Pendulum arc and the Arrancar arc.

Kensei and Rose's deaths still offend me.

7Ctp9Zd.gif

So badass. So misused.

I have similar grievances about Kubo's treatment of the Royal Guard.

Man they were so badass. Shinji was actually one of my favorite character, until he fell victim to the Kubo "Here's exactly how my power works" syndrome, and then they all jobbed and were forgotten

What's so amazing about the Visored in this arc is that Kubo had set it up so that Hollow Reiatsu was poisonous to Quincy, yet, for some reason, didn't show any of the Visored that became Captains again use their Hollow abilities against the Quincy. They should have been a key asset for S.S. in the first part of the war.

Eusis

What's so amazing about the Visored in this arc is that Kubo had set it up so that Hollow Reiatsu was poisonous to Quincy, yet, for some reason, didn't show any of the Visored that became Captains again use their Hollow abilities against the Quincy. They should have been a key asset for S.S. in the first part of the war.
I can see Yhwach being an exception (we'll see how the next few chapters go now that he ate Ichigo's hollow power) but for the rank and file it should have been a bigger deal, yeah.

Astral

I won't believe Kensei and Rose are actually dead until they actually say it. I thought Kira was dead for the longest and then bam we have zombie mecha Kira. And damn I kinda miss the anime.

MISERY IS WAITING AT THE GATES OF ARMAGEDDON

I can see Yhwach being an exception (we'll see how the next few chapters go now that he ate Ichigo's hollow power) but for the rank and file it should have been a bigger deal, yeah.

Ywhach dies due to reiatsu poisoning right before Aizen releases his bankai.

End of series.

I KNOW RIGHT?

I was expecting Rose to activate his hollowfication during his battle with... that one guy... but nope. He Kubo'd himself into getting a star sized hole in body. A mess.

I KNOW RIGHT?

I was expecting Rose to activate his hollowfication during his battle with... that one guy... but nope. He Kubo'd himself into getting a star sized hole in body. A mess.

To be fair we already knew that external Hollow energy doesn't bother them much (Opie wore Allon's reietsu without problems ) and they conquered Hueco Mundo, so just having Hollow spiritual energy is insufficient, you need to cause them to internalize it.

Ray Down

Banned
From Yonkou:

Renji releases bankai, but Yhwach breaks it.
Aizen takes the opportunity to unleash his attack, though Yhwach mocks him for siding with Ichigo against a common enemy.
Aizen uses way of destruction 99. Ryuutenmetsu (Five dragons of heavenly destruction?). Reiatsu in the form of dragons attack Yhwach but he shrugs it off and closes in on Aizen, delivering a punch to the gut that sends Aizen flying.
Then Ichigo attacks from behind.
Yhwach: I see it all.
Then he breaks Zangetsu completely and fires an arrow blows a large hole through Ichigo's abdomen and arm.
Yhwach: Farewell Ichigo, perish together with Soul Society.
Ichigo?: I see, so you're seeing Kurosaki Ichigo.
Ichigo takes the form of Aizen and Yhwach is caught by surprise by the real Ichigo, who fires a getsuga that blows him away.
The Almighty relies on sensory input, it makes sense that if you obstruct the sensory organ it'll fail.

1. Kyouka Suigetsu is not a bankai, Yhwach remarked that Aizen's kyouka suigetsu had wilted before he broke it and landed that punch.

2. The key to victory against Yhwach is to target his eyes. Take out his eyes and his ability is useless. Unless he can regen the eyes, in which case you'll just piss him off.

3. Ichigo still has a lot of power left in him and Yhwach has good reason to be cautious of Zangetsu.

Aizen's arm is left dangling from his body.

HAHAHAHA, add another point to the counter.

Syntsui

From Yonkou:

Aizen takes the opportunity to unleash his attack, though Yhwach mocks him for siding with Ichigo against a common enemy.
Aizen uses way of destruction 99. Ryuutenmetsu (Five dragons of heavenly destruction?). Reiatsu in the form of dragons attack Yhwach but he shrugs it off and closes in on Aizen, delivering a punch to the gut that sends Aizen flying.
Then he breaks Zangetsu completely and fires an arrow blows a large hole through Ichigo's abdomen and arm.
Ichigo takes the form of Aizen and Yhwach is caught by surprise by the real Ichigo, who fires a getsuga that blows him away.
The Almighty relies on sensory input, it makes sense that if you obstruct the sensory organ it'll fail.

1. Kyouka Suigetsu is not a bankai, Yhwach remarked that Aizen's kyouka suigetsu had wilted before he broke it and landed that punch.

2. The key to victory against Yhwach is to target his eyes. Take out his eyes and his ability is useless. Unless he can regen the eyes, in which case you'll just piss him off.

3. Ichigo still has a lot of power left in him and Yhwach has good reason to be cautious of Zangetsu.

This is actually really good.

BY2K

Membero Americo
From Yonkou:

Aizen actually doing something!

Welfare

From Yonkou:

Sounds like Bleach.

At least Aizen is doing something.

MartyStu

All this actually sounds much tighter than usual. The end must indeed be nigh.

The anime made from this may actually be good.

Also:
Aizen was destined for fodder status after Ichigo whupped him way back then. In raw power, current Ichigo is almost certainly stronger than him.

Serrato

Also:
Aizen was destined for fodder status after Ichigo whupped him way back then. In raw power, current Ichigo is almost certainly stronger than him.

But Ichigo has only been beaten all the time since the start of the Arc. I'm still waiting Kubo.

scarlet

Oh wow, I've been reading this for more than a decade for this?

And I actually still like it until "The end" few chapters ago.

Radec

Holy fuck Aizen.

I'm guessing all work aside from Ichigo's hit was done by Aizen alone.

Damn you Kubo for not using this one last time:

"Since when were you under the impression... "

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Fucking bleach man, lol.. Fuck

Getsuga Tenshou has surpassed the rasengan in lameness by a country mile.

Lame doesn't even begin to describe it lol..

Hystzen

Aizen not being a full cunt for once is nice he was always better like that just odd comment or smirk then full blown monologues about how great he is.

Renji continues get shafted hard bro of bros

Syntsui

Is there any interview where Kubo addresses his fetish for arms being ripped off? Anyway, this chapter was great, Aizen is one of the best characters ever made.

Linkark07

Banned
We dont need an almighty power to see the future: Yhwach will return but Ishida will appear and use that arrow for kill him once and for all.

Oh, and Aizen becomes the new Soul King. His slogan will be:
Make Soul Society great again.

qcf x2

Dope chapter. Very grim, as well. Forget targeting the eyes, if anybody was in denial about Aizen being able to use kyouka suigetsu, open your future-seeing eyes to the truth. Yhwach will clearly survive this attack, though he'll be very angry and start actually going all out. Since he's already been exposed to KS, Kubo could wrap this one up without Ichigo/Ishida if he actually wanted to. And Aizen being immortal makes him taking one for the team make sense, since he'll heal up anyway. I wonder if he made some pact somewhere with Ichigo, like hey man choose who you want to be soul king: Yhwach or me? Ok, me? Good choice.

Wait a sec, .... Aizen.

So, Ichigo's rebroken bankai wasn't actually rebroken, that was a Kubo Inception troll because the "crack" was actually on Aizen's sword? That's why Yhwach said he intended to break it but it merely cracked? Well done, Kubo. Well done. Now kindly wrap this up with some more high level attacks and a well-placed silver arrow.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What if Aizen was actually pretending to be Ichigo pretending to not be Ichigo, and the Ichigo that got impaled was Momo?

Mr Git

What if Aizen was actually pretending to be Ichigo pretending to not be Ichigo, and the Ichigo that got impaled was Momo?

Not again. Hitsugaya grows another 2 foot.

I liked this chapter, just because of Aizen. Still just an excellent villain. Looking forward to him revealing himself the series' true hero as he knew what would happen to the Soul King and wanted to get a preemptive strike on Ywach.

Astral

It's kinda funny to watch Yhwach be fooled so easily. Halfway through I could tell it was an illusion. I swear though, if that killed Aizen I'm gonna be so fucking pissed. What does Ichigo's Bankai even do? He's done nothing but have it broken and swing it around. Oh and Getsuga Tenshou.

Top Bottom