• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloated, PR paste-bin |OT|s are a plague on these boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kikujiro

ShockingAlberto said:
Like you're crying about this?

Am I missing something? Where he's crying about this?

Or this is just another holier-than-thou post of yours. I guess it's the latter.

randomkid said:
Ignore the terrible logic. He's basically right in this case. Do you remember the people who complained in the Uncharted thread before it changed? Do you remember the many many people who complained in the Bayonetta thread?

There is a sizable constituency for the bloat on this message board. People will complain if things change.
Fuck those people. They have terrible taste and should be ignored so they'll go away.

pakkit

Banned
randomkid said:
There is a sizable constituency for the bloat on this message board. People will complain if things change.
Just because people complain about change doesn't mean it shouldn't be enacted. If change benefits the users as a whole, we can that "progress."

jax (old)

Banned
wow. OP nailed it. I personally don't get why a lot of OT have developed into these as he calls them PR paste-bins but they have.

flyinpiranha said:
How is this crying? I'm not advocating any change or making a thread about stupid shit that could be avoidable. I see what point you are trying to make and I guess that just supports mine.
It's not crying, actually. It was more to point out that dismissing any reasoning as "crying" or "bitching" if it's counter to your view is a damn fool's way of arguing. And you're not a damn fool, you're just dishonest.

And I don't see the OP advocating any change aside from asking people to show some restraint. Would you like to quote me where he said that?

You disagree with people that these are not masturbatory, embarrassing PR wanks. That's fine. You can disagree all you want. But you started throwing around the childish attacks either because you're incapable of articulating your point or simply choose not to.

Although we can be generous and say it's the first one while pretending to be the second.

Radec

Sullichin said:
I don't understand why the people making the OTs put so much work into the first post, seems like a total waste of time if you're not getting paid for it. Some of them have a ton of custom made images and are filled with information.
Are you new on the internet?

there are tons of free stuff on it that people made without any form of payment or even ads.

randomkid

pakkit said:
Just because people complain about change doesn't mean it shouldn't be enacted. If change benefits the users as a whole, we can that "progress."

Sure, sure, I'm just statin' the facts.

Yeef

randomkid said:
Ignore the terrible logic. He's basically right in this case. Do you remember the people who complained in the Uncharted thread before it changed? Do you remember the many many people who complained in the Bayonetta thread?

Assuming you mean the Uncharted 3 thread, back when it first went up it was just a single image that was just a crappy doodle. It was pretty obviously a placeholder, but if it weren't I'd hardly call wanting more information people requesting bloat. Having 0 information is just as bad as having information overload.

Kikujiro said:
Am I missing something? Where he's crying about this?

Or this is just another holier-than-thou post of yours. I guess it's the latter.
I don't actually know who you are so, uh, thanks for noticing that any of my posts have a theme? I guess?

I explained my reasoning in a subsequent post but I am guessing you're going to ignore that because it's the internet and you can choose not to respond to something if it embarrasses you, just as easily as you can say something if it does.

Some might even call that discussion!

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Boney said:
Is that AC op an inside joke or something?

No idea, tried to load it a few times now, gave up after my phone started making a whining noise and started heating up.

In summary, OTs should be:

Not too wide, image-wise (even my own I thought was pushing it with 900px-wide images...). This prevents scrolling on somewhat smaller resolutions for things like laptops and tablets (phones should be excluded because, well, fuck em. I don't use my goddamned phone as my primary browser).​

Able to fit into a single post. If you cannot fit all of the information you feel is needed for that game into a single post, consider what isn't pertinent and cut some fat.​

A combination of text and images (if images are needed), but not text in images. That shit is awful. And ugly.​

Mindful of the bandwidth it takes to load content in the first post. Just because you have FIOS or something similar in speed doesn't mean everyone does, nor does it mean you should not care. We (GAF) will bitch and moan about ISP bandwidth caps all day regarding things like Steam/PSN/XBLA and buying music and movies, but we cannot do each other the favor of not making it take several dozen MB in size just to load a single thread of your own making?​

Clearly a lot of us don't see the point in a goddamned huge OT that encompasses multiple games in a series when you can easily just put the necessary information for that particular game and link to the previous OTs or other sources of more in-depth information.

I like Metal Gear. I even like MGS4. I think that OT is a work of art. But it's also just too goddamned much. That ACR OT goes above and beyond to not make me want to read what could potentially make me want to play it.

This is all my opinion of course, with some summary of very good points made in this very thread.

FStop7

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
So in other words, your post is, in order;
u mad and u jelly

haters gonna hate

deal with it

The OP refers to people as shills and claims that large OTs are a "plague". A fucking plague, as in a disease that kills thousands of people. One more time - he likens posts on the Internet about video games to diseases.

How can one respond to such ridiculousness with anything other than something ridiculous?

TylerD

FINALBOSS said:
Something a user does out of the goodness of their heart AND FREE for your satisfaction, and you have the balls to whine and bitch because it's not concise enough for you? Get real dude.

What is even better are the posters that point out when things are wrong or something was forgotten in the mega OP. You forgot to include the Uzbekistan special edition!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Haha, that AC OT is disgusting.

I'm so glad the rules have changed and these threads will no longer litter the gaming board after the first month.

hikarutilmitt said:

Not too wide, image-wise (even my own I thought was pushing it with 900px-wide images...). This prevents scrolling on somewhat smaller resolutions for things like laptops and tablets (phones should be excluded because, well, fuck em. I don't use my goddamned phone as my primary browser).​

Able to fit into a single post. If you cannot fit all of the information you feel is needed for that game into a single post, consider what isn't pertinent and cut some fat.​

A combination of text and images (if images are needed), but not text in images. That shit is awful. And ugly.​

Mindful of the bandwidth it takes to load content in the first post. Just because you have FIOS or something similar in speed doesn't mean everyone does, nor does it mean you should not care. We (GAF) will bitch and moan about ISP bandwidth caps all day regarding things like Steam/PSN/XBLA and buying music and movies, but we cannot do each other the favor of not making it take several dozen MB in size just to load a single thread of your own making?​

Clearly a lot of us don't see the point in a goddamned huge OT that encompasses multiple games in a series when you can easily just put the necessary information for that particular game and link to the previous OTs or other sources of more in-depth information.

I like Metal Gear. I even like MGS4. I think that OT is a work of art. But it's also just too goddamned much. That ACR OT goes above and beyond to not make me want to read what could potentially make me want to play it.

This is all my opinion of course, with some summary of very good points made in this very thread.
I don't disagree with any of this.

But my issue with OTs is greater than simply structure. They're sales pitches. Maybe it became that way, maybe it's always been that way, but it's goddamn cringe-worthy all the same.

Until people can get past the idea that an official thread is to sell people on a game, rather than set the tone for the discussion (though the two likely go hand-in-hand for most), they're always going to come off as shill-like and PR-invoking servicing of a game no one involved has actually played.

notworksafe

FStop7 said:
The OP refers to people as shills and claims that large OTs are a "plague". A fucking plague, as in a disease that kills thousands of people. One more time - he likens posts on the Internet about video games to diseases.

How can one respond to such ridiculousness with anything other than something ridiculous?
Plague has more than one meaning. It can also mean something that is troubling, annoying, etc. It doesn't always have to mean disease.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
hikarutilmitt said:

I like everything but the "Has to fit one post" thing. If the guy wants to make 50 posts to fit his super ultra mega OP, fine. I just really hate text in images. And I don't like how long some of those image intense topics can take to load.

ShockingAlberto said:
It's not crying, actually. It was more to point out that dismissing any reasoning as "crying" or "bitching" if it's counter to your view is a damn fool's way of arguing. And you're not a damn fool, you're just dishonest.

And I don't see the OP advocating any change aside from asking people to show some restraint. Would you like to quote me where he said that?

You disagree with people that these are not masturbatory, embarrassing PR wanks. That's fine. You can disagree all you want. But you started throwing around the childish attacks either because you're incapable of articulating your point or simply choose not to.

Although we can be generous and say it's the first one while pretending to be the second.

Go back and read my posts. So far I've been called a coward and to fuck off because I said "people will bitch about anything" in a nutshell.

Oh, and now you're insulting my intelligence with not being able to create decent argument because there is no need for one. If you don't like those OT's, don't click on them.

I don't understand why people would complain about something so easily avoidable. Especially when the first page of an OT is a week before the game is out and are usually "can't wait" posts.

Restraint would be change. Change is what I wouldn't want. By "restraining" to do something the user would have normally when creating the OT, that is change.

Divvy said:
Haha oh man, that asscreed OT is ridiculous. Wow, I hope someone got paid for that.

i agree it was ridiculous. The third post down disagrees with us though..

"Mother of God.

Amazing OP. The best one I've seen since I'm on GAF.
Almost makes me want to buy the game."

FStop7 said:

4. any cause of trouble, annoyance, or vexation: Uninvited guests are a plague.

verb (used with object)
5. to trouble, annoy, or torment in any manner: The question of his future plagues him with doubt.

6. to annoy, bother, or pester: Ants plagued the picnickers.

JJD

EmCeeGramr said:
The point of an OT is to give concise information about the game:

That's just your opinion. Don't act like it's a fact. As a gamer I appreciated all the info put on Revelations OT. For anyone trying to understand the series story that OT is more clear and easy to understand than any of the past 3 games. As I said, I played then all and there was a lot of stuff I didn't understand. I do now.

Most people seem to LIKE concise yet informative threads.

Are you really trying to pass conjecture as fact again? People CAN like anything, it doesn't stop then from having preferences. You like your OTs short and concise, I prefer mine in depth and informative.

This whole "BUT THEY'LL BITCH ABOUT IT ANYWAY" is an illogical and ignorant attempt to make everyone who disagrees with you into some kind of collective hypocritical hive mind.

It's probably as illogical, ignorant and stupid as calling an OT bloated and paste-bin just because you didn't like it.

Codeblue

FStop7 said:

Saying that the response is ridiculous means that Stump's ridicule was warranted.

The worst thing about these ridiculous threads is just how seriously the OP often takes it. There's no charm or self awareness, instead it just reads like a press release, or a sample of the OPs ability to create a nice press kit.

Majanew

Banned
AC OT is terrible. Some are trying to outdo other's OTs and they're just getting longer and longer. Ugh. Kill it.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Clicked into the AC:R thread.

Waited 10 seconds, saw nothing.

Clicked out.

Will never click the first page again. I agree, posts like that are a waste of an OT.

randomkid

ShockingAlberto said:
I don't disagree with any of this.

But my issue with OTs is greater than simply structure. They're sales pitches. Maybe it became that way, maybe it's always been that way, but it's goddamn cringe-worthy all the same.

Until people can get past the idea that an official thread is to sell people on a game, rather than set the tone for the discussion (though the two likely go hand-in-hand for most), they're always going to come off as shill-like and PR-invoking servicing of a game no one involved has actually played.

I don't really have strong feelings about this, but what's your take on sales pitch shilling for super niche-ass games? I see that a lot here too.

Setting the right tone is pretty important on message boards I think, but its pretty difficult to change the culture of a userbase this big. Doesn't hurt to try I guess.

[Nintex]

I looked at it again and what has the OP done?

You just know that putting the entire Assassins Creed series in there is going to 'inspire' people. The next Zelda thread will have all of Zelda's lore, theorized timelines, items, characters, Iwata Asks interviews, transcripts of famitsu interviews, fanarts, moves, different links, different zelda's, different graphical styles, different hyrules, 'did you know Link had pink hair once?', sidequests, Link's many enemies and more. Not to mention the Mario 3D Land thread, which will go down the list of EVERY GAME Mario has ever appeared in(even as a cameo or in beta(hello Diddy Kong Pilot, Mario 128 et all) in detail. Along with every easter egg(Mario paintings in OOT, cloudbush(!), Mario World as a background in some TV show, Mario Bros. 3 in the Wizard, the Mario movie and more. Years of Mario history for everyone to enjoy. The OP will span 100 pages.

We're already fucked.

butter_stick said:
The worst thing about these ridiculous threads is just how seriously the OP often takes it. There's no charm or self awareness, instead it just reads like a press release, or a sample of the OPs ability to create a nice press kit.

That's why ShockingAlberto's Ghost Trick OP rules. It's fun to read.

flyinpiranha said:
Go back and read my posts. So far I've been called a coward and to fuck off because I said "people will bitch about anything" in a nutshell.

Oh, and now you're insulting my intelligence with not being able to create decent argument because there is no need for one. If you don't like those OT's, don't click on them.
So your stance is that you have not been dismissive or condescending or insulting to people at all or that you have but it's okay because some people were mean to you?

How does your logic simply not apply to everything, as well? If you do not like something, why engage in any discussion about it at all? Why are you here? Why are you talking to me? Or can we simply agree that not everyone holds the same standards of what they feel is ignorable and beyond commenting on?

Poyunch

[Nintex] said:

You just know that putting the entire Assassins Creed series in there is going to 'inspire' people. The next Zelda thread will have all of Zelda's lore, theorized timelines, items, characters, Iwata Asks interviews, transcripts of famitsu interviews, fanarts, moves, different links, different zelda's, different graphical styles, different hyrules, 'did you know Link had pink hair once?', sidequests, Link's many enemies and more. Not to mention the Mario 3D Land thread, which will go down the list of EVERY GAME Mario has ever appeared in(even as a cameo or in beta(hello Diddy Kong Pilot, Mario 128 et all) in detail. Along with every easter egg(Mario paintings in OOT, cloudbush(!), Mario World as a background in some TV show, Mario Bros. 3 in the Wizard, the Mario movie and more. Years of Mario history for everyone to enjoy. The OP will span 100 pages.

We're already fucked.
Amir0x will save us.

FStop7 said:

Ban metaphors.

His clearly stated point was that such OPs are counterproductive to a healthy discussion of a game when all they do is service the hype for a few pages and don't make themselves accessible to something as simple as ctrl+f for the casual information seekers.

Everything past the 2nd post of the AC:R OT is fluff, often redundant fluff.

[Nintex] said:

We're already fucked.
The Mario 3D Land OP has been up for days!

You're going to make Andrex cry.

JJD said:
That's just your opinion. Don't act like it's a fact.
Oh okay, I shouldn't act like my opinion on what an OT should be is anything more tha-

JJD said:
I learned a lot of in there, isn't this the objective of a OT?
OOPS

JJD said:
Are you really trying to pass conjecture as fact again? People CAN like anything, I doesn't stop then from having preferences. You like your OTs short and concise, I prefer mine in depth and informative.
"Most people seem like concise OPs" isn't conjecture, it's anecdotal, try again.

But you're right, you should never pass conjecture as fac-.

JJD said:
As soon as OTs start to get concise and minimal people will bitch that the OP is not putting enough effort.
OOPS X2 COMBO

JJD said:
It's probably as illogical, ignorant and stupid as calling an OT bloated and paste-bin just because you don't like it.
So it's illogical to say you dislike something... just because you dislike something.

OOPS X3 MULTI-CHAIN

Achievement Unlocked: Cognitive Dissonance

Boney

Banned
Phat Michael said:
i agree it was ridiculous. The third post down disagrees with us though..

"Mother of God.

Amazing OP. The best one I've seen since I'm on GAF.
Almost makes me want to buy the game."
That goes to show that size does matter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom