• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloated, PR paste-bin |OT|s are a plague on these boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik2121

Glad you guys approve of the UDK thread!. Tried to keep it clean and simple.

I would love to make the OT for some coming game. Maybe Mario Kart 7 if nobody took it...

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Once an official thread has a few hundred replies in, nobody is going back to the first page. I am at least glad to see that this bizarre disdain for anyone being excited for or an enjoying a game doesn't seem to be limited to Uncharted 3 anymore.

Seriously, why would anyone give a fuck?

This is the only thread on the internet I've ever seen where people are fishing for validation about their own length in hopes that they're told it's short enough.

notworksafe

Kung Fu Grip said:
Awesome! Glad to see you have zero clue about what my post ment.

Crybaby.

"Whaaaa! Too many words mommy! Too many pictures! Make it stop! Whaaaa!
Again, way to not read the thread or any of my posts. Try again after you've done that and you'll see I never said anything like that, but that I praised OTs that used text and images well and still managed to stay on the topic of the game itself.

Go ahead. I'll wait.

TheExodu5

Banned
Brandon F said:
The real problem is not so much the PR info dump, but the amount of white noise that does detract in the actual thread. The first dozen pages can often be excised before retail launch entirely as nothing of consequence or import is said among the gushing praise for essentially a wiki extract.

New terms of etiquette for OT pages would be more helpful than muzzling the "primer" dump in an OT. If a poster wants to congratulate the OT author for his work, use a fucking PM. OT pages are so littered with pointless drivel after the OP, that they rarely serve their entire justification until the release hits LttP status and all the nonsense posters have moved on to the next big OT.

There is one good thing about a wall of OP congratulation messages: it makes it so I don't have to load up the front page ever again.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
If you're gonna be a Nazi about OT etiquette, the least you should do is capitalize properly.

This thread prompted me to check out the Modern Warfare 3 OT and I gotta say, despite the length, that is one awesome looking OT...very sleek and laid out in a way that makes it very easy to read as well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450471

I think these huge OTs can work. The only thing that looks off-putting in that OT is the Contents being all jammed together but it's a small part of it.

fernoca

Andrex said:
If I had to pick the one thing I dislike the most about big OTs, this is it. Second would probably be long-width images that force scrollbars on all but the highest resolution computers.
But it is for a reason, well usually at least.
This:

If I had to pick the one thing I dislike the most about big OTs, this is it. Second would probably be long-width images that force scrollbars on all but the highest resolution computers.

186 characters, including spaces.

If you want it to look like:
If I had to pick the one thing I dislike the most about big OTs, this is it. Second would probably be long-width images that force scrollbars on all but the highest resolution computers.​
Adding the
tags adds 16 more characters; for a total of 202 characters just in that post.

Compared to:
BoWi3.png

Which is just 39 characters, including the tags.

:p​

Good lord that Assassin's Creed OT is overkill. I agree completely that its getting out of hand with most OTs and makes finding information harder for people, not easier.

Anteater

OT should always be funny, that's what I think

with some descriptions.

Dude obviously put in a lot of work for the OP, I don't really mind long ones, but I don't read them, but I could see people finding it useful, though not being able to search kind of sucks if it's too long.

and I think mods had shared some ideas on what an OP should be in the past, but I don't remember for sure and not sure where it's located.

Grecco said:
I agree with these sentiments, they have gotten out of hand. Quasi viralesque threads with regurgitated information, most of the posts are just repeats of other posts.

Do people really like these threads? When you open up its page after page of GREAT OP GREAT POST but i doubt most of them actually read it.
Have you looked at that ACR thread? I consider myself a fan of the series and I didn't even know that 90% of the information in that thing existed. If it's copy-pasted, it's from a hugely obscure section of the internet on backseat Assassin's Creed canon.

SouthernDragon said:
I like the idea of having GAFfer reviews in an OT. Have the OTs stimulate discussion and provide something that can't be found anywhere else; GAF reviews.

I mentioned this idea to Evilore in a thread once to create a structured for OT's that would include a section for GAF user reviews, or even a wiki style review system with a template and got no response. He either disagreed with the idea or more likely missed the post because he didnt respond. Probably should have sent him a pm with the idea instead of just posting it randomly in the middle of a busy thread.

Mooreberg said:
Once an official thread has a few hundred replies in, nobody is going back to the first page. I am at least glad to see that this bizarre disdain for anyone being excited for or an enjoying a game doesn't seem to be limited to Uncharted 3 anymore.

Not true. Patch notes, FAQ answers that come up, dev quotes, and updates etc are exactly the kind of thing you update an OT's first post with. That's helpful info.

In these ultra OTs its not worth it to load and scour the whole OP looking for news.

All I ask is that the OTs be concise and useful.

Xater

Mooreberg said:

I go back to OPs where people update it with actually useful information. That could be DLC for example.

NullPointer said:
Not true. Patch notes, FAQ answers that come up, dev quotes, and updates etc are exactly the kind of thing you update an OT's first post with. That's helpful info.

In these ultra OTs its not worth it to load and scour the whole OP looking for news.

Most of the time these OTs don't add anything because it would be too much work with all their fancy images they added to it.

Mooreberg said:

Personally, it bothers me because it reflects poorly on us as a community. It makes us look like PR lapdogs, people who wear team stripes rather than play video games, pushers rather than players.

But I'm not going to speak for the OP, that's just my opinion.

notworksafe

fernoca said:
This:

If I had to pick the one thing I dislike the most about big OTs, this is it. Second would probably be long-width images that force scrollbars on all but the highest resolution computers.​
Adding the

Compared to:
BoWi3.png

:p[/QUOTE]
Or just don't use overly large images that stretch the post and require the use of the indent tag to make your text readable in the first place, like the examples posted in this very thread.​

Averon

I have no problems with OTs ops that are a bit excessive. However, that Ass Creed OT was WAY, WAY, overboard. I thought the op was going to take the entire first page of the thread!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
fernoca said:
This:

Adding the

Compared to:
BoWi3.png

:p[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366982"]A single post can contain 24,000 characters.[/URL]

That is literally a ton of text. I've made multi-post OPs before where it was required, but that was because[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379721"] I was literally including everything and the kitchen sink[/URL] and was hitting that limit. I highly doubt these multi-post OTs are even close to the character limit.​

adelante

Volcynika said:
Well first off, anyone that access it with a phone.
Yup...this is why I'm not fond of OTs that puts text as images...and why both my FIFA threads (FIFA 11 & FIFA12) reflect that. Plus, I've always preferred small thumbnails links for screenshots and videos =D

androvsky

I seem to recall a poster that had a habit of typing his posts out in 80-character columns with inserted carriage returns, and was eventually threatened with a ban because it was nearly impossible to read on phones due to the screwed up formatting.

daffy

Banned
BigJiantRobut said:
Sycophantic is a fancy word now?
English speakers use that in normal discussion now? Well excuuuse my french, I've never ever heard anyone use that or seen that.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Good god at that AC:Rev OT. I'm glad I didn't open that on my phone. I would have used up 1/4 of my montly bandwidth just on the front page. Christ.

fernoca

notworksafe said:
Or just don't use overly large images that stretch the post and require the use of the indent tag to make your text readable, like the examples posted in this very thread.
Image size is another thing. All I'm saying is that in some cases, they do convert text to image for a reason. In the Skylanders thread, there's no way I can put GAF impressions in the main post and make it part of the original post if is not an image. Unless I just remove all images that do show how the game works and the figures/characters (which is the main thing about the game).

I do make image of text size with some size-limitations/dimensions to avoid that.

Andrex said:
A single post can contain 24,000 characters.

That is literally a ton of text. I've made multi-post OPs before where it was required, but that was because I was literally including everything and the kitchen sink and was hitting that limit. I highly doubt these multi-post OTs are even close to the character limit.
For the MK thread I had to divide the summaries and other aspects of the threads in 2 posts because of the limit. For Skylanders I had to put the GAF impressions as image too because of that. Even had to change the reviews and eliminate the quotes and just put the scores because of that, and that OT is way smaller than the MK one.

KingDizzi

Banned
It's pretty obvious that people here saying big OT's are bad:

1. Have shitty internet connections which is their own problem
2. Are jealous because they don't have the mental capacity to make one of those big OT's
3. Just need something to moan about, venting on a video game forum about how people that make OT's are fanboys, as though gaming is actually anything meaningful in life is really quite embarrassing.

I see no problem with these big OT's, if there is such sorrow over reading them wait until it goes into page two and then click. The small OT's that the OP posted for example are so low on info and it seems like what people here want, better off just asking a question about the game in the thread and hoping to get a reply.

54-46!

A good OT has:
- Neat banner (the only big image)
- Headlines in fitting font style (image), easier to find what you're looking for.
- Text is.. text.
- Thumbnails for media.
- Easy to find "Updates" section.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm torn.

On the one hand, I agree that they take up way too much space and are way too much like something official publisher PR would release. The focus on gigantic images is also insane and ridiculous.

On the other hand, sometimes they look really good and give out a lot of information - much more (sadly) than the documentation that actually come with the games. It's like... it's like a NeoGAF fan manual for the game.

I got it! That's how you fix the OT OPs! You have the shorter, single post basic information up top, with easily readable and editable text for updates, and then have a pic or text with a link to the NeoGAF OT Unofficial Manual (tm) for the game, in pdf form or something, which has all the awesome/ridiculous pictures and character profiles and detailed class information, etc.

I'm a genius, pm me and I'll tell you where to send my checks.

Spacebar said:
The reason I found GAF was the MGS4 OT. It really amazed me how much work and thought was put into a forum. Not only does it inform, but also builds hype. I can't even count how many times I've bought shit just because someone on here made an amazing OT to get me even more excited about a game.

The ACR OT is big because for one it's the 4th game in the series so there is a lot of content. I regularly go back to the main OT page to view some of the wallpapers, avatars, and promo art for my favorite games. MK, SF4, and MGS4 are my favs.

Thanks to everyone who puts in effort to make those threads. I appreciate your work and hope to see big OT's in the future.
This. Big OT is what separate Gaf from other gaming forums. Keep doing big OT people, if people don´t like they can just ignore it.

WillyFive

Mik2121 said:
Glad you guys approve of the UDK thread!. Tried to keep it clean and simple.

I would love to make the OT for some coming game. Maybe Mario Kart 7 if nobody took it...

Mario Kart 7 is taken by Chet Rippo.

To all |OT| makers: Remember to check the |OT| |OT| before making an |OT| to prevent |OT| grief

Htown said:
I got it! That's how you fix the OT OPs! You have the shorter, single post basic information up top, with easily readable and editable text for updates, and then have a pic or text with a link to the NeoGAF OT Unofficial Manual (tm) for the game, in pdf form or something, which has all the awesome/ridiculous pictures and character profiles and detailed class information, etc.

This is...good, actually.

The normal short |OT| would be in gaming, while the Unofficial Manual would be in Community. You'd have the best of both worlds, and give Community a reason to exist.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I agree with the OP, I don't think I've ever actually read the information in an "OP" of an |OT| that has been longer than 1 actual post just because they're so bloated and inaccessible for the amount of spruced up information they supposedly contain. Page 3 is usually nicer to start reading, this is after the 1 page of "amazing OP" "OMG OP" comments that is.

I appreciate custom banners if they're well made like anyone would, but 4-5 posts (or 15!) of essentially humungous photos with text embedded in them are useless and largely uninteresting to me.

OP brought to you by company X™.

Just my opinion.

espionage

How about no images allowed in OPs? That would actually make things a lot more concise. No custom headers, PR screenshots, etc. - the OPs would simply only be text. Isn't that why we're all here? To read?

stupei

KingDizzi said:
It's pretty obvious that people here saying big OT's are bad:

1. Have shitty internet connections which is their own problem
2. Are jealous because they don't have the mental capacity to make one of those big OT's
3. Just need something to moan about, venting on a video game forum about how people that make OT's are fanboys, as though gaming is actually anything meaningful in life is really quite embarrassing.

I see no problem with these big OT's, if there is such sorrow over reading them wait until it goes into page two and then click. The small OT's that the OP posted for example are so low on info and it seems like what people here want, better off just asking a question about the game in the thread and hoping to get a reply.

At first I thought this post was meant as a parody. That's how over the top it is.

But now I'm not so sure.

That's also a problem.

Sometimes people will call OTs weeks or months in advance. That's when I can tell an OT basically has no value for me. It's someone who has hyped themselves in to a state of craziness that they want to be the one to sell the game.

"I have an idea for one, can I do it?" is okay.

"I call this OT when the game comes out in three months because everyone needs to know how this this game will be the best game ever" is not.

notworksafe

fernoca said:
Image size is another thing. All I'm saying is that in some cases, they do convert text to image for a reason. In the Skylanders thread, there's no way I can put GAF impressions in the main post and make it part of the original post if is not an image. Unless I just remove all images that do show how the game works and the figures/characters (which is the main thing about the game).

I do make image of text size with some size-limitations/dimensions to avoid that.
But making text into images looks like shit on phones and can look like shit on computers depending on what size/resolution the screen is using. Like I said, there are plenty of examples of text heavy OPs that manage to fit in 1-3 posts and provide tons of info, images, videos, reviews, etc. Many examples are provided here.

If your Skylanders thread is like your MK thread it will be about 14 posts too long without hitting the character limit in most of those posts. The MK thread was very attractive and obviously took a lot of work, but it was too much.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
espionage said:
How about no images allowed in OPs? That would actually make things a lot more concise. No custom headers, PR screenshots, etc. - the OPs would simply only be text. Isn't that why we're all here? To read?

This is GAF - nobody reads the OP. :p

RobbieNick

I agree. That AssCreed's OT goes waaaay overboard. However, I see nothing wrong with an OT that's graphic intensive and gives you the most important details of the game to garner interest as long as it doesn't go into every stinkin' detail. You want something that's both appealing to the eye and easy to navigate.

I think there should be a rule that an OT has to have all it's info within the first post and that's it.

Mik2121

espionage said:
Actually, that would blow.

That would mean to images of the game, and small headers could help with making the whole thread easier to navigate.

Willy105 said:

Dang!. I wonder if there's some game that interests me that doesn't have an OT yet...

harrytang

Radec said:
haha.. oh shit. I knew someone will make a thread about it.

no, your OT was awesome.

i also appreciated the skyrim OT. read the whole goddamn thing and learned a lot being that im new to elder scrolls.

1-D_FTW

The more I think about it, the more I support the OP being mainly about updating the post with gaf info/reviews.

Maybe have the first post reserved for the usual PR info (although most people aren't reading novels, people. The shorter, the more likely it gets read).

The second post then gets reserved for future gaf reviews/info/updates/patches/glitches/useful info. This way someone LTTP can have an accumulation of all the useful information in determining whether they should buy, or if they have purchased, getting caught up to speed on important issues.

Vire

ShockingAlberto said:
Personally, it bothers me because it reflects poorly on us as a community. It makes us look like PR lapdogs, people who wear team stripes rather than play video games, pushers rather than players.

I couldn't disagree more.

It reflects positively on the community because it shows that we are the most dedicated video game forum on the internet. We CARE about games enough to put the time and effort into these things and provide information to others.

I really don't get the hate. If you don't like it - skip to page two.

If you do appreciate the hard work that these people put into these things, read on.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The best OTs are the one-post ones with very clear structure about the game. Those are the only ones I've bothered to read. The rest are too bloated to be of any use. I just wait until it's 20 pages long and then I start posting.

Barrett2

ShockingAlberto said:

I strongly agree with this.

On a more broad level, I think the last few weeks say a lot about the schizophrenic nature of GAF. Half the threads on the gaming side are topics making fun of the 'lazy' gaming press for the shitty jobs they do as PR mouthpieces, yet when Eurogamer gives Uncharted 3 an 8, we have hundreds of pages of people foaming at the mouth that their pre-conceived notions of a game were not validated by the same lazy PR mouthpiece gaming press they decry.

As for the *obviously* PR-created OTs, it reduces what should be an informative repository of information and a springboard for a good discussion into PR wankery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom