• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloated, PR paste-bin |OT|s are a plague on these boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kung Fu Grip said:
Didn't everyone love the MGS4 OT? I don't remember people having a problem with that thread.
A lot of people hated that thread but got drowned out by the amazed people posting "WOW GOOD JON OP"

The fact that it's spawned such a terrible trend hasn't earned it any favors in retrospect either.

Coen

It doesn't bother me as much, and I applaud everyone having the creativity and passion to go to such lengths, but I'm not really a fan either. I do however have problems with the growing sentiment that |OT|-threads aren't there for critique.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I like big bloated OTs, they are nice to look at. The AC one gets brownie points for having a gif in the intro, more OTs should have gifs incorporated in their images.

notworksafe

fernoca said:
In the case of Skylanders it was a "limit" since it was something made last minute. So I put everything I could on the main post and then updated some. A few replies were already in place, so I keep adding everything to the main post...and in some cases, a link to a separate post. Replies started including impressions, so I added that to the main post and that's were i hit the first limit. :p
Yeah, that's why I think the option should be there to reserve a second post "just in case" something comes up like impressions, DLC, title updates/patches, things like that. That kind of info is very useful and keeps people coming back to the OP because of the added info and not being able to include all of it because of character limit in the first post is a bummer.

Like I said, the option should be there depending on how much work someone wants to put into their OT after the game comes out. You're good about updating, but many people aren't (not that there's something wrong with that).

Corto

I would be ok with some generic rules to limit OT size in number of characters and images. As long as it left some room to creativity of the user. By my personal experience with my only OT I was indeed trying to shill for it. It's a game from a dev team from my country (Portugal) and I would love for them to thrive in their first attempt in a console game. So some of this over the top OT can indeed be from more enthusiastic fans with a sincere wish to see the game enjoyed by a larger audience. But as I said in the beginning of this post, a generic framework for these would be completely acceptable.

Chet Rippo said:
So, how did I do for my first |OT|?
Good? Bad?
Whenever I'm gonna make my next OP I will defintely use this and Andrex's Super Mario Land 3D as templates.

I don't mind the huge OPs when they are done right. I thought MGS4 was amazing, and heck I even made the huge Metroid Anniversary thread which was around 8 or 9 posts.

But I would say that was for a special occasion as it kinda had to cover 25 years worth of franchise (and I still made the mistake of not having thumbs for the fanart and so on).

As many others have said the two biggest offenders in big OTs are:
  • Text in images
  • Images so wide they make you have to scroll to the sides to actually read the OP

Of course everything in an OP should be relevant more or less. I don't see why an OP should spend more than a few lines (or links) on previous games of the franchise. 1 or 2 posts should be more than fine and perhaps a 3rd post with updated info.

creid

Love the big, beautiful OTs. I especially liked the ACR OT because I've been looking for a good detailed recap of the first three games without having to risk spoiler territory (I assume there have been leaks here and there) by going to the wiki. I don't really mind the OP stretching out to 10+ posts, because the first page or 3 of OTs are usually filled with useless "DAY 1" "right in my veins" "can't wait" non-discussion, anyway.

I do agree that some of them are probably a little too long, and I don't see a big benefit in having the text in an image aside from the aesthetic factor.

obonicus

EmCeeGramr said:
A lot of people hated that thread but got drowned out by the amazed people posting "WOW GOOD JON OP"

The fact that it's spawned such a terrible trend hasn't earned it any favors in retrospect either.

Sure, but one of the people going 'Wow, good job' was the owner of the board.

We should get 50 people together to each create one post for an OT and then combine them to have one full, massive page of OTness. Ideally, it would drain your smartphone's battery by 40 to 50%, as well as capping your bandwidth several times over.

fernoca

notworksafe said:
Yeah, that's why I think the option should be there to reserve a second post "just in case" something comes up like impressions, DLC, title updates/patches, things like that. That kind of info is very useful and keeps people coming back to the OP because of the added info and not being able to include all of it because of character limit in the first post is a bummer.

Like I said, the option should be there depending on how much work someone wants to put into their OT after the game comes out. You're good about updating, but many people aren't (not that there's something wrong with that).
I do agree with that.
There's nothing more than I hate in threads, that a thread (official or not) that is posted and then forgotten about. So then you have to read all over the thread looking for something and if you ask about something, that was already answered; you're eaten alive. :p

Which is why for the 4 OTs I've made, I tend to update them until the interest just stops. Updated the MK OT from April 12, until September 24. Still update the Skylanders thread (but nothing "new" yet). Motoheroz [another last minute thread :p]; there's not much to update yet (still waiting on info about new content) and Solatorobo [yep, last minute too]; there's not much to add to it at the moment.

Thinking about it, MK was the only OT I've actually planned on and I wanted it to be bigger, but just because I love MK (and it was an important release in some way). I did wanted to use less images. Planned for a "remake" of the thread with a nicer look and a smaller scale, when/if it reached OT2; but obviously it didn't and won't. :p

LuchaShaq

Banned
Meh I liked the AC Rev OP because games with 6 editions is confusing as fuck, also because I forgot about the side story movies I might check out now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Metroid Killer said:
Whenever I'm gonna make my next OP I will defintely use this and Andrex's Super Mario Land 3D as templates.

<3

Metroid Killer said:
But I would say that was for a special occasion as it kinda had to cover 25 years worth of franchise (and I still made the mistake of not having thumbs for the fanart and so on).

Agreed. Some situations call for longer OPs. (My Pokemon Community Thread, while still only one post, is quite long. Side note, you haven't been active in PokeGAF, what gives?!)

But OTs for a game's release? They don't need to be as long, nor should they be.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Corto said:
I would be ok with some generic rules to limit OT size in number of characters and images. As long as it left some room to creativity of the user. By my personal experience with my only OT I was indeed trying to shill for it. It's a game from a dev team from my country (Portugal) and I would love for them to thrive in their first attempt in a console game. So some of this over the top OT can indeed be from more enthusiastic fans with a sincere wish to see the game enjoyed by a larger audience. But as I said in the beginning of this post, a generic framework for these would be completely acceptable.

This is something you have to balance out. If its a big, PR-reeking OP. I'm not going to read it and just ignore the game. If its a smaller one, but with something interesting or funny. Bet your ass I'll read it.

Now to be fair, most of the problems brought up are more focused in larger titles. The one mentioned in the op is AC:R, the one that keeps getting brought up is MGS4. I can't think of a single OT, which had a 10+ page opening, that wasn't a massive whack off on screen. And it sets a really nasty trend in the thread.

I love the big OTs. I'm always in awe of how much effort people put into it. I like the ACR OT, but then again, I'm a huge fan of Assassin's Creed. My own OTs could never come near that level of awesome.

pelican

I can't believe that in this day and age people are moaning about loading images. If that is a worry for you time to get a new ISP and decent bandwidth.

I also think it is a bit cheeky moaning about OT when obviously members have put time and effort into creating them.

BiggNife

Heavy said:
We should get 50 people together to each create one post for an OT and then combine them to have one full, massive page of OTness. Ideally, it would drain your smartphone's battery by 40 to 50%, as well as capping your bandwidth several times over.
Everything has to be a gif

Even the text

guys please stop being mean

this guy clearly spent time and effort collating his 8,000 word mario wiki article, and i think he requires some respect for that

stupei

dogmanstaruk said:
I can't believe that in this day and age people are moaning about loading images. If that is a worry for you time to get a new ISP and decent bandwidth.

I also think it is a bit cheeky moaning about OT when obviously members have put time and effort into creating them.

And expect us to put time and effort into navigating them...

What if we make a feature length silent documentary about the game

And then turn the video into a series of gifs which we'll post

Grisby

I like all OP's. The AC one is a fun read. Sometimes it' nice to have some fun with the game before it's released.

Why not post the essential info at the top and then extras after? So for those inclined they don't have to read the bulk of it if they don't want to.

Andrex said:
Agreed. Some situations call for longer OPs. (My Pokemon Community Thread, while still only one post, is quite long. Side note, you haven't been active in PokeGAF, what gives?!)

But OTs for a game's release? They don't need to be as long, nor should they be.
Yeah pretty much what I was gonna post next. MGS4 was a special case in that it was the first of its kind. I think we are getting a reaction to big OTs as we have had so many this year alone and they start losing the value of being big for special occasion.

But then again via the discourse on the subject the latest months it seems like most people get what gaf wants in an OT. (see bruceleeroy :p)

PS. I left PokeGaf as I just didn't have the courage(read: time) in me to pick up another Poke game. Motivation to post in poke threads kinda disappeared when most of the discussion was about new titles. I will return someday though :)

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
dogmanstaruk said:

This excuse does not work anymore, I hope you realize. Browsing on a phone (which a lot of us do) is difficult.

I'm all for informative OPs, but 2-3 posts is enough. And text on images? Gotta go. That shit is whack.

TheExodu5

Banned
Give me:

• Tombstone data: name, platforms, release date, recommended specs, etc...
  • Story premise
  • Game mechanics
  • Characters/classes, if appropriate (classes for Diablo 3, for example)
  • 4-6 thumbnailed screenshots to give me an idea of what the game looks like
  • Gameplay video or trailer
  • If it's a sequel, what's new from the previous release?

That's about all that's needed. I don't need to know the 50 weapons in the game. I don't need to know every single skill I can get when leveling up. I don't need to know the name of the 15 maps that come with the game. I don't need to know all 50 characters in the game.

Less is more.

ghst said:
incase you hadn't noticed, the assassin's creed revelations OT went up today:
not safe for those prone to carpal tunnel in their mousewheel finger

look at that monstrosity. i thought OTs were supposed to be things of utility, with the original post serving as a concise primer, laying out all the useful and essential information for anyone with a wayward moment to click on them; not masturbatory odes to the greatness of every last mitigating detail of a game.

when i click on an OT i'll want to find release/pricing details, a spattering of reviews and footage, and perhaps a tastefully concise blurb or bullet list highlighting some of the major innovations/selling points of the title. what i don't want is some catch all media dump which reads like the OP found a folder some PR rep left on a train and decided to type it all up verbatim, leaving any useful information marooned in a sea of extended universe fluff.

moreover, this kind of yawning fanboy rubbing material only serves to set up a sycophantic worship tone for the rest of the thread, stifling rational debate. how dare anyone criticize a king in his own palace?

here's how it should be done, courtesy of stump. level headed, concise and actually useful:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351801
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449987

i did also enjoy the couple of times that OTs have been granted "roast" privileges, neutralizing the usual worshipful narrative of most OTs. but with fanthing tensions as taut as they are, i foresee many faded usernames should that ever become the standard.

The MGS4 thread was funny because the game ended up being such a colossal shitpile. Something like that will never happen again, so OT's as they are need nuking from high orbit.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Green Scar said:
What if we make a feature length silent documentary about the game

And then turn the video into a series of gifs which we'll post
Now I want to see this for the reactions it would bring.

I don't think I've ever read an [OT] op outside of the short or comedy ones. At most I'll scan it for a release date. I enjoyed this recent one despite not having any interest in the game.

I do like the idea of having a short FAQ in the op, much more useful long term than a list of special editions. You'll always find certain questions that keep coming up, would be nice to see ops updated with stuff like that.

It's gotten to the point where it's a waste to read through the OP because it's just copy-pasted PR shit that I don't care about.

"A groundbreaking sequel.." Oh fuck off. Just tell me in your own NORMAL words why this game is awesome and why I should play it.

Preorder DLC guides are always welcome though, because fuck trying to figure out what I can get and not get.

Tiktaalik

The large OT first posts are completely ridiculous.

Ideally the first post should give one a quick rundown of current status of OT. A short explanation of the game, then updated with scores as they arrive, and then updated as notable patches are released.

Aside from insane length, the other issue with many of these first posts is that they use images that are too wide and these are very annoying not only for mobile users, but as well for regular PC users who don't want to have to maximize our brower windows.

likeGdid

Volcynika said:
ASCII text go!
Yes, please. GameFAQs walkthoughs, ahoy!
Code:
                              __________         __________
   _______   ___               \      _/         \       /
    \_    | /  /___________   ___\   \           /     /
      /   |/  /  ____/ __  \ /   |\   \        /     /     ___  _______________
     /        / /___/ /  /_ /  | |\   \      /     /      / _ \/ __/ _ \__  __/
   /  /   /  /  ___/ | ___ /  /| | \   \   /     /  ___  / // / /_/ // / / /
  /  //  //  / /___|  \\  \/  _  | \    \/     /   /__/ / ___/ __/  _ / / /
/___//__//__/_______\_____/__/ |_|  \        /         / /  / /_/ /\ \ / /
   ________  ______   __  _____     /      /          /_/  /___/_/  \_\_/
    \_    | /  /   | /  |/  _/    /       \
      /   |/  /  | |/   |  /    /    /\    \     - GUIDE FOR: MEGAMAN X
     /        / /| |/     /   /    /   \    \
   /  /   /  /  _  |  |   / /    /     \    \
  /  //  //  /_/ |_|_/|__//    /        \    \_
/___//__//__/           /_____\         /______\

Copyright CRESPO99 - August/2001 - Version 1.3

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
There is maybe 10 or so releases every year that have a "big" OT. If you open one up and see you don't approve of the size, simply search wikipedia for whatever info you are looking for. Yes, release info and pricing should be the first info posted. The only issue I have with some of them is walls of text in super compressed JPEGs.

stupei

Beam said:
SMFH. No one is forcing you to navigate anything.

Oh cool so the thread isn't there to provide information to GAF users, it's just there for people who already know pretty much everything about an upcoming release to jerk off to something they're already hyped about? Good to know.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Lord-Audie said:
Just Ignore it.

Is not that hard.

If people want to spend time on elaborate OTs, let them. Its their time.

/thread

You can't /thread your own post. That's internet forum rules 101!!

Ledsen

I can't believe people are actually defending these shit OT:s, it's baffling to me. Just read this quote over and over again:

PopcornMegaphone said:
Effective communication is clear and concise.

PopcornMegaphone said:

PopcornMegaphone said:

PopcornMegaphone said:

It seems like the reason why OTs are going image-text is because bbcode doesn't offer the formatting flexibility that the thread creators envision in their OTs. Just use what's available or don't do it at all.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just renewed my GAF Gold account to skip these OTs. Such a nice feature, not sure how I lived without it for the past month

zlatko

Banned
ghst said:
i think it was supposed to be a poem.

What do you think of my post on the last page ?

"This is the effect of the behemoth that is the MGS4 OT. People on GAF are set to topple it.

While I think the work and the sleekness of the AC Revelations thread is to be applauded, it seems like major overkill when it isn't even a numbered iteration of the series. I expect that kind of a thread for the LAST AC game, or even 3 which is set to wrap up this console generation, but not for Revelations.

I'm not going to hate on someone who is that passionate about the series, and WANTS to put that much work into a OT. That's what geeking out is supposed to look like.

Perhaps the compromise could be that the first page of OT's from now on can be that TL;DR bite sized morsel the OP of this thread likes, and then give fair warning that the rest is for those who want to share in the glory of the franchise/game at hand? That way after you read the first page, you can just skip to the latest comment, and go from there.

What do you guys think ?"

Seem like a fair compromise to you ?

rataven

I think it's great there are skilled people willing to put OTs together and get the community excited and informed on upcoming games. But the mega OT stuff is sensory overload. Gameplay type, platforms, a few screens, and preorder info is usually what I look for, and finding that info in a sea of screenshots and game lore can be cumbersome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom