• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blocks That Matter |OT| Rescue XBLIG devs!

Kafel

Banned
Competent ones, not the massage apps' lazy bums.

blocksthatmatter_thumb.jpg

The indie devs of BTM have been kidnapped and the little robot has to save them.

screen1.jpg

screen3.jpg

screen2.jpg

launch trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aDtip5b-Kc&feature=player_embedded

xboxboxart.jpg

Combine your platforming and puzzle-solving skills in this incredible mashup! Playing as the Tetrobot, you can collect blocks of matter, recycle them into new shapes and trigger chain reactions. Contains 100% natural Slime extract.
Links:
(demo) http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/P...0000000-0000-4000-8000-00005855085b?cid=SLink
(full game) http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/P...6acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025855085b?cid=SLink
price: 240 MSP

The French developers at Swing Swing Submarine have created a cute and clever platformer/puzzle game. Brilliant level-design and catchy tunes mix perfectly in a game where controls never frustrate the player. What do you need more GAF to decide to give this game a try? References to other videogames? There are lots of them. Try BTM now.

If you plan to buy the game, do it in-game, the developers have prepared a little surprise. And if you really like it, spread the love with the tool in the game to send messages to your friends list.

Update :

Some facts about the game courtesy of ttk.
- made in 4 months
- sort of spiritual sequel to Tuper Tario Tros
- The game contains 40 levels (adventure) + 10 bonus levels that can be unlocked collecting BTMs (special blocks in chests)
- An average player can finish the game in 5 hours (more or less) but another hour is needed to collect all BTMs
- 40 BTMs to collect including
Super Meat Boy, Minecraft, Battleblock Theater, Tetris, Lode Runner, Spelunky,...
- Two people at Swing Swing Submarine : Guillaume Martin - Programming / William David - Ingame graphs and Level Design
- Two additional staff : Géraud Soulié - Character Design and Illustrations / Yann van der Cruyssen - Sound and Music (Knytt Stories and Saira)

Should probably point out it's coming to PC/Mac/Linux sometime in the next few weeks.

Also that it's from the developers who made that Super Mario Bros/Tetris mashup, and that this game is sort of the evolution of that concept of mashing "block games" together.

Let me present you our new impossible mash-up : Blocks That Matter !

Or as people who has already playtested the game calls it: BTM.
Where B stands for Boulder Dash, T for Tetris and M for Minecraft.
Three games, retro and modern, made of blocks that matter.

Knowing that, maybe you already have a good idea of what you’ll be able to do in this game. Or maybe not, cause even if we love game references we are honest people and we will never copy/paste any game.

Our intention is to create a unique game experience mixing game elements and mechanics, our own game made of blocks.

Gaspode_T

Trial is downloaded but unplayed...

I like that it is not flat 2D but drawn just a little bit isometric. I remain a little bit unsold on the hook of this game, is it that there is a little bit of Minecraft building from within a 2D game? From the trailer, it looked a little bit frantic, you are being chased by some sort of blob and then have to construct some blocks to get away? It's like the opposite of Raskulls :) When I read "Blocks that Matter" I actually thought it would be all about gaining super powers from blocks, like Mario style.

Kafel

Banned
HadesGigas said:
Should probably point out it's coming to PC/Mac/Linux sometime in the next few weeks.

Yep, more people will join in. I'll update the thread when it's done.

Wow, the
ilomilo
block wasn't easy to get.

edit : Gaspode >> BTM is very calm, relaxing. The chasing blob is like a boss level. It's the exception, not the norm in the game.
edit2 : aaaaaand I've just discovered why the secret block of this level is so difficult to get : )

Hah, was just coming to post that!

Clearly I totally love this. I hope you're all playing it. Or intending to play the PC/Mac/Linux version

This thread better explode with love when the home computer versions hit, a seriously lovely game. Been trying to get some hidden blocks that matter and my brain is melting on a couple of them, sure it will get much harder later on.

Gaspode_T

Bought it and proceeded to pimp to entire friends list using the Share feature.

You're right, it's polished like a mofo!

The platforming has a nice feel to it, and digging the blocks has kind of the same cathartic feel as Minecraft.

It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than most of the iOS/Android platformer games that sell for $3. Waaaaaaay better. Trust me I've been trying tons of them lately. I hope it sells well and proves that a $3 price point is fine for well polished platformers.

Nice music, smooth/cute graphics, good gameplay...controls well with a game controller, so if you have a PC hopefully you use 360 controller :)

Also wanted to give my praise. Only about five levels in but it's crazy how tough it gets right from the start trying to get the secret blocks. I have the first four or five (however many levels in? I just passed the big slime) and also did the first bonus level. Really well thought out level design. And I imagine it allows for multiple solutions in some places.

Really cool game from the little bit I've played.

It feels more like a puzzle platformer than some Minecraft-esque game. If it weren't for people describing it with that game's name included (even the developers do) I wouldn't have made that connection at all as I think of Minecraft in more of a creative/crafting game of making shit and this is purely platforming with Tetris piece puzzles. Such a weird concept that works really, really well.

My only issue is I constantly feel like I need to reclaim every block before I reach the exit so I set up really stupid set-ups just to make sure I reach each exit with the maximum blocks possible. Heh, it'd be awesome if they had a medal system in each level based on remaining blocks (assuming A, there aren't levels where you have to always use every block to reach the exit and B, you don't gain abilities that'd allow you to easily gain back blocks previously unrecoverable such as drilling downwards or something).

trial'd

You guys should also check out Sequence, which came out last week. I can now say that I played a 10-12 hour RPG on a plastic guitar, and loved it.

Gowans

Oh wow played the trial and bought right away, this is fantastic.

Such great charm, polish, presentation and gameplay.

So far it's up there in the top of what Indie Games have to offer, could have easily been a lauded XBLA game.

Will be interesting to see if it gets any coverage from Press, now back to playing.

Kafel

Banned
Wibblewozzer said:
Also wanted to give my praise. Only about five levels in but it's crazy how tough it gets right from the start trying to get the secret blocks. I have the first four or five (however many levels in? I just passed the big slime) and also did the first bonus level. Really well thought out level design. And I imagine it allows for multiple solutions in some places.

I've played hours and only passed half of the 40 levels. I've done none of the 10 bonus levels but I went back in some of the adventure ones to get some secret blocks. The difficulty is not insane, just challenging enough.

I love how the secret block relates to the level's name. I always try to guess the game featured before getting the BTM. : )

Yes Boss! said:
So, like Drill Dozer?
To elaborate on what toythatkills has already said in his reply, it's more puzzle based. Early on you can break blocks by either hitting from below or drilling into them sideways (so can't drill down onto blocks, for example). And you can only drill while standing on a surface. Any block you destroy is added to your block count. To build you press Y and a grid overlay covers the screen where you can switch between your block types and place them, except you can ONLY place them four at a time and in Tetris shapes. And they must touch a surface (though the surface can be a previous block you just placed in build mode).

It's really more about the puzzle aspect of reaching the end (and secret block) of each level with the blocks provided through the level through smart placement and reclaiming placed blocks.

Edit:
Kafel said:
I've played hours and only passed half of the 40 levels. I've done none of the 10 bonus levels but I went back in some of the adventure ones to get some secret blocks. The difficulty is not insane, just challenging enough.

I love how the secret block relates to the level's name. I always try to guess the game featured before getting the BTM. : )
Well, I meant crazy difficult relative to the placement of the level. Is it the Ilomilo block that's high up on the right above the portal? Third or fourth level? For only being a few levels in I had to restart a couple times after poor block placements in an attempt to get that one and took some quirky thinking to figure out how to reach that one. It's not like I spent fifteen minutes staring at it or checked a guide (if one exists already? Heh), just noting that for being early on the game already makes it challenging to get secret blocks. It's appreciated.

Kafel

Banned
Left stick.

Wibblewozzer >>
ilomilo is in the 4th level

edit : I'm doing the 20th level now. I have to remember I can step on those falling blocks but not move on them. : /

Kafel

Banned
I'm blocked level 30, can anyone help me?

I don't see how the lava can reach the TNT the second time (down). A solid block avoids the lava from touching the TNT and I only have 3 blocks of wood.

Kafel said:
I'm blocked level 30, can anyone help me?

I don't see how the lava can reach the TNT the second time (down). A solid block avoids the lava from touching the TNT and I only have 3 blocks of wood.
I will help if you haven't beaten it by tomorrow, I'm nowhere near there yet!

But I'll beat it.

Gowans

Am I starting to obsess on using as few blocks as necessary or building four n then trimming them to what I need, dear me!

Kafel

Banned
Yay I've found the solution for the 30th level and it was easy...

I was probably tired yesterday evening.

Kafel

Banned
IMG_0813.jpg

woot woot!

There's a nice bonus for completing the adventure (not just the end of the story, which is cute).

Hah, I got stuck on level 30 for a while earlier, I can see why you got stuck there! Up to level 36 so not far to go, but I decided to go back and get some BtMs instead of finishing it for now

Kafel

Banned
I've done all the bonus levels as well by the way. The puzzles are easier and the platforming more fun.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
wow, TNT4U (not sure what level number that is) kicked my ass! so many reverts to start, lol

i'm usually not a fan of the platform/puzzler genre, but i'm really digging (so what i did there?) this. starts off heavily on the puzzle side, but quickly comes to a nice balance with some platforming as well. plus, its pretty darn charming.

Kafel

Banned
Anyone else beat the game yet?

A few reviews :

xboxer360.com said:
This is easily the best release of the week, and if you only buy one indie game this week make sure it’s this one.
crushfragdestroy.com said:
*Must Play*
Charming, colorful, whimsical, and clever. Blocks That Matter is all of these things and then some.
digboston.com said:
I didn’t get up to make coffee because of Blocks That Matter.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Yeah, still waiting for the pc version as well, since we don't have proper access to the indies section over here.

It should arrive soon at least:

dev said:
As you may already know, Windows, Mac and Linux versions will follow in the next weeks, during May or June.

Kafel

Banned
toythatkills said:
I just beat the story, that was sweet =)

Still got a bunch of BtMs to collect and bonus levels to do though!

The last bonus level is awesome! I've spent a lot of time to clear it but it was worth the effort.

Gowans

Kafel said:
During this first week, we sold only 443 units!

Here is now a little history day by day, showing the purchase numbers/trials downloads and the conversion rate (between brackets)

- d01 : 113 / 1564 (7.2%)
- d02 : 115 / 1096 (10.4%)
- d03 : 75 / 708 (10.5%)
- d05 : 55 / 503 (10.9%)
- d06 : 45 / 342 (13.1%)
- d07 : 40 / 266 (15%)

- global : 443 / 4479 (9.8%)
Boo!!! :(

Top Bottom