• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blocks That Matter |OT| Rescue XBLIG devs!

TheBez

Really hoping this comes to Steam. I am only a few points short of this on Xbox but I'm not sure if I want all the extra points. Will buy day one if it does come to steam though! Also hoping Sequence comes to Steam!

Kalnos

Banned
Feep said:
Boy, that sounds familiar. = (

Sucks, man. BTM is an amazing game. XBLIG just isn't built to reward quality titles.

SSS, submit to Steam. Surely one of us will make it...?

The platform isn't really tailored to create big success stories outside of random hits like "I Made a Game with Zombies in It" but it can get you some good press and help you towards a Steam release. To be honest those simple little top-down shooters probably have a wider market than a game like Sequence as well, which could be why you're seeing less numbers..

A game as polished and as professional looking as yours in both art direction and style would eventually be approved on Steam though I imagine. I'm pretty sure that the Beat Hazard was released using C#/XNA on Steam wasn't it? I remember him posting over on gamedev.net and I don't remember reading anything about him porting it.

Feep

Banned
Kalnos said:
The platform isn't really tailored to create big success stories outside of random hits like "I Made a Game with Zombies in It" but it can get you some good press and help you towards a Steam release. To be honest those simple little top-down shooters probably have a wider market than a game like Sequence as well, which could be why you're seeing less numbers..

A game as polished and as professional looking as yours in both art direction and style would eventually be approved on Steam though I imagine. I'm pretty sure that the Beat Hazard was released using C#/XNA on Steam wasn't it? I remember him posting over on gamedev.net and I don't remember reading anything about him porting it.
I suppose I should amend my statement to say that it doesn't reward quality titles that explore non-standard forms of gameplay. Blocks That Matter is a really cool twist on a traditional concept, where I feel that XBLIG browsers want short, familiar experiences.

But you're right, I don't really begrudge the platform. Sequence (and, I'm sure, many other games) would never have been made without it. And Steam has published over a dozen XNA games, to my knowledge.

Everyone, buy Blocks That Matter! Or at least download the trial; you'll be sold.

Feep said:
But you're right, I don't really begrudge the platform. Sequence (and, I'm sure, many other games) would never have been made without it. And Steam has published over a dozen XNA games, to my knowledge.

Pretty sure it's like 20+ XNA games by now. Including the most top selling/most played game on Steam for the past week straight, Terraria.

Aaron

The wildly successful Magicka is also XNA.

Will buy Blocks that Matter when it hits any sort of PC, since I hardly ever turn on my xbox anymore.

Righty-o then, fellas. And ladies.

I've got one more Block that Matters to get, and it's level 29. It's behind a one-block-high gap with some really quick fire in the way. Do I really just have to run through and hope for the best or is there some other way?

I don't want to know what the other way is, if there is one, just that it exists!

Did it! It was quite easy in the end, only took a few attempts and yet I died about 100 times yesterday. Weird. 100% get!

And all the bonus levels done too.

The dev tweeted earlier about how they were making more levels...

teraMEL0S

Bought the game last week. It is awesome, and pretty tricky in spots. Definitely a quality indie title for the service.

Yet another post showing how low the conversion rates are for XBLIG :( bloody shame.
Hope the PC/MAC/Linux versions kick ass sales wise, really does make you wonder why some people hit XBLIG.

- j07 (18/05/2011) : 28 / 246 (11.3%)
- j08 (19/05/2011) : 1 / 18 (5.5%)
- j09 (20/05/2011) : 30 / 212 (14.15%)
- j10 (21/05/2011) : 34 / 220 (15.45%)
- j11 (22/05/2011) : 39 / 192 (20.3%)
- j12 (23/05/2011) : 21 / 203 (10.34%)
- j13 (24/05/2011) : 23 / 137 (16.7%)
- j14 (25/05/2011) : 20 / 20 (100%, but stats are probably false due to a Xbox Live technical issue this day)

- total : 196 / 1248 (15.7%) that’s 66% less than last week

- global : 639 / 5727 (11.1%). The conversion rate has increased, that’s a good point.

http://www.swingswingsubmarine.com/2011/05/30/btm-–-coverage-and-sales-week-02/

William-SSS

Hi all,

At last, I can write on this forum!
I'm William, one of the developer of Blocks That Matter and I've got some news for you about the Win/Mac/Linux versions.

We are working on the game port and it will be available soon, in few weeks now.
The game will probably be available on our website only at day one, then maybe Desura, D2D and other platforms. We still have no answer from Steam but we know it can be a very long process so...there's still hope.

By the way, thank you all for your support and nice messages!

Gowans

Its a fantastic game, should be XBLA. It's a shame Xbox Indies dont get the same eyeballs.

Good luck on the other versions.

Salsa

William-SSS said:
Hi all,

At last, I can write on this forum!
I'm William, one of the developer of Blocks That Matter and I've got some news for you about the Win/Mac/Linux versions.

We are working on the game port and it will be available soon, in few weeks now.
The game will probably be available on our website only at day one, then maybe Desura, D2D and other platforms. We still have no answer from Steam but we know it can be a very long process so...there's still hope.

By the way, thank you all for your support and nice messages!

Awesome :D cant wait

William-SSS

Thanks Ledsen :) I hope you'll love the gameplay too.

Here are some news about the Windows / Mac / Linux versions of Blocks That Matter : http://www.swingswingsubmarine.com/2011/06/30/tetrobot-do-you-see-nothing-coming/

We still have no release date BUT we will soon perform technical playtests with users from these three platforms. If you want to help us test the game on a technical point of view, don't hesitate to contact us ( http://www.swingswingsubmarine.com/contact/ ) and tell us on which platform (Win/Mac/Linux) you'd be able to run the technical demo.

I finally 100%'d the entire game, and I can't recommend this highly enough. Incredibly well done and challenging without being cheap.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Tried it out on PC, no go. Downloaded the required files, still no go. Just crashes immediately, any answers?

Kafel

Banned
swingswingsub Twitter said:
SwingSwingSubmarine
Blocks That Matter 1st update with 10 new bonus levels, french language & more is in peer review for #XBLIG devs bit.ly/n4ez2f

SWEET

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh. Looking at the OP, I was just about to comment that I think it would be much more profitable to do a PC version. Looks like a fun little game.

Chocoboko

Has anyone been able to get this working on steam? I click to open and it just shows the standard steam loading box then closes real fast and nothing happens. I am using WIndows 7 64 version.

Anyone else having issues?

Chocoboko said:
Has anyone been able to get this working on steam? I click to open and it just shows the standard steam loading box then closes real fast and nothing happens. I am using WIndows 7 64 version.

I'm running Windows 7 and I had no problems getting it to start.

Chocoboko said:

Shot in the dark but you could try uninstalling XNA from your computer then see if BTM will be able to get through the launch motions of installing it.

okenny

Banned
Gowans007 said:

What do you expect. I've heard nothing about this game and I try to stay up on the XBLIG releases. This post is the first I've heard of it. Journos say MS needs to do this and that but of all the sites and podcasts I listened to in the past week (and it's a lot), this news hasn't made it through :(

William-SSS

The game doesn't require XNA to launch. It's a JAVA port that can be played on Windows and Mac (and Linux).

We already know about the launching issue and we are working on it.
You should join our twitter account @swingswingsub or the game's Steam group if you want to be updated quickly about the situation.

It'll probably be solved in the next hours or days.
Thanks for your patience !

Kafel

Banned
BTM's update is out !

I've lost my save though when I changed my 360 and I have to play it all over again. Well, I don't mind.

Aaron

Chocoboko said:

Go into the game's install directory, and run btm.jar. Worked for me.

Kafel said:
BTM's update is out !

I've lost my save though when I changed my 360 and I have to play it all over again. Well, I don't mind.
Got it this morning! You pretty much have to play the whole adventure mode again anyway for stars, so even losing your save isn't much of a disaster.

mrfolego

Banned
This has enabled the game to work for me
http://steamcommunity.com/games/blocksthatmatter/announcements/detail/1387327810160674841

Hi awesome patient players!

I've just uploaded a big patch archive on our website:

http://swingswingsubmarine.com/BTM_DBG/BTM_UBER_Patch_001_Windows.zip

it contains:
- bin folder
- lib folder
- Prerequisites folder
- BTM_DBG_embedded_jvm_win.bat file
- BTM_launcher_win.exe file
- InstallScript.vdf file

All this stuff need to be uncompressed in the "\Steam\steamapps\common\blocks that matter"

Every file that already exist need to be replaced by the new ones!

I'm running some test myself. But could you please tell me if it works on your computer? If you got the time of course!

You'll need to hit the Steam Play button to install the vc_redist
(or install it manually by launching the "vcredist_x86.exe" by hand, situated in the "blocks that matter\Prerequisites" folder)

Thanks!

I hope this will solve the Windows 7 64bits issues, and the others too!

Now, it's time to eat some Lion!

Guillaume

Holy crap, they've really upped the difficulty on these new bonus levels. I can't even do the first one. I just sat staring at it for about 20 minutes and I still can't even work out where to begin!

Top Bottom