• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

So how do I go about getting to the Queen?
How do the tombstones work?
Should I buy the DLC and tackle that first?

I'm level 83 with +10 mercy and +8 rifle spear.
The Queen is the end boss of the Chalice Dungeons, you don't have to do them all, but certain ones are mandatory to get to her.
http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Yharnam,+Blood+Queen+of+the+Old+Labyrinth

The tombstones work by placing chalices at them, there is a cost of certain materials that you find in the main game and the dungeons themselves. Further Chalices to unlock more dungeon types are also found in the game, insight shop, dungeons themselves, boos drops and shops in the dungeons.

You will want to do the DLC before fighting Gerhman/Moon Presence as it sends you straight to NG+ after and the DLC is pretty challenging for a first playthrough, I wouldn't recommend it on NG+ first time.

I've finally beaten this game fully! Just beat MP and Ebrietas on my second try for both. I feel extremely accomplished ha.

First soulsbourne game I've completed. I think I'll get the dlc soon and tackle that over the weekends next. Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully Bloodborne 2 happens, this was an absolute masterpiece of a game.

Also I've been told to do the dlc before finishing the game, so if you're over level 80, go for it.

Best wishes.

GamingKaiju

The Queen is the end boss of the Chalice Dungeons, you don't have to do them all, but certain ones are mandatory to get to her.
http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Yharnam,+Blood+Queen+of+the+Old+Labyrinth

The tombstones work by placing chalices at them, there is a cost of certain materials that you find in the main game and the dungeons themselves. Further Chalices to unlock more dungeon types are also found in the game, insight shop, dungeons themselves, boos drops and shops in the dungeons.

You will want to do the DLC before fighting Gerhman/Moon Presence as it sends you straight to NG+ after and the DLC is pretty challenging for a first playthrough, I wouldn't recommend it on NG+ first time.

Thanks for the reply 😀

I'm not sure it if affects the ending but I've already used 2 of the umbilical cords without knowing they are needed for the true ending.

Will it matter just as long as I've collected 3 and used 3 of the umbilical cords?

Thanks for the reply 😀

I'm not sure it if affects the ending but I've already used 2 of the umbilical cords without knowing they are needed for the true ending.

Will it matter just as long as I've collected 3 and used 3 of the umbilical cords?

From my understanding as long as you've consumed 3, you're good to go.

Trying to get this game, expecting it to be cheap but I cant find in any game shop in japan and it cost about 60 dollars online. Anytime the digital copy in america goes on sale? like black friday or does it never go on sale?

I killed the Spider which was pretty easy. Very annoying to have his head being the most armored piece of his body which is in total contrast to the Spider boss in Demon's Souls and to the Spider boss in Dark Souls 2. That put me off balance for the first half of the fight.

Martyr is the first boss that is giving me trouble. I need to learn his moveset etc. Reminds me - visually as an enemy - of Nameless King.

I guess it is the endgame stretch after the sky turns red and music changes in the Dream? I'm in the Unseen Village.

cj_iwakura

I killed the Spider which was pretty easy. Very annoying to have his head being the most armored piece of his body which is in total contrast to the Spider boss in Demon's Souls and to the Spider boss in Dark Souls 2. That put me off balance for the first half of the fight.

Martyr is the first boss that is giving me trouble. I need to learn his moveset etc. Reminds me - visually as an enemy - of Nameless King.

I guess it is the endgame stretch after the sky turns red and music changes in the Dream? I'm in the Unseen Village.
Martyr is a lot like the False King Allant. Get lots of viscerals in and he won't buff for the second half. Rips his fangs right out.

Experien

I just got another Bloodborne Platinum email yesterday. I Platinum'd 6+ months ago and already got 2 emails (one with the theme). Why are they sending more? Nothing new seems to be inside in it.

Anyone else get one?

MaKTaiL

I just got another Bloodborne Platinum email yesterday. I Platinum'd 6+ months ago and already got 2 emails (one with the theme). Why are they sending more? Nothing new seems to be inside in it.

Anyone else get one?
I just received one too. I also already had two emails (one for the platinum and the other one for the theme). First one is from April 5th, 2015. Second one is from today.

v5e90WP.png

"You did it. Not many will."

The irony of that statement is that the Souls games tend to have a very high completion level compared to the norm and particularly when considering their difficulty level. Bloodborne has 7% of players with the Platinum which is really high compared to everything that's not notoriously easy, like Gravity Rush Remastered, Jak and Daxter or Telltale games. Heck, Bloodborne's 7% is higher than Demon's Souls (PAL and China) and Dark Souls on PS3.

Anyway, I reckon a few more nights' work and I'll be able to add myself to the number of those who have the Platinum as well. I'm going to go on to Gravity Rush 2 when I'm done and then I'll probably do Horizon Zero Dawn and then by the time I'm done with that I can dedicate some time to learning and exploring Nioh properly.

Fellas I need some non-spoilerish advice - am I at the end of the game?

I cannot enter Hypogean Gaol anymore because... it is now the Unseen Village (Yhargul)? I recognize the cells, the central room etc. It is the same place, right?

I killed Darkbeast Pearl in like 10-seconds and finally opened that Old Yharam shortcut from 30 hours ago.

I also fought the Old One Reborn in this massive, sprawling level which seems like the final level of the game, correct? Took 60% of his health in like 20-secs only to be killed by an off-screen missile. I think I spend like 3 hours in this level and opened most of the shortcuts (can't seem to open one door yet).

I also found some Hunter in the Vicar Amelia's place. Motherfucker is tough as nails.

After I kill the Old One Reborn:

- can I go back to Cainhurst?
- can I go back to Cathedral Ward?
- etc.

Or is it cutscene --> true, final boss of the game?

Just started over even though I never beat the game the first time. I'm having lots more fun this time and am beating bosses in 1 or 2 tries

I cannot enter Hypogean Gaol anymore because... it is now the Unseen Village (Yhargul)? I recognize the cells, the central room etc. It is the same place, right?
Same place yes.

I killed Darkbeast Pearl in like 10-seconds and finally opened that Old Yharam shortcut from 30 hours ago.
Yep, he's a lot easier to kill when you face him later in the game.

- can I go back to Cainhurst?
- can I go back to Cathedral Ward?
Yes to both. There is a key
to Upper Cathedral Ward
in
Yarhargul
it opens
the locked door at the top of the tower that below leads to the real Hunter's Workshop.
- if you haven't got that already. I think the way to get the key is a bit tricky if you are not really attentive looking for a way to get it.

I also fought the Old One Reborn in this massive, sprawling level which seems like the final level of the game, correct? Took 60% of his health in like 20-secs only to be killed by an off-screen missile. I think I spend like 3 hours in this level and opened most of the shortcuts (can't seem to open one door yet).
After the One Reborn boss room, there are steps leading up where you'll find a dude slumped in a chair. Intereact with him to continue. You're not at the end of the game just yet!
And that door you can't open is probably the one for the key I'm referring to above. :)

Jedi2016

All this talk of platinum trophies, and here I am glad to have finally beaten Cleric Beast.. lol.

There's a reason all my Souls videos on YouTube start with "I Suck At..."

MaKTaiL

All this talk of platinum trophies, and here I am glad to have finally beaten Cleric Beast.. lol.

There's a reason all my Souls videos on YouTube start with "I Suck At..."
On my defense I beat almost all bosses with coop. Hahahaha. Still hard though.

Same place yes.

Yep, he's a lot easier to kill when you face him later in the game.

Yes to both. There is a key
to Upper Cathedral Ward
in
Yarhargul
it opens
the locked door at the top of the tower that below leads to the real Hunter's Workshop.
- if you haven't got that already. I think the way to get the key is a bit tricky if you are not really attentive looking for a way to get it.

After the One Reborn boss room, there are steps leading up where you'll find a dude slumped in a chair. Intereact with him to continue. You're not at the end of the game just yet!
And that door you can't open is probably the one for the key I'm referring to above. :)

I'm at the Nurse now. Holy shit at the last level! Yhargul and the Nightmare are CRAZY. Demon's Souls Tower of Latria cage elevators <3 <3 <3

Also fuck that Micolash guy. Took me 1+ hour to kill him, killed me 10+ times easily with his magic blasts. I ran out of blood vials TOTALLY. No joke: hardest boss in the game so far.

Cheesed Keeper of the Old Lords at the end of the first floor of the Defiled Chalice with the Holy Moonlight Sword's R2. I am not ashamed.

I'm at the Nurse now. Holy shit at the last level! Yhargul and the Nightmare are CRAZY. Demon's Souls Tower of Latria cage elevators <3 <3 <3

Also fuck that Micolash guy. Took me 1+ hour to kill him, killed me 10+ times easily with his magic blasts. I ran out of blood vials TOTALLY. No joke: hardest boss in the game so far.

Yeah, it goes full-blown disturbing horror in
Nightmare of Mensis and Nightmare Frontier. The rocks being shaped like screaming faces in Mensis disturbed me
. Probably outdid Tower of Latria first me in terms of under-the-skin horror aesthetic.

void666

Banned
You know you are addicted to bloodborne when you fight
ludwig
twice in the same day with different accounts.

Why is the ludwig holy blade so good? It's pretty much easy mode. On NG+ i've been using burial blade and rakuyo for a change. I'm still not used to its movesets. Rakuyo seems to be very effective but it lacks the "cool" factor.

Defiled Chalice Amygdala is absolutely the worst thing ever. It's not even hard in the good way because you have follow specific patterns and wait for openings but if the camera goes wonky, or you get caught on an edge of the wall of the arena, you get one shotted. I can get to her third form without a problem, but once I'm there I get hit once and am wrecked. I'm having trouble figuring out the best time to attack her during phase three. It doesn't help the fight is a battle of attrition either, it gets old fast. Anyone have any advice?

j0hnnix

I swear my BB is broken. I have had all the weapons and never got the weapons achievement. I am doing ng+3 now to get the torch again to hope it'll fix it.. Is there a way of verifying I had/have all the weapons before I go berserk? I really want to platinum this game and I'm down that achievement.

Defiled Chalice Amygdala is absolutely the worst thing ever. It's not even hard in the good way because you have follow specific patterns and wait for openings but if the camera goes wonky, or you get caught on an edge of the wall of the arena, you get one shotted. I can get to her third form without a problem, but once I'm there I get hit once and am wrecked. I'm having trouble figuring out the best time to attack her during phase three. It doesn't help the fight is a battle of attrition either, it gets old fast. Anyone have any advice?
I just stick to the tail, watch for flailing arms, drop back away from her until she's done, and charge an R2 when she jumps, free aim it at head when she lands - 3 or 4 of those will get a visceral. You're right about positioning, you want to try and keep her away from the walls and in the middle. If you're too close to the wall just run away and get her to follow then go back around to her tail.

It can take time depending on how jumpy she feels, but it's relatively safe. Attacking the tail does barely any damage but it's better than nothing. From memory a knockdown from a flailing arm will not kill you, and that's the only thing that can hit you from that position.

Hmm... the Nightmare Pigs are worth 10k Souls each and are pretty close to bonfire. I earned 70k Souls in like 12 mins.

Also just noticed after what... 50 hours?... that some weapons charged R2 attack do not throw away from you the enemies and you can follow up with a backstab. I always did the Axe charged R2 and it pushes enemies far away from you. I literally did my first backstab on the Nightmare Pig who is turned away from you using the Spinning Blade +9 weapon.

I just stick to the tail, watch for flailing arms, drop back away from her until she's done, and charge an R2 when she jumps, free aim it at head when she lands - 3 or 4 of those will get a visceral. You're right about positioning, you want to try and keep her away from the walls and in the middle. If you're too close to the wall just run away and get her to follow then go back around to her tail.

It can take time depending on how jumpy she feels, but it's relatively safe. Attacking the tail does barely any damage but it's better than nothing. From memory a knockdown from a flailing arm will not kill you, and that's the only thing that can hit you from that position.

Thanks! I feel like the tail method is even harder for me, I have always been terrible at controlling the camera in these games. I have a lot of trouble keeping position by her tail, staying away from the foot stomp and managing the camera.

Hmm... the Nightmare Pigs are worth 10k Souls each and are pretty close to bonfire. I earned 70k Souls in like 12 mins.

Also just noticed after what... 50 hours?... that some weapons charged R2 attack do not throw away from you the enemies and you can follow up with a backstab. I always did the Axe charged R2 and it pushes enemies far away from you. I literally did my first backstab on the Nightmare Pig who is turned away from you using the Spinning Blade +9 weapon.

From the lamp after Micolash in Mensis to just before Mergo's boss is a good place to farm echoes/vials. Equip your moon runes and run up and down it a few times. About 3 runs should get you 300,000-400,000 depending on how many runes you have.

If you are running Chalice Dungeons... Isz Layer 3 is good for farming as well. Throw on your runes for Souls and hit the room with the Celestial Minions and the Werewolves. Usually get a pretty good stock up of Bullets and Vials too.

Thanks! I feel like the tail method is even harder for me, I have always been terrible at controlling the camera in these games. I have a lot of trouble keeping position by her tail, staying away from the foot stomp and managing the camera.
Just remembered I had a YT upload of me killing her for the first time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW965Rrz8Fk

These days I wouldn't have my weapon fully transformed constantly, I'd be using a lot of transform attacks too, but it's basically the same method - hit the tail and wait for jumps, visceral the head.

Just remembered I had a YT upload of me killing her for the first time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW965Rrz8Fk

These days I wouldn't have my weapon fully transformed constantly, I'd be using a lot of transform attacks too, but it's basically the same method - hit the tail and wait for jumps, visceral the head.

I finally figured out the tail method for the third phase is much easier once you figure out the placement. You basically hug her inside right leg and she can't do shit. After eight million hours of struggling, I even beat her without getting hit! I really felt like the fight was unbeatable for me and now I feel like I could do it blindfolded. I can finally stop obsessing over this stupid game and get on with my life! Thanks for your help!

I finally figured out the tail method for the third phase is much easier once you figure out the placement. You basically hug her inside right leg and she can't do shit. After eight million hours of struggling, I even beat her without getting hit! I really felt like the fight was unbeatable for me and now I feel like I could do it blindfolded. I can finally stop obsessing over this stupid game and get on with my life! Thanks for your help!
Now prepared to be let down with the rest of the Chalice bosses leading to the (and kind of including) the Queen. Kind of easy from this point on.

Now prepared to be let down with the rest of the Chalice bosses leading to the (and kind of including) the Queen. Kind of easy from this point on.

Ha! Honestly, after dealing with Amygdala for the past couple of days, I'll take easy. I have to save some of my patience for Nioh.

Tail method for Amy is nonsense. Takes forever and it's not even that safer. Plus it's boring as hell.

It's not worth attempting for the first two phases because of the low damage and the fact her patterns are super easy to learn, but it works perfectly in phase three once she rips her arms off. That was the part where I was hitting a wall and dying. It doesn't matter anyway because I never have to do that fight again if don't want to!

Tail method for Amy is nonsense. Takes forever and it's not even that safer. Plus it's boring as hell.
Honestly I've not faced the boss enough to know any other method. I've done the Defiled one about 3 or 4 times ever and the main game one I always face so late it takes seconds to kill her any method.

Had a go at
Ludwig
by myself last night and got destroyed. First half of the battle isn't too bad, but when he
got his sword
he just wiped the floor with me. Any good tactics? Admittedly I've only fought him twice so haven't had a chance to work out attack patterns and so on.

Had a go at
Ludwig
by myself last night and got destroyed. First half of the battle isn't too bad, but when he
got his sword
he just wiped the floor with me. Any good tactics? Admittedly I've only fought him twice so haven't had a chance to work out attack patterns and so on.

Circle around him all the time! Especially when he starts his charged sword beam attack which is totally deadly. Overall I think this is the "easy" part in contrast to his beast mode.

void666

Banned
I think second phase is much easier than 1st. It's easy to dodge his swings. And when he charges his sword you have plenty of time to run away.

Milijango

Had a go at
Ludwig
got his sword

Unlike the posters above I do think his second phase is much harder (on my no-levelling run it accounted for about 80% of my deaths to him). His telegraphs are short, and it's easy to underestimate the length of his combos. There are no safe zones in that phase; he will always be able to hit you with a fast attack no matter where you are relative to him.

As such, my advice is to always stick close to him, strafe + dodge to his left, and only attack/heal when you know a combo has finished. Try to never use two blood vials at once because very few of his attacks actually give you enough time to do so. Once you get more familiar you'll start to figure out which combos give you lots of time to attack, which ones are traps, and which ones will straight up miss you if you're in the right position.

His charged wave attack, while seemingly super dangerous, is actually the perfect time to go crazy offensive. The first hit of it does meager damage which you can easy rally back. Then it's just a matter of stepping to the side at the last second to avoid the most powerful part of the attack. With a fast weapon you can land 5-6 hits during this move - just make sure you have some stamina left at the end.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Had a go at
Ludwig
got his sword
Watch his sword like a hawk, and don't commit yourself to attacking back after a dodge until you're sure he is done attacking. Stay close to him. You generally want to dodge diagonally towards him, directly through his swings (for example, if you see a swing that goes from right to left from your perspective, you should dodge right). Dodging straight backwards is almost always a bad idea for him because he has excellent range and the extra distance usually don't take you to safety.

His second phase rewards calculated play rather than aggressive/reckless play (much like the way he fights in this form!), because he can kill you in one combo if you make a big mistake. Don't panic if you take one big hit, because you can still dodge and recover as long as you successfully dodge the rest of the hits in his combo.

Mash dodge if you get knocked down, because you can get up faster that way. It might keep him from landing finishing blows on you while you're down.

I figured out how to deal with the Frenzy in Micolash area on my own. Very, very, VERY satisfying.

I also went down with the cage elevator to get my revenge on that PIECE OF SHIT. I was down there before not knowing what is this area for ??? and kept it in my mind. When I saw the cutscene.................. flashbacks to the beating heart in Tower of Latria 3-2 flooded me........ I knew what had to be done.

Also got my first Titanite Slab! err... you know how it's called here. I can either upgrade Axe or Spinning Blades Saw to +10. Hmm... decisions. Can also take any other single weapon and upgrade it fully to +10 but only one i.e. Kirkhammer, Ludwig's Holy Blade, Armygadala Arm etc. Decisions, decisions.

All in all the Nightmare is for me the single best level in Bloodborne followed by Forbidden Woods. Oppresive, full of secrets, shortcuts and ugliest/ scariest enemies in the entire game. And the Frenzy level arc is just icing on the cake.

Not my art:

b440e4ce113b7f8f4e45c6136bc0fe08.jpg

GRANT US EYES!

cj_iwakura

I figured out how to deal with the Frenzy in Micolash area on my own. Very, very, VERY satisfying.

I also went down with the cage elevator to get my revenge on that PIECE OF SHIT. I was down there before not knowing what is this area for ??? and kept it in my mind. When I saw the cutscene.................. flashbacks to the beating heart in Tower of Latria 3-2 flooded me........ I knew what had to be done.

Also got my first Titanite Slab! err... you know how it's called here. I can either upgrade Axe or Spinning Blades Saw to +10. Hmm... decisions. Can also take any other single weapon and upgrade it fully to +10 but only one i.e. Kirkhammer, Ludwig's Holy Blade, Armygadala Arm etc. Decisions, decisions.

All in all the Nightmare is for me the single best level in Bloodborne followed by Forbidden Woods. Oppresive, full of secrets, shortcuts and ugliest/ scariest enemies in the entire game. And the Frenzy level arc is just icing on the cake.

Not my art:

b440e4ce113b7f8f4e45c6136bc0fe08.jpg

GRANT US EYES!

I got through the frenzy and that level without ever finding the secret. I just ran.

Then I backtracked and found it. Fun times.

Top Bottom