• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I hate rom so much. Sometimes he (or she?) is so easy. Sometimes he kicks my ass. I'm being one shot all the time by him or his spiders. Maybe i need more HP (742).
If i had the chance to heal i would kill him easily.
Have you tried one cycling him?
All of Rom's attacks have huge tells so as long as you keep him
And thanks guys but i'll try to beat him on my own. I just need to git gud.
The old ones had pity on me. Killed rom in one cycle. He didn't even try to teleport. I had only 7 insight left.
*she

I did them all as well. They're addictive and challenging. The Isz bosses aren't that bad, but there's a certain room with several enemies that's pretty hard. It has
werewolves, brainsuckers and laser shooting celestials.

I just got to this room and lost like 200K Blood Echoes, haha. I think I'm going to take a break for a bit, I can only handle so much abuse.

Making my way through Yahar'Gul at the moment. It's a pretty taxing area, because you're constantly rushing to find the Bell Summoners or whatever they're called, and the atmosphere in the whole place is just creepy as fuck. Having the
giant silent Amygdalas holding on to the buildings
all around the place doesn't help. Didn't have time to get to the boss so I'll finish up tomorrow night.

Kinsei

Banned
Bloodletting Beast was disappointing. It felt like it should have been in a depth 1 chalice dungeon with reduced stats instead of a depth 3 one.

Only 200k. I learned to shake off those loses back in Demons lol.

Yeah, I've played through all the other Souls games too. At this point in the game they're mostly meaningless, but it still hurts my pride when I die before I can retrieve them. I didn't even manage make it into the room where I lost them... that's always when I know I need a break.

void666

Banned
I can't believe how easier the DLC is on NG. When i tried on NG+ i was being destroyed by regular enemies.
I've yet to fight a boss though.

Finished Yahar'Gul last night and defeated
The One Reborn
on my first try. I love the cutscene where
it's summoned by the Chime Maidens and falls out of the sky

Made my way into the
Nightmare of Mensis
, and holy shit I immediately felt out of my depth! Those
Silverbeasts
aren't too bad on their own, but fighting them while trying to avoid
the Frenzy 'pulse' from the tower
is a nuisance, and unless you kill them with a visceral attack they
spawn those goddamn Hateful Maggots
or whatever they're called, which are always a pain to kill. I went away and did some levelling up, upgraded my axe to +9 (thanks to loads of Bloodstone Chunks in Yahar'Gul) and I think I'll do a Chalice Dungeon or two before I go back there.

I also went to Upper Cathedral Ward and got destroyed by the first two Church Doctors - they're much harder than the ones downstairs! I had about 90k Blood Echoes on me at the time, but luckily I managed to retrieve them. Didn't go back there yet, but may return before I go back to
Nightmare of Mensis

Edit - also, I love that I'm getting more into straight horror elements, but goddamn it can be draining to play. I had to go and play Gravity Rush 2 after this as I needed something upbeat and positive before going to bed!

Edit 2 - also, is there an in-game timer? I'd like to know how long I've been playing.

Melchiah

Made my way into the
Nightmare of Mensis
, and holy shit I immediately felt out of my depth! Those
Silverbeasts
aren't too bad on their own, but fighting them while trying to avoid
the Frenzy 'pulse' from the tower
is a nuisance, and unless you kill them with a visceral attack they
spawn those goddamn Hateful Maggots
or whatever they're called, which are always a pain to kill.

You can
lure the Silverbeasts out in the open, where they'll be killed by frenzy.

void666

Banned
I did nightmare of mensis last night. In the beginning i just ignored everything and ran to the shortcut. This is something i'm not too fond of in souls games. This is area is filled with such bullshit. You're better off just running away from everything. After having opened the first shortcut i explored the rest of the area normally.

I did nightmare of mensis last night. In the beginning i just ignored everything and ran to the shortcut. This is something i'm not too fond of in souls games. This is area is filled with such bullshit. You're better off just running away from everything. After having opened the first shortcut i explored the rest of the area normally.

it's the frenzy. i hate it and don't think it's needed. it would be fine without it because i kept dying to the enemies there without the help of it but oh no let's add frenzy! thankfully after that it's likely you'll only encounter frenzy one more time and that's if you have the DLC. god i hated the fishing hamlet

Kinsei

Banned
Ailing Loran is down! I think I'll wait until the endgame before taking on the defiled chalice. Fuck having my HP reduced by half.

it's the frenzy. i hate it and don't think it's needed. it would be fine without it because i kept dying to the enemies there without the help of it but oh no let's add frenzy! thankfully after that it's likely you'll only encounter frenzy one more time and that's if you have the DLC. god i hated the fishing hamlet

The fishing hamlet is the best area in the game IMO.

void666

Banned

I had low insight and it was still a pain to get through.

By the way, what's the point of having high insight? Does it affecting anything in a positive way?

Anyone here run a STR/ARC build?

I started a playthrough of this and I'm relatively early on it - but I can't seem to find what is more optimal - STR 25/ARC 50 or STR 50/ARC 25.

I started a playthrough of this and I'm relatively early on it - but I can't seem to find what is more optimal - STR 25/ARC 50 or STR 50/ARC 25.

I am, sort of. I focused on strength, but now that I am using and loving the Holy Moonlight Sword, I am starting to pump up my ARC. Personally, I think focusing on strength early on is great if you want to be super powerful, especially if you get the DLC weapons like the Whirligig Saw and Beast Cutter early. Those two were my go to through most of the game and they are an awesome combo. Weapons that are specifically STR/ARC based like the Wheel and Tonitrus aren't really my thing, but the HMS is awesome.

Ultimately, it depends on what weapons you want to use and if you want to use spells (hunter tools or whatever they're called) and the HMS projectiles. It also depends on if you're setting yourself a level limit for co-op and PVP. If you're going to go past 110, go all the way to STR 50/ARC 50. I realized I'm not going to do much multiplayer with this character, so that's what I'm going for now.

Depends a lot if you have the DLC, Tonitrus is maybe the only weapon who uses ARC in the entire game without going to chalices , Hunter Spells are kinda late game so you will probably rely on blades of mercy that have good SKLL/ARC scaling or your starter weapons for a good time.

If you have the DLC there are more ARC weapons there like the bloodletter, boomhammer and Moonlight sword.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think that place is really interesting in how it uses the frenzy. I think the game designers knew that it's a pain in the ass to deal with, so the level is designed in a way that makes you only deal with it for a small portion of the area.

All the enemy resting spots are blind spots to the frenzy, so they highlight where you can stand and fight safely. They get hurt by frenzy too, if you lure them out of those spots, so you can kill something to take their safe spot, then lure enemies out of their safe spots so that they get softened up by frenzy before they fight you. The enemies also don't spawn snake adds if you kill them with a visceral attack, which encourages a stand-still-and-parry fighting style, which may force you to play differently to deal with the frenzy.

Or you can just run straight across the bridge. That works too, and that's pretty much what I did after a while.

I hear that ARC scales better the more you have it, so you probably want to eventually get 50 or more ARC if you plan to fight with it. Though I dunno how lower ARC works if you want to have it just supplementing a mostly melee fighting style.

Arcane builds are slow starters in the game because they rely on getting good bloodgems, plus a lot of the good arc weapons and tools come later in the game. I also hope you have the DLC, because there are some incredibly useful ARC weapons in there.

Depends a lot if you have the DLC, Tonitrus is maybe the only weapon who uses ARC in the entire game without going to chalices , Hunter Spells are kinda late game so you will probably rely on blades of mercy that have good SKLL/ARC scaling or your starter weapons for a good time.

If you have the DLC there are more ARC weapons there like the bloodletter, boomhammer and Moonlight sword.

Your avatar is amazing!

Bloodletter is BT not ARC. I thought it was ARC too, and was getting excited to use it until I double checked. :(

The Moonlight sword is still amazing though and worth at least putting 15 points in ARC to try out IMO. I was trying to resist its charms until I realized how satisfying it was to knock down brain suckers in the chalice dungeons with the L2. You'll never steal my insight again!

Ferr986

Depends if you want to base your playstyle about weapons or hunter tools

50STR/25ARC if you want to use a weapon like Moonlight Blade or Tonitrus (hell, MLG is closer to a quality).

60ARC/25STR if you want to take the most out of the hunter tools.

Managed to get through the first part of Nightmare of Mensis and took down Micolash. Decent-ish boss fight, but I love his design. He reminds me of a Cenobite from Hellraiser. Made my way up, but those massive many-eyed boars are proving troublesome. One alone is fine, but the pair of them were just pounding me. That's me done for tonight, so I'll finish up tomorrow.

Managed to get through the first part of Nightmare of Mensis and took down Micolash. Decent-ish boss fight, but I love his design. He reminds me of a Cenobite from Hellraiser. Made my way up, but those massive many-eyed boars are proving troublesome. One alone is fine, but the pair of them were just pounding me. That's me done for tonight, so I'll finish up tomorrow.
Not a spoiler per se but a tip on how to cheese them:
Just past them are a bunch of Shadows of Yarnham who are hostile against the piggies, so run past them all, watch the fun and pick off whomever is left! This is also a great non-Chalice Dungeon farming spot!

Milijango

I hear that ARC scales better the more you have it, so you probably want to eventually get 50 or more ARC if you plan to fight with it. Though I dunno how lower ARC works if you want to have it just supplementing a mostly melee fighting style.

Arcane builds are slow starters in the game because they rely on getting good bloodgems, plus a lot of the good arc weapons and tools come later in the game. I also hope you have the DLC, because there are some incredibly useful ARC weapons in there.

Arcane scaling on weapons works in exactly the same way as scaling for other stats - it's only when you get to Hunter Tools (Executioner Gloves, Augur of Ebrietas, etc.) that it gets complicated. In short, it's worth investing points into Arcane all the way to the max (99) if you use a lot of spells. If you don't then there's no need to go past 50 even if your weapon has good arcane scaling.

I had low insight and it was still a pain to get through.

By the way, what's the point of having high insight? Does it affecting anything in a positive way?

Mechanically it's purely to your detriment outside of allowing you to summon. It does allow you to perceive some cosmetic changes to the environment before they're supposed to occur in the story, though.

On the load game screen - you might not see it if you just select continue and go straight into your last game, but it shows if you pick the other option to select a save game.

Thanks for this. I've played 30 hours now. Thought it's be a bit more, to be honest.

Not a spoiler per se but a tip on how to cheese them:
Just past them are a bunch of Shadows of Yarnham who are hostile against the piggies, so run past them all, watch the fun and pick off whomever is left! This is also a great non-Chalice Dungeon farming spot!

Cool; I will give this a try tonight. It was late and I was trying to rush through, and kept making mistakes against the big ol' bastards. I will try to lure them into attacking one another instead!

sneak up behind the first pig and you will get an easy visceral on it. walk up to the next 2. the one of the right will spot you first so when it does start backing off or you'll end up fighting both them at the same time. just try stay behind them and visceral their ass.

or you could deal with the first one then jump down to go the other way which will put you further up from the other 2 where the shadow dudes are. you can get them to fight the pigs.

running up and down this area is great for farming echoes. even better with moon runes! i think one run is about 150,000 with all 3 runes. i did it a few times and got 600,000. that's from the lantern right up to just before the boss area.

sneak up behind the first pig and you will get an easy visceral on it. walk up to the next 2. the one of the right will spot you first so when it does start backing off or you'll end up fighting both them at the same time. just try stay behind them and visceral their ass.

or you could deal with the first one then jump down to go the other way which will put you further up from the other 2 where the shadow dudes are. you can get them to fight the pigs.

running up and down this area is great for farming echoes. even better with moon runes! i think one run is about 150,000 with all 3 runes. i did it a few times and got 600,000. that's from the lantern right up to just before the boss area.

Great stuff, thanks. Looking at the wiki I must have one or two Moon Runes by now, but I haven't really bothered with any runes except for highest damage output, so I'll have a look into that tonight.

Melchiah

To my recollection, you get about 100k echoes on the first playthrough, and 290k on NG+, with three Moon runes.

void666

Banned
Eh... i assumed runes didn't stack. I was using only the stronger moon rune. Time to reopen my piggie farm.

Mechanically it's purely to your detriment outside of allowing you to summon. It does allow you to perceive some cosmetic changes to the environment before they're supposed to occur in the story, though.

Ignorance is bliss i guess. Thank you.

Melchiah

Eh... i assumed runes didn't stack. I was using only the stronger moon rune. Time to reopen my piggie farm.

It goes for all runes, like using all three Clawmark runes to increase visceral damage, or stacking up frenzy resistance with others.

Kinsei

Banned
I forgot how much of a joke Logarius is if you parry him. The dude can't do anything for you. Even the Pthumerian Elder is harder to parry than Logarius.

Now that I have my main weapon at +9 and my sub weapon at +8 I think I'll take on the defiled chalice.

A few days later - still haven't been able to put down the
Bloody Crow of Cainhurst
or
Ludwig
on either my Quality build nor my Bloodtinge build :( .

Is the Hunter Rune good or should I just kill Eileen? I want that Crowfeather Garb!

Kinsei

Banned
A few days later - still haven't been able to put down the
Bloody Crow of Cainhurst
or
Ludwig
on either my Quality build nor my Bloodtinge build :( .

Is the Hunter Rune good or should I just kill Eileen? I want that Crowfeather Garb!

It increases your stamina regen by 10%. It's easily the best covenant rune for SP.

It increases your stamina regen by 10%. It's easily the best covenant rune for SP.

Damnit I was hoping you would say that the regen wasn't noticeable :(. I'll give it a few more shots, getting one-shotted by a surprise visceral when I have him at 20-30%health over and over is crushing my soul.

Beat
Nightmare of Mensis
and I'm on my way through the Upper Cathedral Ward. Literally had just reached
Celestial Emmissary
when my son woke so I had to come up to settle him, but I managed to save mid-fight so I'll finish it off tomorrow.

I've just had the
doll tell me that Gehrman is waiting for me
, so I'm assuming things are wrapping up now and I should clean up as much as possible and do the DLC and Chalice Dungeons? I'm still missing a lot of trophies so I might see what I can clean up without having to delve into NG+ if necessary.

Kinsei

Banned
Beat
Nightmare of Mensis
and I'm on my way through the Upper Cathedral Ward. Literally had just reached
Celestial Emmissary
when my son woke so I had to come up to settle him, but I managed to save mid-fight so I'll finish it off tomorrow.

I've just had the
doll tell me that Gehrman is waiting for me
, so I'm assuming things are wrapping up now and I should clean up as much as possible and do the DLC and Chalice Dungeons? I'm still missing a lot of trophies so I might see what I can clean up without having to delve into NG+ if necessary.

Yep, you're at the end game.
Talking to Gherman
is the point of no return so it's time for you to do all the side content you didn't do and the DLC.

GHG

Her rune is pretty good for skill builds

I'm of the opinion that throwing points into stamina and using anti clockwise metamorphosis runes is a far more effective way of utilising skill based weapons. It will allow you to stun lock enemies far more effectively and still have some stamina left to get out in order to allow your stamina to replenish. The stamina recovery increase from Eileen's rune only seems to come into effect once your stamina is completely depleted which isn't something you should be doing anyway if you are any good at the game.

If I had known how shit the rune was before embarking on her questline I would have killed her upon our first meeting to get all the badge early.

I just killed Eileen on my STR/ARC character - loving the garb.

Btw, I'm not a PS+ user - I don't generally play my PS4 enough to warrant a $50 online subscription - do I need it for chalice dungeon farming? I want to get more Blood Chunks and Lost/Uncanny weapons but I really don't know the first thing about chalice dungeons other than that they house these items.

Milijango

I just killed Eileen on my STR/ARC character - loving the garb.

Btw, I'm not a PS+ user - I don't generally play my PS4 enough to warrant a $50 online subscription - do I need it for chalice dungeon farming? I want to get more Blood Chunks and Lost/Uncanny weapons but I really don't know the first thing about chalice dungeons other than that they house these items.

Without PS+ you're basically crossing your fingers to get the stuff you want and the material requirements for generating new dungeons is steep (reproducing other people's dungeons is free but can't be done offline).

It's just not worth it IMO unless progressing through dungeons is its own reward for you.

Melchiah

You can buy all the DLC weapon variants from the Messenger shop in the 3rd layer of the Ihyll chalice.

EDIT: It's a long way there though, if you're just starting to go through the chalcies, since it's the last one, and you have to go through the Defiled chalice first.

Internet at work was down this morning so I spent a while looking through the Bloodborne wiki on my phone to see what else I need to do before I finish the game. I'm currently on the
Celestial Emissary
and then I'll go on to the next part of Upper Cathedral Ward, and then go and do Nightmare Frontier, which is the only area in the main game I haven't visited yet. I've done a couple of Chalice Dungeons so I'll finish whatever's left and then go on to do The Old Hunters DLC. I also estimate I need about 300k Blood Echoes to buy the remaining Weapons, Firearms and Tools, although some variants are found in the Chalice Dungeons so I'll probably run through those first. I also know
there are choices at the end although I don't know exactly what they entail, so I will probably save to the cloud before going to the final boss
and I can re-download that save if necessary.

Top Bottom