• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Milijango

You can buy all the DLC weapon variants from the Messenger shop in the 3rd layer of the Ihyll chalice.

EDIT: It's a long way there though, if you're just starting to go through the chalcies, since it's the last one, and you have to go through the Defiled chalice first.

You can buy the DLC weapon variants from any messenger shop within a chalice dungeon - even if it's a Depth 1 Root Chalice (though you will need to get lucky and have one spawn). The only prerequisite is that you need to have obtained the regular version of that weapon in the DLC beforehand.

I'm not sure if which of the non-root chalices have messenger baths, if any.

Melchiah

You can buy the DLC weapon variants from any messenger shop within a chalice dungeon - even if it's a Depth 1 Root Chalice (though you will need to get lucky and have one spawn). The only prerequisite is that you need to have obtained the regular version of that weapon in the DLC beforehand.

I'm not sure if which of the non-root chalices have messenger baths, if any.

Ah, I didn't know that, since the Ihyll shop is the only one I've visited after playing through the DLC.

Here's a list of the locations:
http://www.bloodborne-wiki.com/2015/04/chalice-bath-messengers.html
  • Lower Hintertomb Labyrinth Layer Three: top of ladder on Upper Floors
  • Lower Pthumerian Labyrinth Layer Four: hidden passage behind the wall in right room from the lever room
  • Lower Loran Layer Three: small room on Lower Floors
  • Isz Gravestone Layer Three: in front of lever room
  • Pthumeru Ihyll Layer Three: next to ladder from balconies on Upper Floors
  • Root Dungeons: Pthumeru Root | 8i29rqz3

Holy wow @ Forbidden Woods.

It's basically a better, vertical version of Farron Keep swamp from DS3.

Still can't get over how it is all connected simply via 2 tall windmills: from the humble beginnings with the dogs to the snake monsters, UFO aliens, huge pigs infested waters.

The boss was... not surprising after playing all other Souls games but kind of hard. Managed to kill the 3 Shadows with exactly 0 Estus and 20% health left on my first and only try!!!

Forwards to Byrgenweth!

EDIT: It took me 4 hours to explore this place top to bottom. Still have to do the Worm Cave with those Giants.

Holy wow @ Forbidden Woods.

It's basically a better, vertical version of Farron Keep swamp from DS3.

Still can't get over how it is all connected simply via 2 tall windmills: from the humble beginnings with the dogs to the snake monsters, UFO aliens, huge pigs infested waters.

The boss was... not surprising after playing all other Souls games but kind of hard. Managed to kill the 3 Shadows with exactly 0 Estus and 20% health left on my first and only try!!!

Forwards to Byrgenweth!

EDIT: It took me 4 hours to explore this place top to bottom. Still have to do the Worm Cave with those Giants.

Forbidden Woods is great. Probably my favourite area in the game (so far). It's one of the bigger areas, it's really easy to get lost and the atmosphere is incredible. I love how it goes from woodland, through the village, then down to the snake areas and it just keeps on getting more complex and more intense. It's probably the first part of the game where the enemy design starts to feel properly horrific and messed up too, IMO.

Forbidden Woods is great. Probably my favourite area in the game (so far). It's one of the bigger areas, it's really easy to get lost and the atmosphere is incredible. I love how it goes from woodland, through the village, then down to the snake areas and it just keeps on getting more complex and more intense. It's probably the first part of the game where the enemy design starts to feel properly horrific and messed up too, IMO.

And it connects to... the Clinic?!? Of all places?!?

What in the world. This is Dark Souls 1 level of interconnectivity! INCREDIBLE.

Thank you for not spoiling this for me BTW. I literally discovered it 2 minutes ago.

Thank you for not spoiling this for me BTW. I literally discovered it 2 minutes ago.

Oh, you've only just begun to go down a really neat optional storypath... if you can find the way...

Yeah, the way the world always seems to connect back to itself is so clever. Boggles my mind how they do it, but it's a great effect regardless.

Kinsei

Banned
The defiled chalice wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. The second boss was super stressful though.

Defeated
Celestial Emissary
and
Ebritas, Daughter of the Cosmos
last night. Then made my way to
Nightmare Frontier
and was about 4/5 through the level (just one more area to pass through
to reach the tower
which I assume is where the boss is) and I had to turn it off as it was really late. I'll head back into the DLC when I'm done here.

I've watched a couple of 'Things you need to know about Chalice Dungeons' videos on YouTube, and one thing I'm not sure about - if I go into a Chalice Dungeon created by someone else, do I still need the materials like Ritual Blood etc? Or is that only when creating one of my own? Not sure I can be bothered with the Chalice Dungeons to be honest, but on the other hand I would quite like to go for the Platinum in this.

Milijango

Defeated
Celestial Emissary
and
Ebritas, Daughter of the Cosmos
last night. Then made my way to
Nightmare Frontier
and was about 4/5 through the level (just one more area to pass through
to reach the tower
which I assume is where the boss is) and I had to turn it off as it was really late. I'll head back into the DLC when I'm done here.

I've watched a couple of 'Things you need to know about Chalice Dungeons' videos on YouTube, and one thing I'm not sure about - if I go into a Chalice Dungeon created by someone else, do I still need the materials like Ritual Blood etc? Or is that only when creating one of my own? Not sure I can be bothered with the Chalice Dungeons to be honest, but on the other hand I would quite like to go for the Platinum in this.

You don't need any materials to enter someone else's chalice. However, you cannot open those chalices until you have created the same type of chalice at least once.

void666

Banned
My journey is almost over. Two DLC bosses left and then the main game last boss. No more places to explore which is sad. Exploration is what i love the most about these games.

Bloodborne is one of my favorite games ever. I wish i could experience it for the first time again.

My journey is almost over. Two DLC bosses left and then the main game last boss. No more places to explore which is sad. Exploration is what i love the most about these games.

Bloodborne is one of my favorite games ever. I wish i could experience it for the first time again.

What about try Dark Souls 3 later?

Milijango

No need to grind. Just doing each fixed dungeon should give you the materials you need.

Generally you should expect to need to grind Ritual Blood. To try and cut down on that kill the bodybag enemies as soon as you spot them since they have a decent drop rate.

Kindekuma

Banned
I beat Bloodborne for the first time last night, so I waited all this time until I could finally post in this OT since I wanted to go as blind as possible during my run through.

I LOVED this game, man. Absolutely one of my top favorites. In my playthrough I completed all the optional areas and their bosses, as well as completing the DLC. I also got the true ending as well by consuming three of the umbilical cords. That was the only thing I really checked on because I heard the game restarts to NG+ after beating it. So making sure I could get the true ending was something I had to research up on.

Ended the game at level 90, and so far I died the most to Orphan of Kos. Rom takes a close second. However many of the bosses I managed to beat in one go. My build was mostly in Strength, Vitality, and Skill with some focus in Stamina. I got really good at parrying and viscerals by the end.

The only thing I really didn't do was the Chalice Dungeons. I hear there's unique bosses in them and some rehashes of the others. A NG+ run is something I'm yet to consider.

I already did. I'm waiting for the next DLC to start over. But honestly i think DS3 was forgettable. Like literally. I can't remember a thing about that game.

Don't tell me that... or do, actually.

I am on Throne Watcher and Throne Defender in DS2 right now. Been thinking about picking up DS3 but also thinking about running through BB again in the gap before Horizon's release at the end of the month.

Kinsei

Banned
Don't tell me that... or do, actually.

I am on Throne Watcher and Throne Defender in DS2 right now. Been thinking about picking up DS3 but also thinking about running through BB again in the gap before Horizon's release at the end of the month.

Dark Souls 3 has some amazing level design and one of the best bosses in the series but it suffers because none of it feels truly original. Almost everything in DS3 is a new version of something from the other Souls games.

If you don't own it then I still recommend you buy it.

void666

Banned
Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying DS3 is a bad game. It's a great game.
But it's more of the same. A "the best of dark souls". But since it doesn't have, IMHO memorable moments i just can't remember much about it.

But if you enjoy souls games, play it.

Unrelated bloodborne DLC spoilers:

Laurence down. What a pain in the ass that guy was.
Only orphan of kos left. Oh and those shark guys.

Ugh. The Chalice Dungeons are so crap. The level design is very weak and it's really repetitive with layouts and enemies. Making my way through them before moving to the endgame. Also need to return to the DLC and finish that up.

Landford

Banned
Started playing this this week for the first time after borrowing a PS4 from a friend, amazing level design and art as always from the Souls series. But cant help to notice how much of Bloodborne ideas were just shoehorned into Souls 3.

Spoilers for Dark Souls III and Bloodborne "home base" locations: *To be more specific, the "The Source of the Dream" Achievment
So the idea that there are two versions of the Firelink Shrine, one that is dead and dark
Came straight from Bloodborne? Like, its the same thing? Just
copied
? Myazaki was lazy as hell if that is the case.

Milijango

Started playing this this week for the first time after borrowing a PS4 from a friend, amazing level design and art as always from the Souls series. But cant help to notice how much of Bloodborne ideas were just shoehorned into Souls 3.

Spoilers for Dark Souls III and Bloodborne "home base" locations: *To be more specific, the "The Source of the Dream" Achievment
So the idea that there are two versions of the Firelink Shrine, one that is dead and dark
Came straight from Bloodborne? Like, its the same thing? Just
copied
? Myazaki was lazy as hell if that is the case.

It certainly seems that way. The lore behind the two occurrences is quite different but the familiarity of the basic idea is undeniable.

There are a lot of enemy models and animations that are obviously shared by the two games; for instance, Bloodborne's Yharnamite mobs and Executioners are very similar to Dark Souls 3's Undead Settlers and Winged Knights, respectively.

The only thing I really didn't do was the Chalice Dungeons. I hear there's unique bosses in them and some rehashes of the others. A NG+ run is something I'm yet to consider.

Ugh. The Chalice Dungeons are so crap. The level design is very weak and it's really repetitive with layouts and enemies. Making my way through them before moving to the endgame. Also need to return to the DLC and finish that up.

The Chalice Dungeons are just a bunch of prefab rooms stringed together procedurally with semi-random enemies and loot. The appeal, if any, is that the enemy designs are seen nowhere else (and some of them are neat) and Bloodborne plays so well that doing anything in it is at least somewhat engaging. Depth 5 Root Chalices are also by far the most difficult content in any Souls game if that happens to be your thing. The dungeons do contain lore (though it's particularly difficult to decipher), a unique weapon, two unique outfits, and multiple unique bosses of highly variable quality.

Landford

Banned
It certainly seems that way. The lore behind the two occurrences is quite different but the familiarity of the basic idea is undeniable.

There are a lot of enemy models and animations that are obviously shared by the two games; for instance, Bloodborne's Yharnamite mobs and Executioners are very similar to Dark Souls 3's Undead Settlers and Winged Knights, respectively.

Thats...disapointing. 3 Was already very tiring in how much it retreaded ground from DS1, and now it seens some of its fresher ideas were actually retreads from BB.

On another note, the art design is BB is astonishing. Is really miles ahead of what I played from the other games. The cathedral in particular, going bit by bit getting more
HP Lovecraft
themed is amazing, and really provoke the same dread their inspiration did. Im currently on the
Forbidden Woods
, Im like what, two thirds of the game?

Other Question: Is Higher Insight making me hear things?

Milijango

Thats...disapointing. 3 Was already very tiring in how much it retreaded ground from DS1, and now it seens some of its fresher ideas were actually retreads from BB.

On another note, the art design is BB is astonishing. Is really miles ahead of what I played from the other games. The cathedral in particular, going bit by bit getting more
P Lovecraft
themed is amazing, and really inspire the same dread their inspiration did. Im currently on the
Forbidden Woods
, Im like what, two thirds of the game?

It's gorgeous, isn't it?

There are tons of optional areas that splinter off Cathedral Ward, so you could be anywhere from 1/4 to 2/3 of the way through. The critical path of Bloodborne is pretty short compared to the Dark Souls games, but there are twice as many optional bosses as there are mandatory ones.

Other Question: Is Higher Insight making me hear things?

Depends on what you're hearing.

Was Hemwick boss a joke or what? Almost died in one combo. Smh.

Also I read the Coach Letter and tried by the crossing. Nope, nothing. I even sit down for 5 minutes knowing the shit FROM expects you to do i.e. entering the sarcophagus to meet Nito in DS1 or sitting down to enter Dragon Ruins in DS3. Nope, nothing happened. Then on my way back from the Boss - just to check it out one last time - boom, Coach arrives. Yes!

Is it just me or is Cainhurst a difficulty spike? Everything takes 5-6 hits to kill instead of Hemwicks 1-2 hits and the Spider Ladies from Ludwig's Blood River hit like a truck. I guess it has to be more difficult as I saw Bloodstone Chunks lying here and there. I managed to open the shortcut elevator and then ran back killing everything back to the main gate. It's not hard as "I died there" but kind of hard as I need to hit enemies a couple of times and drank 12 Estus between start and shortcut.

Also I think I know who will be the boss here based on Cainhurst items' descriptions and the fact that I once saw Lobos Jr fighting him on SL1 for 2-3 hours: Martyr Logarius on the rooftops. Can't wait to meet him and try this fight!

I can go in 4 different directions right now:

- Byrgenweth
- Cainhurst further up
- Hypogean Gaol
- DLC's Nightmare x2

I am using Axe +8 and Spinning Saw +6 when Axe breaks. Never fired a single bullet.

Game is absolutely amazing and tied with Demon's Souls for now.

Was Hemwick boss a joke or what? Almost died in one combo. Smh.

Also I read the Coach Letter and tried by the crossing. Nope, nothing. I even sit down for 5 minutes knowing the shit FROM expects you to do i.e. entering the sarcophagus to meet Nito in DS1 or sitting down to enter Dragon Ruins in DS3. Nope, nothing happened. Then on my way back from the Boss - just to check it out one last time - boom, Coach arrives. Yes!

Is it just me or is Cainhurst a difficulty spike? Everything takes 5-6 hits to kill instead of Hemwicks 1-2 hits and the Spider Ladies from Ludwig's Blood River hit like a truck. I guess it has to be more difficult as I saw Bloodstone Chunks lying here and there. I managed to open the shortcut elevator and then ran back killing everything back to the main gate. It's not hard as "I died there" but kind of hard as I need to hit enemies a couple of times and drank 12 Estus between start and shortcut.

Also I think I know who will be the boss here based on Cainhurst items' descriptions and the fact that I once saw Lobos Jr fighting him on SL1 for 2-3 hours: Martyr Logarius on the rooftops. Can't wait to meet him and try this fight!

I can go in 4 different directions right now:

- Byrgenweth
- Cainhurst further up
- Hypogean Gaol
- DLC's Nightmare x2

I am using Axe +8 and Spinning Saw +6 when Axe breaks. Never fired a single bullet.

Game is absolutely amazing and tied with Demon's Souls for now.

You can wait on Cainhurst a little longer. Personally, I'd do Hypogean Gaol then Byrgenwerth.

L.O.R.D

i need help here
i am stuck at rom,i am level 66 and have level 6 weapon cleaver.

is there some glitch in the game so i can farm faster?i am getting bored of farming in the woods.

As my weekend Bloodborne playtime continues, finally beat
Gehrman
after 8 or so tries. Unlike any of the bosses however, absolutely fantastic and very fun fight. I didn't feel frustrated at all, even though I almost beat him so many times, only to die.

Absolutely MGS3 like final fight. Don't know about this secret boss though. I thought I'd at least get more vials first, but even then it blocked my healing? Also has an attack that drain all my HP. Kind of nuts but its movement and size makes it seem like it'll be a lot easier than the final boss. Any tips?

I still have Ebrietas to do, so I might go fight her before I take this thing on. Who knows. I made an extra save just in case however.

Best wishes.

L.O.R.D

ok,i start farming in the witch area going all the way to the forest where the dogs and people with rifles.getting about 28k to 30k every run,so just leveled from 66 to 73.
i thing i am going to do this until i reach 80 or 85.

psyfi

Banned
I'm still slowly chugging through this game. I've run up against a few walls and gotten bored a few times, but I'm still enjoying it overall. I had a really fun run just now where I was trying to grind out 40,000 echoes for the Blade of Mercy, and at about 30,000 echoes I walked past a spot where I could summon Henrietta and thought "hell, why not". Well, sure enough, an adversary got summoned, too. I'm still fairly early in the game and have never beat another player in PvP before (though I've only had two tries before), and so I was pretty fucking scared, haha. At first I tried hiding, hoping the other player would give up and go back where they came from. But I decided to just go for it and found him up near the entrance to Amelia. It honestly wasn't even a contest. Henrietta and I whooped his ass. :)

I ended up buying the Blade of Mercy and it's really fun to use, but I need to get more Twin Shards to make it as powerful as my Cane. It's a little too wimpy right now.

void666

Banned
It felt so good to cheese those (dlc)
shark motherfuckers. Cheap bullshit.

Now i'm done with the dlc i guess. Nothing left to do.

Time to see that last boss and move on to NG+

cj_iwakura

I think I have a good strategy for this boss.
Wait by the fog gate. Dodge. Stun lock into the wall. Wonder why the hell the doll isn't helping. Repeat.

ok,i start farming in the witch area going all the way to the forest where the dogs and people with rifles.getting about 28k to 30k every run,so just leveled from 66 to 73.
i thing i am going to do this until i reach 80 or 85.

I did that quite a bit. I'd also recommend in the same run going back past the Grand Cathedral (where you fight Amelia) and down the hill, and there are two Executioners at the bottom, who are worth a good amount of Echoes.

Anyway, I've been doing the Chalice Dungeons. Done about 4 now, I guess. They're not too bad, but the interiors do feel very repetitive and I feel like I need to space them out or I'll get sick of them. To break it up I've gone back to Hunter's Nightmare, which I hope to be able to finish this time.

psyfi

Banned
I just beat the Witch of Hemwick on my first try, but I think I'm probably over leveled (level 40ish). I somehow overlooked the region she was in, the one with all the women enemies. I got decimated by all the dudes with rifles when I first tried to enter and then I forgot all about that area, haha.

Ruddles72

So here's a fairly random Soulsborne question I have been itching to get an answer to for a long time.

I really struggled with Bloodbourne, to the point where I only just beat it and the experience was a bit miserable at the end. I'm not really a reflex gamer (getting on towards 50 years old), and I was just dreadful at viscerals. But Demon Souls, which I played ages ago, is one of my fave games of all time, i think because there's a lot of ways to play it, as caster for example the experience is completely different. I even liked Lords of the Fallen, where turtling up was an option.

Do the Soulsborne experts in this thread think I would get on with the Dark Souls series? I have no fear of difficulty or regular deaths, I just don't have great reflexes any more.

Milijango

So here's a fairly random Soulsborne question I have been itching to get an answer to for a long time.

I really struggled with Bloodbourne, to the point where I only just beat it and the experience was a bit miserable at the end. I'm not really a reflex gamer (getting on towards 50 years old), and I was just dreadful at viscerals. But Demon Souls, which I played ages ago, is one of my fave games of all time, i think because there's a lot of ways to play it, as caster for example the experience is completely different. I even liked Lords of the Fallen, where turtling up was an option.

Do the Soulsborne experts in this thread think I would get on with the Dark Souls series? I have no fear of difficulty or regular deaths, I just don't have great reflexes any more.

Dark Souls 1 and 2 (particularly 2) are probably the slowest-paced games in the series. 3 is very fast and may not be a good starting point into the trilogy; it also has weaker caster options than the others.

I'd recommend you at least try Dark Souls 1, as it is easy to find on the cheap these days.

Bouniter

Absolutely the Dark souls games are slower placed and much closer to Demon's Souls rather than Bloodborne. With slow and calculated combat being greatly rewarded and aggressive play often leading to your demise. Parrying in Dark is also much less important than in Bloodborne so if you can't get a hold on it just don't use it. DS3 does speed up combat somewhat but its still not on a level with Bloodborne.

All Souls games except Bloodborne give you proper shields and you can JUST SHIELD UP and BLOCK EVERYTHING (except some magic/ fire attacks).

They are really, totally different playing games due to the Shields being available. I tanked with my shield up all the way through Demon's/ Dark 1/ Dark 2/ Dark 3. I had to change my playstyle 180 when switching to Bloodborne (which is amazing BTW).

Definitely give Dark Souls a shot. There are some times where you will need to be as responsive as in Bloodborne but it's overall much slower paced. You also don't need to be right up close to enemies as much because you can use weapons with range. Of course you also have a shield.

Bloodborne to me focuses on how much damage per second you can do while Dark Souls requires more strategy.

GamingKaiju

Hi BB Gaf

I got a PS4 at Christmas with blood borne and I'm nearly at the end, just got the wet nurse to go then off to see Gerhman.

Now that nearing the end I would like to try and get the Queen of Yarnham trophy. I've only done a few chalices dungeons, pthumeru I think on the first tombstone. I have no idea how they work,

So how do I go about getting to the Queen?
How do the tombstones work?
Should I buy the DLC and tackle that first?

I'm level 83 with +10 mercy and +8 rifle spear.

Top Bottom