• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Honestly i'm a little surprised to hear its universally praised. I did read a few reviews prior to going in and saw them strong enough, but after playing through it I thought the general (or at least GAF) consensus would be a little more critical of its faults.

I went in on NG+ at level 110 or so. I wouldn't say i'm especially good at the soulsboune games but i'm not exaggerating when stating my deaths. I did summon for K
os
and L
aurence
though. All the bosses except for M
aria
and L
udwig
felt so underwhelming to me. Two of the five bosses being rehashes was pretty disappointing too. It also just sort of ended. I didn't feel like there was any build up to the finale with the exception of M
aria
warning you to
leave corpses alone, which i assume is in relation to KOS and something about secrets best left uncovered
. It really added so little to the lore too, it could have touched some so many fascinating story threads (like Artorias of the Abyss), instead it really did nothing. Don't get me wrong i appreciate the esoteric storytelling of the franchise, but this just felt pointless.

The more i reflect on it the less i think of it.

Maybe i've just been playing too much of the franchise, perhaps i'll see it in a better light next time i revisit it.

2 rehashed bosses? Laurence (more like half a rehash) and who? And you can't summon for bosses and complain about them being easy. You chose to play easy mode.

Ah yes, after mergo is the point of no return, explore all the areas you didnt explore before jumping also DLC too

There's no "point of no return", aside from initiating the final encounter, which is pretty obvious. And even then, if you die during the final boss and respawn, you can still then go off and do whatever.

There's no "point of no return", aside from initiating the final encounter, which is pretty obvious. And even then, if you die during the final boss and respawn, you can still then go off and do whatever.

If you kill mergo you lock DLC dialogue and Doll itselft stops moving. And no for some people is not that obvious.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If you kill mergo you lock DLC dialogue and Doll itselft stops moving. And no for some people is not that obvious.
Shit, really? You don't mean the Wet Nurse do you? Where is the actual Mergo? I don't want to have to wait until NG+ to do the DLC and I'm on the Wet Nurse fight.

Deku Tree

Micolash and MWN down. Both took me two tries. The Hunter's Dream is
on fire.

Damn I just beat Wet Nurse. Should I go forward with DLC or save it for NG+?

DLC will be a bit harder in NG+. And the DLC has some really good weapons in it. I would do the DLC before NG+ personally.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Ensure you have the Eye of the Blood Drunk Hunter in your Key Items, warp to the Cathedral Ward and then take the left exit out into the courtyard. Stand and get picked up by the Lesser Amygdala.
Huh. How were you supposed to figure that out without looking it up?

Deku Tree

Huh. How were you supposed to figure that out without looking it up?

Well if you were playing the game for the first time and you owned the DLC then it's bound to happen even on a blind play through if your exploring each area.

There are also several things like that happening in other parts of the game, at least two others.

SDR-UK

When you pick up the Eye of the Hunter, you'd look at its description, and then you'd easily figure it out...

Respectfully disagree with that one.

The item description is as follows:

The eye of a blood-drunk hunter. Its pupil if collapsed and turned to mush, indicating the onset of the scourge of beasts.

A hunter who goes drunk with blood is said to be taken by the Nightmare, destined to wander forever, engaged in an endless hunt. It is a fate that no hunter can escape.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Huh. Could have sworn it said something about the Cathedral Ward or being taken by Amy or something?

Edit:
When you pick it up, a dialogue box pops up telling you exactly where to go. I don't blame someone for not remembering if they picked up a while back though.
Ah, I knew there was something like that. There we go:

https://youtu.be/8vhRFHld9_4?t=35
"A deformed creature will whisk you away outside Oedon Chapel."

SDR-UK

When you pick it up, a dialogue box pops up telling you exactly where to go. I don't blame someone for not remembering if they picked up a while back though.

Wow that completely went out of my memory then and I've played through the game stupid amounts of times constantly picking that item up. Nice to know that.

Still, the actual methods of accessing From Software DLC areas leaves a lot to be desired sometimes in terms of simplicity.

JerkShep

Should I feel bad for cheesing Micolash with Poison Knifes at BL4? ._. I feel like a dirty cheater but that fucking Call Beyond....

2 rehashed bosses? Laurence (more like half a rehash) and who? And you can't summon for bosses and complain about them being easy. You chose to play easy mode.

Oh i wasn't complaining about it being easy, just stating that i found it so. I often summon through all the soulbournes games as i really enjoy that aspect of these, i'd hardly call it easy mode when its a feature these games are designed around. The other rehashed boss being the L
iving
F
ailures
being very similar to C
elestial
E
missary
only a bit larger, less of them and with a mechanically dull, though beautiful, variation of R
om's
attack.

What's the deal with this enemy that
sends me to a different area when he kills me for the first time
? He is way tougher than the other enemies in the cathedral ward. Does he respawn of I kill him?

What's the deal with this enemy that
sends me to a different area when he kills me for the first time
? He is way tougher than the other enemies in the cathedral ward. Does he respawn of I kill him?

Those are Kidnappers. You'll find them around Cathedral Ward either once it turns to night or after you kill the Blood Starved Beast (can't remember which)—they're a lot tougher than the previous enemies, but yes they do respawn and there are many of them. They won't take you to the new place when they kill you after the initial kill, however.

started bloodborne yesterday, felt completely lost, maybe thats the intention at the beginning but it felt odd, so restarting it right now (changed my characters physique, standard makes him look way too skinny

WOW. on my restart I killed the first enemy with my bare hands, did not expect that, made it to hunters dream without dying, Woooo. Got a blunderbuss again but should I get the Axe agin or go for the Saw or the cane?

what is the death penalty in this game?

Defiled Watchdog is making me so sad right now. 12 attempts in so far. I'm sure that I'm just tired and keep missing it's tells.

I think this is the most frustrating boss in the game, at least it was for me. Defiled Amy probably killed me more, but it always felt like I was learning and getting closer to victory with every death. Watchdog was just a pain.

WOW. on my restart I killed the first enemy with my bare hands, did not expect that, made it to hunters dream without dying, Woooo. Got a blunderbuss again but should I get the Axe agin or go for the Saw or the cane?

I don't think there is one. You lose your echoes (temporarily), but there's nothing like a hollowing effect. The only downside is that you might need to farm blood vials if you die a lot.

Sulik2

Defiled Watchdog is making me so sad right now. 12 attempts in so far. I'm sure that I'm just tired and keep missing it's tells.

Get Simon's Bow Blade and kite it without needing to be in melee range. If you have 50 vitality you can use the 5% fire resist, 4% all damage resist and +10% health and it can't one shot you with any moves. Thats how I finally beat it.

Go with whatever weapon you like. IIRC, Ludwig's Holy Sword is "easy" mode and Axe is spin2win.

Well just fought the first boss, cleric, used a lot of healing items but won on my first attempt. Can the blunderbuss or pistol actually inflict decent damage at all?

ChrisFatso

Neo Member
I'm about to finish the game (beat the final boss and completed every non-dlc area besides the Upper Cathedral Ward), but I can't help feeling let down by this game. All of the areas felt very similar to me aesthetically, with the exception of the Castle which was a breath of fresh air. Having beaten DS 1-3 this game really seemed to lack the variety of locales and weapons/tactics that are typical of the series. In DS I was constantly eager to see what would be around the next corner, and was repeatedly impressed by the amazing art and creative environments I would come across. Does anyone else feel like BB is missing some of the key elements that makes this series so impactful? (Sorry, I know I'm LTTP)

Sayad

Is it true that Bloodborne 2 is in development and it will be exclusive again to PS?
Bloodborne is a Sony IP, if there's another Bloodborne, it will be exclusive to PS. Don't know about any BB2 rumors though and I hope they try something else, BB felt complete and Souls games need a break.

Top Bottom