• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

oSoLucky

I am a longtime player of this series and I just went through the game for the first time. All I have left to do are the DLC, super duper secret boss and Chalices(just got Lower Pthumeru). This being my first character I want to level out of the meta and try some different things. Is, say, 150 - 200 still lively in this game? I would imagine so, as I never found it hard to find games in the older versions on my SL200 characters and it's still pretty new/unique. Just want to make sure before I go over 120 and screw myself. Also, I really wish they would have compressed Arcane a lot, so that at the standard 50 or maybe even 60 you got the high benefit to tools. Going pure Arcane and 40/30/16/16/11/50 at SL113 right now and will stick at 125 or go all the way to 200 depending.

I know on the DeS PvP boards and old GFAQs boards people would chastise you for overleveling, but I actually find it more fun and you're less likely to fight the same cookie cutter builds all the time. DkS 1 was terrible with that where everyone that I fought was always Quality Claymore/Uchigatana with FC Pyro or Fast Cast Wrath of the God's with Faith weapon buff + Claymore/Uchi.

sweet i will revisit.

also, OT, Dark souls 3. Like it? I may buy it at the discount it's at at wal-mart.

Love DS3. Completed it 3 times. Pace is a lot quicker than DS1&2, the level design is fantastic and PvP is fun. It also has two of my favorite Souls bosses, N
ameless King
and P
ontiff Sulyvahn.
Only took a break from getting all the achievements because of UC4 and now BB.

Ogawa-san

I was never into farming gems before, but ever since coming back I decided to give it a go and see how it'd be with the best (but not off-shape) ones. I broke the game twice, as arcane and then bloodtinge. Empting a stamina bar for over 4k damage is crazy.

In the process I may have burnt myself out trying to get rank 19+ gems with not-so-terrible curses... People that do it without save scumming or farm 3x off-shape gems are insane.

Or maybe I'm just tired of bloodtinge. Chikage is great and all, but arcane lets me effectively use half the weapons in the game with the same build.

Chalice Dungeons depth 3, 4 and 5 are equivalent to NG+n in Souls games and those have enemies/bosses with a few OHKO attacks.
Not every attack will OHKO you in the Defiled Chalice despite the half health bar. Learning how to dodge/avoid these dangerous attacks is part of the Souls/Bloodborne games design.
Defiled depth 5 bosses are where I realized fashion souls wouldn't quite fly so far down, it'd be the difference between dying to a 2-hit combo and not.

Can't say I'm a fan of dodge or die mechanics. I haven't found one recently, but I imagine an undead giant there is either a no-hit kill or death. And if I find a bloodletting beast, well... I'd just delete the chalice and try again.

Sulik2

It has at least two moves that can kill me in one hit, the charge and the pounce that it starts doing at low HP. As for gear, I don't understand how I could be undergeared with a +10
Rakuyo
reinforced with two +18% physical attack gems and one +23% physical attack gem. Where would I get better gear than that?

-5% fire damage rune, full bone ash armor, 50 vitality and +10% hp rune and -4% all damage if needed and none of his attacks can one hit kill you. You can also kite and kill him pretty easy with Simon's Bow Blade or Executioners gauntlet. The defiled Amygdila is incredibly easy once you get past the dog at least.

silva1991

-5% fire damage rune, full bone ash armor, 50 vitality and +10% hp rune and -4% all damage if needed and none of his attacks can one hit kill you. You can also kite and kill him pretty easy with Simon's Bow Blade or Executioners gauntlet. The defiled Amygdila is incredibly easy once you get past the dog at least.

I found defiled Amy harder just because she has longer reach and can hit wider areas.

Sulik2

I found defiled Amy harder just because she has longer reach and can hit wider areas.

If you are in front of Amy you are doing it wrong. Stand behind tail slightly to the right, wait for jump, point in direction of tail, hit head roll back behind tail. Do until second form. Then stand behind tail slightly to the right, hack at arm. When it jumps forward run behind tail slightly to the right. Hack at arm. Only boss in the defiled I one shotted. Its a ridiculously easy boss pattern to exploit with almost zero chance of taking damage.

Ogawa-san

It took me well over an hour just to figure out it was my next destination. Just got there myself.
I didn't realize it during my first playthrough so I spent a fair amount of time lost in there, but there are lit lanterns along the main road. If you just follow them, you can get out in like 5min.

S
hadows
of Y
harnam
down. Took me 3 tries.
These guys really keep you on your toes. The one with the sword has crazy range. I found it easier if you take out the mage first, after that bone marrow ash + parry to victory on the last two.
Not bad for a multi-boss fight.

silva1991

If you are in front of Amy you are doing it wrong. Stand behind tail slightly to the right, wait for jump, point in direction of tail, hit head roll back behind tail. Do until second form. Then stand behind tail slightly to the right, hack at arm. When it jumps forward run behind tail slightly to the right. Hack at arm. Only boss in the defiled I one shotted. Its a ridiculously easy boss pattern to exploit with almost zero chance of taking damage.

this is so risky for me because if I don't time rolling right she will crush me when landing lol

Holy shit, I never had a problem with the Souls games, but I can't seem to get anywhere in this game. Christ.

are you at the beginning? game have arguably the hardest beginning in the series.

S
hadows
of Y
harnam
down. Took me 3 tries.
These guys really keep you on your toes. The one with the sword has crazy range. I found it easier if you take out the mage first, after that bone marrow ash + parry to victory on the last two.

https://youtu.be/Sk47qO8rW4Y?t=1m31s

:p

Mike M

Nick N
are you at the beginning? game have arguably the hardest beginning in the series.
Yeah, I can't seem to make it past the two wolves on the bridge. On my last attempt, I found the path behind the coffins beside the house having the party, but that quickly split into three ways to go. I found myself in a warehouse or something and found the plague doctor NPC before getting killed yet again.

Surely leveling up and upgrading my gear would make it at least marginally easier, but that's gated until after the first boss, right? And enemy drops get less frequent the more you kill them in a given area? Oy.

Wouldn't even be that bad if getting past the street with the patrols wasn't so goddamned tedious. There's like 20+ enemies to get through/sneak by.

silva1991

Yeah, I can't seem to make it past the two wolves on the bridge. On my last attempt, I found the path behind the coffins beside the house having the party, but that quickly split into three ways to go. I found myself in a warehouse or something and found the plague doctor NPC before getting killed yet again.

Surely leveling up and upgrading my gear would make it at least marginally easier, but that's gated until after the first boss, right? And enemy drops get less frequent the more you kill them in a given area? Oy.

Wouldn't even be that bad if getting past the street with the patrols wasn't so goddamned tedious. There's like 20+ enemies to get through/sneak by.

You only need insight to level up which you can get from consuming mad man's knowledge before fighting any boss

the area with 20+ enemies is probably just to teach about pulling them one by one with a pebble so, it's better to just run past them(there aren't good treasures there anyways iirc)

Ogawa-san

Yeah, I can't seem to make it past the two wolves on the bridge.
Run past them and then into a building to the left, they can't go through the doorway. You can safely (?) charge attack them to death.

Or you can molotov them if you have enough, but you probably don't at that point.

Deku Tree

I did everything in this game except beating optional L
awrence
in the DLC.

Want to return to the game and get it done. I have and can upgrade basically everything on my save file.

What is the most OP weapon and OP strat to beat Ludwig? Any videos? Thanks!

Any help with this?

Looking for a good weapon and a good video strat to watch to take on L
awrence
in the DLC?

Want to possibly take it on later today.

silva1991

Any help with this?

Looking for a good weapon and a good video strat to watch to take on L
awrence
in the DLC?

Want to possibly take it on later today.

I don't know about
Laurence
aka Larry-san, but pure STR build with the pizza cutter melts
Ludwig

especially if you use beast pallet+ fire paper my lord.

Sulik2

I need help with Laurence on NG+. Level 197. I just can't beat him. If anyone wants to coop send a party invite. Sulik2

this is so risky for me because if I don't time rolling right she will crush me when landing

:p

Just stand still she can't hurt you with the jump if you aren't moving.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just got this and a PS4 after binging the 3 Dark Souls. Glad to see the OT is still pretty active. How is the online component of the game? I'd be bummed if there weren't messages everywhere.

Sulik2

I did it. Finally. Death to Lawrence on NG+ used valtyr. Then used bow blade on the last form once he died. Out of bullets and vials got my last hit while trapped in a corner one hit from death. Terrible boss.

Got my plat after that. Gherman and the beast a joke after fighting Laurence 20+ times. Took me six months but I am now done. One of the greatest games I have ever played. See you in bloodborne 2 everyone.

Just got this and a PS4 after binging the 3 Dark Souls. Glad to see the OT is still pretty active. How is the online component of the game? I'd be bummed if there weren't messages everywhere.

Lots of messages and some names you will learn. Its great.

rulerk1

Is there any area in the game as big as the Forbidden Forest. After being in that every place everything seems smaller now lol

S
hadows
of Y
harnam
down. Took me 3 tries.

After watching some dude battle them on his stream I thought that fight was gonna be cheap as fuck. Surprisingly went smooth (based visceral) but then the mage summon these large snakes.

It took me well over an hour just to figure out it was my next destination. Just got there myself.

Took me a while too. Cant believe I never saw that doorway lol.

silva1991

I did it. Finally. Death to Lawrence on NG+ used valtyr. Then used bow blade on the last form once he died. Out of bullets and vials got my last hit while trapped in a corner one hit from death. Terrible boss.

Got my plat after that. Gherman and the beast a joke after fighting Laurence 20+ times. Took me six months but I am now done. One of the greatest games I have ever played. See you in bloodborne 2 everyone.

Congrats

what I would do for at least another expansion :/

Is there any area in the game as big as the Forbidden Forest. After being in that every place everything seems smaller now lol

the woods is the biggest area by far.
maybe followed by the last area in the DLC and central yharnam.

Deku Tree

Ok I guess I'll try the Simons Bow Blade method for fighting L
awrence
in the DLC later on...

...Is summoning for boss fight help dead for this game?

Deku Tree

I can help you out? Would be nice to fire up Bloodborne again.

Thanks SDR!

Not sure when I can jump on. Probably around 8:30pm or 9pm EST today or later. I don't know what time zone you are in or if you'll be around then...

I could also look for another time that might work better for you.

SDR-UK

Thanks SDR!

Not sure when I can jump on. Probably around 8:30pm or 9pm EST today or later. I don't know what time zone you are in or if you'll be around then...

I could also look for another time that might work better for you.

I'm UK time (BST), so I guess we are five hours apart based on my assumptions? I mean, the earlier the better but I can probably make that time.

Deku Tree

I'm UK time (BST), so I guess we are five hours apart based on my assumptions? I mean, the earlier the better but I can probably make that time.

Ok great thanks SDR! I'll try to get on as early as I can but most likely around that time and I'll send you a PSN message.

silva1991

Forbidden Woods is giving me the most trouble since the beginning of the game. Wow.

I love every second of it. The art direction is just...masterful

My favorite woods in the series when it comes to art and level design. amazing stuff

the only thing I hate about it is some repeated enemies.

Beat R
om
the V
acous
S
pider.
Died the first time when a couple
spiders jumped on me
, but got him on the next go. It was
a nice lake arena, but the boss was kinda tedious with all those adds and that easily avoidable AOE attack that it continuously spams. Got transported to Yhar'gul and the sky is purple with a red moon now.
I've got to say that the
"forbidden" Bygernwerth was disappointing considering it seems to be a big part of the lore. It was really small.

My favorite woods in the series when it comes to art and level design. amazing stuff

the only thing I hate about it is some repeated enemies.

Yeah, I think it's mine as well. Very eerie and the level design was impressive. I even found a
cave that connects back to Central Yharnam.

Kid Ska

Uhhh
So I just got snagged by some hand from a blue portal that appears out of nowhere, dragged 50 feet into the air and instantly killed

What the fuck

Kid Ska

Wow that instakill grab on blood staved beast is kind of bullshit

Seriously it even poisons you just in case you survived with a sliver of health.

silva1991

Yeah, I think it's mine as well. Very eerie and the level design was impressive. I even found a
cave that connects back to Central Yharnam.

Loved that part. I got the same feeling when I got out of blighttown and then boom i'm back at firelink shrine.

Wow that instakill grab on blood staved beast is kind of bullshit

Seriously it even poisons you just in case you survived with a sliver of health.

it's so easy to read. just make sure to stay behind the boss while in second phase.

Uhhh
So I just got snagged by some hand from a blue portal that appears out of nowhere, dragged 50 feet into the air and instantly killed

What the fuck

It happens to everybody one time or another. Depending on where that happened, it might take you to the DLC or to the Nightmare Frontier but
you need an item first

Fuuuuuhhhcking FINALLY beat O
rphan of Kos.
After six months away from this game I decided that fuck it, I was going to beat him come hell or high water and YES. Spent nearly all day on it but I solo'd this fucker on NG+ and I feel like that is the pinnacle of my gaming career right now in beating this guy. Phew.

Mike M

Nick N
Finally started to make some progress. Beat the Cleric Beast, saw all the sewers had to offer, got the Saw Hunter badge and bought some more Trick weapons to play around with. Kind of gravitating toward the Hunter Axe. Threaded cane seems hard to use effectively with its whip hitboxes and currently does the least damage. Kirkhammer seems like the Threaded Cane with the whip swapped out for a ridiculously slow hammer, I'm almost scared to even try and use that in combat. Saw Cleaver's non-transformed mode feels like it has no range at all, and the Saw Spear seems to be a further-reaching, slower, weaker Saw Cleaver.

I love the whole gimmick of transforming weapons, they look amazing in when you do it in combos.

Got half of Father whatever's life bar down before he killed me, at least.

Orcastar

Just finished the Pthumeru Ihyll chalice dungeon, so I guess with that I'm finally done with the game. Managed to beat
Queen Yharnam
on my first try. The fight was definitely a bit of a letdown considering what a hassle it is to get this far.

I read you can access the DLC after beating the boss in cathedral ward. I searched eveey corner and found no boss there, only an entrance to a place valled old yharnam. Can the boss be found there?

SDR-UK

I read you can access the DLC after beating the boss in cathedral ward. I searched eveey corner and found no boss there, only an entrance to a place valled old yharnam. Can the boss be found there?

Take a good look in the courtyard after taking the left exit out of Cathedral Ward.

Get picked up by the Lesser Amygdala.

EDIT: Ignore what I said! I jumped the gun and thought this was questioning how to access the DLC. Apologies. Answer is below.

myco666

You need to beat boss at Old Yharnam first before you can finish Cathedral Ward. You can buy a key for 10k to skip that boss though if you want.

Just completed the platinum last night, plus all DLC trophies. It's my first ever platinum (I'm more of an achievement junky hence Xbox player). I started the game about 2 weeks ago right after finishing 1000 GS in Dark Souls III. What an incredible experience it has been!

Defeated The O
ne
R
eborn.
Fairly easy fight. You just have to take out those bell ringers and avoid his projectiles. I tried a falling attack from the balcony and it landed a lot of damage too.
Happy to be done with Yhar'gul. It seems like I have a lot of options on where to go now. I found
a key to Upper Cathedral Ward and I think I know what door that opens. I have the Tonsil stone from the dude in the forest for an area near the Cathedral. I also have Cainhurst summons, but I have no idea where that is. I do remember a place called Cainhurst Castle from photo threads though. I can also go forward from TOR's latern.

Should I level endurance anymore? I've been getting by just fine with it at 15.

I logged in with my account on a friend's PS4 and the Eye of a Blood-drunk Hunter appeared in his game. We picked it up and I figured the worst that'll happen when my account is no longer logged in is that he'll be locked out of The Old Hunters.

Well no. It won't let him back in the game at all. Not even just that one save file - it just says in the main menu that he doesn't have The Old Hunters and can't play.

Not a huge bummer since I lent him the disk anyway but he was close to beating it. Anyone have any ideas that might let him back in the game? Aside from buying The Old Hunters of course
which I think is the best idea!

SDR-UK

I logged in with my account on a friend's PS4 and the Eye of a Blood-drunk Hunter appeared in his game. We picked it up and I figured the worst that'll happen when my account is no longer logged in is that he'll be locked out of The Old Hunters.

Well no. It won't let him back in the game at all. Not even just that one save file - it just says in the main menu that he doesn't have The Old Hunters and can't play.

Not a huge bummer since I lent him the disk anyway but he was close to beating it. Anyone have any ideas that might let him back in the game? Aside from buying The Old Hunters of course

The only thing I can think of is to give him access again and ensure that he's not actually in a DLC area when he last left off.

Other than that? Gonna have to buy the DLC, I guess.

Since you have a DLC item in your inventory the game instant locks your account until you buy or share the DLC

Deku Tree

People originally were able to access the DLC without paying for it. I guess this is how they patched that out by freezing your whole file. Does your friend have a recent backup save maybe to PS+ ?

Or is it possible for you to log in for them again and load their game and delete the item? Will that unlock their save file when your not logged in?

Top Bottom