• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

I absolutely agree on the spoilers. Thankfully I finished the game yesterday.

i thought maybe i was alone about this, apparently it was like this for dark souls 1 and 2.
There is no way i'm playing those games now and having every single item in the game spoiled for me, what a stupidly flawed and lazy design mechanic.
Stunned that most of gaf loves this and wanted it to return.

Oppo

i thought maybe i was alone about this, apparently it was like this for dark souls 1 and 2.
There is no way i'm playing those games now and having every single item in the game spoiled for me, what a stupidly flawed and lazy design mechanic.

why are you stunned if you haven't even played the games? I guess you don't realize how incredibly minor this is. honestly this is lore meant to be discovered. to not play at all because of this notion is quite insane.

TP-DK

why are you stunned if you haven't even played the games? I guess you don't realize how incredibly minor this is. honestly this is lore meant to be discovered. to not play at all because of this notion is quite insane.

You just said it yourself. Its meant to be discovered by the player not thrown in your face.

This isnt about some of us being over sensitive to spoilers, but it being a weird design choise for a game that emphasises on the player figuring out things themselves.

I've played bloodborne, and thankfully i got the chance to play it and discover items myself.
As you said, it's lore that's meant to be discovered, the problem is that showing off items from any stage in the game takes away that discovery.
you can be at the start of the game and see a late game item, outfit or secret.
The general idea of showing items and lore at the loading screen is prefect but not restricting what people can see depending on where they are in the story is stupid.
If it's minor to you then great, it's a massive deal to me and i would hate to have played through the game already knowing every single item, workshop tool and outfit i was going to find, why couldn't they show off items that you've already seen or that are available to purchase?

You just said it yourself. Its meant to be discovered by the player not thrown in your face.
This isnt about some of us being over sensitive to spoilers, but it being a weird design choise for a game that emphasises on the player figuring out things themselves.
Precisely, all the souls fans told me how great it was to slowly unravel the story yourself through item descriptions and things you discover, and they were absolutely correct.
The sad thing is that after the patch half of the discovery is gone, it's just picking up items that you've already seen and having all the lore, weapons and outfits spoiled for you.

it's a flawed and lazy mechanic, all they have to do is restrict what items, weapons and outfits you see depending on where you are in the story. Throwing every single thing in the game on that list and making it random is some of the most lazy designing i've ever seen in a game.

hello fellow hunters hope yarnham is fairing you all well.

i know there is suggestion in the op, but i need a bit more detail on the chalice dungeouns, i did the first one a while ago, i've now just defeated Rom so now it feels like a good interval to do some side stuff. how would you pace them out gaf? my concern is two fold really a. i don't want to become overlevelled for the main game by completing dungeons b. i don't want to see bosses from the story within the chalice dungeon if i have not previously seen and defeated them

so yeah any advice, or a suggestion of how deep into the chalices i should go without ruining the main game would be much appreciated

Ferr986

I find more stunning that someone would skip buying such incredible games like the Dark Souls games just by this.
I find it really minor, you aren't going to be big spoiled lore-wise by that. You're probably even won't see like half of the items available in the loading screens.
And it's as easy as looking to your phone or something else while it's loading (I sometimes do).
This has always been in the Souls games and never bothered me, it was more like "oh, I want to find this awesome item". I can understand if it bothers for someone, but missing the Souls games because of that... I dunno, seems too harsh.

the more i play of this game the more beautiful it is. i just bought the guide simply because i want to read everything about it when i'm done because i just dig this game so much.

hello fellow hunters hope yarnham is fairing you all well.

i know there is suggestion in the op, but i need a bit more detail on the chalice dungeouns, i did the first one a while ago, i've now just defeated Rom so now it feels like a good interval to do some side stuff. how would you pace them out gaf? my concern is two fold really a. i don't want to become overlevelled for the main game by completing dungeons b. i don't want to see bosses from the story within the chalice dungeon if i have not previously seen and defeated them

so yeah any advice, or a suggestion of how deep into the chalices i should go without ruining the main game would be much appreciated

Probably best to do Chalcie depths 1 & 2 right away when you first get them, because they're so easy, and then 3 is around endgame difficulty, and then 4 & 5 are NG+ stuff.

Is there another lantern in the
forbidden woods
besides this one?
I spent an hour going through the woods and couldn't find anything. Found all these weird looking snakes during my time through, some bits were very hard and I only could run.

UsGdDtI.jpg

Apologies for the off-screen grab, I was in a hurry.

Mogwai

This makes no freaking sense. A lot of the item descriptions are gibberish unless you read into the lore and fight the bosses.

Probably best to do Chalcie depths 1 & 2 right away when you first get them, because they're so easy, and then 3 is around endgame difficulty, and then 4 & 5 are NG+ stuff.

Right, I'm a total noob about this stuff and haven't spent much time reading up on the Chalice Dungeons, but I got an item from the Blood Starved Beast which I assume enables me to enter the first Chalice Dungeon? I'm only level 30-ish though, so I probably need to spend a bit more time learning stuff before I go to the Chalice Dungeons.

For now though I'm stuck in the Unseen Village, and it's kicking my arse. One time I tried running past the big fuckers with their sacks, I got out onto the main street and there was a giant boar in each direction which charged me down. This place is fucking terrifying, and I don't know of any way to get back to the safety of the Hunter's Dream without exploring properly and finding a lantern.

forbidden woods
besides this one?
I spent an hour going through the woods and couldn't find anything. Found all these weird looking snakes during my time through, some bits were very hard and I only could run.

i don't believe so at least non boss related lanterns. keep an eye out for a couple shortcuts though that pretty much cut through everything there.

We should have a gaf exclusive one too

Yup, I've been thinking about this. I tried the Reddit one, even though I'm not a part of that community and it works amazingly. I'd say the GAF Bloodborne community is large enough to make our own dungeon feasible.

If someone goes ahead and does it, I'd say it's new thread worthy, to make sure it gets ample exposure.

i don't believe so at least non boss related lanterns. keep an eye out for a couple shortcuts though that pretty much cut through everything there.

I did manage to find a level which activates the lift but that's it. I'll give it another go tomorrow but damn such a hard section.

And I oponed a gate from the other side. Problem is trying to remember the location of it and the lift :(.

this work for all the chalices?

when do bosses from the main game start appearing? as don't want to see any in the chalice before seeing in main game?

forbidden woods
besides this one?

I'd love to know this stuck in the same spot currently...damn snake headed beasts!

Fitts

I took a break from BB to play some GTA with friends this week and I'm itching to jump back in. Still, I know that once I do it's going to be difficult to drag myself away again. I'm bad at juggling games as it is, but I'm at my absolute worst in this respect when I'm immersed in a Souls game.

Does anyone else struggle with this?

Rurunaki

Have to agree with you on this. Item loading should reflect only on what you currently discovered and not the whole list. On that note, Demon's did it the best with the loading screen. NPCs with just their names. Gave you the sense of wanting to see/meet them, but no overall lore behind the picture (Still need to dig into them for the story).

What's your hp?

Btw, did you get through Lower Loran?

Level 40, I don't have the game up right now for the actual number. I stopped doing Lower Loran for now. I only needed the Red Jelly for the Great Pthumeru Chalice. Right now I'm stuck on The Watchdog. I can get him under half, but one hit from his charge and it's over.

Mogwai

Level 40, I don't have the game up right now for the actual number. I stopped doing Lower Loran for now. I only needed the Red Jelly for the Great Pthumeru Chalice. Right now I'm stuck on The Watchdog. I can get him under half, but one hit from his charge and it's over.

40 VIT might be a bit on the low side. I think I did it with 50 VIT and the +10% HP rune.

The dog is a big pain in the ass. If you stay in its melee range as much as possible, you should be able to avoid that insta-death charge. It will still do the charge, but it'll be when you're behind it or at the sides and then it shouldn't do any damage to you at all.

sappyday

for those saying that the loading screens now spoil the game and take away the discovery, would you be opposed of the demon's souls method? As in the loading screens being a portrait of every major npc. It spoils every npc you meet but once you discover them it makes them feel a lot more special (at least to me).

Ferr986

You should be able to do it at that VIT, provided you are also using runes. Fight is about memorizing all of his attacks and playing really safe. Using weapons with big range helped for me.

Spending 2hrs playing and making no progress whatsoever - a typical Bloodborne day for me.....but I saw interesting locations and enemies before getting killed by them!.

TP-DK

for those saying that the loading screens now spoil the game and take away the discovery, would you be opposed of the demon's souls method? As in the loading screens being a portrait of every major npc. It spoils every npc you meet but once you discover them it makes them feel a lot more special (at least to me).

I liked demons approach. Showing npcs with their name, but not telling anything about them.

autoduelist

You're going to skip games because of the load screens? I'm going to join the chorus of 'what?'

You realize you don't even need to read those screens, right? I don't think I've actually read a single one and I've plat'd Demon's, Dark, and BB.

Heck, just close your eyes for 10 or 15 seconds. Skipping masterpieces over load screens is mindboggling to me.

Stillmatic

I've played bloodborne, and thankfully i got the chance to play it and discover items myself.
As you said, it's lore that's meant to be discovered, the problem is that showing off items from any stage in the game takes away that discovery.
you can be at the start of the game and see a late game item, outfit or secret.
The general idea of showing items and lore at the loading screen is prefect but not restricting what people can see depending on where they are in the story is stupid.
If it's minor to you then great, it's a massive deal to me and i would hate to have played through the game already knowing every single item, workshop tool and outfit i was going to find, why couldn't they show off items that you've already seen or that are available to purchase?

Precisely, all the souls fans told me how great it was to slowly unravel the story yourself through item descriptions and things you discover, and they were absolutely correct.
The sad thing is that after the patch half of the discovery is gone, it's just picking up items that you've already seen and having all the lore, weapons and outfits spoiled for you.

it's a flawed and lazy mechanic, all they have to do is restrict what items, weapons and outfits you see depending on where you are in the story. Throwing every single thing in the game on that list and making it random is some of the most lazy designing i've ever seen in a game.
You know when you're getting a loading screen, you either die or use a lantern. Just don't read the info, or don't look at the tv when loading. Pretty easy to avoid if you're that sensitive to spoilers.

Finally had some more time to sit down and play this over the last two days, and I've made it to
Rom
. I've heard that this boss is the point of no return in regards to finishing some things earlier in the game, but which things exactly? So far, I'm up to date with
Eileen's
quest line, and the bosses I've beaten so far are:
CB, Father G, BSB, VA, Witch of Hemwick, Darkbeast Paarl, and Shadow of Yharnam.
Any I've missed so far? Also, should I deal with
Iosefka
now, or beat
Rom
first?

Tomeru

forbidden woods
besides this one?

Just the one. You have 2 elevator shortcuts to open up though.

sappyday

I liked demons approach. Showing npcs with their name, but not telling anything about them.
Yea I agree however the item descriptions don't bother me at all. One I ignore them in most cases and two the fun of reading the item descriptions is to piece it all together and coming up with an idea of the lore. When you find them seems pointless to harper on since you won't know where you'll find them which is what matters more imo.

I don't think anyone has ever had their experience of the game ruined because of the item descriptions and in Dark Souls they are so vague that I would have hard time believing you can piece everything together just by the loading screens.

Finally had some more time to sit down and play this over the last two days, and I've made it to
Rom
. I've heard that this boss is the point of no return in regards to finishing some things earlier in the game, but which things exactly? So far, I'm up to date with
Eileen's
CB, Father G, BSB, VA, Witch of Hemwick, Darkbeast Paarl, and Shadow of Yharnam.
Iosefka
now, or beat
Rom
first?

You can do either. You get different outcomes/items depending on your choice. I don't want to spoil it, though. One of these choices helps you unlock the "true" ending, however. It's not necessary if you do everything else correctly, but if you messed one of these things up, then yeah, it needs to be done a certain way to unlock that ending. If you genuinely don't care about the ending you get your first time through, don't even worry about it. I played through the game blind on my first run and missed a few things myself. I think it's more fun when you make your own decisions, mistakes and all, on your first run.

takriel

Rom
Eileen's
Iosefka
now, or beat
Rom
first?

How many people have you rescued? If not
, you might want to knock at some doors again :)

Otherwise, I'd say you're good to go.

40 VIT might be a bit on the low side. I think I did it with 50 VIT and the +10% HP rune.

The dog is a big pain in the ass. If you stay in its melee range as much as possible, you should be able to avoid that insta-death charge. It will still do the charge, but it'll be when you're behind it or at the sides and then it shouldn't do any damage to you at all.

You should be able to do it at that VIT, provided you are also using runes. Fight is about memorizing all of his attacks and playing really safe. Using weapons with big range helped for me.

Just beat him, no damage. Kept dash attacking his back left leg while kiting.Time to hit the next brick wall.

Kill
Rom
first.

Actually, you can do either. You get different outcomes/items depending on your choice. I don't want to spoil it, though. One of these choices helps you unlock the "true" ending, however. It's not necessary if you do everything else correctly, but if you messed one of these things up, then yeah, it needs to be done a certain way to unlock that ending.

I think I'll go with your first choice, seeing as I'm there already. If you want to spoil what happens if I decided to do it the other way, I don't mind :) I'd actually be interested to know.

How many people have you rescued? If not
, you might want to knock at some doors again :)

Otherwise, I'd say you're good to go.

Hmm, I think I've rescued them all, at least that's what I'm gathering from the latest dialogue with a certain NPC. Onwards I go, then :)

Thank you both!

Adam Blue

I have all the weapons but the trophy didn't unlock. I even bought the starter weapons again, and nothing. Is this an known thing?

klee123

You know I just can't over the fact that
Patches is a spider with his signature bald head

I guessed that he would appear since he appeared in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1, but certainly not like that lol

Ossom

I have all the weapons but the trophy didn't unlock. I even bought the starter weapons again, and nothing. Is this an known thing?

I've not heard of any issues with this one. Check the list again and make sure you have them all. Found one other thread mentioning this, but the person had missed the hunter's torch and another where the person missed the stake driver.

List the weapons you have and I am sure someone on here will point out what you are missing.

Xeilyn

I was 2 hits away from killing M
artyr Logarius with my lvl 37 BT character and then i got greedy and died, ive never been so angry with myself in a souls game before=/

Top Bottom