• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

ISee

You know I just can't over the fact that
Patches is a spider with his signature bald head

I guessed that he would appear since he appeared in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1, but certainly not like that lol

Patches is an a**hole
Spiders are a**holes

Spiderpatches
= A**hole^2

It makes sense to me ;)

maomaoIYP

I've beaten the game 3 times with 3 different characters, cleared all the chalice dungeons, gotten all the trophies, and I have to finally say that.....Fuck the kirkhammer. I made a 4th character, just managed to beat Ebrietas after 2 days of trying, got the hammer to +10, and I fucking finally give up. It's a fucking terrible weapon that has shit range no matter the form. It has probably the biggest damage dealing single hit in all the weapons but it's just too slow and completely unviable for the chalice dungeons.

WITHE1982

I'm currently working my way through NG+ and just about to start the defiled chalice dungeons (*gulp). I've noticed I've had 3 shaman bone blades in my inventory for ages and never used them.

Anyone used them effectively on any bosses/mobs and have any recommendations on when I should save 'em for?

I've beaten the game 3 times with 3 different characters, cleared all the chalice dungeons, gotten all the trophies, and I have to finally say that.....Fuck the kirkhammer. I made a 4th character, just managed to beat Ebrietas after 2 days of trying, got the hammer to +10, and I fucking finally give up. It's a fucking terrible weapon that has shit range no matter the form. It has probably the biggest damage dealing single hit in all the weapons but it's just too slow and completely unviable for the chalice dungeons.

I prefer the Ludwig blade, but the hammer's L2 sweep attack is nice.

Also, why the fuck would you burn a blood rock on a weapon you weren't sure whether you liked or not?

Now, I know this couldn't have been a gaffer that did this to me...

I get invaded in Nightmare of Mensis, right before the door to
Micolash
. This was my first time through this area and didn't know at the time how close I was to the boss. There's a small spiral staircase leading up to the landing in front of the door.

As I reach the top, from behind, I get attacked by the invader. No bow, wave, gesture or anything. Instead of rolling back where he can get a good drop attack on me, I roll forward. Pure panic and luck. Not skill. I'm guessing that was his plan, though, so he sidesteps near me and pulls out... of course... a cannon.

I turn around and jog to the spiral staircase without rolling. I hear his cannon hit the ground above my head. I charge in and start wailing on him with my Saw blade. My guess is that he didn't know about the cannon nerf, because it looked like he made the "out of ammo" animation. Then he died.

The lesson is: gesture before your fights!

Micolash
. This was my first time through this area and didn't know at the time how close I was to the boss. There's a small spiral staircase leading up to the landing in front of the door.

As I reach the top, from behind, I get attacked by the invader. No bow, wave, gesture or anything. Instead of rolling back where he can get a good drop attack on me, I roll forward. Pure panic and luck. Not skill. I'm guessing that was his plan, though, so he sidesteps near me and pulls out... of course... a cannon.

I turn around and jog to the spiral staircase without rolling. I hear his cannon hit the ground above my head. I charge in and start wailing on him with my Saw blade. My guess is that he didn't know about the cannon nerf, because it looked like he made the "out of ammo" animation. Then he died.

I've only had one invader gesture either in greeting or in response. The others attacked right off the bat or waited for me to gesture so they can get a free hit while I did so.

As I said in the last OT, I'm now only going to gesture as a response to one gesturing first. If they attack, they don't get the courtesy.

I've only had one invader gesture either in greeting or in response. The others attacked right off the bat or waited for me to gesture so they can get a free hit while I did so.

As I said in the last OT, I'm now only going to gesture as a response to one gesturing first.

Ah. I must have had some luck. I was invaded a few times in Nightmare Frontier and each time either got a gesture first or someone who responded to mine before we started.

I've had a lot of luck so far with invasions, in that, knock on wood, I haven't lost one. Then again, this is exactly how Demon's Souls PvP started for me until I hit a period of loss after loss and bloodstain after bloodstain.

I done everything in this game for trophies apart from the chalice dungeons boss. I'm at Loran Chalice at the moment. I don't know which way to go about getting mats so I can create the other dungeons to get to the boss. What's the easiest path? Not too bothered about how quick but if I can just get to the final boss by killing the bosses people think are easiest that'd help.

I know I have to defiled chalice and I'm not looking forward to that but what's the best place to farm mats like bastard of loran and other rare materials needed to get to the trophy boss?

Also how does summoning work in these dungeons? Is it the same as the main game where I can just ring the bell near a boss fog gate or do I have to set the dungeon to private or open or invite them another way?

E92 M3

Patches is an a**hole
Spiders are a**holes

Spiderpatches
= A**hole^2

It makes sense to me ;)

Spiders are actually very helpful.

Micolash

I actually prefer invasions with no rules - it's fun when I run into a gank squad.

Ossom

Ah. I must have had some luck. I was invaded a few times in Nightmare Frontier and each time either got a gesture first or someone who responded to mine before we started.

I've had a lot of luck so far with invasions, in that, knock on wood, I haven't lost one. Then again, this is exactly how Demon's Souls PvP started for me until I hit a period of loss after loss and bloodstain after bloodstain.

I think I have been lucky too. The first 3 or 4 gestured which then made me think that was the norm. No one seemed to gesture in DS2.

Then I was in Mergo's Loft with the pigs. This guy ran up and then stopped. I thought he was waiting for me so I turned and gave the last pig the final two hits. He didn't give me a second and starting wailing at my back. That was pretty cheap, but he must have got a bad level match as I was able to roll away and then go in and finish him off. Now I wait for the invader to gesture first.

Ferr986

I always do gesture in PvP, but keeping a good distance for if my rival decides to hit me while doing it.
So far though everyone I fought did gesture me back or atleast wait till I'm done.

Mendrox

git gud

Kirkhammer is love. Kirkhammer is best.

Kirkhammer was my weapon of choice on my first run and I still love it. You just have to learn it.

E92 M3

git gud

Kirkhammer was my weapon of choice on my first run and I still love it. You just have to learn it.

I think everyone just has different playstyles. Personally, I don't like the KH - it's too clunky.

xinek

I done everything in this game for trophies apart from the chalice dungeons boss. I'm at Loran Chalice at the moment. I don't know which way to go about getting mats so I can create the other dungeons to get to the boss. What's the easiest path? Not too bothered about how quick but if I can just get to the final boss by killing the bosses people think are easiest that'd help.

I know I have to defiled chalice and I'm not looking forward to that but what's the best place to farm mats like bastard of loran and other rare materials needed to get to the trophy boss?

Also how does summoning work in these dungeons? Is it the same as the main game where I can just ring the bell near a boss fog gate or do I have to set the dungeon to private or open or invite them another way?
The only materials farming I did was to play the Lower Loran dungeon level two twice, each for one red jelly located in a treasure room. The first boss was easy, so I just used someone else's dungeon to replay. Also found ritual blood 5 there. I had no issues getting BoL just playing the dungeons through. I skipped everything possible in Defiled, just did boss runs.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Put me down in the Fuck the Kirkhammer column

Blade of Mercy / Ludwig's Holy Blade for LYFE

benjammin

Struggling with
Nightmare Frontier
right now. The area itself doesn't seem difficult, but I keep getting invaded as I'm fighting
the two hunters
. And all 3 times that I was invaded, the invader ran in and wrecked me while I was fighting those dudes. I think I need to kill one of them really quickly so I can get some breathing room. As soon as they aggro you, they seem to follow you regardless of how close you get to the lantern.

Mogwai

Struggling with
Nightmare Frontier
right now. The area itself doesn't seem difficult, but I keep getting invaded as I'm fighting
the two hunters
. And all 3 times that I was invaded, the invader ran in and wrecked me while I was fighting those dudes. I think I need to kill one of them really quickly so I can get some breathing room. As soon as they aggro you, they seem to follow you regardless of how close you get to the lantern.

Alternatively, put your game in offline mode.

Problem solved :)

You guys weren't joking about Chalice L
oran Depth 4
B
lood Starved Beast
I get one shotted by its grab.

Also NG+ sucks to upgrade weapons on, no way to farm Blood Stone Chunks until super late (even with the sequence break). I know I was told to gather materials before NG+ but I didn't want to overlevel off of any farming. :/

Late Flag

Also NG+ sucks to upgrade weapons on, no way to farm Blood Stone Chunks until super late (even with the sequence break). I know I was told to gather materials before NG+ but I didn't want to overlevel off of any farming. :/

This. So this.

I like LHB and ran with it through pretty much all of NG, thinking I'd try out the burial blade in NG+. But there's no way to make that weapon viable since I can't upgrade it to any reasonable level. This part of the game is poorly conceived.

Mogwai

You guys weren't joking about Chalice L
oran Depth 4
B
lood Starved Beast
I get one shotted by its grab.

You could have spent the echoes on purchasable items instead of dropping them on leveling.

SkylineRKR

git gud

I beat the game with Kirkhammer. Its awesomesauce and my only +10. I have a STR/Blood/Skill build and rolling KH + Chikage and Evelyn in the Cainhurst set. Its a way of life.

Forward + R2 in Hammer mode is the business. But the sword also has a good thrust that laughs at brainsuckers.

The leveling of weapons is pants compared to Souls though. No way to get my Chigake to 9 until I hit early end game again. They block you from maxing out early (I maxed out 2 weapons in DkS2 before hitting the 4th Great soul, and I don't feel that OP).

Feindflug

It's indeed a long way till you reach the
Upper Cathedral

That's why I'm farming chunks the last two days (I think that after the latest patch the
blue-eyed werewolves
drop chunks more often) and try to upgrade as many weapons I can before going to NG+. BB may have less weapons than the Souls games but every weapon is really fun to use and useful in it's own way...that was actually the reason that I made a quality build in this game, so I can use almost all the weapons in the game with decent stat scaling results. :p

maomaoIYP

I prefer the Ludwig blade, but the hammer's L2 sweep attack is nice.

Also, why the fuck would you burn a blood rock on a weapon you weren't sure whether you liked or not?
For the sake of challenge. I like the big hits, but it's just. too. slow.

git gud

I'm 'gud' enough. The sword form is fine, but there's no point if that's what I'm using 90% of the time. It's safe and boring. The hammer form is just pathetic compared to almost all the other weapons. Ultra great hammers are fine in DS because the game has a slower pace, but it's just not viable in BB.

Mendrox

For the sake of challenge. I like the big hits, but it's just. too. slow.

I'm 'gud' enough. The sword form is fine, but there's no point if that's what I'm using 90% of the time. It's safe and boring. The hammer form is just pathetic compared to almost all the other weapons. Ultra great hammers are fine in DS because the game has a slower pace, but it's just not viable in BB.

Dunno, I don't have problems with the hammer form (I don't like the sword form). Kills fast and easy, always stuns every enemy so that you get another R2 hit after the initial hit. Ludwigs sword is boring in comparison, but everybody plays with other weapons so it's fine

You could have spent the echoes on purchasable items instead of dropping them on leveling.
True, though at the time I was super eager to be able to work on Chalice Dungeons without getting OP from them so it didn't cross my mind.

BB may have less weapons than the Souls games but every weapon is really fun to use and useful in it's own way...that was actually the reason that I made a quality build in this game, so I can use almost all the weapons in the game with decent stat scaling results. :p
Now this is definitely true. They manage to offer as much, if not more, varied playstyles despite the appearance of fewer weapons.

The problem is that the way the game is structured makes it so that you are stuck with your +9/+10 weapons on NG+ and can't try out new weapons you discover without taking a huge hit in damage (especially considering there are weapons you can't get until extremely late in the game and you probably won't see until NG+ on your first play through).

Dyno

And people say arcane is bad lol.

It's so good!

I put my arcane to 15 early in the game because I wanted to try out the relics and give a damage boost to my Flamespewer, which is a fun weapon early on.

At 15 arcane you can use Hunter Bone which came in real handy for stealth, evasion, and fast enemies. You can use that cocoon shell which magic buffs your weapons. Finally you can use the multi-purpose Beast Roar. Three great abilities to get you started.

I'm currently putting my arcane to 20 to see what the other relics do. It's not a big investment to give your character a bunch of new options.

Has anyone been mad enough to get their Arcane to 40 and try out that item that summons a small exploding star? Haven't seen it in action yet.

Alo0oy

Banned
It's so good!

I put my arcane to 15 early in the game because I wanted to try out the relics and give a damage boost to my Flamespewer, which is a fun weapon early on.

At 15 arcane you can use Hunter Bone which came in real handy for stealth, evasion, and fast enemies. You can use that cocoon shell which magic buffs your weapons. Finally you can use the multi-purpose Beast Roar. Three great abilities to get you started.

I'm currently putting my arcane to 20 to see what the other relics do. It's not a big investment to give your character a bunch of new options.

Has anyone been mad enough to get their Arcane to 40 and try out that item that summons a small exploding star? Haven't seen it in action yet.

I'll take my current build to level 45 arcane, I'll try it out once I get there, I think it's the same spell the hunter in byrgenwerth uses.

Dyno

Dunno, I don't have problems with the hammer form (I don't like the sword form). Kills fast and easy, always stuns every enemy so that you get another R2 hit after the initial hit. Ludwigs sword is boring in comparison, but everybody plays with other weapons so it's fine

The Kirkhammer always looks like it should do more damage with those massive swings but it's never that impressive. Ludwig's Sword is a decent weapon but for me it was too much like the swords I used in Demon's and Dark Souls. I wanted something different.

I'm glad I stuck with the Saw Cleaver. I found it's speed made it more viable in the later game against fast enemies and bosses. Once it was enhanced and given good gems it was dealing high damage too. I slayed everthing with that Saw Cleaver and when we learned about the encumbrance and stamina recovery I didn't even bother carrying a second weapon.

It's only drawback is range in it's short form. It takes getting use to.

SkylineRKR

15 Arcane isn't a bad thing. I have it too. Beast Roar for example can push those stone throwing fuckers off the cliff. That weapon buff helps too.

I can't fucking beat Ebrietas, Daughter of the cosmos for the life of me. Every other boss in the main game i didn't have any problem with. Anyone care to help? Or offer me any tips? Whenever i ring the bell the person dies literally within 15 seconds of starting the fight.

Top Bottom