• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Adam Blue

I've not heard of any issues with this one. Check the list again and make sure you have them all. Found one other thread mentioning this, but the person had missed the hunter's torch and another where the person missed the stake driver.

List the weapons you have and I am sure someone on here will point out what you are missing.

I do have them all - even both torches, wooden shield, duplicates of most, etc. I even bought all the cheap ones again. I do have the claw.

My only guess is on NG++, I did the skip to get to upper cathedral fast because the last one I needed was the Rosmarinus. Maybe I need to defeat
Amelia
or something. I did the skip, patch came out, then I got the last weapon.

Gammacide

I'll take my current build to level 45 arcane, I'll try it out once I get there, I think it's the same spell the hunter in byrgenwerth uses.
It sure is. It's the sole reason I brought my arcane to 40. The spell really isn't that good imho, but I've only tried it on mobs in Ailing Loran and it takes maybe half their health. Maybe it'll do more to a larger enemy with an arcane weakness. I'll see later.

Paz

Platinum achieved, I used the Cane exclusively on my first run, then the Chikage on my second, and Chikage/Mercy after that, with Evelyn dealing sick ranged damage.

This is the first time I've ever earned all of the achievements in a game and it was only because I wanted to experience everything I could, some of the best trophy design because it pushes you to keep going but doesn't ask you to grind out anything crazy (Chalice's never felt too grindy for me since they threw interesting bosses at you all along the way).

We've come a long way from Dead Rising's kill 50 thousand zombies achievement (Which funnily enough I did earn because I loved Dead Rising and wanted to know how bad achievements could get :p)

Brilliant game, so much more interesting to me than Demons/Dark Souls because of the drastically different combat style. A generation defining experience.

Alpende

Platinum achieved, I used the Cane exclusively on my first run, then the Chikage on my second, and Chikage/Mercy after that, with Evelyn dealing sick ranged damage.

This is the first time I've ever earned all of the achievements in a game and it was only because I wanted to experience everything I could, some of the best trophy design because it pushes you to keep going but doesn't ask you to grind out anything crazy (Chalice's never felt too grindy for me since they threw interesting bosses at you all along the way).

We've come a long way from Dead Rising's kill 50 thousand zombies achievement (Which funnily enough I did earn because I loved Dead Rising and wanted to know how bad achievements could get :p)

Brilliant game, so much more interesting to me than Demons/Dark Souls because of the drastically different combat style. A generation defining experience.

I don't think the trophies are that great. It's your usual stuff, kill boss, collect these items. That's pretty much it.

Fucking Nightmare of Mensis

the enemies seem to have received a huge power boost. My 8+ Ax is hardly doing damage to those yetti like creatures that can now all of a sudden shoot electricity an spawn snakes. Seems like the only way I can get past this part is to run because I can't take on more than 1 at a time. Also I can't get back to the Hunters Dream from here.

Tonight's going to be a long night. Lvl 82 btw

Alpende

the enemies seem to have received a huge power boost. My 8+ Ax is hardly doing damage to those yetti like creatures that can now all of a sudden shoot electricity an spawn snakes. Seems like the only way I can get past this part is to run because I can't take on more than 1 at a time. Also I can't get back to the Hunters Dream from here.

Just ignore them and rum past them, open the door and that's it.

scrambles

Neo Member
I just got to the part where you got insight from the skull but in the blood moon phase. There were three hunters that murked me several times until I decided to walk up behind the naked one, backstab, visceral, and then trick 2 handed full charge r2 as he got back up. He never did get back up after that. :D
The patch just made this game even better. I was invading and getting invaded constantly. I just need to git gud now.

Is there a reason for invading? I was invaded and died but my souls stayed. Aside from glorious one v one combat, is there any goal>?

Timeaisis

So I finished the game last night. All in all, great game, but I got the horrible, boring ending by accident. The one where you
submit

Anyway, I think my favorite boss was
Martyr Logarius
, although he was really easy for me, he was still a cool fight that I enjoyed. My favorite area were the
Forbidden Woods
and
Cainhurst Castle
, although the latter was too short. Fuck me I know everyone thinks
Gehrman
is the best boss and I didn't even get to fight him.

No kidding. I did a spoiler free first run, just finished the game in this way last night.

Thought for sure agreeing to it would open the final dungeon or at least the final boss or something. Instead, I wrapped up some odds and ends here and there, and the game just fucking ended. What the hell..

I mean I figured there'd be optional stuff yet, but what the hell is the finale then? If C
ainhurst
is optional, is that cage headed idiot and the
Wet Nurse
really supposed to mark the end of the game? Garbage.

Not really feeling starting over. Where's the drive for it? Might keep mucking around in the unending chalice dungeons, but they're pretty dull 5 Pthumeru dungeons in. The game hasn't encouraged the chalice dungeons so far.. Almost all the loot is just more items for more dungeons.. Give me a cool weapon or something for once. I didn't play a dozen hours of chalice dungeons for effing Tomb Mold.

Haha... Oooh boy. Great game, I think, but really bummed out in how aimless it seems, especially near the end. Demon's Souls was way more epic and had something of a climax.

Sigh.

Yup. Same I thought I might get a to go through a sweet dungeon if I chose
to submit
. Nope. I think the most annoying thing, to me, is I was completely locked out of fighting the final boss. Don't click if you don't want to know, but after looking it up it is
Gehrman
. So, yeah...
Micolash and the Wet Nurse
were my final bosses. Both of which were super easy, and I killed on my first try.

I really wanted an epic boss fight to cap off the game, at the very least. That, and the ending I got was very anti-climactic. I'm sure all of them are, but at least you get to fight a final boss with them.

I think I finished off all the optional stuff, too. Which is even more frustrating because the only boss I didn't fight in my first playthrough was the final boss. lol.

Dammit this game is great, but it's super frustrating with some of it's weird decisions. I think the high point for me was
Forbidden Woods

I feel like there is a huuuuuge difficulty spike
once the moon turns red and the enemies respawn unless you find the one spawning them :/

Adam Blue

once the moon turns red and the enemies respawn unless you find the one spawning them :/

It's true. But,
don't be afraid to run past everything for now. Or, just explore and prepare to die by finding things.

Late Flag

So I finished the game last night. All in all, great game, but I got the horrible, boring ending by accident. The one where you
submit

Anyway, I think my favorite boss was
Martyr Logarius
, although he was really easy for me, he was still a cool fight that I enjoyed. My favorite area were the
Forbidden Woods
and
Cainhurst Castle
, although the latter was too short. Fuck me I know everyone thinks
Gehrman
is the best boss and I didn't even get to fight him.

This is why I don't understand why people insist on playing these games "blind" with no access to a wiki or the internet. I understand wanting to play through areas on your own, but Souls games have always featured NPCs with easily-ruined quest lines and points of no return. It seems like you'd at least want to become aware of those, and I think the game is designed with that kind of community interaction in mind.

Paz

Edit spoiler tagged it but this is just general strategic comments about playing the game really.

There's a ton of stuff in the game that feels like that (and even more intense stuff in the chalice dungeons) but after finishing it all I'm not sure it really is that much more difficult or if it's just the designers really understanding the way humans optimize problem solving, it took me an hour to figure out that my hyper cautious play style was making that area much harder than it needed to be.

Don't be afraid to change your tactics, running around getting a lay of the land and figuring out where the chime maidens are is really helpful and the enemies will still be there for you to kill, even if you kill them first they will likely just respawn while you're cautiously checking stuff out.

You can also just run past everything in that whole area if you get really stuck, none of them can really catch you.

Durden77

Getting invaded in
The Unseen Village
is the biggest amount of fucking bullshit. Just spent like half an hour staring at a dude that refused to come fight us and just wanted to lure us down into the enemies that
INFINITELY RESPAWN.
Finally broke and went down there and of course we got murdered, considering it was like 10 (one of which was an invader) vs. 2. Fucking terrible. Wasted all of my time that I had before work to play.

Wait...so that's not just in the
Unseen Village?!

Audioboxer

Reading the guide has me coming back for more. I will say after spending 80 hours with DS2, damn the 60 to 30FPS is noticeable.

Anyway, time to try an all arcane build. I've heard the saw cleaver is the best starting weapon as it can equip a fire gem you get early on?

Timeaisis

This is why I don't understand why people insist on playing these games "blind" with no access to a wiki or the internet. I understand wanting to play through areas on your own, but Souls games have always featured NPCs with easily-ruined quest lines and points of no return. It seems like you'd at least want to become aware of those, and I think the game is designed with that kind of community interaction in mind.

Well I didn't think I could skip something like the final boss! Besides, I didn't play through the game completely blind. I occasionally looked up the areas and such in the game to see if there were places I was missing. Like I said, I did explore all the optional areas, because I looked at the wiki. I just didn't go through walkthroughs or anything.

I had no idea I could lock myself out of the final boss battle because...why the hell would any game do that?

cm osi

I can't fucking beat Ebrietas, Daughter of the cosmos for the life of me. Every other boss in the main game i didn't have any problem with. Anyone care to help? Or offer me any tips? Whenever i ring the bell the person dies literally within 15 seconds of starting the fight.

what's your level? her tentacles kinda prevents you from doing hit and run tactis, i managed to kill her in ng+ by standing really close and slipping under her left arm, hitting one or twice and trying to stay behind her. you can still get hit but it's only one hit so you can recover the damage quickly. when she's dying you better run away or you'll get killed by the laser
also she's weak to kin and bolt, if you want to swap some gems

if you try in coop the best strategy is doing a pincher attack, one player lure ebby and the other hits her from behind

Getting invaded in
The Unseen Village
is the biggest amount of fucking bullshit. Just spent like half an hour staring at a dude that refused to come fight us and just wanted to lure us down into the enemies that
INFINITELY RESPAWN.
Finally broke and went down there and of course we got murdered, considering it was like 10 (one of which was an invader) vs. 2. Fucking terrible. Wasted all of my time that I had before work to play.
I choose there to invade all the time >:D
So many tears of laughter seeing people get rekt. Luring them to lasers is probably the best one.

Saint9806

I can't fucking beat Ebrietas, Daughter of the cosmos for the life of me. Every other boss in the main game i didn't have any problem with. Anyone care to help? Or offer me any tips? Whenever i ring the bell the person dies literally within 15 seconds of starting the fight.

Someone from Gaf helped me a couple nights ago with Ebrietas. I wasn't getting it done on my own. It took us a few tries but we got through. Wish I was around to help ya...

Tomodachi

I don't think the trophies are that great. It's your usual stuff, kill boss, collect these items. That's pretty much it.
Yeah, if I had one let down from the game, it was the trophy set.
No runes trophy and no armor sets trophy left me wanting for more :(

Getting invaded in
The Unseen Village
INFINITELY RESPAWN.

Wait...so that's not just in the
Unseen Village?!

Nope!
Nightmare of Mensis has at least 2 Bell Maidens as well.

Do you use the Ludwig?
I find its 2-hand L2 attack is the best at getting her head and stunning her after several good whacks (similar to most larger bosses with weak points in their head area). Just stand close enough to bait a swing, dodge left into the swing and do a running L2 at her head while it's low from the recovery. Jump back immediately, because she'll likely try to slam her body into the ground since you're close. If you managed to avoid it, her head will be exposed again for another attack (if you jump back right away before the slam, you can immediately do a R2 charge which should go before she gets up from the body slam). The trick is to not get too close on the L2 attack, otherwise you wont be able to jump for enough back to avoid the body slam. But if you get it right, you can get a L2 hit and a charged R2 for every swing you bait until she goes psycho with her blood vomit.

Do you use the Ludwig?
I find its 2-hand L2 attack is the best at getting her head and stunning her after several good whacks (similar to most larger bosses with weak points in their head area). Just stand close enough to bait a swing, dodge left into the swing and do a running L2 at her head while it's low from the recovery. Jump back immediately, because she'll likely try to slam her body into the ground since you're close. If you managed to avoid it, her head will be exposed again for another attack (if you jump back right away before the slam, you can immediately do a R2 charge which should go before she gets up from the body slam). The trick is to not get too close on the L2 attack, otherwise you wont be able to jump for enough back to avoid the body slam. But if you get it right, you can get a L2 hit and a charged R2 for every swing you bait until she goes psycho with her blood vomit.

charge R2 2-handed is a better attack, does almost double the damage of L2

charge R2 2-handed is a better attack, does almost double the damage of L2

Can you charge R2 her head after baiting the swing though? If you charge R2 after baiting the swing, can you get away in time? I normally do the L2 on her head so that I have enough time to jump back and then charge R2 her head again while she's on the ground. Usually by the 3rd-4th round, she gets stunned from the head swings so I can do a visceral.

i thought maybe i was alone about this, apparently it was like this for dark souls 1 and 2.
There is no way i'm playing those games now and having every single item in the game spoiled for me, what a stupidly flawed and lazy design mechanic.
Stunned that most of gaf loves this and wanted it to return.

I found the combat in Demon's Souls to be a bit too slow back when it first came out, so I haven't picked up either of the two others. Coming off Bloodborne, which I loved, I really want to check them out, but the slower combat and the item load screens are some of the things holding me back. I could adjust to the combat speed, but I hate knowing about items before I pick them up and I doubt that I can adjust to that, especially knowing how often I'll die because of how much I suck, haha.

Can you charge R2 her head after baiting the swing though? If you charge R2 after baiting the swing, can you get away in time? I normally do the L2 on her head so that I have enough time to jump back and then charge R2 her head again while she's on the ground. Usually by the 3rd-4th round, she gets stunned from the head swings so I can do a visceral.

ahh...you may not be able to. i didn't even bother with the head, just stayed on her left side, dodged any tenticle swings and charged R2, dodge, charged R2. and just kept repeating that. only stopping to run away from the laser attack

xinek

Ok, I've had it with this bullshit
headless bloodletting beast
in Ihyll. This boss is truly bullshit. His hitbox is bullshit. When I try to stay close, he constantly does these little taps that interrupt attacks and movement. The camera is utter bullshit. When the worm comes out, he adds like 20 new attacks that either aren't telegraphed at all, or I'm very stupid.

If I ring, would someone be willing to help me take down this utter steaming pile? Level 114, glyph waknvjzt.

Edit: Got him. Whew.

Cess007

Damn, i just reached there and i'm like lvl64. Something tells me i'm not ready for that place. Maybe i should go to Upper Cathedral Ward....

What's the best stat distribution for a Chikage build? I read it work a bit different in 2H mode.

As many points into Blood and Vitality as you can/want.

When in 2H mode you'll be doing blood damage (not physical) which from what I heard very few enemies have resistance to, however you'll be losing hp for every second you're in that mode.

Does anyone have a reliable way of taking out the Bloodletting Beast in the Lower Pthumeru Chalice? The fight seems based on luck. The first few times i fought him, i would go under him and start attacking his legs while dodging his attacks fairly easily. I would get him down to about 15% health but then make a mistake and die.

In subsequent fights he seems alot harder. He attacks far more frequently, and when i get under him, he does the grab move which automatically kills me. Any tips? I'm using Blades of Mercy by the way.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Looks like they patched flinging Gascoigne OOB and the Iosefka skip. Good riddance, imo. <3
What is OOB?

You're going to skip games because of the load screens? I'm going to join the chorus of 'what?'

You realize you don't even need to read those screens, right? I don't think I've actually read a single one and I've plat'd Demon's, Dark, and BB.

Heck, just close your eyes for 10 or 15 seconds. Skipping masterpieces over load screens is mindboggling to me.
Yeah, makes absolutely no sense. Also I'm pretty sensitive to spoilers and they didn't spoil anything to begin with.

xinek

Does anyone have a reliable way of taking out the Bloodletting Beast in the Lower Pthumeru Chalice? The fight seems based on luck. The first few times i fought him, i would go under him and start attacking his legs while dodging his attacks fairly easily. I would get him down to about 15% health but then make a mistake and die.

In subsequent fights he seems alot harder. He attacks far more frequently, and when i get under him, he does the grab move which automatically kills me. Any tips? I'm using Blades of Mercy by the way.

I just requested help AND JUST BEAT HIM SOLO. I'm happy to join you and help out -- I'm level 114, post your glyph! I WANT TO PUNISH HIM MORE.

Durden77

I choose there to invade all the time >:D
So many tears of laughter seeing people get rekt. Luring them to lasers is probably the best one.

Hate you. I'll have to give a shot myself though when I start invading. I deserve it.

Nope!
Nightmare of Mensis has at least 2 Bell Maidens as well.

Well at least I know now that you can kill the
bell maidens to make them stop
. Didn't know it worked like that.

BumRush

a few days ago I was having trouble with both ML and Eb. Last night, within 1 hour I beat both of them, Mico and MWN. Sometimes, you just need a break (also, new load times are fantastic).

DrkSage

I knew those assholes from the chalice dungeons that run super fast, with their hair all weirdly flowing around reminded of something:

MgTM0ba.gif

Just edit the girl and give her a hunter cap.

E92 M3

One aspect of chalice dungeon searching still confuses me: Do I need to create a dungeon with modifiers for each chalice type to unlock them for random searching? Or I can just make one dungeon with modifiers and then be able to add them on to everything?

I knew those assholes from the chalice dungeons that run super fast, with their hair all weirdly flowing around reminded of something:

MgTM0ba.gif

I actually posted that in the last OT lol.

Respect

MgTM0ba.gif

I laughed the first time I saw one using a
corpse
as a weapon, then he one shot me with it from full health :(...I stopped laughing pretty quickly.

Fhtagn

The sages are great. The sound they make is an inhaled scream, a friend of mine uses that voice sometimes in his death metal band, Attila from Mayhem/Tormentor does it sometimes as well. They look and sound so black metal my fiancée was all "are you fighting Watain?" when she saw one.

autoduelist

Whats the best late game armor combination?

For general protection, nothing specific.

I just wore whatever looked good except for specific defiled/last chalice bosses. I know that's not a 'true' answer, but the point is more i wouldn't worry about it till endgame, as the armor is all pretty good. I suppose it's good to wear anti-frenzy where appropriate.

I have all the weapons but the trophy didn't unlock. I even bought the starter weapons again, and nothing. Is this an known thing?

sounds like people mentioned the first couple.
i'd recommend counting your unique weapons ... then counting how many you need. just in case your eyes are playing tricks on you.

Well I didn't think I could skip something like the final boss! Besides, I didn't play through the game completely blind. I occasionally looked up the areas and such in the game to see if there were places I was missing. Like I said, I did explore all the optional areas, because I looked at the wiki. I just didn't go through walkthroughs or anything.

I had no idea I could lock myself out of the final boss battle because...why the hell would any game do that?

Because it's only the final boss for one path. You can speed run ng+ if you'd like.

Top Bottom