• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Audioboxer

Bloodborne sound effects need more praise!

The death shriek of the eye collectors is terrifying, especially through a sound system... and who doesn't love the signing of the winter lanterns?

That's the dlc all done, must say I really enjoyed it, I'm getting plenty of coop action with Maria right now as it's a fun way of grabbing some echoes, I might go for the main game platinum I think seeing as I've started a few chalice dungeons on this character.

Bloodborne sound effects need more praise!

The death shriek of the eye collectors is terrifying, especially through a sound system... and who doesn't love the signing of the winter lanterns?

The rest of the game, most definitely.

The DLC... I don't know. OoK seems to be just spamming the one or two pitch variations they have on the 'Forsaken Madman' screech from the Chalice Dungeons. Again.

And again.

And again.

I get it, he's a tantrum-throwing baby, but please at least have ten or more variations on that sound clip if you're going to spam it that hard.

Edit: Likewise, that recycled Cleric Beast audio really does not have enough variety for the length of fight they decided they wanted to have, at least in higher NG+ cycles.

DSmalls84

Just cleared Nightmare frontier and that poison swamp + frenzy mushroom man got me lol. Me: "Almost out, Almost Out...Shit!" Good times.

SkylineRKR

I dunno what happened to me there, but the first ran to his buddy and I think they collided or something because I fought the second one and to my surprise the other was already gone. I found the second one to be easy. Its a matter of killing the first before he runs.

Didn't think of parries. But with some Clawmark runes it should be easy enough to dispose of the first shark.

Fuck the well and fuck Rakuyo

you can cheese it

go further through the level and eventually you'll get to that little opening opposite the ladder, from there you can throw a poison knife to get the attention of the first guy, and then just carefully smack both of them to death from the upper area

NG++ Ludwig is way too fucking hard. I grinded to 151 and I have only gotten him down to half health once out of about 20 tries. My main problem is I simply cannot read his attacks. Any other boss I begin to learn and adapt to their move set but Ludwigs is so random and with no real warning sign as to which attack is coming. Doesn't help that his attacks take half my health each time they land. Guess I have to grind even more to give myself a chance. God damnit.

cheesekao

NG++ Ludwig is way too fucking hard. I grinded to 151 and I have only gotten him down to half health once out of about 20 tries. My main problem is I simply cannot read his attacks. Any other boss I begin to learn and adapt to their move set but Ludwigs is so random and with no real warning sign as to which attack is coming. Doesn't help that his attacks take half my health each time they land. Guess I have to grind even more to give myself a chance. God damnit.
Grinding won't do you much at this point. Try using beast blood pellets and fire paper or summoning. What gems do you have?

chunk3rvd

Getting my shit pushed in by Maria :/ Must have died to her 40 times in the last hour or so. Had far less trouble with the notorious Ludwig. Any tips? I'm only on NG - around level 80 with about 35 BT and Chikage/Evelyn

duxstar

Getting my shit pushed in by Maria :/ Must have died to her 40 times in the last hour or so. Had far less trouble with the notorious Ludwig. Any tips? I'm only on NG - around level 80 with about 35 BT and Chikage/Evelyn

Parry or learn the moves , she's kinda easy when you learn to just move to the side

Literally harder than any bosses. It's such a damn pain
It was easy* to cheese if you go through the caves. Spawn at either of the first two lamps (I used the second one), down the ladder in the Well, which prompts the first guy to start patrolling.

Go back up the ladder, run past everyone (or methodically kill a few of the easier ones), and get ot the last lantern.

Go down the elevator, kill (iirc) two Singing Brain Dudes.

Stand toward the edge and shoot at the patrolling guy until he agros you. These guys are tall enough that most ground slams (Kirk, LHB, etc) will hit them as they clip through the ground. Carefully chip away at them until dead. You can also just hit them ranged if you have a good enough weapon, I suppose.

After numerous tries, I was able to kill them with this method on my very first attempt.

*When I say easy, I mean it's a more consistent method with lower risk for getting dicked.

Jombie

Farmed the shit out of defiled dungeons for gems for the sword of moonlight. Transformed, it hits for about 630-730 AR, which isn't bad. Too bad the better Arcane gems have TERRIBLE drop rates.

BizzyBum

Question. I haven't played this in awhile and hopped on to try Old Hunters and apparently I forgot I started a NG+ so I was all the way back at the beginning. Should I do the DLC with NG+ or should I just start fresh?

KRaZyAmmo

It was easy* to cheese if you go through the caves. Spawn at either of the first two lamps (I used the second one), down the ladder in the Well, which prompts the first guy to start patrolling.

Go back up the ladder, run past everyone (or methodically kill a few of the easier ones), and get ot the last lantern.

Go down the elevator, kill (iirc) two Singing Brain Dudes.

Stand toward the edge and shoot at the patrolling guy until he agros you. These guys are tall enough that most ground slams (Kirk, LHB, etc) will hit them as they clip through the ground. Carefully chip away at them until dead. You can also just hit them ranged if you have a good enough weapon, I suppose.

After numerous tries, I was able to kill them with this method on my very first attempt.

*When I say easy, I mean it's a more consistent method with lower risk for getting dicked.
I know about that method. But I had usually try to separate the two when they do the 2 charge attack. While not as safe or less risky than cheesing it out, I was still able to get the arak unto.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Well and Rakyuo, just hit and run and hide behind the pillar. He'll reset and go back to patrolling. Get him to half health and use bone blade on him and finish up. That's it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Lmao...

I beat the DLC a few days after it was released, and I was ranting and raving about the sharks - easily the second hardest part in the DLC after
Laurence.

Just an absolute nightmare.

Funny that I check this thread for the first time in a couple weeks, and those damn sharks in the well are still the prominent conversation. Without a doubt, one of the most difficult encounters in all of gaming for me.

Ri'Orius

For Str and Arcane you have the Saw Spear, the Holy Moonlight Sword that can be found in the DLC and The Uncanny Logarius Wheel(chalice dungeon treasure. The normal wheel has a bad gem slot) and yes, arcane builds are very viable for PVE.

Seems like StrArc would give you way less damage than StrSkl, since there's no good way to use both Str and Arc on damage scaling? You either have a gem equipped that makes it use Arc or you don't in which case it uses Str/Skl, right? So what's the point in going StrArc? I'd think you'd want to either go StrSkl or straight Arc...

which treasure were the two archers protecting?

Also I am wondering what are some great gems for my rakuyo build and how do i get em?

Best gems for the Rakuyo are the +27.2% Phys. Blood Gems. Get three of them.

To get these gems, you need to completely beat the Chalice Dungeons. To do so, follow this picture guide:

http://i.imgur.com/KgVUkyd.jpg

Once you've followed the guide and gotten a RFC Dungeon, use this Chalice glyph:

pwmf22gu

And speeedrun through the level and kill the Layer 1 boss. You will have to grind for that gem but keep in mind that once you find it, it will have a 2nd random "curse" that will be a downside. The best downside is a "Stamina Cost +3%". If the gem that drops isn't the one you want, exit out of the Chalice and use the glyph again. It won't use any resources and you can do it indefinitely, as long as you are online. These gems will make your rakuyo fucking insane and with my build, I can three shot most players in PvP and tear up most Bosses.

cheesekao

Seems like StrArc would give you way less damage than StrSkl, since there's no good way to use both Str and Arc on damage scaling? You either have a gem equipped that makes it use Arc or you don't in which case it uses Str/Skl, right? So what's the point in going StrArc? I'd think you'd want to either go StrSkl or straight Arc...
The Logarius Wheel and HMS both deal split physical and arcane damage so upping your str and arcane will increase their damage.

Skill/Arc builds only work for the burial blade and blades of mercy.

Donos

Either equip the V. Attack 30% (or 20%) damage boost gem (and maybe the the V.Attack 300 hp healing gem) and parry her 3-4 times till last phase. Or stay close and always dodge forward/left when she attavks then punish her with 1-2 hits. Repeat.

Got her almost a dozen times with just parrying but last phase is hard to parry. In the end i beat her without parry, just with dodge (ng+, lvl117)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just finished the dlc and got all trophies. Played it on NG+ with just my cane and pistol(SKL build). Was around SL 150.

Hardest part was either final boss or optional boss(insane hp), and of course the well sharks(used a shaman bone myself). About half the bosses were fun to learn and takedown, while a couple were let downs. It was good, but didn't impress me as much as the Souls game's DLC. Kind of limp in terms of adding much to the lore as well.

Looking forward to Souls 3 now.

cheezcake

I can demolish Ludwig and Maria but I'm getting destroyed by OoK...

His second phase doesn't have enough openings to get a combo going with my BoM + beast blood pellets, plus the camera feels like half the battle =(

Edit: Nevermind, as soon as I make my neogaf bitch post I beat him haha

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The Logarius Wheel and HMS both deal split physical and arcane damage so upping your str and arcane will increase their damage.
Same for Tonitrus and the Moonlight sword.

It's a Pthumeru Ilyhll but if you follow that guide to unlock FRC dungeons then it won't matter. Once you've done one you can use any glyph.
I see. That must have been patched because before, you needed to create a chalice of the same type before using such a glyph.

Conduit

Banned
Merry Bloodxmas to everyone :

usVPga5.png

BeeDog

So, what's the best way to grind Blood Stone Chunks now?

Is it:

1) Burning through low-level CDs and grind Insight, then buy, or...
2) Farm the werewolves in the Upper Cathedral Ward?

I have two Blood Rocks to waste, but not nearly enough Chunks.

Sealed

Banned
Lmao...

I beat the DLC a few days after it was released, and I was ranting and raving about the sharks - easily the second hardest part in the DLC after
Laurence.

Just an absolute nightmare.

Funny that I check this thread for the first time in a couple weeks, and those damn sharks in the well are still the prominent conversation. Without a doubt, one of the most difficult encounters in all of gaming for me.

it's absolutely ridiculous how difficult these guys are

but at the same time i fucking love it lol

it takes me like an hour+ to get through that encounter

Is it:

There are some accounts that say the werewolves drop rate has improve, but most people still say farm depth 4/5 bosses... Of course the problem is you still have to get to depth 4/5...

Is it:

I usually grind for high-level blood gems with Eye runes on for the extra rune drops. By the time I have what I want, I also have more chunks than I know what to do with.

BeeDog

There are some accounts that say the werewolves drop rate has improve, but most people still say farm depth 4/5 bosses... Of course the problem is you still have to get to depth 4/5...

I already have done all CDs so getting to those depths is not an issue. Any suggestions on how to do this farming?

I usually grind for high-level blood gems with Eye runes on for the extra rune drops. By the time I have what I want, I also have more chunks than I know what to do with.

How and where do you do this blood gem grinding?

Top Bottom