• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

usp84

well once i make one of those, I can change the skin, and add a dodge mechanic in the last one and i'll be adored.

It's a crap post because you don't like it.

and I think it's quite a fine post. I might even say fantastic.

Well what the hell are you still doing here then?

Go become a dev a make one of those.Cant wait!

Oh and i see someone said something about the witcher 3 thats why you are mad.

Its a shame thay you people cant just enjoy games without this pettiness

Well what the hell are you still doing here then?

Go become a dev a make one of those.Cant wait!

Oh and i see someone said something about the witcher 3 thats why you are mad.

Its a shame thay you people cant just enjoy games without this pettiness

well look at you professor layton, I go making an example, and you draw broad conclusions

If it was splatoon tho...man....you might be right.

It makes no difference which game it was lol you simply can't understand.

Have a good night

yes it does, no one made fun of splatoon, because splatoon is fukking dope

but hey man, you have a Merry Christmas alright?

You do know you're post history is public right?

Fuck me for someone who doesn't like it you sure go on about Bloodborne alot.

oh well since you're balls deep in my post history without asking Bill Cosby, remind me, have I ever made a thread about Bloodborne, has any statement about bloodborne in the past been initiated by anything other than a quote?

In this thread however, i simply stated an opinion, and you all attacked me, it's truly like yharnem in here, the atmosphere is top notch.

and you're okay with that?

As if that gives it anymore of an excuse, it makes me look at the fans even more suspect. And then they want to be highly critical of other games lol

man i should become a dev, and re-use assets for DLC, create some shit, and tell everyone some outlandish convoluted story behind all the madness.

Would save me so much effort, money, resources, and I'd make players feel smart. Never have to craft a journey, just re-creating a formula that people don't mind playing over and over again.

inb4 dark souls 3 is GOTY contender too.

I feel you, but thats how they make games to make more games since Dark Souls 2.

yes it does, no one made fun of splatoon, because splatoon is fukking dope

but hey man, you have a Merry Christmas alright?
Eh no idea whats going on here, but first off stop double posting. You can edit your post.

Second, okay you dislike the ending. Thats understandable since everyone has different opinions on the matter. Cool, I understand.

And third, just for future references. Be careful with your posting habits. Its cool to dislike a game but the way you are posting can lead to a ban down the road. And a ban as a Jr. member is permanent.

Eh no idea whats going on here, but first off stop double posting. You can edit your post.

Second, okay you dislike the ending. Thats understandable since everyone has different opinions on the matter. Cool, I understand.

And third, just for future references. Be careful with your posting habits. Its cool to dislike a game but the way you are posting can lead to a ban down the road. And a ban as a Jr. member is permanent.

Why, I didn't insult anybody or say anything risk-ay.

i'm just joking around with my boys having a good time.

well yes, I do like to feel the games i'm playing are fully realized. It tends to be a common desire.

and a narrative masterpiece is not required to put effort into a conclusion.

But regarding the narrative masterpiece, these same people seemingly understand that Bloodborne has a "focus", yet they go ahead and critique other games for something that is not their primary focus, say...the witcher 3 and combat. So you see, it works both ways. make sure and do your civil duty and tell that to everyone that critiques other games for something that isn't their focus.

yet I doubt that will happen. alas you'll only strike against me, because I spoke ill of the old blood.

So this is probably a response to that Witcher 3 thread, makes sense

Why would people not compare the two games? They are both action RPGs that have a somewhat similar combat system.

People, don't feed the troll. Let the mods do their thing.

The Logarius Wheel and HMS both deal split physical and arcane damage so upping your str and arcane will increase their damage.

How does the Tonitrus work? It scales with STR in normal mode and with both when electrified?

As someone who just got bloodborne, should I buy the DLC before or after my first playthrough?

Any is fine, but do NOT finish the game before playing the DLC, since that'll kick you immediately to NG. This is bad for three reasons: you have to play again until the point when the DLC unlocks, the DLC will be harder (as it scales with NG+), and you'll miss on upgrade materials (you can collect items on each NG loop, so skipping the DLC in the first loop is a net loss).

So it would seem that STR is the best companion to ARC, much like SKL seems to be the best companion to BLT. Only exception to these would be the Burial Blade and Blade of Mercy, but neither seems to have a lot of ARC scaling anyway.

According to the wiki, the Burial Blade gains 2.5 more damage from points in Skill than Arcane at every stage, so even if Arcane is sub 25 and Skill is 25-49, it's still worth more investing in Skill. In fact, it gains more damage from Strength than Arcane (not much more, but still).

The Blade of Mercy doesn't have a similar table, but considering its S skill Scaling and B Arcane, coupled with its low base damage, it's probably even less impacted by Arcane, right?

Most of the STR weapons assosiated with Arc, scales better with STR since none of the weapons do magic damage at all and the scaling benefits Str/Skll rather than Arc until Moonlight sword which specialized in Arcane damage due casting magic on its trick form.

The Burial Blade is a Str/Skll hibrid which beneficts from both stats but favors Skll, the Ludwig blade is its other side of the coin which favors Str

Tronitus is a special case since his base damage is Arc in trick mode not Str.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Most of the STR weapons assosiated with Arc, scales better with STR since none of the weapons do magic damage at all and the scaling benefits Str/Skll rather than Arc until Moonlight sword which specialized in Arcane damage due casting magic on its trick form.

The Burial Blade is a Str/Skll hibrid which beneficts from both stats but favors Skll, the Ludwig blade is its other side of the coin which favors Str

Tronitus is a special case since his base damage is Arc in trick mode not Str.

Ludwig Blade does not favor Strength other than its initial requirement and up to +6, since it gets B and B in +7. In fact, if you want to use Ludwig's Holy Blade, it would be much more beneficial if you just leave the STR at 16 and raise SKL for it instead since the damage would be there AND you will enjoy much higher visceral damage than you would have if you focus on raising STR for it.

You are right, still Ludwig sword is bad for Vis and you are losing damage to bosses since Ludwig is better to aim for L2 vertical and concussive attacks to cause some serious wounds on bosses limbs than trying to Vis enemies at all. Just my personal use of the weapon anyway.

BizzyBum

Depending what kind of stats you built in NG. If you have high vitality and reasonably good other stats and at least a +9 weapon then DLC should be fine. I went straight to DLC from NG+ start and got until the first boss but then needed to level up quite a bit to best him.

If you start a new game you'll have to play quite far in the main game to be high enough level to take on the DLC so it might be better to just suck it up and do it on NG+.

Okay, thanks. I think I have 50 vit and a +10 Holy Blade.

Gbraga

Finally finished the Research Hall, goooodddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayum y'all.

I was loving the area already, but holy shit
these boss fights were amazing. Even the gimmicky easy fight was fun as hell, when the fucking Saint Seiya cosmos bullshit filled the screen, I lost it. The music was incredible in both of them as well.

I'm really taking my sweet ass time with this DLC, but it's so worth it. Bloodborne lore is the best.

2AdEPT

So what am i supposed to do exactly?

I just made the great ihyll chalice and still can't meet the requirements of the code...

you have to kill all the bosses in that chalice! I just got through it right now..frggin queen is dead but I ahd to summon the grunts.

Also have to check the fetid, rotted, and curse boxes when creating a level 5 root dungeon of your choice...i chose the isz as I had all the materials.

edit: it worked im in!

silva1991

these boss fights were amazing. Even the gimmicky easy fight was fun as hell, when the fucking Saint Seiya cosmos bullshit filled the screen, I lost it. The music was incredible in both of them as well.

I'm really taking my sweet ass time with this DLC, but it's so worth it. Bloodborne lore is the best.

You still haven't finished the DLC? Oo

I don't like the LF, but that cosmos attack was very cool.

2AdEPT

Your vid is perfect showcase of why its worth investing in Endurance past 15. Couple times there you were able to get 4-5 hits in.

LOL. I never allow my endurance to dip in any souls game...vitality yes, for challenges etc. but dont gimp my ability to DO things. ;)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

The Research Hall might be my favorite area in a Soulsborne game.

Plip, plop, plip, plop
Splish, splash, splish, splash

Lady Maria, I'm a robin!

And those assholes with the sticks are tough. The fast ones are easy to kill but dangerous in packs.

Novocaine

Research Hall spoiler

Is it possible to get back up to the top of the research hall after rotating the stairs? I turned the crank and started heading down and a hunter killed me. I didn't get the brain fluid.

Research Hall spoiler

Is it possible to get back up to the top of the research hall after rotating the stairs? I turned the crank and started heading down and a hunter killed me. I didn't get the brain fluid.
I believe that there's a ladder that takes you up there. I'll have to double check.

Kieli

Research Hall spoiler

No problems. Just head straight up.

Hey guys!
and troll I can't stop laughing at

I made a Bloodborne PSN Community! You can friend me on PSN then look at my communities, and request to join!

I'm going to bed now so I'll get ya in the morning!

PSN is GAF name :D

Yeah, it's super strong. Honestly, it pisses me off a bit, because I want to recommend it to game design students as a great example of complex vertical level design and non-obnoxious reuse of space, but it's nestled really deep into a platform-exclusive game so I know most of them would never see it.

RedFox85

I haven't hit the DLC yet I just cleared the first boss but I have to say this game is quite fantastic, it's a souls game through and through! The difficulty is real though.. I wasn't the greatest at parrying in souls to begin with and the change to backstab has hurt me. As a general rule what weapons are easier for a beginner to get into? Right now I am leaning toward the strength type with a pistol in the offhand but I really like the cane/whip combo as it just feels so cool.

Also, I read online that unlocking this DLC is really obtuse.. how can I be sure that I don't miss it? How many hours into the experience would you say before one typically gets there?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
research hall is boring af wtf

To each their own. But it has everything one could want out of this kind of game. Going floor by floor with this huge winding staircase in the middle was neat and gives a tangible sense of progression if you decide to clear it sequentially. There were the traps which the player could avoid entirely if they're perceptive. Bloodborne was kind of lacking in traps. I can only think of the Forbidden Forest ones. NPCs to talk to which helps the pacing since its not constant on edge all the time. The option to actually use stealth which is rare in this series. You have the horror angle with the pitch dark patient rooms and a nice little sidequest to do (brain fluid) for a bonus area with some nice treasure if you complete it. And the two boss fights afterwards were built up perfectly, with one being the most powerful versions of the regular enemies you just fought and the other being the character who story-wise the Research Hall revolves around.

I haven't hit the DLC yet I just cleared the first boss but I have to say this game is quite fantastic, it's a souls game through and through! The difficulty is real though.. I wasn't the greatest at parrying in souls to begin with and the change to backstab has hurt me. As a general rule what weapons are easier for a beginner to get into? Right now I am leaning toward the strength type with a pistol in the offhand but I really like the cane/whip combo as it just feels so cool.

Also, I read online that unlocking this DLC is really obtuse.. how can I be sure that I don't miss it? How many hours into the experience would you say before one typically gets there?

If you want a good beginner weapon for a strength build (that you could use for the whole game), use the Hunter Axe instead of the cane. Its still early, though, so you can decide to go Skill if you want, which is what the Cane scales best off of.

The DLC isn't super obtuse to find. Skeletons in the Hunter Dream tell you after a certain boss that you get a new item. And at any rate, the difficulty is very much late game so even though you unlock it relatively early, hold off until you're a good level (say, 70). You'll know when you're close to beating the game.

I was sort of new to the series (didn't finish dark souls) and I went with the threaded cane. It treated me extremely well up until the last boss in the DLC. I felt like strength builds had the most interesting weapons.

For the DLC, The game gives you a slight heads up but it's not the most intuitive. Depending on your choice of play it could be like 2-10 hours before you get it. And your character will be underleveled. It's best to do it right before you finish the game.

Boss spoilers:

FUCK LAURENCE!! I can't kill him, no chance, I barely made up to his second phase but then I don't know what to do, can't get a grip on the timing. Fuck him, fuck.

I'm playing on New Game ++, first time with Old Hunters, saw a couple of videos but people seems to do more damage than me, and even in those videos people have luck.

Ratrat

I think I just fought
Maria
for the 50th time. I was wasting too much shit so Ive been practicing with 0 vials and bullets and would have had her with one last viceral but I fucked it up. Does she have anything shes weak to? Fire and lightning dont seem to do anything.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I think I just fought
Maria
for the 50th time. I was wasting too much shit so Ive been practicing with 0 vials and bullets and would have had her with one last viceral but I fucked it up. Does she have anything shes weak to? Fire and lightning dont seem to do anything.

she's easy to stagger with certain weapons

ez against co-op lol

I think I just fought
Maria

Fast weapons with good stagger, ripostes, that's about it. As she's a non-Beast, non-Kin, non-"Cainhurst" enemy she shouldn't have any outstanding weaknesses or strengths.

silva1991

I think I just fought
Maria

You can see he armor stats here and she isn't particularly weak to any element.

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Maria+Hunter+Set

she can can be staggered to death that's her weakness :p

CatPee

Boss spoilers:

FUCK LAURENCE!! I can't kill him, no chance, I barely made up to his second phase but then I don't know what to do, can't get a grip on the timing. Fuck him, fuck.

I'm playing on New Game ++, first time with Old Hunters, saw a couple of videos but people seems to do more damage than me, and even in those videos people have luck.

Beast Blood Pellet and dodge.

That's pretty much what I did for both L's. Even at high Insight, the fights were two-minute affairs with the pellet.

Bruzur

Neo Member
I think I just fought
Maria

During my NG+6 run, I used the Executioner's Gloves / Augur of Ebrietas and Whirligig Saw (1H) to stun her repeatedly.
She can be stun-locked so easily, she's borderline the easiest to "cheese" of any boss thus far.

Ratrat

she's easy to stagger with certain weapons

ez against co-op lol

Fast weapons with good stagger, ripostes, that's about it. As she's a non-Beast, non-Kin, non-"Cainhurst" enemy she shouldn't have any outstanding weaknesses or strengths.

You can see he armor stats here and she isn't particularly weak to any element.

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Maria+Hunter+Set

she can can be staggered to death that's her weakness :p
Thats basically what I'm doing. I know it shouldn't be hard. Sometimes I can parry her four times in a row but my luck runs out about then, Her 2nd and 3rd phases really mess me up. Im still so bad at this game. :(

During my NG+6 run, I used the Executioner's Gloves / Augur of Ebrietas and Whirligig Saw (1H) to stun her repeatedly.
She can be stun-locked so easily, she's borderline the easiest to "cheese" of any boss thus far.
Never even used these but I might try this.

silva1991

Thats basically what I'm doing. I know it shouldn't be hard. Sometimes I can parry her four times in a row but my luck runs out about then, Her 2nd and 3rd phases really mess me up. Im still so bad at this game. :(

Watch Lobos first only challenge against her. it's a good video to learn when to dodge her attacks.

or watch Emnay's video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MupJkmZo_eQ

I don't recommend parrying her third phase because it's way too punishing if you miss.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It's a bit bittersweet now that I'm more or less at the end of the content.

DLC done.
Main game done (technically at final boss but YAAAAAAWN at this point since I'm way overpowered)
All weapons
All tools
All guns
Most of the armour
Most of the emotes
Beat final chalice boss

I only have to do two last things, which are ridiculously easy and I get my platinum. This will be the first I'll have gotten on any goddamn game, and it is the only one that entertained me enough to actually go for it.

While I took vacation days and poured hours into fallout and metal gear and played some witcher 3 and tried other game of the year contenders, this is without a doubt the best thing I played in 2015. It's strange that I came in fairly late after everyone and struggled like hell in the first area alone with countless deaths. I got familiar enough with it to retry from the beginning and I did a waste of skin with a friend of mine and we beat it together. I put BB away but still had the itch to try another build, so I went Bloodtinge and pretty much wrecked everything up to the final boss. It wasn't enough for me and while I'm not a huge fan of the chalice dungeons, I liked the game enough to go through hell and back to beat the final boss there as well.

I'm kind of left wondering what the hell in going to do once I'm done. I'm not really into Souls and everything else I've played just makes me wish I was playing BB.

GG FROM SOFTWARE!

KiteGr

Now the 70 Euro Question:

Does Bloodborne: Game of the Year edition contains the expansion ON THE DISK?

Or is the same game as before with a bunch of redeem codes in it?

NEO0MJ

So, which version of Ludwig's Moonlight Blade is considered the best? Or does it not matter?

Now the 70 Euro Question:

Does Bloodborne: Game of the Year edition contains the expansion ON THE DISK?

Or is the same game as before with a bunch of redeem codes in it?

I think I read that the content is on disk.

Gbraga

You still haven't finished the DLC? Oo

I don't like the LF, but that cosmos attack was very cool.

Haha, I know >_<

It's reaaaaally hot here these days, so I'm not playing that often, and it doesn't help that I take my sweet ass time doing things. Yesterday I probably spent more time with the monocle than with my weapon equiped.

Plip, plop, plip, plop
Splish, splash, splish, splash

Lady Maria, I'm a robin!

And those assholes with the sticks are tough. The fast ones are easy to kill but dangerous in packs.

I wouldn't go that far, personally, but it's amazing indeed. I also loved how the Hand Lantern is finally useful. Not for a long portion of the game, but there are parts where it's very dark, but you still need your gun because the enemies there are no joke.

I saw everyone talking about that Plip plop stuff and thought "oh boy, here comes a forced meme", I hate it when devs do that, like with Johnny in Witcher 3, but to my surprise, this shit is actually 100% lore related and justified, and actually catchy.

Plip, plop.

Drip, drop.

Top Bottom