• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Alo0oy

Banned
Have you used the bloodletter? That thing is sweet.

Unfortunately my Bloodtinge build doesn't have enough strength to wield it, it's level 110 so I don't want to break my PvP level. Might come back to it later since I have 3 months 'till DS3 is released & there's nothing remotely interesting coming out in the meantime.

I just keep seeing people swear by the Whirligig as the best Soulsborne weapon ever, & I feel like I'm missing out on all the fun. I hope it's not as underwhelming as LHB as that weapon had similar reception.

I just keep seeing people swear by the Whirligig as the best Soulsborne weapon ever, & I feel like I'm missing out on all the fun. I hope it's not as underwhelming as LHB as that weapon had similar reception.

It's pretty darn good. I was afraid to use it at first because there's a slight delay between when you press the attack button and when the saw actually makes contact with the enemy, so it took a little getting used to. I was so used to LHB at that point I was afraid of anything different. But the Whirligig is quite versatile, and the sustained L2 attack is pretty great in the right situations.

rtcn63

I'm in NG+, and the Whirligig falters against those giant snakes in the Forbidden Woods. Otherwise it's a pretty good primary weapon, I've been switching between it and the HMS as necessary. I'd still take Ludwig's over the both of them though.

Alo0oy

Banned
It's pretty darn good. I was afraid to use it at first because there's a slight delay between when you press the attack button and when the saw actually makes contact with the enemy, so it took a little getting used to. I was so used to LHB at that point I was afraid of anything different. But the Whirligig is quite versatile, and the sustained L2 attack is pretty great in the right situations.

Yeah, I just rushed a new character all the way to the weapon, my base saw cleaver actually does better damage than a +2 Whirligig, I imagine it gets better at higher levels though.

I like the moveset, the normal form does shit damage though, it takes 4-5 hits to kill normal Yharnamites.

I like the moveset, the normal form does shit damage though, it takes 4-5 hits to kill normal Yharnamites.

I don't even use the normal form. It's pretty worthless. I just use LHB if I need something quick or heavy. My Whirligig+10 is only used in pizza cutter form.

Alo0oy

Banned
I don't even use the normal form. It's pretty worthless. I just use LHB if I need something quick or heavy. My Whirligig+10 is only used in pizza cutter form.

Yeah, it's pretty worthless, I don't know why I expected more from a pole lol, I'll get it to +10 & gem it tomorrow.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I am not a smart man and am playing the DLC for the first time in NG++.

Anyway, I got to the end and...I don't know what to do about the Orphan of Kos. The first part is fine, but the second part is RIDICULOUS. I don't even know when to get a hit in, and the damage is insane. Pls advise.

Rozart

Is there any easy trick to getting past the Cthulhu Elephant that blocks the way to Laurence??

I just want to summon Valtr and be on my merry way up the stairs to meet up with Laurence. Sometimes, I'll try to run past him but it seems like there's 50/50 chance that I'll either 1) won't be able to sidle through what looks to be a pretty sizable gap between Cthulhu Elephant and the door or 2) I somehow aggro'd him too much that he follows me up the stairs to the fog door (bye bye Valtr summon).

If there's a sure way to easily get past him, I'd really like to know.

Alo0oy

Banned
Get it to +10 and the pizza cutter form will destroy bosses.

I'm not worried about bosses, serrated weapons were already OP against beasts, and thrust weapons melt through Kin, that's why I named the church pick "boss killer" as it does both (as well as righteous damage).

We'll see if the Whirligig is up to par.

Is there any easy trick to getting past the Cthulhu Elephant that blocks the way to Laurence??

I just want to summon Valtr and be on my merry way up the stairs to meet up with Laurence. Sometimes, I'll try to run past him but it seems like there's 50/50 chance that I'll either 1) won't be able to sidle through what looks to be a pretty sizable gap between Cthulhu Elephant and the door or 2) I somehow aggro'd him too much that he follows me up the stairs to the fog door (bye bye Valtr summon).

Not really. It was actually one of the more frustrating parts of facing Laurence. When you die on your way there thanks to this guy you feel like pulling your hair out. He does drop 6 Blood Vials though so for me it was worth killing him on every trip.

Alo0oy

Banned
Not really. It was actually one of the more frustrating parts of facing Laurence. When you die on your way there thanks to this guy you feel like pulling your hair out. He does drop 6 Blood Vials though so for me it was worth killing him on every trip.

There is, kill the Yharnamites and as soon as the door opens run to his right (your left). You need to be quick though, if the door fully opens he attacks immediately.

Rozart

Daaammn it. Was really hoping there was some sort of trick. I don't mind the trek up to the cathedral but that guy seriously, seriously annoys me. Dying to him before getting to Laurence is the worst.

EDIT:
There is, kill the Yharnamites and as soon as the door opens run to his right (your left). You need to be quick though, if the door fully opens he attacks immediately.

YES. Thank you. Will try this out tonight!

Melchiah

He never followed me up to the fog gate. Run/dodge past him and go up the stairs when there's an opening, and wait until he's returned to his post. Then sneak up on him, and do a charged backstab & visceral combo. You don't even need to kill him to be able to summon Valtr, as the summon spot is far enough from him. I did that about seven times when I tried to beat Laurence, and it worked every time.

Tak3n

Banned
Ok, hand up if you cheesed the two sharks to get the Rakuyo. I tried about 10 times doing it the normal route but in the end I went with cheese

Ok, hand up if you cheesed the two sharks to get the Rakuyo. I tried about 10 times doing it the normal route but in the end I went with cheese

Is that down the well? If so I only did that about 30 minutes ago and I didn't cheese it. I did crap myself a little when half way through the fight with the first one the second one came out of nowhere. I managed to win though.

Alo0oy

Banned

I didn't know about the Shaman Bone Blade trick my first time or that people were having trouble with it, and I got it in my second try.

But in my Rakuya build the second time, I proceeded to get rekt 10+ times, I was using the Blade of Mercy both times, but I don't know why it was significantly harder the second time. Probably a psychological effect of going there with the mindset of cheesing it + the community planting the idea that this well is bad news.

I have since gone into that well again, and still died a few times there.

gunbo13

I'm in NG+, and the Whirligig falters against those giant snakes in the Forbidden Woods.
The only thing you do with the snakes in FW is run past them. Tedium on tap.

Giant Enemy Spider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gknkyQQjcy8

Went with a different style here. Low vial, longer fight, less aggressive, using beast claw and beast form. Oh and not real cheap tactics except on her second form, I did camp her legs. I'm not THAT into playing bosses straight up. Ended up taking 7 mins.

I take major damage in this fight (per hit, not overall).

laxu

Cheesed them on both my NG and NG+ runs. That enemy is just not fun in any way. Has too many really strong moves and it's hard to figure out the parry timings. Plus that damn slide attack is brutal.

neoemonk

I am not a smart man and am playing the DLC for the first time in NG++.

Anyway, I got to the end and...I don't know what to do about the Orphan of Kos. The first part is fine, but the second part is RIDICULOUS. I don't even know when to get a hit in, and the damage is insane. Pls advise.

I was in this boat last week. Now I'm in the Laurence boat, but I'm at that point in phase 2 where I know what to do, I just need to calm down and execute (pun intended!).

For Orphan phase 2, I kept medium distance and dodged for the most part. There were a few attacks that I just never got the dodge timing down and ate them every time. He does something like a three ground slam and then a jump slam - yep, I'm eating those hits.

I don't know how you handled phase 1, but I got good at baiting out the jump and then punishing with a backstab. You can still do that in phase 2, but it's less common. He has some openings after attacks and that's where I punished. Recognizing them and avoiding them just took repetition. I will say I beat phase 2 much quicker than I "beat" phase 1.

I preferred to fight out in the water, and when he calls down lighting I beat on him a little bit if I was close enough.

Laurence and Orphan, to me, were about first learning to dodge what they throw at you, and then slowly working in safe hits where you can. When I beat Orphan I was getting to the second phase consistently without taking damage. I worked in parries where I could but often times screwed up the timing on them. Backstabs were where it's at for me.

I was around level 120 on NG+ for what it's worth. Threaded Cane +10 on Orphan. Skill/Arcane build.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I was in this boat last week. Now I'm in the Laurence boat, but I'm at that point in phase 2 where I know what to do, I just need to calm down and execute (pun intended!).

For Orphan phase 2, I kept medium distance and dodged for the most part. There were a few attacks that I just never got the dodge timing down and ate them every time. He does something like a three ground slam and then a jump slam - yep, I'm eating those hits.

I don't know how you handled phase 1, but I got good at baiting out the jump and then punishing with a backstab. You can still do that in phase 2, but it's less common. He has some openings after attacks and that's where I punished. Recognizing them and avoiding them just took repetition. I will say I beat phase 2 much quicker than I "beat" phase 1.

I preferred to fight out in the water, and when he calls down lighting I beat on him a little bit if I was close enough.

Laurence and Orphan, to me, were about first learning to dodge what they throw at you, and then slowly working in safe hits where you can. When I beat Orphan I was getting to the second phase consistently without taking damage. I worked in parries where I could but often times screwed up the timing on them. Backstabs were where it's at for me.

I was around level 120 on NG+ for what it's worth. Threaded Cane +10 on Orphan. Skill/Arcane build.

Yeah, I've basically just been parrying all of phase 1. The slow over head slam and the charge forward where he uppercuts you are pretty easy to land. I try to backstab his jumping attack but sometimes find the range a little weird, but I can get by without taking a hit if I focus.

2 is just insane though. I've basically tried to still parry his slashes but I sometimes get a long stretch where he will do nothing but leap around and throw those explosive placentas around, which I don't think I can do much about. I also still don't totally get his normal jumps slams as he sometimes does a few in a row, but sometimes when he lands he's open...I guess if there's a tell for this I haven't been able to see it yet.

Good point with the water, one issue is I've been pretty haphazard about where I fight. I usually stay on ground in phase 2 since the lightning doesn't reach the door there, but I use the water in the first phase. Maybe I should just get better at dodging the attack and stay there. I'm level 150 on NG++ with axe and whirligig +10, not sure if that's good or bad.

Been helping out people beating Rom in co-op, but recently I've been seeing a lot of this as soon as I'm summoned:

hiXCLdn.png

DRgTQ5T.png

I usually take out the choir woman as soon as I land on someone else's game, and then these life bars tend to pop out soon after.

Ice9

Anyone kind enough to help me on the first run through of Orphan of Kos? I'm tired of trying to solo him...

SL 106

PSN: djice9

Ice9

I'm getting fatigued but really want to complete the game tonight. Just have Laurence and final boss left. Anyone want to help?

First play, SL 106

Send message on PSN: djice9

neoemonk

One cool little touch that I found after returning to the base game was getting the Madaras Whistle. I saw the NPC but didn't know why he was there and then killed him and read the item description. Wonder if there are other little touches like that in the game.

Alo0oy

Banned
Okay, got my pizza cutter to +6, now that's what I'm talking about, this weapon is unbelievably OP, it has serrated damage in its transformed form as well, so using that and fire paper made every beast enemy in the game a joke. The flat damage from the paper actually applies to every tick when doing the L2 attack.

However, it does suck against Kin, so I'm gonna need the Tonitrus as secondary. I kinda wanted to use Amygdala's arm as my secondary, but that weapon is blunt only.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
Okay, got my pizza cutter to +6, now that's what I'm talking about, this weapon is unbelievably OP, it has serrated damage in its transformed form as well, so using that and fire paper made every beast enemy in the game a joke. The flat damage from the paper actually applies to every tick when doing the L2 attack.

However, it does suck against Kin, so I'm gonna need the Tonitrus as secondary. I kinda wanted to use Amygdala's arm as my secondary, but that weapon is blunt only.

Hmm... I might need to invest in this now. Would probably make Lawrence the Worst Vicar easier to deal with...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Have you used the bloodletter? That thing is sweet.

Ehhh..... the damage is at the lower end even with 50 Strength + 50 Bloodtinge and high-tier gems and Bloodletter doesn't stagger well, surprisingly, even in it's "true, terrifying form." The Frenzy special attack is practically almost useless and the health penalty from transforming the weapon is quite crippling in sustained fights where you might want to switch to your gun for certain circumstances.

I am honestly kind of disappointed in this weapon.

laxu

You could use any thrust weapon against kin as they're weak to that or just switch to whatever since the number of kin enemies is quite low. A high level Church pick with 22% or better gems is the real punisher, seriously powerful against basically anything.

Alo0oy

Banned
You could use any thrust weapon against kin as they're weak to that or just switch to whatever since the number of kin enemies is quite low. A high level Church pick with 22% or better gems is the real punisher, seriously powerful against basically anything.

Church pick is inarguably the best PvE weapon in the game, it does serrated damage, righteous damage, and thrust damage + it can be buffed with paper. So the weapon has the weaknesses of 80+% of the enemies in the game covered.

Unfortunately it's a skill weapon, so it wouldn't work well on my build, I'm stuck with the Tonitrus for now.

I haven't tried it on Laurence yet, but I imagine that L2 + Bolt Paper + beast blood pallet would melt him.

The only problem with Laurence and L2 is finding the opportunity to use it. I think I only snuck it in once or twice during that fight. It's too fast-paced a battle to leave yourself open for that long.

Ghazi

What level would you guys recommend I jump into the DLC at? I started a new character to play it since my main was in NG+.

What level would you guys recommend I jump into the DLC at? I started a new character to play it since my main was in NG+.

Go as soon as you open it and if you cant cope just keep doing the main game to level etc then going back in. If you leave it too late it all becomes somewhat trivial on new game. I did it the 1st time with an end game character and just steamrollered everything.

Alo0oy

Banned
I dont think he is weak to Bolt, he is that one of those new pokemon who have no weakness like Lucario or the black eeve.

It's not about it being his weakness, it's about the bolt paper giving you flat damage for every single tick from the L2.

In comparison to the bosses before it, without giving me much information, how hard is the boss in Fishing Hamlet?

It's probably the hardest or second hardest boss in the game.

Top Bottom