• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

laxu

Damn. =( I guess I'll just have to raise the vitality stat then, as my skill is already at 50 and I have 20.3%+18%+18% physical attack gems. What buffs would offer the best increase for visceral strikes against Kos?

You should at least farm the Winter Lanterns right before Kos for some cursed 22% gems. Against OoK any "ATK down against beasts", "up stamina cost" or "weapon durability down" should be ok. KoS is only regarded as kin in his second phase apparently. Generally for cursed gems the only ones you want to avoid are "ATK down against beasts", "ATK down" (as it often negates the benefit) and "HP depletes" since there are lots of beasts in the game and not that many kin. OoK is one of the few bosses where the "ATK down against beasts" is fine.

So equip all the eye runes you've got, the best frenzy resistance armor you have and stack up on those Bold hunter's marks. If you do it right you can kill both Winter Lanterns in the caves while only taking one frenzy. It's generally cheaper to spend a few blood vials rather than use sedatives when going against them.

My tactic is to use LHB 2H mode to kill them, take any item they drop and quickly rush to the second one and kill it then spend two vials to get to full health so even if the second frenzy hits you won't die.

Melchiah

IMO it would be much more beneficial for you to attempt not to visceral him, but to backstab him, since he has several attacks that jump over you and thus giving you a chance to do it. Quick weapons are necessary, obviously, so no weapons like Whirligig.

You should at least farm the Winter Lanterns right before Kos for some cursed 22% gems. Against OoK any "ATK down against beasts", "up stamina cost" or "weapon durability down" should be ok. KoS is only regarded as kin in his second phase apparently. Generally for cursed gems the only ones you want to avoid are "ATK down against beasts", "ATK down" (as it often negates the benefit) and "HP depletes" since there are lots of beasts in the game and not that many kin. OoK is one of the few bosses where the "ATK down against beasts" is fine.

So equip all the eye runes you've got, the best frenzy resistance armor you have and stack up on those Bold hunter's marks. If you do it right you can kill both Winter Lanterns in the caves while only taking one frenzy. It's generally cheaper to spend a few blood vials rather than use sedatives when going against them.

My tactic is to use LHB 2H mode to kill them, take any item they drop and quickly rush to the second one and kill it then spend two vials to get to full health so even if the second frenzy hits you won't die.

Thanks for the tips. I finally did it. It was so close with a tiny bit of health left, and all vials gone. I never got the Clawmark +30% rune, but I used +26.7% Kin damage gem (as recommended), coupled with Clawmark +20%, +4 vials, and 4% all damage reduction runes. I also raised vitality to 50. Tried few times with the Cane, but I only succeeded when I switched to Moonlight Sword, and stopped trying to parry all the time. It was by no means a perfect match, as I fucked up several times, but goddam it felt great to beat the bastard.

tscMANRl.jpg

It's finally over, and to tell the truth I don't think the DLC will draw me back, like the main game did. I just found it too frustrating compared to it.

Here's a video of my desperate last boss fight:
https://youtu.be/T-zSyYDmG5Q

Timeaisis

If you start a new game you have to play at least until Rom before the DLC is doable. In NG+ if you picked up all 3 Moon runes on your NG run you can level up really quickly by grinding Lecture Building 1st floor which is pretty quick to access anyway. Being able to make so many more blood echoes really helps.

I had a lot of fun playing the DLC on NG+. Sure it was tough but not impossible. It also helps if you've done the chalice dungeons as you can farm some good gems too.

I've decided I'm going to do a roll character, play the DLC and then go back and do it on NG+.

Speaking of which, I'm super torn on builds. I just started, beat Father G. I'm at level 22, and initially wanted to run a STR build because the DLC weapons I was interested in scaled with STR (my other NG+ build was all SKL cane).

However, I really, really dislike slow weapons, and it's been a bit of a slog.

I'm at Lvl 22
14 VIt
14 END
17 STR
10 SKL
9 BLT
8 ARC

I wish I just went with skill again...ugh. Any way I can salvage this? I suppose I could go SKL/STR and just cheese everything with Ludwig's Blade, but ehhh.

Wanna roll an arcane character. Any advice, tips, thoughts, impressions? Really don't know what I'm getting into here, but I wanna play something drastically different from my usual strength builds

laxu

I've decided I'm going to do a roll character, play the DLC and then go back and do it on NG+.

Speaking of which, I'm super torn on builds. I just started, beat Father G. I'm at level 22, and initially wanted to run a STR build because the DLC weapons I was interested in scaled with STR (my other NG+ build was all SKL cane).

However, I really, really dislike slow weapons, and it's been a bit of a slog.

I'm at Lvl 22
14 VIt
14 END
17 STR
10 SKL
9 BLT
8 ARC

I wish I just went with skill again...ugh. Any way I can salvage this? I suppose I could go SKL/STR and just cheese everything with Ludwig's Blade, but ehhh.

So what weapon have you been using then? Playing with the slow weapons does require a bit different strategies but they can be quite fun. Amygdalan Arm is my favorite.

myco666

Wanna roll an arcane character. Any advice, tips, thoughts, impressions? Really don't know what I'm getting into here, but I wanna play something drastically different from my usual strength builds

Worst build in the game because of the work you have to put into it compared to other builds. What you should do with it is to keep Endurance rather low as Tools don't use it and put points into Arcane even after 50 since it scales well even past that. For melee weapons I would suggest Tonitrus and LHB. Latter needs Arcane/Elemental gem slotted into it for it to be good for Arcane build. Kos Parasite is also good for Arcane builds but you get it very late so I would suggest to go first with what I first recommended. For of hand weapons Flamesprayer and Rosmarinus are best choices. Also get those bullet up runes since you will be spending bunch of them.

Alo0oy

Banned
Worst build in the game because of the work you have to put into it compared to other builds. What you should do with it is to keep Endurance rather low as Tools don't use it and put points into Arcane even after 50 since it scales well even past that. For melee weapons I would suggest Tonitrus and LHB. Latter needs Arcane/Elemental gem slotted into it for it to be good for Arcane build. Kos Parasite is also good for Arcane builds but you get it very late so I would suggest to go first with what I first recommended. For of hand weapons Flamesprayer and Rosmarinus are best choices. Also get those bullet up runes since you will be spending bunch of them.

LHB would waste a lot of stats, a fire saw cleaver would be much better because it can stack serrated damage with the beast's natural weakness to fire, with its speed it can melt beasts faster than LHB can swing.

The heavy investment in STR and SKL is not worth it when you can use those stats for Arcane and use Tiny Tonitrus or the flame spray for bosses, and blacksky eye for normal enemies.

myco666

LHB would waste a lot of stats, a fire saw cleaver would be much better because it can stack serrated damage with the beast's natural weakness to fire, with its speed it can melt beasts faster than LHB can swing.

The heavy investment in STR and SKL is not worth it when you can use those stats for Arcane and use Tiny Tonitrus or the flame spray for bosses, and blacksky eye for normal enemies.

From what I've read LHB would the best weapon for Arcane build but it sure has lot of useless stat investment if going for pure Arcane. I myself used Tonitrus which at least felt really good for Arcane aside from the low durability.

Alo0oy

Banned
From what I've read LHB would the best weapon for Arcane build but it sure has lot of useless stat investment if going for pure Arcane. I myself used Tonitrus which at least felt really good for Arcane aside from the low durability.

It depends, if you want to be primarily a spellcaster, you want as many points into Arcane as possible, as most spells scale better after hitting level 50.

The Ludwig swords, Logarius Wheel, and Tonitrus are best for STR/ARC builds, since they have good scaling with both ARC and STR, LHB is a poor choice because it loses its STR scaling unlike the other three weapons, if you have the stats for it, then MLGS is a much better STR/ARC weapon.

I'm at level 62 and not finished the main game yet (nor do i know how far into the game i am) but for the DLC whats level should i be to start going through it or is it best to complete the main game first?

I'm at level 62 and not finished the main game yet (nor do i know how far into the game i am) but for the DLC whats level should i be to start going through it or is it best to complete the main game first?

65 is the suggested base level for the DLC. You can certainly start doing it if you'd like, there's really no reason not to. What was the last boss you fought?

Edit: You're most of the way through the base game. DLC should be fine for you!

65 is the suggested base level for the DLC. You can certainly start doing it if you'd like, there's really no reason not to. What was the last boss you fought?

Edit: You're most of the way through the base game. DLC should be fine for you!

Soon as i started this area i started getting arrows shot into me and poisoned, im guessing this is a hard area?

how do you avoid the poison arrows?

That's frenzy, stack frenzy resistant armor with frenzy runes, & hide behind the terrain while you move.

Ah ok that explains it then

I'm playing the game blind with no guides or help etc but i feel like i must have missed loads as i've not faced that many bosses or playing DS2 has me expecting bosses around every corner lol

Melchiah

Level 60 made the DLC too hard for me, and I returned to it once I had gone through most of the main game, and reached level 90. The comfort zone varies between players.

Alo0oy

Banned
Ah ok that explains it then

I'm playing the game blind with no guides or help etc but i feel like i must have missed loads as i've not faced that many bosses or playing DS2 has me expecting bosses around every corner lol

Unlike the other Souls games, more than half of Bloodborne is optional, you can beat the game by beating 7 bosses only, skipping the majority of the game in the process.

If you're okay with that, then proceed, or if you want to 100% without a guide, just try exploring old areas to find hidden passages or keys.

The bosses i've faced so far are:

Cleric Beast, Gascoign, Blood Starved Beast, Dark Beast Paarl, the 3 shadow dudes, 2 spider bosses, One Reborn, The Witch and the Vicar

Considering i've just entered the nightmare of mensis, have i missed alot of bosses already? (without spoiling anything)

Dahbomb

Cleric Beast, Gascoign, Blood Starved Beast, Dark Beast Paarl, the 3 shadow dudes, 2 spider bosses, One Reborn, The Witch and the Vicar

Considering i've just entered the nightmare of mensis, have i missed alot of bosses already? (without spoiling anything)
You have missed a few optional bosses in 3 major zones, not including the DLC areas.

Alo0oy

Banned

Yeah, the three areas that most people miss in their first playthrough, try exploring old areas. You also missed at least two smaller areas that don't have bosses in them, one of them can be crucial for another additional boss later on.

Yeah, the three areas that most people miss in their first playthrough, try exploring old areas. You also missed at least two smaller areas that don't have bosses in them, one of them can be crucial for another additional boss later on.

Just remembered the 2
spider bosses on my list was Rom and Amygdala
by the way

Alo0oy

Banned
Just remembered the 2
spider bosses on my list was Rom and Amygdala
by the way

The latter one is in one of the optional areas, so there are two more major areas remaining,& they're in arguably the two best areas in the main game, so I really recommend that you don't miss them.

Timeaisis

So what weapon have you been using then? Playing with the slow weapons does require a bit different strategies but they can be quite fun. Amygdalan Arm is my favorite.

Well I started with the cleaver, did not care for its moveset, so I jumped on the kirk when I could and I dig it, but it doesn't seem to multipurpose.

I also bought the axe and like it a hell of a lot more than the clever. So I'll probably roll with those two for now. But I sure do miss my cane. I could stagger for days.

Make a fire saw, it is soooo op. (Unless the enemy is fire, then it is useless. But they are few and far in-between.) Though you're going to have to go to Loran chalice to get some good fire gems. Completely worth it.

Also, try to get to as many arcane items as soon a possible.

Pump as much as you can to Arcane. Since I generally stop leveling at 35-40, my characters tend to be a bit squishy. But, my Arcane guy is a heavy hitter.

rtcn63

Finally decided to beat the game and move onto NG+. Having done the DLC and spent time in the chalice dungeons, I feel overleveled. Took out the first two bosses with ease, though my vitality does worry me some (30 points). Might have to start pumping it.

And the HMS's L2 is really the only reason I use it. That shit knocks down nearly everything.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Arcane build is interesting and fun but the things that you must do to farm the best gems for it................................ *shudders*

But then again when you see that over 1000 AR for Holy Moonlight Sword.... although well, I suppose it is not really a pure Arcane weapon as you need to invest in Strength as well to reach that high for it.

daedalius

So I beat Rom, and now I am in the unseen city with the bell maidens... fuck this area.

What is the fastest way for me to get blood vials? I really am not a fan of this new way they did health potions in bloodborne as opposed to DS/DS2. After getting rammed into the ground by a boss a few times, the last thing I want to do is go farm pots.

Literally just turned the game off last night when I ran out of pots because I didn't feel like farming.

I like my Arcane character the best. Just to get through the first portion of the game I invested in some skill points, but it's possible to invest solely in arcane and vitality from start to finish. The downside is that you probably won't make the most out of the arcane character till your NG+ where you'll be equipped with all the important spells and tools like a call beyond and now the black eye.

The earliest arcane gem can be found from a brainsucker before Vicar Amelia. There's one by the entrance to the forbidden woods and another one in the foggy alleys below the workshop (this one's more likely to drop some). The best gems for this build are definitely fire ones. You can toss oil urns followed by charged attacks for tons and tons of damage (Ludwig's sword is especially good at it). The fun part about arcane characters is that you can always toss every oil urn and molotov cocktail in your inventory for very good damage.
By the time you're halfway down the chalice dungeons you should have some pretty decent fire and bolt gems in all shapes. You can try having one bolt weapon and another in fire, switching it up every now and then. Also, you'll want to stick to weapons of the "lost" variety.
A fully upgraded pizza cutter will be the most OP weapon for this build when you have the best gems for it. The best gems are a pain to farm but shouldn't be a problem if you settle for whatever negative effect you get. Like most things in this build, though, you won't be finding them till the very end.

Remember your primary weapons for this character should be equipped with pure fire/bolt/arcane gems, nothing that mixes different elements or combines physical with elemental. Also, a weapon doing pure arcane damage is not the most useful, although people in pvp tend to be wearing fire armor and hardly ever arcane resistant sets, so maybe it'd be useful there. The kos parasite also makes the best use of those, but I haven't used them all that much.

My god, I FINALLY beat Ludwig on my own (summoned help my first run). My heart felt like it was going to rip out of my chest after he was down to a sliver of HP and I barely survived a 3-hit combo.

Soooo satisfying.

So I beat Rom, and now I am in the unseen city with the bell maidens... fuck this area.

What is the fastest way for me to get blood vials? I really am not a fan of this new way they did health potions in bloodborne as opposed to DS/DS2. After getting rammed into the ground by a boss a few times, the last thing I want to do is go farm pots.

Literally just turned the game off last night when I ran out of pots because I didn't feel like farming.

Yea I agree. I think they should at least give you 10 or so vials if you run out. I usually farm vials/echoes in the forbidden woods. Start at the lamp and progress to the elevator after the enemy that uses the canon (kill all enemies on the way). Go down the elevator and head towards the boss area, killing the pigs and other enemies on the way. You should get a decent amount of vials and around 30k echoes, which you can use to buy more vials. Run takes about 10 minutes.

laxu

Farm for echoes, buy blood vials is generally the fastest way. Hemwick Charmel Lane or Lecture Building with any Moon runes you have equipped. The executioners in Hemwick often drop 3-4 vials or low level gems too.

myco666

Fastest is to farm Echoes. To make sure you won't be running out of Vials is to buy them often. If you don't have enough echoes to get a level you should spend it all on Vials and you should go back to Dream everytime you see a lamp.

rtcn63

NG+, the HMS and large multi-legged bosses don't necessarily mix. Was having trouble hitting Paarl particularly in his last phase, switched to the pizza cutter and took it down in one go. The tracking, sweep, and stagger are almost as good as Ludwig's (anecdotal). I was just spamming R1 at one point and he kept falling back down.

neoemonk

Just killed Orphan. I had phase 1 down to a science but phase 2 is so chaotic.

If I "finish" the DLC, can I still come back and fight Laurence?

Just killed Orphan. I had phase 1 down to a science but phase 2 is so chaotic.

If I "finish" the DLC, can I still come back and fight Laurence?

I don't see why not. When you finish it, you get a little cutscene but you can still run around the Hunter's Nightmare.

Finally beat Maria with my cane build, she's something else when I'm not using a strength character that can stagger her with sword swings. Has anyone else ever gotten visceraled by her? Really interesting animation, and it doesn't do nearly any damage at all.

Laurence is kicking my ass so bad :( any suggestions?

Skill 40
Bt 50 here...

It really boils down to patience and knowing what animations precede which attacks. The latter is especially difficult because sometimes one animation could mean two different things, and you have very little time to react if you're wrong. Early on in my attempts, I had a lot of trouble with knowing when to pull back while I was attacking. It's important you know when the opening is over and back off. Also, don't lock onto him. Like the Cleric Beast he's based on, locking on will only screw with your attack range making him too far away to hit when your opportunity appears.

Top Bottom