• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodrayne: Betrayal |OT| It Has Nothing To Do With the Original

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
logo.png

Title: Bloodrayne: Betrayal
Platforms: XBLA, PSN
Genre: 2D Sidescrolling Action
Developer: WayForward
Publisher: Majesco
Release Date: 9/6/2011 (PSN) / 9/7/2011 (XBLA)
Price: 1200 points / $15
Official Site

boxartlg.jpg

My Game Description:
Bloodrayne: Betrayal is from WayForward, which is as much of a 2D seal of quality as you could possibly hope for in this day and age. They're the developers of Contra 4, A Boy and His Blob, and Shantae. In other words, they know what they're doing, and have the same level of 2D craftsmanship as Japan had back in its heyday. Terminal Reality, the developer of the other two (terrible) games is uninvolved.

The game is basically old-school, level-based Castlevania with some modern amenities. You've got all your platforming action, replete with wall-jumping and air-dashing, sure. But the combat is the real standout, boasting a slew of combos, juggling antics, and gallons of blood. Playing as the vampiric Rayne, you're also able to chomp into your opponent's jugular and devour their blood to heal yourself. Nifty!

Plus, it's gorgeous. The art style is great, and the high-res 2D sprites look sublime. The music (what little has popped up in gameplay footage, at least) is equally impressive. In every way, it's the 2D Castlevania game that Konami is too arrogant to give us.

2D games are few and far between these days. Good 2D games are even rarer. Good 2D games in HD? Well, they pretty much don't exist. But unless something goes horribly wrong in the final game, that may be exactly what Wayforward is giving us.

Game Description (from the site):

The original video game femme fatale, Rayne, has returned to battle and feed in a brand new hack ‘n slash adventure. Slay ghastly enemies as Rayne, the sexy dhampir with superhuman strength, speed, and agility, recruited by the vampire hunting Brimstone Society for one last mission. The target is a lavish, yet sinister ball in a secluded castle with plenty of dark and gruesome surprises. With the help of a mysterious friend, and members of Brimstone, Rayne must infiltrate the manor, take out the fiendish horde, and stop an evil master plot once and for all.

Features:

Kill evil vampire scum in 15 challenging levels across multiple unique acts, including: The Forest, The Attic and The Freaky Ballroom.

Meet new characters along the way including a mysterious shape shifter.

Feed on enemies and refuel your blood reserves in gruesome new ways including the Blood Fountain.

Solve environmental puzzles including Blood Seal, Grinder Switch and Rising Blood Tower.

Punishing combat skills deliver Rayne’s intense brutal fatalities:

Infection: Enemy vampires bloat and explode when triggered.

Heel Stomp: Instant-kill enemies after laying them out.

Drain: Bite and drain your enemy’s blood to restore your health.

Full arsenal of lethal weapons including Rayne’s signature arm blades and super guns.

Battle a variety of new enemies and deadly bosses including Flying Parasites, Blood Balloons, Elite Guards and more!

AUGH! WHICH VERSION DO I BUY!?

I compared the Playstation 3 and 360 versions, as I'm one of those OCD people who has to have the best version of a game. In this case, the 360 version is better overall. The area where the PS3 version wins out is load times. It's one or two seconds faster than the 360 version. Of course, we're talking 2-3 seconds to load a level on the PS3 versus 4-5 on the 360, so it's really not a major point.

What is major (well, more major, at least) are the graphical differences. First of all, the color is a bit better on the Xbox 360. Blacks are inky and the constant splashes of red really stand out. The PS3 version looks somewhat dull by comparison, though the difference is subtle. What was particularly striking, however, was the difference in clarity. The PS3 version looks quite blurry in places whereas the entire vista is razor sharp on the 360. For one comparison, I looked at Rayne when she's sitting at a fountain after you continue. Stare at her cleavage. Go on - you know you want to. You'll notice that the PS3 version lacks definition while the 360 exhibits no such issue. Some art assets seem more afflicted than others, but as a whole, the game simply looks worse. No matter how you slice it, the 360 version is the way to go.

S-Rank Gameplay Videos:

Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3
Stage 4
Stage 5
Stage 6

Videos:

Official Trailers: http://www.bloodraynebetrayal.com/media.htm

Giantbomb Quicklook: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-bloodrayne-betrayal/17-4814/
(Ryan Davis doesn't seem to understand how to play a 2D game, but it's a decent indicator of what to expect.)

Screenshots:

screenlg1.jpg

screenlg2.jpg

screenlg4.jpg

screenlg6.jpg

screenlg10.jpg

screenlg7.jpg

Reviews:

IGN: 9.0/10
1UP: B+
Gamefan: 9/10
Game Informer: 7/10
Official Xbox Magazine: 6.5/10
Official US Playstation Magazine: 6/10
Gamespot: 5.5/10
GamesRadar: 5/10
Destructoid: 2/10

So yeah, the reviews are all over the place. If you like hardcore 2D games like this year's Hard Corps: Uprising, chances are you'll dig it. If not, Bloodrayne will likely leave you downright cold.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Not really a fan of this type of game but it looks/animates beautifully in the GB quicklook. Might give a chance during a sale 6ish months from now.

Cels

GameInformer and Official PS magazine gave this game bad reviews apparently (7/10, 6/10 respectively)

wrowa

I love how Majeso sticks to the franchise even though it's completely garbage.

(This game, however, looks like the first good game in the series. WayForward ftw)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I didn't even knew WayForward was behind this when I pre-ordered it via PSN Play.

Now I'm happy.

bathala

Banned
saw the QL. i thought its going to have a metroidvania like stage lay-out.

I hate that zooming and zooming out during the arena battle.

Already got it pre-ordered as part of that PSN Play campaign. I hope this does relatively well for Wayforward, you can always count on those guys for fantastic 2D games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow, this sounds really awesome. I'll probably downloadthis at some point. I need more HD 2D in my life.

Darklord

Banned
The music ruined this game. I can barely stand it in the quick look. Symphonic metal crap is so bad. Nightwish...bleh.

Grisby

JDAWGZZZ said:
A good Bloodrayne game? What the fuck is going on?

Both original games were good, not great, but above average.

Anyways, I haven't decided on this yet. Prolly stalk the thread for impressions and such first. Glad Rayne's back in some form though!

JDAWGZZZ said:
A good Bloodrayne game? What the fuck is going on?
Yeah I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

The first game was great at least by my definition since I can still remember the cheat codes for it.

Danny Dudekisser

Lostconfused said:
Yeah I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

The first game was great at least by my definition since I can still remember the cheat codes for it.

Your definition of a good game is one you can remember cheat codes for?

Danny Dudekisser

legbone said:
yep. reviewer complained about how hard the game is.

Awesome. Hard Corps: Uprising had some serious bitching about difficulty, too, but it was the challenge that made the game so satisfying. Das 2D.

Pre-ordered this game the moment it went up on PSN. Can't wait!

Feels like Castlevania, plays like a fusion of great platformers. -Dave Halverson

GAMEFAN Review: 9.0

Persona7

Banned
Going to get this the second it is available.

I liked the original Bloodraynes and was excited about this the second it was announced.

eXistor

Darklord said:
The music ruined this game. I can barely stand it in the quick look. Symphonic metal crap is so bad. Nightwish...bleh.
Do XBLA games support custom music? If so just put some oldskool 'Vania tunes on there: problem solved!

Persona7

Banned
eXistor said:
Do XBLA games support custom music? If so just put some oldskool 'Vania tunes on there: problem solved!
This.

You can play music on top of any game by hitting the guide button in a middle of a game and selecting the music you have on your network or a USB drive/any drive plugged into the USB.

Yeah. Is it linear or metroidvania?

Also, i may consider the psn version, cant stand the 360 d pad for 2 d games, although most of my gaming is done on the 360.

I kind of wish capcom contracted wayforward to do a vergil based 2d romp like thiso instead of using the bloodrayne ip whichhonestly may hurt the game more than it helps it.

Persona7

Banned
lowhighkang_LHK said:
Yeah. Is it linear or metroidvania?

Also, i may consider the psn version, cant stand the 360 d pad for 2 d games, although most of my gaming is done on the 360.
I am going to just buy it on both so I can support the game through the PSN PLAY thing and having it attached to my xbox live account where I have most of my digital library.

Seems ridiculous but I don't care.

Ledsen

Darklord said:

What the christ dude, it sounds exactly like old-school Castlevania music. It just has more modern instrumentation.

mollipen

Chacranajxy said:
If it's a complaint about a high difficulty level, that's great news.

Unfortunately, it isn't always good difficulty. At times, it just get strangely ridiculous in what it asks you to do, and the controls are a little quirky, making those moments obnoxiously painful.

It's like, I loved Demon's Souls for how difficult it was, because if you died it was always your fault. Because of that, it was fun to keep trying until you can beat that section. Some parts of Betrayal absolutely aren't fun.

Danny Dudekisser

shidoshi said:
Unfortunately, it isn't always good difficulty. At times, it just get strangely ridiculous in what it asks you to do, and the controls are a little quirky, making those moments obnoxiously painful.

It's like, I loved Demon's Souls for how difficult it was, because if you died it was always your fault. Because of that, it was fun to keep trying until you can beat that section. Some parts of Betrayal absolutely aren't fun.

Interesting. Well, I guess I'll find out how I feel about it soon enough. Hard Corps: Uprising had some... well, several moments that could be considered cheap, but I still loved the hell out of the whole thing. Personally, I find cheap shit much more palatable in 2D games than in 3D, so I'm probably not the best judge of "proper" difficulty.

snorggy

This title seems to have disappeared off PSN... only thing i can find is a game video... no pre-order available and it doesn't appear in the PLAY promotion anymore... temporary glitch on the PSN store or did something happen?

Top Bottom