• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodrayne: Betrayal |OT| It Has Nothing To Do With the Original

SmithnCo

snorggy said:
This title seems to have disappeared off PSN... only thing i can find is a game video... no pre-order available and it doesn't appear in the PLAY promotion anymore... temporary glitch on the PSN store or did something happen?

I THINK the preorder opportunity ended on the first, from what I can find. I was too late to preorder but I'll probably get this day one.

Coxy

Music sounds great, people are crazy. Really loving that animation, hopefully combat's more fluid when somone good is playing

Giolon

EGM's Shidoshi's review is out in this week's EGMi (on iPad-only at the moment). It was given a 7.5/10.

I need this game so bad after watching the GiantBomb QuickLook.

Edit: There, happy now?

mollipen

Giolon said:
shidoshi's review is out in this week's EGMi (on iPad-only at the moment). It was given a 7.5/10.

I need this game so bad after watching the GiantBomb QuickLook.

Fixed, just so I can feel a little less obscure. :(

colinp

Banned
shidoshi said:

I just played the demo real quick and quite enjoyed it (though it was difficult). Curious what your qualms were...?

Ifrit

Just a wondering, does this game:

a) Relies heavily on the use of the dpad (quick reactions and/or lots combinacion of directions, fireball motions, etc)?
b) Don't (only to go left or right, maybe ducking)?

If a) I'm getting the PSN ver., if b) XBLA ver. since the 360 dpad is pure evil

Any help?

ArjanN

This looks good.

I wish Wayforward would put their stuff out on Steam as well.

I have to disagree with with the OP about the original games being terrible though. They were actually pretty decent 3rd person action games, especially the 2nd game.

Sectus

Ifrit said:
Just a wondering, does this game:

a) Relies heavily on the use of the dpad (quick reactions and/or lots combinacion of directions, fireball motions, etc)?
b) Don't (only to go left or right, maybe ducking)?

If a) I'm getting the PSN ver., if b) XBLA ver. since the 360 dpad is pure evil

Any help?
From what I've played, it definitely seems like you'd want quick precise movement. Oddly enough, I found myself using the analog stick more since it's easier to do the high jump with it.

Giolon

shidoshi said:
Something something *how am I supposed to know who you are?* something something. I enjoyed reading your review. It's the first one I've seen to bring up the latter difficulty as an isue.

Radogol

Chacranajxy said:
boxartlg.jpg

Bleuurgh!

No doubt the game itself is tits, though.

angelfly

Waiting for the demo. I was disappointed when this turned out to be what it is but it does look rather interesting is ignore that it's Bloodrayne.
JJD said:
Good reviews! I'm glad I've pre ordered!
huh?

Grisby

angelfly said:
Waiting for the demo. I was disappointed when this turned out to be what it is but it does look rather interesting is ignore that it's Bloodrayne.

huh?

You could preorder the game through PSN's Play promotion.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
First off OP, the first two game were not horribly at all. Bloodrayne 1 was a competent 3rd person quasi PC style shooter with a bit of a twist in terms of setting and theme. While not a AAA game, it was fun and enjoyable.
The second is one of my favorite melee combat games for the PS2, I liked it better than either GOW or the last two DMC games. I think its pretty underrated.

I know in terms of the GI score this game got a 7 because it was too hard, don't know about the OPM review.

Grisby

angelfly said:
Ah didn't know they started doing that. Weird that we're preordering downloadable games now.

Yeah, for consoles it is a bit weird. I think Sony's the first to do it too on such a larger scale (PSN Play).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Played the demo, liked it. Combat was pretty shallow, but the music and graphics were great. Very iga-Castlevania type music. Why was I randomly being killed by green gas (I haven't played a BR game before and I skipped the intro, which probably explained it)? If it was $10, I'd buy it. $15, I'll wait for a sale.

Playing it now. Music is very neoclassical/yngwie malmsteenish... very purty game, slight anime style twist to some of the graphics. So far not as hard as some castlevanias but still fun with some wow double rrainbows factor. I preordered so I got the high class hooker experience for the crack ho price.

Loving it so far.

Amagon

I like the demo! Looks great and the music is up to par as well. The end boss of the demo (that you couldn't fight) was such a rip from Castlevania but I dont give a fuck. Really debating preordering this game right now but I have too many other games to go through!!! But, yeah....I'd highly recommend it. I wonder what is Iga gonna say when he plays this game???

Adam J.

Loved the demo--kind of reminds me of Shank, but with smoother controls. The graphics/animation is sooo good, and the power-metal soundtrack is catchy. I'll pick this up next week...

Skilletor

This game is beautiful. It seems a bit shallow, which isn't surprising. This is the way of Wayforward games. We'll see how far I get in this before shallow isn't fun any longer.

But yeah. Super pretty.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
played through the first chapter just kind of experimenting with the moveset.

I like the amount of options they start you off with. I like action games giving you the full toolset from the start instead of locking moves behind tutorials and shops.

Anyone know how to detonate infected enemies?

Laughed at being able to bite loop enemies for a bit. Made me think of Slayer lol

This game is beautiful. It seems a bit shallow, which isn't surprising. This is the way of Wayforward games. We'll see how far I get in this before shallow isn't fun any longer.

What does shallow even mean? Why are people throwing that word around?

The game starts you off with alot of options. It's not the game's fault you choose to mash square. Experiment.

Apdiddy

Played the demo -- and I'm very much interested in getting this. I just hope there's not a Steam/PC release next month or something.

Memo to Konami: Judging by the look, this is what Castlevania should look like on 3DS or Vita.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Joystiq also posted a review: 4.5 out of 5.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/06/bloodrayne-betrayal-review/

I often times disagree with Joystiq, but that was a nice review, that seems to value the game properly.

I have no interest in Bloodrayne as a character, or the series, but this specific game looks like the 2D HD Castlevania that Konami for some reason cannot make, lol. Looking forward to getting to try out the demo myself on Live tomorrow!

Psi

Just played the demo, it seemed pretty cool. I really liked the art style and the music fit well. I was surprised at how much blood comes out of an enemy if you decapitate them with a dash attack, felt like a third of the screen. Might pick it up later in the month along with RE4 HD.

alr1ghtstart said:
Why was I randomly being killed by green gas (I haven't played a BR game before and I skipped the intro, which probably explained it)?

You were probably standing in a UV light.

Retro_ said:
Anyone know how to detonate infected enemies?

Triangle. It's pretty fun doing a quick Square Circle Triangle and turning an enemy into a bomb.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Bloodrayne is very reminiscent of a non Iga 'vania, the whole feel you can tell that Wayforward really just took the Rayne character and put her an a Castlevania game. Got to level 3 with the spikey floors and traps, its oldschool vania.

JoeFenix

This game is anything but shallow, the scoring system is extremely well thought out and every move has its uses.

Currently ranked 1st on the first stage, getting the S rank was fairly tricky. This game is the real deal folks!

xXJonoXx

I'm probably the only one who bought this game because it was a Bloodrayne game and not because of the look or the genre of game it is, lol.

legbone

this game is handdrawn gaming at it's finest. this thing is fucking beautiful. but it's beauty hides a cruel mistress. this thing is fucking hard. i admit i am an old fart but this reminds me of the good old days. in both bad ways and good. i wish it was just a little more responsive but i will adjust. the soundtrack is glorious. i just sat at the title screen and admired the music and the animation. i can see this will be one of those games that seems deceptively simple yet once you really learn the ins and outs of the system you can pull off some amazing shit. i cannot wait to see some youtube videos of people once they get really good. i will never pull it off but i bet someone will eventually pull off a 1 life run. it seems old school in the sense that memorization and applied skill will pay off in spades. i had immense amounts of fun with it so far and i just completed the first level. damn there are so many games to play right now. fall has truly begun. oh well, this worm chow is off to get better hopefully.

wayforward are masters of 2d in my opinion. i cannot wait to get my hands on aliens infested.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Psi said:
Triangle. It's pretty fun doing a quick Square Circle Triangle and turning an enemy into a bomb.

Yeah I'm a little embarrassed I never pressed that button :x

wayforward are masters of 2d in my opinion. i cannot wait to get my hands on aliens infested.

Thor was pretty shitty so I was a bit worried about this

but so far it's ace. I'm enjoying it alot

shallow? fuck that noise! This isn't borderlands or assassins creed. it's an action game first and foremost. methodical isn't shallow.

I LOVE this game. this could be my favorite DLC game to go with Hard Corps: Uprising.

played the first level until getting an S rank at a bit over 100K. like joefenix says, this is absolutely the real deal. finally, a game for the hardcore after swimming through piles of shit for so long.

i am more then ready for a future onslaught of stuff like this

Skilletor

Retro_ said:
The game starts you off with alot of options. It's not the game's fault you choose to mash square. Experiment.

I am. Doesn't feel like there's lots of options to me. Feels like it's not rewarding to experiment so far. Seem like a bunch of meat bags with no challenge.

I haven't beaten the first level yet, but it reminds me a lot of Thor on DS.

Edit: Up to level 4. Still feel the same.

Gaspode_T

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Playing it now. Music is very neoclassical/yngwie malmsteenish... very purty game, slight anime style twist to some of the graphics. So far not as hard as some castlevanias but still fun with some wow double rrainbows factor. I preordered so I got the high class hooker experience for the crack ho price.

Loving it so far.

Wow, I am so getting this game! Their 2D hand-drawn art is almost enough to seal the deal

mrfolego

Banned
I don't understand the thread title, I liked the first game when it came out
It is good that the franchise can shake off the poor movies and get a game like this

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Pretty fun game. Only complaint is how long certain animations take to finish, preventing you from jumping or doing other things. It makes it feel slightly unresponsive in certain cases.

I also think they made the wall jumping completely wrong. Every game I can think of that lets you jump off walls has you press away from the wall when you hit jump or just before you hit jump. They've completely reversed that mechanic in this game for no good reason, making it counterintuitive IMO.

Top Bottom