• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodrayne: Betrayal |OT| It Has Nothing To Do With the Original

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Tried the demo and honestly I'm not quite sure how much of my attacking had any effect or helped trying to switch it up vs just looking brilliant. Might have enjoyed it just a bit more if she felt a bit heavier as a character.

Edgeward

Took me a while to figure out about the spotlights and why I was taking damage. lol

I don't like how high jump is tied you switching directions either. It's quite pretty in motion I must say.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, I dunno. I sorta like it, but I'm not sure it's worth $12. It's quite pretty, but it seems just a little shallow.

Think I'll wait for the Renegade Ops demo to drop and see which of the two I like more.

(Yeah, it's probably gonna be Renegade Ops. <3 Avalanche Software)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Based on PS3 demo:

Quite boring, repetitive encounters. Flashy but unsophisticated combat. Unresponsive controls (due to animations mostly). Graphics can get messy at times.

JoeFenix

SMH at these impressions, you people find the game shallow because you play it on a surface level.

Try to go for a higher rank and explore the game systems instead of mashing square and barely scraping by with a F rank.

Giolon

JoeFenix said:
SMH at these impressions, you people find the game shallow because you play it on a surface level.

Try to go for a higher rank and explore the game systems instead of mashing square and barely scraping by with a F rank.

I saw you on top of the PS3 leaderboards. You have like quadruple my score...and I have no idea how T.T

I can't figure out for the life of me how to not take damage. You get stuck in combo animations - and then some asshole shoots you from across the screen. Or you try to poison a guy but his 20 friends whack you. Then you get hit as you're getting up from being knocked down. It's a mess. And don't even get me started on that shadow section of the first level...can't see shit.

Can't say I'm a little disapointed in the game. Looks gorgeous. Plays so-so.

Maybe I'll warm up to it more. :-/ For the record, I got C ranks :p

Sectus

Giolon said:
I saw you on top of the PS3 leaderboards. You have like quadruple my score...and I have no idea how T.T

I can't figure out for the life of me how to not take damage. You get stuck in combo animations - and then some asshole shoots you from across the screen. Or you try to poison a guy but his 20 friends whack you. Then you get hit as you're getting up from being knocked down. It's a mess. And don't even get me started on that shadow section of the first level...can't see shit.

Can't say I'm a little disapointed in the game. Looks gorgeous. Plays so-so.

Maybe I'll warm up to it more. :-/ For the record, I got C ranks :p
I've been trying to learn the mechanics for the game. I think you might as well assume that if you have multiple enemies around and your attacks aren't hitting them all, one full combo (4 attacks that is) will lead to you being hit.

I feel like the game is all about crowd control and keeping enemies stunned. The standard combo is great for kicking one enemy into other enemies so they get stunned and positioned to the same place. That's basically the primary reason I ever use that combo. You've got one simple air combo (one attack, then hold down and attack), and you'll do a heavy drop onto the ground and stun enemies around you for a long time.

Another important thing to remember is to use the gun as a normal weapon. At first I treated it like a "super bomb" weapon like in shoot'em'ups, but I noticed you get ammo for it really often. And it's insanely handy for stunning groups of enemies. I use it all the time now.

I do think the scoring is a bit unfair. If you die several times in a level, then you'll never get higher than F. The biggest gap seems to between F and C. Once you reach that rank, it's easier to get up to A or S. Although S is insanely hard to reach. You'll need to get most of the time bonus and get hit only a few times throughout a level. I've only been able to get S on the first mission so far.

Daigoro

never played a BloodRayne game before, so this was pretty far off my radar. just watched the release trailer though and it looks pretty damn cool.

not sure ill drop 1200 pts on it today, but i will check out the demo. if i like it enough ill buy it asap, otherwise wait for a sale.

Giolon

Sectus said:
I've been trying to learn the mechanics for the game. I think you might as well assume that if you have multiple enemies around and your attacks aren't hitting them all, one full combo (4 attacks that is) will lead to you being hit.

I feel like the game is all about crowd control and keeping enemies stunned. The standard combo is great for kicking one enemy into other enemies so they get stunned and positioned to the same place. That's basically the primary reason I ever use that combo. You've got one simple air combo (one attack, then hold down and attack), and you'll do a heavy drop onto the ground and stun enemies around you for a long time.

Another important thing to remember is to use the gun as a normal weapon. At first I treated it like a "super bomb" weapon like in shoot'em'ups, but I noticed you get ammo for it really often. And it's insanely handy for stunning groups of enemies. I use it all the time now.

I do think the scoring is a bit unfair. If you die several times in a level, then you'll never get higher than F. The biggest gap seems to between F and C. Once you reach that rank, it's easier to get up to A or S. Although S is insanely hard to reach. You'll need to get most of the time bonus and get hit only a few times throughout a level. I've only been able to get S on the first mission so far.
Thanks for the tips. I hate games like this. Why even bother giving a "long" combo that all it will lead to is you getting stuck in the animations and mobbed if there's more than one enemy around? That's not fun. Neither is getting hit repeatedly while you're trying to get up.

Best thing in the game: Press Square just before the coffing rocket hits the ground (it's on the tips screen). BTW, the tips screen is useless.

Edit: ROFLMAO the game just froze on me in Chapter 6. I guess it knew I was talking shit.

German here, all new arcade games are up, but no bloodrayne, WTF? Even the trailer is removed now. 2 hrs ago when I checked the status for this game, the trailer was there then.

Giolon said:
Probably b/c it's filled with blood spraying everywhere?

So is Dishwasher. I mean it's possible, yeah. But it's comicly violence and stuff, same reason doom and doom 2 are not banned anymore here. Ugh what a let down.

Rising_Hei

Just tried the demo, i don't know if something's wrong with me...i didn't like the controls at all, they don't feel responsitive.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
When I first saw the character Bloodrayne I thought "my god, this is the next Lara Croft" and saw a potential of creating a best selling franchise with huge potential to expand. But so far, this is the only game that really capitalizes on that oppertunity.

kinoki said:
When I first saw the character Bloodrayne I thought "my god, this is the next Lara Croft" and saw a potential of creating a best selling franchise with huge potential to expand. But so far, this is the only game that really capitalizes on that oppertunity.

lol

I recall the hilarious PR and general nonsense around the design of the character in the first game. It was a massive turn off. Fortunately (if you played beyond the first level) the first game was good fun. The sequel less so, but still fun.

This is pretty much Batman: The Brave & The Bold for PS3/360. With some of the same flaws, but some improvements. Auto follow after the launcher attack is convenient, but clunky gun play and no crouching attacks is a bit lame.

Correct me if I'm wrong on crouching attacks.

Skilletor

JoeFenix said:

Or it's shallow because it's shallow. Give me a reason to use all of these "options" instead of making every enemy the same with a different skin. So far every situation is the same. There's no enemy variety, very little platforming. The only challenge comes from the game throwing tons of enemies at you all at once.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Correct me if I'm wrong on crouching attacks.

She has a crouching attack but she can't without doing a move.

Skilletor

Okay, so basically no crouching attack by just pressing down and attack?

I'm sorry, that was poorly worded. She can do a crouching attack, but she can't crouch all by her lonesome.

Down + Attack is low attack, but just pressing down does nothing.

She can charge her attack and it puts her in a crouching position, though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I was really looking forward to this, but it looks like impressions are mixed. I'll try out the demo before buying. It seems odd that you wouldn't be able to cancel attack animations. A game like this seems ripe for that type of gameplay.

Thrakier said:
Not right, there is one.

Ah, okay the problem is she just doesn't crouch if she's not attacking.

Just fired up the demo again.

I miss crouching as found in Batman: B&tB. Plus that game in general just had better mobility options. Bloodrayne and Thor are nice, but B&tB is the better Wayforward beat'em up.

If Bloodrayne had co-op play I'd pick it up. Kind of sucks it doesn't as co-op beat'em ups are always fantastic fun, and they make such a big deal out of this other character. Maybe if they make a sequel they'll rectify this egregious omission.

As is, it's nice to see Wayfoward developing something not for a Nintendo system only and hopefully they continue to do so.

giggas

Played the demo of this last night and really liked it a lot. I was pretty upset when the demo ended to be honest. The music was awesome, I'll have to be on the look out for the soundtrack.

Wish I didn't use the funds I had on Back to the Future and Scott Pilgrim when they were on sale, because I totally would have bought and would have preferred to buy this, as I ended up hating Pilgrim and could barely make it through one episode of that dreadful BttF game, let alone all 5 episodes.

Skilletor

Ah, okay the problem is she just doesn't crouch if she's not attacking.

Just fired up the demo again.

I miss crouching as found in Batman: B&tB. Plus that game in general just had better mobility options. Bloodrayne and Thor are nice, but B&tB is the better Wayforward beat'em up.

If Bloodrayne had co-op play I'd pick it up. Kind of sucks it doesn't as co-op beat'em ups are always fantastic fun, and they make such a big deal out of this other character. Maybe if they make a sequel they'll rectify this egregious omission.

As is, it's nice to see Wayfoward developing something not for a Nintendo system only and hopefully they continue to do so.

Hey, I love Batman. I think it's Wayforward's 2nd best game after Shantae.

This reminds me of Thor.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Played the first six chapters and I totally love it. Even though I'm terrrrrrrrrrible at it.

Skilletor

I didn't know I liked you until today, now if only you can accept 3rd Strike Jesus into your heart. :3

Yep.

Solid, just not spectacular.

3s is okay. I'm more of an ST and Alpha 2 kind of guy, though. :p

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's alot better than Thor

Since you aren't just knocking every enemy on the screen into a corner making them all overlap

Then performing the same canned juggle to kill them all like they were one enemy.

Crowd control is actually fun in this game

Never played the batman games but I don't think crouching would add much at all to this game.

Just jump and air dash. What the hell do you need a crouch for?

Skilletor

Retro_ said:
Never played the batman games but I don't think crouching would add much at all to this game.

Just jump and air dash. What the hell do you need a crouch for?

Because options are awesome. I'd like to duck under bullets when an enemy is across the screen shooting at me. Why shouldn't she be able to crouch? She's got an animation for it. It would take nothing away from the game.

Skilletor said:
Because options are awesome. And I'd like to duck under bullets when an enemy is across the screen shooting at me.

Precisely.

If you can't grok it, then ya ought not comment on it.

Also at a few cents over $15, there's no reason any person with a Wii should not own Brave & The Bold.

Persona7 said:
I dodge bullets by using the dash button

They should have taken a lesson from Hard Corps Uprising and allowed players who aren't incapable of double tap motions to two tap. :\

Skilletor

Persona7 said:
I dodge bullets by using the dash button

So do I. But it's funny that some are talking about how there are so many options in this game, but when one comes up that is quite obvious to have, people just say YOU DON'T NEED IT!

I don't need lots of things in this game. That's my problem with it.

Skilletor said:
So do I. But it's funny that some are talking about how there are so many options in this game, but when one comes up that is quite obvious to have, people just say YOU DON'T NEED IT!

Unfortunately that's typical of any game that's receiving overwhelmingly glowing reviews. The veneer of new shiny is still blinding those who cannot view the game objectively. Plus you got to factor in the PS3/360 unfamiliarity with Wayforward's beat'em ups on other platforms.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Skilletor said:

Because options are awesome. I'd like to duck under bullets when an enemy is across the screen shooting at me. Why shouldn't she be able to crouch? She's got an animation for it. It would take nothing away from the game.

I don't need lots of things in this game. That's my problem with it

I don't get it.

Are you playing both sides of the argument just to be difficult?

Unfortunately that's typical of any game that's receiving overwhelmingly glowing reviews. The veneer of new shiny is still blinding those who cannot view the game objectively. Plus you got to factor in the PS3/360 unfamiliarity with Wayforward's beat'em ups on other platforms.

Nice copout

confirmation bias sure is something

They should have taken a lesson from Hard Corps Uprising and allowed players who aren't incapable of double tap motions to two tap. :\

You dash with L2.

Sectus said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzSRKofetLc - Uploaded a video with S rank on mission 1.

This is pretty cool

I'm gonna give running the first stage a shot for score

Retro_ said:
Nice copout

confirmation bias sure is something

Not a copout at all.

I've been on this side of the fence with gaf in the past; see also: Raimi and Spider-Man 1, Street Fighter 4, etc.

You dash with L2.

Right, and you can assign dash to a button in HCU as well as just double tap to accomplish it. I see no real point to introduce extra buttons for an input that can just as easily be executed. Unless a later game play mechanic prevents you from making use of double tap inputs.

Top Bottom