• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Bebpo

Banned
The game seems to be good on sidequests as well. I did a nice little 2 hour optional sidequest that had a bunch of full cutscenes w/voice and everything. I also did a minor sidequest that was just text, but fun.

Aaron

Blimblim said:
My main problem would be that I have no way to get my thoughts written like I want, be it in french or english. I just have zero literary talent, and it's the main reason why my sites are media sites and have almost no editorial content ;)
Play less games and read more books then. :)

Fantastic BD videos, Blim. Couldn't stop myself from watching them back to back, though it's going to be a long while before I have the chance to play it.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Bebpo said:
picssss225003.jpg

picssss225006.jpg

MUSIC.HERE.IS.SO.FREAKING.AWESOME

picssss225004.jpg

Picture is kinda screwed up but I like the enemy design here :)

OH MY GOD, I MUST PLAY THIS GAME NOW DAMMIT!!!

This is driving me crazy. With every picture you post, it's as though someone is ripping a part of my leg off.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Blimblim said:
My main problem would be that I have no way to get my thoughts written like I want, be it in french or english. I just have zero literary talent, and it's the main reason why my sites are media sites and have almost no editorial content ;)

Well, you certainly fooled me :) I thought you were from the United States your English was so good.

Anyways, do what you do best, keep up with those videos! :)

BlimBlim, i don't know if you've already arrived to the town of Gibral, but once you get there, you will get impressed, it's so damn beautiful!! specially when you reach the rooftop of the castle.. very very impressive

Blimblim

The Inside Track
intheinbetween said:
BlimBlim, i don't know if you've already arrived to the town of Gibral, but once you get there, you will get impressed, it's so damn beautiful!! specially when you reach the rooftop of the castle.. very very impressive
I just
cured maru-maro's village
so I have a long way to go until I reach the town.

Bebpo

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Suikoden and Blue Dragon, leading the charge on 4+ party battles.

5 person battles are actually waaaay too many.

I usually can kill every enemy in a battle 1st round with 3 characters attacking, so the other 2 are either "defend" just to speed things up or I have them charge up an attack just in-case something goes wrong. Basically battles go on a lot longer than I'd like them to be (even though they end in 1 full turn) because there are so many party members, so many enemies, and the animations for attacks + all the slowdown in battle = battles take 2 mins when they should take 30 secs if there was a fast-foward animation button like [EM] or if there were less members.

Even on boss battles my 5th character is just a backup to do some extra damage or heal. I don't really bother messing around with her because you can pretty much do any fight with 3-4 characters. 5 is just overkill for the sake of saying "look! We have more party members than other games!".

watership

Blimblim said:

Dude, that made me laugh out loud. You give insight that is concise and engaging which automatically makes you write better than many people who CLAIM to be literary talents.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Basically battles go on a lot longer than I'd like them to be (even though they end in 1 full turn) because there are so many party members, so many enemies, and the animations for attacks + all the slowdown in battle = battles take 2 mins when they should take 30 secs if there was a fast-foward animation button like [EM] or if there were less members.

+ all the slowdown in the battle? seriously, i need you to clarify - you are saying the slowdown you see is so bad that it noticably adds to the length a battle takes...?

because all i can say is "***BAFFLE***"

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
watership said:
Dude, that made me laugh out loud. You give insight that is concise and engaging which automatically makes you write better than many people who CLAIM to be literary talents.

Seriously. I agree.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
TekunoRobby said:
Really simple question and apologies as I haven't kept up with this thread:

I've seen someone previously mention that this game is very similar to a classic JRPG, like an older Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. Could anyone elaborate on that please? A basic explanation would do fine, many thanks in advance.
Any takers? :(

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
DCharlie said:
+ all the slowdown in the battle? seriously, i need you to clarify - you are saying the slowdown you see is so bad that it noticably adds to the length a battle takes...?

You still don't experience any slowdown C?

Bebpo

Banned
DCharlie said:

When you have a 5 person party and 3-6 enemies and you're calling out your dragon to charge for an attack later on, the amount of time it takes to summon out the dragon and move to the next person's turn on the queue gets longer as more and more dragons get on-screen. I use all charge attacks so I have all 5 dragons out at the same time every battle and yes, it runs in basically SKY GUNNER slow-motion by the time the fifth is pulling the dragon out.

I'll actually play nice for you and do a video capture in 480p (assuming the framerate is identical) this week just so I can point to all the slowdown and you can say "yes, that is a lot of slowdown".

And to answer your question. Yes I think if there was zero slowdown each battle would be about 50% shorter than they currently are.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Bebpo said:
When you have a 5 person party and 3-6 enemies and you're calling out your dragon to charge for an attack later on, the amount of time it takes to summon out the dragon and move to the next person's turn on the queue gets longer as more and more dragons get on-screen. I use all charge attacks so I have all 5 dragons out at the same time every battle and yes, it runs in basically SKY GUNNER slow-motion by the time the fifth is pulling the dragon out.

I'll actually play nice for you and do a video capture in 480p (assuming the framerate is identical) this week just so I can point to all the slowdown and you can say "yes, that is a lot of slowdown".

You're scaring me....slowdown....I hate it....

DCharlie

awesome - then i can point at your X360 and say "that is broken! take it back to Wallmart!" ;)

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
DCharlie said:
awesome - then i can point at your X360 and say "that is broken! take it back to Wallmart!" ;)

I'll rephrase my question: So you notice no slowdown in Blue Dragon (I don't have the game, and won't until the US version is available, so I'm just asking)

DCharlie

You still don't experience any slowdown C?

there are points where frames get dropped once a blue moon, but with 3 charging shadows out, vs 6+ enemies i see next to nothing - we are literally talking the odd dropped frame (whether that counts as slowdown or not - i'd say not)

Certainly nothing that i would point at and say "this is making my battles too long"

perhaps it all breaks down with the 5th person ? but as bebpo has been complaining about slowdown since the start, i'm simply guessing that there is something fundamentally different between our X360s...

ie: mine is working, his is broken! ;) (and IGN's!)

As stated before - i've talkde with other people who have different experiences per game (oblivion - each person had different levels of issues for instance)

Bebpo - you might want to reboot and clear your cache - that might have something to do with it for instance.

You do not get slowdown/tearing with Kluke's winning pose for example?
i do - but it's incredibly minor. It definitely sounds like Bebpo's problems are worse - or , of course, the alternative is that i obviously can't tell when things are dropping frames/slowing down/ etc . ;)

50% extra ? okay - i can absolutely categorically say that our experiences of this game are vastly different. And it can only be down to a difference in the X360.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
DCharlie said:
there are points where frames get dropped once a blue moon, but with 3 charging shadows out, vs 6+ enemies i see next to nothing - we are literally talking the odd dropped frame (whether that counts as slowdown or not - i'd say not)

Certainly nothing that i would point at and say "this is making my battles too long"

perhaps it all breaks down with the 5th person ? but as bebpo has been complaining about slowdown since the start, i'm simply guessing that there is something fundamentally different between our X360s...

ie: mine is working, his is broken! ;) (and IGN's!)

As stated before - i've talkde with other people who have different experiences per game (oblivion - each person had different levels of issues for instance)

Bebpo - you might want to reboot and clear your cache - that might have something to do with it for instance.

What resolution are you running in? 720p, right?

Bebpo

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
What resolution are you running in? 720p, right?

On my side I switched to 720p and noticed a slight improvement in framerate, but barely noticable. In 1080i when Kluuke did attacks with a lot on-screen it'd sometimes get so choppy I thought my X360 was going to crash, since I've changed to 720p it's never been that bad. I'll be curious to see if the game runs smoother on 480p.

i didn't notice that slowdown that Bebpo claims, and as DCharlie said there're some points where you can notice the framerate dropping, but not a major issue.

i forgot to tell you that finally after 10 hours playing Blue Dragon, it crashed.. it happened just before the air dogfight, when it gives you the options doing the tutorial or skip it. so i rebooted my 360 and everything was working again, no more crashes

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Bebpo said:
On my side I switched to 720p and noticed a slight improvement in framerate, but barely noticable. In 1080i when Kluuke did attacks with a lot on-screen it'd sometimes get so choppy I thought my X360 was going to crash, since I've changed to 720p it's never been that bad. I'll be curious to see if the game runs smoother on 480p.

Does your CRT tv upscale 720p to 1080i?

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
You're playing in 1080i over 720p? Does that look better on your TV because of native res?

It does. But I'm playing in 720p now because it's a bit better framerate-wise and I didn't want my system to die.

dirtmonkey37 said:
Does your CRT tv upscale 720p to 1080i?

Yeah. Looks about the same but in still things like menus 1080i output from the X360 is sharper.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Bebpo said:
It does. But I'm playing in 720p now because it's a bit better framerate-wise and I didn't want my system to die.

Yeah. Looks about the same but in still things like menus 1080i output from the X360 is sharper.

So, as of now, you're upscaling, right? Upscaling to 1080i, right?

DCharlie

50% shorter than they currently are

hold on - futher to my ZOMGWHAT?!...

you are saying that the battles would be HALF the length?
so ... the slowdown is making them TWICE as long??

as i said previously - this is NOT my experience - and that sounds way beyond the realms of reasonable.

re: resolution - 720p.

Bebpo

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
So, as of now, you're upscaling, right? Upscaling to 1080i, right?

Yeah, the TV is upscaling.

DCharlie said:
hold on - futher to my ZOMGWHAT?!...

you are saying that the battles would be HALF the length?
so ... the slowdown is making them TWICE as long??

as i said previously - this is NOT my experience - and that sounds way beyond the realms of reasonable.

re: resolution - 720p.

Yep. Though of course it depends on the area because of the backgrounds and how many polys the enemies are made of, etc... The area I just came from was pretty bad.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
This is the problem.

Bepbo, you're running in 720 and it's upscaling to 1080i.

Charlie, you're running in 720p on your native 720p, with no upscaling, just flat-out 720p.

I'd be willing to wager that the upscaling to 1080i is what's causing the problem, because I've heard of many instances where 1080i, be it native or upscaled, hinders the game's performance.

the music is very nice in the first scene of blim blim's vid. The town theme is incredibly cheesy though....more orchestral sounds please. Although I suppose the town theme goes with the cutesy/dragon ball influences of the game...its just quite a contrast. Of course, that might just have been in the vid for sure

peace

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
dirtmonkey37 said:
This is the problem.

Charlie, you're running in 720p on your native 720p, with no upscaling, just flat-out 720p.

I'd be willing to wager that the upscaling to 1080i is what's causing the problem, because I've heard of many instances where 1080i, be it native or upscaled, hinders the game's performance.

:)

DCharlie

This is the problem.

agreed - the penny just dropped as to what Bebpo was saying (outputting 720p to a tv that is handling the scaling) but strange.... you'd expect 1080i to a 1080i capable tv to run fine.

but yeah - this would explain things - John TV, myself , Jonnyram, Mrs C all don't see anywhere near what bebpo is talking about - and i'd wager we are all running 720p native to native 720p sets.

the only weird thing is i do see the odd dropped frame - so i'm not sure why a scaler would struggle at , what sounds like, similar points?

Orlics

dirtmonkey37 said:
This is the problem.

Isn't his TV doing the upscaling though? That wouldn't affect performance at all.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
nelsonroyale said:
the music is very nice in the first scene of blim blim's vid. The town theme is incredibly cheesy though....more orchestral sounds please. Although I suppose the town theme goes with the cutesy/dragon ball influences of the game...its just quite a contrast. Of course, that might just have been in the vid for sure

peace
The point was to show the awesome music in the water dungeon, and the awesome graphics in the town :p

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Blimblim said:
The point was to show the awesome music in the water dungeon, and the awesome graphics in the town :p

The town music is actually a more electronic version of the real song. I forgot what it was called...Bad But Bat? Or something like that.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Orlics said:
Isn't his TV doing the upscaling though? That wouldn't affect performance at all.

I think it's the 360. The scaler isn't the best maybe? I don't know. Whatever it is, it's the fact that he's upscaling to 1080i. The game must have not been tested on 1080i sets extensively.

Well, forget releasing a patch Mistwalker/Artoon.....not many Japanese have their 360's hooked up to you-know-what.

Well, I'm off to sleep, glad to know that I solved a problem!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
dirtmonkey37 said:
The town music is actually a more electronic version of the real song. I forgot what it was called...Bad But Bat? Or something like that.
Yeah I know, it's the song of the other video in my news. Bad But Bat yes.
As for the whole 1080i issue, upscaling and then interlacing some progressive footage with tearing can lead to all sorts of weirdness, since with tearing you get 2 parts of a picture in one, and then when interlacing it you then place these parts in 2 different fields. That can put one part of a picture 3 frames after when it was supposed to be shown in extreme cases.

I'm playing 720p on a 720p set, and I notice quite a bit of slowdown during battles. The battles feel sluggish, particularly when shadows come onto the scene.

During cinematics, I can recall seeing major slowdown only once at around the 10 hour mark, but the screen was packed full of giant creatures and a bunch of people.

There's also quite a bit of choppiness when moving around through the overworld, presumably as the game loads in new sections. I'm pretty sure I can make it chop up on call.

These are problems that Microsoft will hopefully fix for the US version if enough people bitch about them, so if you see them, speak up now, or millions of gamers will suffer.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Blimblim said:

I like things that are short and to the point. Everything you do is on the mark and skips all the fluff. That automatically puts you above most others already.

duckroll

AndriaSang said:
These are problems that Microsoft will hopefully fix for the US version if enough people bitch about them, so if you see them, speak up now, or millions of gamers will suffer.

What do you think this is? Halo? :lol

Blimblim said:

The town looks nice, but for some reason I was more impressed by the water temple, very nice clean design, coupled with the music...great

peace

duckroll

Captain N said:
anyone unlock any of the secret achievements? I'm curious as to what they are going to be.

Most of them are one-time achievements that some people will simply miss. They're "secret" because of their spoiler nature. Basically throughout the game there are short minigame events that are a little like QTE events where you either hammer one button really fast or press buttons as they flash on the screen on so on. If you manage to clear them the first time without failing you get the achievement. If you don't you probably won't know you missed it.

pCeSlAyEr

fernoca said:
Hmm..
Why is everyone suddenly praising eM??
Like, when I had it..when it was released (along with the bundled comic book)...everyone hated it..said it was generic and a Pokemon ripoff...(even tough I liked it..also liked the fact that one of the 3 main charatcers was openly ..albeit cliched and exagerated...gay)

So, is eM..cool now??
I <3 eM... its not the greatest... but is enjoyable...

odd about the 1080i Issues.. I have never experienced anything like that before on my set.. I guess i'll have to wait to see if it happens in BD 4 me..

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If Bebpo is running his 360 in 720p mode, there will be absolutely no difference between what he is seeing and what anyone else using that display mode will see.

All scaling is being handled by the TV set itself and has absolutely no impact on the performance of the game in question.

It's disappointing to hear about the slowdown, though. Do you guys really think Bebpo is lying here? Perhaps there is a bit of hyperbole, true, but I doubt he is actually making anything up. He seems to notice all of the little framerate issues that I do and to actually bring up Sky Gunner during all this, well, I don't know what to say.

Sky Gunner used field rendering and, when unable to keep up, would simply drop fields resulting in a pixelated image running at half speed (when using such a display mode, you MUST keep your framerate high else you run into these issues). Sky Gunner literally had its framerate (and therefore play speed) cut by 50%. Naturally, Blue Dragon uses no such display mode, but it is still entirely possible that they have chosen to avoid frame skipping. If the framerate is dropping by upwards of 50% and the game insists on drawing all frames (I assume 30 fps is the target), the gameplay speed will drop by whatever percentage the framerate has. If this poor framerate continues throughout battle, the battle will take additional time to complete.

Based on what Bebpo is saying, however, it seems to vary per area and what one person is seeing at one point may vary from what another is seeing. I'd imagine Bebpo posted directly after playing through one of these segments and the sting was rather fresh.

I have a feeling it will bother me somewhat, unfortunately, but we'll see. The slowdown in Valkyrie Profile 2 was annoying enough and this sounds much worse.

duckroll

Blue Dragon has slowdown, some of it is pretty bad, especially later on, some of it is just the usual stuff that you see even in Gears of War. None of it is game breaking, and no one can say that it's not there. Will battles be 50% shorter if there wasn't any slowdown? Who the **** knows, I don't sit around timing battles and individual attacks with and without slowdown just to calculate if battles will be 50% shorter if there wasn't slowdown. Are the battles slow? Not at all.

I really hate how everytime you guys mention some stupid tech issue you drive the shit into the ground. It's ****ing annoying and doesn't help anyone at all. Bebpo will exaggerate shit to make it sound worse than it is with stupid sky-is-falling terms while DCharlie will just come right back in and make it sound totally the opposite by implying everyone's Xbox360 is broken.

Seriously guys, just shut the **** up, if I weren't playing the game my impression would be that the game is so boring that all anyone can bother talking about is the whether or not the screen tearing, framerate and realtime shadows are up to "international GAF standards" because everytime I try to bring up any gameplay comments everyone just wants to talk about tech crap instead.

Jonnyram

duckroll said:
Bebpo will exaggerate shit to make it sound worse than it is with stupid sky-is-falling terms while DCharlie will just come right back in and make it sound totally the opposite by implying everyone's Xbox360 is broken.
This is exactly what I was about to post. Slowdown is there, but it's not a big deal because it's an RPG. AFAIK, there is no slowdown in the places where it matters (i.e. timing related).

Oh and duckroll, someone's found out what all the secret achievements are, if you're interested. Doesn't seem like anything is majorly spoilerish. Some stuff could have been predicted and some stuff is just fun.
http://www12.atwiki.jp/xbox360score/pages/117.html

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'd love to be talking about the game myself, but they insisted on region locks once again. :( Hopefully SOMEONE will come up with a method for circumventing these locks in the future.

I can't praise Sony enough for removing region restrictions from the PS3.

Top Bottom