• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Alex

It wasn't until Uematsu quit Square that I really noticed how much I adored his music. The BD OST is giving like the best vibe I've had from a game soundtrack in a long time

fernoca said:
So, is eM..cool now??

Enchanted Arms is a pretty good game. It's nothing really "wow", but it's the best jRPG on a Microsoft console ever, so I was extra happy right there.

Of course, looks like Blue Dragon is better....? :)

Alex said:
It wasn't until Uematsu quit Square that I really noticed how much I adored his music. The BD OST is giving like the best vibe I've had from a game soundtrack in a long time

Yeah, same. I pretty much downplayed his skill after he did like 10 tracks in Final Fantasy X. Really unimpressive stuff, plus his music in Advent Children wasn't the best either.

duckroll

Blue Dragon has really good music, but what really impressed me was how in disc 2 there's a certain piece of composition representing a certain theme that is then used with different instrument and samples in different areas so it sounds totally different musically but yet reminds you constantly of its root source. Wow I dunno if that made any sense at all, but in short: I think the music is really good!

Bebpo said:
Blue Dragon canyon:
picssss224045.jpg

vs.

[EM] canyon:
emnew19b.jpg

Fight!

Bebpo,

What type of TV are you using there?

DarknessTear said:
Yeah, same. I pretty much downplayed his skill after he did like 10 tracks in Final Fantasy X. Really unimpressive stuff, plus his music in Advent Children wasn't the best either.

More like 30-40, but whatever -- HIS ffx work is probably his weakest in the series.

anyway - Uematsu is one of the best composers. Not overrated at all. He deserves it all.

Jonnyram

I dunno if anyone else has posted this in this thread, but Konami is supposedly making a Blue Dragon TCG next year. This gets me thinking... it would be so weird if Square Enix ends up making a BD game. Maybe they could make a shitty action game with it or something :)

clashfan

Jonnyram said:
I dunno if anyone else has posted this in this thread, but Konami is supposedly making a Blue Dragon TCG next year. This gets me thinking... it would be so weird if Square Enix ends up making a BD game. Maybe they could make a shitty action game with it or something :)

Is the Konami game for the 360?

-eM- is a nice looking game, definitely underrated and overlooked. The running animations looked a bit stiff though. I love the animations in Blue Dragon.

em6pq5.jpg

em7yz7.jpg

em11kh3.jpg

em3fx7.jpg

J-Rzez

Bebpo said:
Sony XBR960 CRT HDTV. I'm pretty happy with it until the next time I have to move it (200+ pounds!).

There we go... I know, I carried it through my backyard, then up two sets of steps to the room it's in... BEAUTIFUL tv though... well, I have the "older" model before the XBR name-slate... but the Super-Fine Pitch tube is in there!

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
[QUOTE = dirtmonkey37]Does it live up to the Famitsu score and the hype surrounding the game now that you're done with the first disc?[/QUOTE]

dirtmonkey37 said:
And to expand on that, can you (please, please, please) make a long post about the all of the game's aspects and how they compare to other games etc.?

I take it, from your posts, that there are no puzzles....which frightens me, just a little bit. Is it just battle after battle after battle, which is perfectly fine for a linear RPG if the story and characters are worth caring about but you said that the characters are as developed as those of FFIII....

yeah...bump.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Think lemonparty. Now imagine that it was an RPG. That's eM.

other than the characters themselves, i think what was putting me off more was the way that all of them would jump up and down a little, or swing themselves so the clothing physics would kick in... whilst the next gay joke rolled on by....

Bebpo

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
yeah...bump.

I'll get back to you when I've played more. At this point I think I'll just finish it (it's looking like 40-50 hours right now; which would be like 80 hours for those who took 20+ to finish disc 1) and then do a full write up. It's really hard to tell whether the character development will be good or not. There's been a lot of gameplay with very little character/story and then there's been chunks with A LOT non-stop. There are parts where the game feels boring and I'm reading GAF threads while tapping A on the controller with 1 finger without even looking at the screen, and there are parts that have been totally charming and I love talking to every NPC at the moment. Really mixed bag of game, so it's pretty hard to judge until it's all said and done.

DCharlie said:
other than the characters themselves, i think what was putting me off more was the way that all of them would jump up and down a little, or swing themselves so the clothing physics would kick in... whilst the next gay joke rolled on by....

Sarcasm? ;)

Bebpo said:
I'll get back to you when I've played more. At this point I think I'll just finish it (it's looking like 40-50 hours right now; which would be like 80 hours for those who took 20+ to finish disc 1) and then do a full write up. It's really hard to tell whether the character development will be good or not. There's been a lot of gameplay with very little character/story and then there's been chunks with A LOT non-stop. There are parts where the game feels boring and I'm reading GAF threads while tapping A on the controller with 1 finger without even looking at the screen, and there are parts that have been totally charming and I love talking to every NPC at the moment. Really mixed bag of game, so it's pretty hard to judge until it's all said and done.

Sarcasm? ;)

Sounds like your forum addiction is interfering with your enjoyment of a good game. Turn your computer off until you finish Blue Dragon.

Bebpo

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Sounds like your forum addiction is interfering with your enjoyment of a good game. Turn your computer off until you finish Blue Dragon.

No actually, GAF gets me through easy dungeon battles in a lot of rpgs. It's very helpful :)

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Bebpo said:

Sarcasm? ;)

Your tone of voice frightens me about the game......It doesn't seem like it's anything special....

But I'll just wait until you finish it.....by....Friday (which is Thurday in the US)?

haha, dont' mean to rush you or anything :)

Bebpo said:
No actually, GAF gets me through easy dungeon battles in a lot of rpgs. It's very helpful :)

For me personally, one usually trumps the other. I have to immerse myself entirely into one thing at a time or I can't fully enjoy things. I also obsess alot but that is another topic of discussion entirely. :D

Bebpo

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
Your tone of voice frightens me about the game......It doesn't seem like it's anything special....

But I'll just wait until you finish it.....by....Friday (which is Thurday in the US)?

haha, dont' mean to rush you or anything :)

Heh, I'm giving myself until the 21st to finish it since once I get the Japanese MGS Portable Ops I'm dropping everything else to play that. But I'll probably finish it sooner than that. EDF3 co-op might delay it a bit :D

Bebpo said:
Heh, I'm giving myself until the 21st to finish it since once I get the Japanese MGS Portable Ops I'm dropping everything else to play that. But I'll probably finish it sooner than that. EDF3 co-op might delay it a bit :D

I want to know all about EDF3. MGS.....not so much. But EDF3 is around the top of my list, so I definitely wanna hear something about that.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Bebpo said:

Give us some impressions of EDF, I've never played a game in that series before. It looked kind of......weird to me, you know, the earlier iterations (on the PS2, right?).

You mentioned the Lost Odyssey demo....that was disgusting. I waited 2 hours for that just to play the demo....that was only 10 minutes long. The graphics were nice, but everything else was meh. However, for the time being, I was pleased with just the graphics, and that made me happy.

The blue dragon demo was very fullfilling on the other hand. I really like the clean look of the game which seems to hold up in the images you posted.

909er

dirtmonkey37 said:
Do you guys think 70K in one day good over there (in JPN) for a new RPG IP? Perosnally, it sounds like a pretty solid number for what BD is anyways, but I'd still like to ask others of their thoughts.

Will it even pick up? Will it sell 20K tomorrow? Will it sell 10K the next day? What's the pattern going to be, if there even is one?

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but it's 70k combined with the hardware.

43,000 copies of the game, and 27,000 of the hardware bundle for the first day sales, a Thursday.

Snaku

Banned
Bebpo said:

MPO totally owns, but you gotta finish BD first. For the good of GAF!

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
909er said:

43,000 copies of the game, and 27,000 of the hardware bundle for the first day sales, a Thursday.

Oooooh. Still 27K 360's in one day is awesome!!!! Way better than 1K a week (1-2 months ago) and also way better than 6K a week (recently). 27K in one day!!! That's better than what Europe did in a single week of 360 sales this month (25K). Yay!!!

My exuberance will hopefully not die out....because I'm sure the only day it's going to sell this many consoles is....today......hopefully next week sees nice numbers but as it stands........

Good luck 360 in JPN!

909er

dirtmonkey37 said:
Oooooh. Still 27K 360's in one day is awesome!!!! Way better than 1K a week (1-2 months ago) and also way better than 6K a week (recently). 27K in one day!!! That's better than what Europe did in a single week of 360 sales this month (25K). Yay!!!

My exuberance will hopefully not die out....because I'm sure the only day it's going to sell this many consoles is....today......hopefully next week sees nice numbers but as it stands........

Good luck 360 in JPN!

Hopefully with Winning Eleven and Lost Planet as well Lost Oddysey the 360 can at least do better than the original Xbox there.

GhaleonEB

909er said:

Yup. Should be decent hardware sales; near launch numbers, actually. Which I think is kinda funny, and kinda sad.

The goal of 200k seems achievable.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
GhaleonEB said:
Yup. Should be decent hardware sales; near launch numbers, actually. Which I think is kinda funny, and kinda sad.

The goal of 200k seems achievable.

200K of what? The bundle, hardware sales alone, or the game itself? Just wondering :p

Blimblim

The Inside Track
dirtmonkey37 said:
200K of what? The bundle, hardware sales alone, or the game itself? Just wondering :p
200K for the game, counting sales of the game alone and in the bundle.
I've finished the Maru-Maro's village arc yesterday, the water temple had some of the best music I've ever heard in a videogame. Just plain beautiful.

909er

dirtmonkey37 said:

I think MS's goal is to have 200,000 copies of the game out, so I guess combined for game and bundle.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Blimblim said:
200K for the game, counting sales of the game alone and in the bundle.
I've finished the Maru-Maro's village arc yesterday, the water temple had some of the best music I've ever heard in a videogame. Just plain beautiful.

Blim, why don't you post some of your impressions so far? Just a paragraph or two, if it's not too much trouble.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
909er said:
I think MS's goal is to have 200,000 copies of the game out, so I guess combined for game and bundle.

Hopefully. I hope the game does well and moves some hardware while it's at it.

Why? Because I want to see FF vii-make (read: eff eff veee make; it's supposed to mean FF7 remake...get it............okayfine..) on the 360.

GhaleonEB

dirtmonkey37 said:
Hopefully. I hope the game does well and moves some hardware while it's at it.

Why? Because I want to see FF vii-make (read: eff eff veee make; it's supposed to mean FF7 remake...get it............okayfine..) on the 360.
Yeah, they made 100k bundles, so 100k seperate sales as well.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
dirtmonkey37 said:
Blim, why don't you post some of your impressions so far? Just a paragraph or two, if it's not too much trouble.
I'm not very good at writing, be it in french or english so I'll just quote myself in the news I just put online.
me said:
I've spent quite a big part of my week-end playing Blue Dragon and I can now say that it's been a long time since I've had so much fun with a game. Blue Dragon is an almost perfect mix of eyes and ears pleasure (see video), typical Toriyama silliness (see other video) and of course deep but accessible gameplay. I just can't wait to get out of work so I can go back to the world created by Toriyama and Sakaguchi.
I recommend you watch the "beautiful game" video :)
http://www.xboxyde.com/news_3878_en.html

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Blimblim said:
I'm not very good at writing, be it in french or english so I'll just quote myself in the news I just put online.

I recommend you watch the "beautiful game" video :)
http://www.xboxyde.com/news_3878_en.html

For a person that was (presumably) born and raised in France, your English is no different than most adults in the United States: it's excellent.

In fact, I, to this day, question whether or not you are actually from France, because the written portion of Xboxyde's English section is written with perfect English.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
My main problem would be that I have no way to get my thoughts written like I want, be it in french or english. I just have zero literary talent, and it's the main reason why my sites are media sites and have almost no editorial content ;)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Really simple question and apologies as I haven't kept up with this thread:

I've seen someone previously mention that this game is very similar to a classic JRPG, like an older Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. Could anyone elaborate on that please? A basic explanation would do fine, many thanks in advance.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Blimblim said:
I've spent quite a big part of my week-end playing Blue Dragon and I can now say that it's been a long time since I've had so much fun with a game. Blue Dragon is an almost perfect mix of eyes and ears pleasure (see video), typical Toriyama silliness (see other video) and of course deep but accessible gameplay. I just can't wait to get out of work so I can go back to the world created by Toriyama and Sakaguchi.

WOW! That's fantastic! I'm even more hyped than before now!

FAKE EDIT: Oh my God. The music in that video is amazing. HOLY ****. Woah. I can't believe my ears.

Jonnyram

Alright guys... try to chill with the screenshots of places that people who are currently playing are blatantly nowhere near, ok? :(
I know there's no story spoilers there, but I like surprises when I go to new areas and stuff. If you want to post them, I'd rather see links than the actual pics.

Top Bottom