• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Blimblim

The Inside Track
jet1911 said:
Wow, great ligthing. :O

11.jpg
Yeah, and it's even better in some other places I don't want to show and spoil here.
When it's good, BD's lighting is the best I've ever seen in a game, ever. The one place I don't want to show here is the first time in my gaming career I honestly thought it looked as good as a Pixar movie. It's just incredible. When it's average, it's still better than 99% of other games.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Thoren said:
Gosh this game just looks plain gorgeous!

I do think they overdo the depth of a field a little bit, is it very noticable in-game?
Depends on the areas. Sometimes it's way overdone, sometimes it's nice.
And the DOF is a 100% artistical choice, if you watch stuff through a transparent object there is no DOF and you can see that all the details are still there.

pswii60

Blimblim said:
Depends on the areas. Sometimes it's way overdone, sometimes it's nice.
And the DOF is a 100% artistical choice, if you watch stuff through a transparent object there is no DOF and you can see that all the details are still there.

Hey Blim, with the game being up to 50 hours long, does that include a lot of backtracking through the same environments ala Oblivion? Or is that 50 hours of full semi-linear gameplay? If so, how the hell did they make a game of this size so quickly?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
pswii60 said:
Hey Blim, with the game being up to 50 hours long, does that include a lot of backtracking through the same environments ala Oblivion? Or is that 50 hours of full semi-linear gameplay? If so, how the hell did they make a game of this size so quickly?
Very little backtracking, if any. As for the speed of dev, I'll just post this again:
Main credits: 32 people (also credited elsewhere for the most part)
Voice actors: 39
Microsoft: 18 (marketing and also audio/art/game design)
Mistwalker: 9 (marketing/vp)
Artoon: ~300 (that's crazy!)
Music: 15
Recording: 7
Sound: 8
CG (Robot) : 3
Story Unit ufo table: 5
CG Unit Shirogomi Inc: 45
Jet Studio: 7
Live Company LTD: 9
Sunny Gapen LTD: 3
Print: 3
Test: 13
Microsoft Games Studio: 39
Microsoft: 11
Microsoft tests: ~60

And a breakdown of Artoon's art team:
32 character&monster modelers
62 animators
30 town modelers
21 dungeons modelers
12 misc modelers
37 realtime cutscenes motion artists

Manp

WOW Blim, your new capture hardware seems to be doing an amazing job! say goodbye to the blurry look of the old captures :D

PS: i've just discovered the link "A gallery of images from this video is available,click here to display it" on your site only works if you're logged

:)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Manp said:
WOW Blim, your new capture hardware seems to be doing an amazing job! say goodbye to the blurry look of the old captures :D

Yeah. Though there are still quite a lot of issues to fix before I can use this hardware as easily as the old one. Time to buy some more video cables and stuff. Yay :)

Thanks Blim, looks awesome. Personally I like the way they use DOF.

jb.jpg

Anyway, does the game still have motion blur on the character movements or anywhere else? I remember when Sakaguchi first talked about the game, and he mentioned there was motion blur on the characters.

1147229400.jpg

pswii60

Blimblim said:
Very little backtracking, if any. As for the speed of dev, I'll just post this again:

62 animators
30 town modelers
21 dungeons modelers
12 misc modelers

Well I think what is more impressive than the speed of development is not just the fact that they used such a big budget to recruit so many people to work on the project, but the fact that they successfully managed the project (and the gigantic team) and got the game out there to critical acclaim.

I just hope Lost Odyssey turns out every bit as great. Can't wait to get stuck in to Blue Dragon, can't come soon enough :)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
vspectra06 said:
Thanks Blim, looks awesome. Personally I like the way they use DOF.

Anyway, does the game still have motion blur on the character movements or anywhere else? I remember when Sakaguchi first talked about the game, and he mentioned there was motion blur on the characters.
I'm pretty sure there is no motion blur.

Manp

Blimblim said:
Yeah. Though there are still quite a lot of issues to fix before I can use this hardware as easily as the old one. Time to buy some more video cables and stuff. Yay :)

don't even want to know how much it costs you... capture hw, cables and the pc that goes after that for storage (i've read you talking about a future 2TB upgrade, damn!) and encoding :D

PleoMax

Banned
Blimblim said:

62 animators
30 town modelers
21 dungeons modelers
12 misc modelers

Wow. Allot of human Resources. LO having a bigger budget, i wonder how much human resources is being put behind it.

How is the story Blim? Is it light but interesting in a DBZ kind of way or somethig?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Thoren said:
Hey blim, not to pester you, but do you think you could show us any screenshots of the in-battle stuff?
I'll try to do that this week-end, though it might be better to just wait for the english subtitled (asia version) of the game and just play through it again :D
Manp said:
don't even want to know how much it costs you... capture hw, cables and the pc that goes after that for storage (i've read you talking about a future 2TB upgrade, damn!) and encoding :D

You don't want to know. Heck, I don't want to know either. Anyway, the most important part for me was to be able to capture directly in 720p resolution and not having to go through the 1080i->720p conversion which was the only way to get an acceptable quality with my old hardware. And of course 1080i worked nicely with the 360, not so much with lots of PS3 games...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
jj984jj said:
So even the Game Designers are from MS? What did Sakaguchi and Mistwalker do?
The designers are in the 32 main credits.
PleoMax said:
How is the story Blim? Is it light but interesting in a DBZ kind of way or somethig?
Yeah simple yet good enough to keep us interested, with an awesome twist almost at the end.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Great job Blim.

Anyways, I'm curious if the comments about Blue Dragon in Milky's recent blog have any truth to them. You know, how he mentioned that Blue Dragon just plain-out sucks.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
FootNinja said:
ps3 funds ><

Ouch. I wouldn't have done that if I were you. Especially when the 360's truly hitting it's prime. From mid '07 (about now) to mid '08, the 360 will see the release of multiple groundbreaking and high profile titles. You're missing out.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
dirtmonkey37 said:
Ouch. I wouldn't have done that if I were you. Especially when the 360's truly hitting it's prime. From mid '07 (about now) to mid '08, the 360 will see the release of multiple groundbreaking and high profile titles. You're missing out.
Which ground breaking titles?

Kosma

Banned
Mass Effect and Blue Dragon are both due out in September here in Europe.

Ofcourse I'll pick them both up....but it's obvious which I will play first. This game is looking all kinds of awesome!

Blim, how would you rate the soundtrack?

Thoren

Banned
FootNinja said:
Which ground breaking titles?

Biggest 360 titles being:

Mass Effect
Halo 3
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Fable 2
Banjo Kazoie 3
Alan Wake
Too Human

At least in my opinion. Mercy if I missed any!

CAPCOWNED

Banned
Thoren said:

Mass Effect
Halo 3
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Fable 2
Banjo Kazoie 3
Alan Wake
Too Human

Do you even know what groundbreaking means? Fable 2 is the only one that might be groundbreaking. Blue Dragon certainly isn't.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
CAPCOWNED said:
Do you even know what groundbreaking means? Fable 2 is the only one that might be groundbreaking. Blue Dragon certainly isn't.

I feel Blue Dragon is ground breaking from what I've read about and played of it. Have you played Blue Dragon?

Blue Dragon, like God of War, doesn't do anything new per se, but once again, from what I've read, it does everything right. Aesthetically it is amazing and technologically it is head-over-heels above many other games out there according to the press, Blim's impressions (and pictures), and my own impressions. Let's not forget about the amazing sense of scale and extremely high production values. But forget all that if you want: it's the first next-gen RPG to truly realize the concept of making a fully living, breathing world from what I've heard.

Let's go back to the list of groundbreaking games:

Thoren said:

Mass Effect
Halo 3
Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Fable 2
Banjo Kazoie 3
Alan Wake
Too Human

Mass Effect. I don't need to explain this one.

Fable 2 " "

Alan Wake. Because of its story, physics, and unprecedented sense of atmosphere working harmoniously with the breathtaking visuals, I'm willing to wager that Alan Wake will be a revolutionary experience.

Too Human. I'm sure the footage did the game justice. SK is doing so many "groundbreaking" worthy things with this title, it's hard to list them all. Here's one: seamlessly blending film and interactive software into one in a new, fresh way.

Halo 3. The online portion is what will be groundbreaking. Taking what people thought an online console game was and evolving that to a disturbing degree into something brilliant that no one has seen done before.

Just a few.

However, I will admit that my use of "groundbreaking" is somewhat incorrect. There are actually just more "amazing" games than there are "groundbreaking," because groundbreaking denotes something that revolutionizes, not something that's brilliantly and artfully crafted.

Excuse me for the confusion.

yukoner

CAPCOWNED said:

Too Human
Bioshock
Mass Effect

Are about as groundbreaking as you get in the video game world, all three claim to be offering new experiences never really seen before.

Bioshock with it's variety of of gameplay possibilities which they claim to be extremely diverse.

Mass Effect with it's huge universe, natural dialogue system, and evolutionary evil/good/neutral system.

Too Human with creating a game that is closer to immersing you in the feel of a movie than we have ever seen before.

CAPCOWNED

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
Blue Dragon, like God of War, doesn't do anything new per se

That's the very definition of groundbreaking. I'm looking forward to Blue Dragon and it looks to be an awesome game, but there's no need to throw around superlatives that you don't even know the meaning of.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Ugh, make a new topic for the console war crap people, this is suppose to be about Blue Dragon.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
CAPCOWNED said:
That's the very definition of groundbreaking. I'm looking forward to Blue Dragon and it looks to be an awesome game, but there's no need to throw around superlatives that you don't even know the meaning of.

Just because it doesn't implement any new gameplay mechanics innovates more than that "other" game doesn't mean a title cannot be "groundbreaking."

Groundbreaking: being or producing something like nothing done or experienced or created before
-Wordnet 3.0

Taking that into account, from reading various reviews (Play) and previews (IGN) and playing the game for myself, I can confidently conclude that Blue Dragon is a groundbreaking next-generation RPG experience.

Blue Dragon is something that has not been "experienced...before." Because of its graphical and aesthetic prowess, it manages to realize a 3D interactive world, filled with life and secrets about better than any RPG before. It immerses the player like "nothing done...before" all wrapped around a shiny cellophane wrapper of RPG gameplay that takes the old and dissolves it in some fresh, "nothing done...before" ideas.

Once again, this is what I have read in previews, reviews, and what I can infer from my ten-minute demo of the game. Take it with a grain of salt, but I have my own reasons to believe Blue Dragon will be groundbreaking.

jj984jj said:
Ugh, make a new topic for the console war crap people, this is suppose to be about Blue Dragon.

:D I have managed to get us back on track!

Kosma

Banned
Doesn anyone know how good the soundtrack is? I've heard that most of it is awesome (except crappy singing @ boss battles).

I really need to hear some samples though :)

oo Kosma oo said:
Doesn anyone know how good the soundtrack is? I've heard that most of it is awesome (except crappy singing @ boss battles).

WHAT!

The Boss Battle songs by Ian Gillan are ****ing fantastic.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
oo Kosma oo said:

Check the earlier pages of this thread for some samples. I believe Blim put up some links to some (not sure if it was him though).

The music is excellent though. The melodies are so catchy and well composed. :)

Kosma

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
Check the earlier pages of this thread for some samples. I believe Blim put up some links to some (not sure if it was him though).

The music is excellent though. The melodies are so catchy and well composed. :)

Thanks for the tip!

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Karma Kramer said:
WHAT!

The Boss Battle songs by Ian Gillan are ****ing fantastic.

I feel similarly. Many find it to be a cacaphonous mess. I guess at first it is a bit obnoxious, but when it grows on you, it's one of the coolest songs ever! :)

Kosma

Banned
Holy crap!

I just found some link to the radiocast of mistwalker or something burried in this massive thread.

Soundtrack sounds like pure gold! I remember listening to FF7 soundtrack for months before it came out...can see the same thing happening here :)

*urge to buy OST overwhelming!*

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
oo Kosma oo said:
Holy crap!

I just found some link to the radiocast of mistwalker or something burried in this massive thread.

Soundtrack sounds like pure gold! I remember listening to FF7 soundtrack for months before it came out...can see the same thing happening here :)

*urge to buy OST overwhelming!*

I told you it was amazing. That "cave" song is simply brilliant.

Kosma

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
I told you it was amazing. That "cave" song is simply brilliant.

You mean "Cavern"? Oh man....it really is good.

Damn if I buy this OST I will have to buy the FF7 one too.

Top Bottom