• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
dirtmonkey37 said:
I feel Blue Dragon is ground breaking from what I've read about and played of it. Have you played Blue Dragon?

Blue Dragon, like God of War, doesn't do anything new per se, but once again, from what I've read, it does everything right. Aesthetically it is amazing and technologically it is head-over-heels above many other games out there according to the press, Blim's impressions (and pictures), and my own impressions. Let's not forget about the amazing sense of scale and extremely high production values. But forget all that if you want: it's the first next-gen RPG to truly realize the concept of making a fully living, breathing world from what I've heard.

Let's go back to the list of groundbreaking games:

Mass Effect. I don't need to explain this one.

Fable 2 " "

Alan Wake. Because of its story, physics, and unprecedented sense of atmosphere working harmoniously with the breathtaking visuals, I'm willing to wager that Alan Wake will be a revolutionary experience.

Too Human. I'm sure the footage did the game justice. SK is doing so many "groundbreaking" worthy things with this title, it's hard to list them all. Here's one: seamlessly blending film and interactive software into one in a new, fresh way.

Halo 3. The online part will be what is groundbreaking. Taking what people thought an online console game was and evolving that to a disturbing degree into something brilliant.

Just a few.

However, I will admit that my use of "groundbreaking" is somewhat incorrect. There are actually just more "amazing" games than there are "groundbreaking," because groundbreaking denotes something that revolutionizes, not something that's brilliantly and artfully crafted.

Excuse me for the confusion.

Dont want to change this into a list war of some sort so i will just leave it at Blue dragon looks like a must have :p

pswii60

The whole scale of this game totally floors me.

I don't know why, but watching the cavern vids etc makes me feel nostalgia towards PSO on Dreamcast.

I just really, really, really want this game. I'm getting so damn impatient for it.

I just know I'll love it to bits. I'm just hoping the Elite comes out here in Europe before release, because I want to see these beautiful graphics to HDMI perfection :)

BlizzyAzz

bluedragoniz5.jpg

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-dw-49-en-70-1oht.html

Nice collectors item :D

BitchTits

The game looks absolutely beautiful. If it were on graphics alone, this would be top of my wants list. But reading about the 'classic' JRPG gameplay just frightens me away from this game completely.

It seems from what I'm reading, if you like classic, tried and tested JPRG game structure, battle system and character design and archtypes, this is the game for you, but if you find these JRPG game elements far too rigid and set in their old ways, it would be a big disappointment if the screenshots previously got you all hot under the collar.

I'm hoping they come through with the demo because that would make up my mind. :)

BlizzyAzz

20070424bd03.jpg

Is the US or European release date official set??

from Gamefront.de

Blue Dragon 2 könnte Online-Spiel werden

25.04.07 - Hironobu Sakaguchi von Mistwalker hat auf einer Veranstaltung in Südkorea über das Rollenspiel Blue Dragon Click Picture gesprochen, das Ende Mai 2007 ausgeliefert wird.

Wie Gpara schreibt, befindet sich Mistwalker wegen Blue Dragon 2 noch in Gesprächen mit Microsoft. Laut Sakaguchi besteht die Möglichkeit, dass der Nachfolger ein Online-Spiel sein wird.

They reporting about an event from South Korea, where Sakaguchi stated that Blue Dragon 2 could be an online game (no further details if MMO or DLC etc...), however it says that the game will be shipped by the end of may (05/24/07). I thought the game was delayed, could that be the release date for the Korean version?

here the original source in Japanese:

ブルードラゴン』のハングル版に関する内容も具体的に紹介された。また、韓国マイクロソフト社によると『ブルードラゴン』のハングル版は2007年5月24日(木)に発売され、全年齢対応。韓国語と日本語の両方でプレイ可能となる予定。値段は4万5千ウォンである。

http://www.gpara.com/kaigainews/korea/2007042402.php

madhtr

BlizzyAzz said:
Is the US or European release date official set??

I thought the game was delayed, could that be the release date for the Korean version?
US - August | Europe - September | 05/24/07 - Korea

Thoren

Banned
BlizzyAzz said:
...They reporting about an event from South Korea, where Sakaguchi stated that Blue Dragon 2 could be an online game...

Well he said that he wants Blue Dragon to be his new "Final Fantasy", I hope he REALLY mixes things up with each release!

And at GDC during the Microsoft RPG discussion he noted that he would really be interested in making a MMO game.

Those screens look pretty equivalent to the new Ratchet and Clank game coming out, which is pretty damn impressive considering this game is half a year old and Ratchet and Clank isn't even done yet.

Blue Dragon has finally gone into my coveted "must buy" catagory. I think I've only bought about 15 RPGs in the past 20 years, and it's made the list.

I've only bought about 3 in the past 5 years, and now this is the 4th (Morrowind, KOTOR and Oblivion were the only others).

This year is going to be the MOST EXPENSIVE for a RPG fan like myself.

Really apologize for this, I know its probably been answered a billion times but I heard a while back that there would be a way to switch to the Japanese voice acting in the NA version, is this still in the game?

And Thoren, where did you get that Kluke pic? I want a new x360 background :)

Llyranor

Both languages would be available in the NA version from last notice. I haven't heard of this being changed.

Now, if only they would do the same for Eternal Sonata.

Thoren

Banned
kirbybreezy said:
Really apologize for this, I know its probably been answered a billion times but I heard a while back that there would be a way to switch to the Japanese voice acting in the NA version, is this still in the game?

And Thoren, where did you get that Kluke pic? I want a new x360 background :)

I got it from the Blue Dragon anime, which launched in this month!

You should check it out!

Thoren

Banned
There are three episodes already out. I only watched the first, people have said the anime may ruin the perception of the characters when you play the game, since their personalities are different in the anime.

Here's dark skin Zora

kluke3.jpg

Edit: Also if you want to even deepen the blue dragon experience before you get the game, the Manga Blue Dragon Ral Grado has been fan-translated pretty far. It has awesome scenes like this:

bluedragon-001-31.png

It's about a boy named Ral, who is kept in a dark "pod" like contraption his whole life to conceal the Dragon Shadow within him from manifesting power. It's pretty dark, and from the same author as Death Note

Bebpo

Banned
I picked up the 300 points shuffle dungeon.

It's actually pretty cool and has a nice mix of new enemies, re-used bosses from the main game as small mini-bosses, random treasure, and I'm guessing some super bosses. It's a cave area that looks fairly nice and has a lot of nothings to investigate. Enemies don't give to much exp or sp so it's not really a grinding place.

I wish they released these kinds of things closer to the game release. With rpgs I really can't just jump back in to them as I load up my game and am like "hmmm...how do you play this game again?" and I dunno how my characters are setup at all ^^; I was pretty overpowered (since I finished the hardest hidden boss before my last save) so I got through a bunch of this dungeon with just standard punching and simple black magic.

Still seems like a good amount of content for like $4.

Tokubetsu

Thoren said:
There are three episodes already out. I only watched the first, people have said the anime may ruin the perception of the characters when you play the game, since their personalities are different in the anime.

Here's dark skin Zora

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/knucklez00/kluke3.jpg

Edit: Also if you want to even deepen the blue dragon experience before you get the game, the Manga Blue Dragon Ral Grado has been fan-translated pretty far. It has awesome scenes like this:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/knucklez00/bluedragon-001-31.png

It's about a boy named Ral, who is kept in a dark "pod" like contraption his whole life to conceal the Dragon Shadow within him from manifesting power. It's pretty dark, and from the same author as Death Note

Dunno about the anime but the manga is holy shit awesome. I understand what their going for with the game and all but it makes me wish they went with the manga's artstyle/atmospher (yeah I know the manga came AFTER the game..). Here's to hoping we get an action game or something with Ral and Mio!

Thoren

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Dunno about the anime but the manga is holy shit awesome. I understand what their going for with the game and all but it makes me wish they went with the manga's artstyle/atmospher (yeah I know the manga came AFTER the game..). Here's to hoping we get an action game or something with Ral and Mio!

The Author is really good, and the scenes are set up well and very fun to read. I think it's humor is kind of cheesy, just using women or Ral's ignorance, but it's still great.

I hope in the future Blue Dragon tries new styles of gameplay and art out instead of just sticking with the Toriyama stuff.

Tokubetsu

Thoren said:
The Author is really good, and the scenes are set up well and very fun to read. I think it's humor is kind of cheesy, just using women or Ral's ignorance, but it's still great.

I hope in the future Blue Dragon tries new styles of gameplay and art out instead of just sticking with the Toriyama stuff.

Yeah, even if they don't use this particular style/atmosphere outside of the Ral manga, I hope they mix up everything else (I wouldn't mind a BD2/BD game spin-offs with a different style/atmosphere to it).

reriel

Bebpo said:
I picked up the 300 points shuffle dungeon.

It's actually pretty cool and has a nice mix of new enemies, re-used bosses from the main game as small mini-bosses, random treasure, and I'm guessing some super bosses. It's a cave area that looks fairly nice and has a lot of nothings to investigate. Enemies don't give to much exp or sp so it's not really a grinding place.

I wish they released these kinds of things closer to the game release. With rpgs I really can't just jump back in to them as I load up my game and am like "hmmm...how do you play this game again?" and I dunno how my characters are setup at all ^^; I was pretty overpowered (since I finished the hardest hidden boss before my last save) so I got through a bunch of this dungeon with just standard punching and simple black magic.

Still seems like a good amount of content for like $4.
good, but we still waiting your promised but never posted impressions ;__;

madhtr

S8 RoXoRz said:
So what day in August is Blue Dragon coming out and will it have random battles?
There is no set day but if I wanted to be psychic, I'd say: The 7, 14, 21, or 28.

And you can see the enemies in the field.

Bebpo

Banned
Hunahan said:
So how tricky is it to get 1000 pts here? Do you need to use a hintguide to find some of the really uber-secret stuff or is it possible to discern just from playing the game and paying attention?

You need a FAQ and you need to make special saves before a ton of events so you don't miss the achievement.

If you're playing as a normal person and enjoying the game you should get between 150 and 400 points depending on how long you grind for the super bonus bosses at the end.

It's faaaaar easier to get some of the achievements on your 2nd run if you're someone who plays 50 hour rpgs twice.

I mean Jonnyram is like one of our master achievement unlockers on GAF and has netted the full 1000 on some pretty hardcore games and I don't even think he's gotten 1000 in BD.

Thoren

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Have you played this yet or are you just really looking forward to it?
:lol the 2nd pic didn't show up at first.

I've played the Japanese version at a friend's house, but I've decided to wait for a subtitled (Asia) version or the English release before I play it. Plus it's hard to sit in the dark and play RPGs while you aren't in your own home :).

edit: Wow you sure change your avatar alot :lol

Red Scarlet

Oh, was curious. The only way I'd be able to play this is if someone at school gets it next semester. If that's the case, I'd give it a try, but that's the only real way anytime soon.

My avs change via an automatic script.

Thoren

Banned
It's tough waiting. I've also been holding out on the anime, I can't believe no fansubbing groups haven't picked it up yet.

Sirusjr

Banned
I cant wait for this game. Hopefully I can find a premium 360 for 300$ before it comes out. I got the soundtrack for christmas last year because its Uematsu and its really awesome. I love how they use some of the music from the game in the anime at least so far in the first episode I recognized some.

I know I saw something about how the characters are a little different in the anime than the game but does anyone know if the anime storyline will spoil me for the game's storyline? I certainly wouldn't want to do that.

Thoren said:
It's tough waiting. I've also been holding out on the anime, I can't believe no fansubbing groups haven't picked it up yet.
actually I have found one group that picked it up but I don't want to post the name of the group in case it is against the rules.

Hunahan

Banned
Bebpo said:
You need a FAQ and you need to make special saves before a ton of events so you don't miss the achievement.

If you're playing as a normal person and enjoying the game you should get between 150 and 400 points depending on how long you grind for the super bonus bosses at the end.

It's faaaaar easier to get some of the achievements on your 2nd run if you're someone who plays 50 hour rpgs twice.

I mean Jonnyram is like one of our master achievement unlockers on GAF and has netted the full 1000 on some pretty hardcore games and I don't even think he's gotten 1000 in BD.

Yeah, he has a 1000. That's what the link is.

But thanks for the info. It's one of the things I kind of dislike about JRPGs, that you really need some sort of guide to find the secrets in most of them, but oh well, I'm sure it's too profitable for them to stop now.

So it sounds like I should probably look to pick up the official strategy guide when I grab the game if I want to get the most out of it then. Good to know.

Wow there is already DLC out for it? Nice.

I just got the game a few days ago from the play-asia sale. Been having a lot of fun with it. Amazing looking game, and the music is just wonderful.

Thoren

Banned
It will definately reach that eventually, I think when other RPGs come out the new owners will also pick up Blue Dragon

Top Bottom