• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Stinger - the best Christmas themed game of all time? Or what's your fav?

VGEsoterica

I will start by saying this is intended to be a quasi-joke post. It's not that I don't firmly believe Blue Stinger is a Christmas themed game and for me it's one of the best...but all the same it's just intended for some light December 1st fun.

I remember getting Blue Stinger under the tree for Christmas 1999. Which is weird to think about...Blue Stinger is old enough to drink and that makes me feel really old considering the next year (2000) I'd get my license.

So what makes it a Christmas game you ask? Well that's easy. It takes place in large parts in Christmas themed areas complete with decorations and posters of Santa, snowmen, Christmas Trees and other holiday trappings. Add on top of that a very jaunty Christmas tune to listen to while killing mutated zombie like humans and...total Christmas experience.

The big question though...is Blue Stinger any good? Well you certainly won't see it appearing on any "Top 10 Best Dreamcast Games" lists any time soon but just like Illbleed (made by the same people) it has a certain charm and weirdness to it that cannot be denies and makes the game way more entertaining than it probably has any right to be. It's a personal favorite of mine even if I can identify the fact its just a "decent" game.

The people behind Blue Stinger even referenced Die Hard as inspiration for wanting to make a "holiday action game"...so that pretty much seals the deal for me.

New genre; "holiday survival horror"...only thing it's missing is a family arguement in the game somewhere :)

But what are your Christmas games of choice? I can't be the only one with odd tastes in gaming during the holidays! And I need some new stuff to play!

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

So you can see the Christmas glory : mods if the link is an issue i'll just delete it. Don't lock the thread...I need to hear peoples christmas recommendations :)

KMNnqvD.jpg

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
I will start by saying this is intended to be a quasi-joke post. It's not that I don't firmly believe Blue Stinger is a Christmas themed game and for me it's one of the best...but all the same it's just intended for some light December 1st fun.

I remember getting Blue Stinger under the tree for Christmas 1999. Which is weird to think about...Blue Stinger is old enough to drink and that makes me feel really old considering the next year (2000) I'd get my license.

So what makes it a Christmas game you ask? Well that's easy. It takes place in large parts in Christmas themed areas complete with decorations and posters of Santa, snowmen, Christmas Trees and other holiday trappings. Add on top of that a very jaunty Christmas tune to listen to while killing mutated zombie like humans and...total Christmas experience.

The big question though...is Blue Stinger any good? Well you certainly won't see it appearing on any "Top 10 Best Dreamcast Games" lists any time soon but just like Illbleed (made by the same people) it has a certain charm and weirdness to it that cannot be denies and makes the game way more entertaining than it probably has any right to be. It's a personal favorite of mine even if I can identify the fact its just a "decent" game.

The people behind Blue Stinger even referenced Die Hard as inspiration for wanting to make a "holiday action game"...so that pretty much seals the deal for me.

New genre; "holiday survival horror"...only thing it's missing is a family arguement in the game somewhere :)

But what are your Christmas games of choice? I can't be the only one with odd tastes in gaming during the holidays! And I need some new stuff to play!
Memories... I remember Blue Stinger in my Dreamcast days, japanese version so I had no idea of what to do, and that's the reason why I never finished that game. They sold BS ad a ResidentEvil-like game, but in reality it was an action game.

ksdixon

oh god that xmas music loop. burned into my brain.
i remember getting to the unfrozen dinosaur and it kicking my ass.
wonder if the game is worth revisiting or not.... hmmm...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I actually kind of agree that Blue Stinger is a Christmas-y game. Partially because I got it at Best Buy on Black Friday for like $10 and was playing it at precisely the right time. I can still hear that godawful music.

Also, the way the camera follows your character makes me kind of motion sick. Always kind of wanted to try the JP original with the fixed camera angles, though I'd heard those were pretty bad, too.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Yippee ki-yay!

and

Just listen to the main menu vibe. Still does it for me.

pvUdQVZ.gif

Holy arses that DHT: Die Harder music is so good, forgot about it. Thanks pal. I was trying to get this working recently, but now I'm waiting for my Sinden Lightguns to arrive.

I'm playing Miles Morales right now so I guess thats my Christmas game, but I've wrestled with Arkham Origins for years now, everytime I try it a game design choice or bug annoys me and makes me think "I don't want to sully this series, I'll just enjoy the 3 main games and be happy" lol but I played Batman Arkam Origins: Blackgate last year and it was flawed but a great game.

TL;DR - You've inspired me to try a Christmas game I've been putting off for years... after I beat Arkham City again first... lol

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Lawsuit
I rented that a few times back in the day as a kid. Oddly I haven't added it to my collection as an adult. Def going on the list! Thanks for reminding me James Pond was a thing lol

I used to love it on my Amiga 500, how did they get away with this one though :messenger_tears_of_joy::

Carna

Banned
You get Christmas themed occasiontions and outfits, when you set your dreamcast to Christmas time in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2

VGEsoterica

Holy arses that DHT: Die Harder music is so good, forgot about it. Thanks pal. I was trying to get this working recently, but now I'm waiting for my Sinden Lightguns to arrive.

I'm playing Miles Morales right now so I guess thats my Christmas game, but I've wrestled with Arkham Origins for years now, everytime I try it a game design choice or bug annoys me and makes me think "I don't want to sully this series, I'll just enjoy the 3 main games and be happy" lol but I played Batman Arkam Origins: Blackgate last year and it was flawed but a great game.

TL;DR - You've inspired me to try a Christmas game I've been putting off for years... after I beat Arkham City again first... lol

I really need to pick a Sinden up sometime soon

Bluecondor

The Division is set in New York City a few months after Christmas in the dead of winter. But - the story is based on a killer virus hitting New York during the Christmas season - which has numerous scenes of abandoned Christmas decorations in iconic NYC locations:

jonathan-lauf-basketlight-01.jpg

Last edited:

Warablo

The Division 1 for me.

Ubisoft is onto something with the series but somehow misses the mark barely with their updates/balance and content.
4E9C0EB3901B19881C2DDB4BA06D46E5991BE5A8
Tom-Clancys-The-Division-Beta2016-2-19-11-36-30.jpg

thedivision_14.jpg

Bully has a place because of Christmas and Halloween stuff.

Last edited:
Blue Stinger is an amazing Christmas game and in keeping with the DC I always live to play this level in Pen Pen over Christmas , the ending to the stage is fab with the music and falling snow

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I plan on getting Collection of Mana at some point maybe hopefully before Christmas and this sonnabitch appears in Secret of Mana.

nfTjwbK.jpg

Shenmue.

I remember all the Town with snow and Santa music and decorations on day 24dec on Ryo's calendar. And i was playing on that day. Memorable...I'll never forget :'(

SkylineRKR

Xmas Nights is my number one of all time.

Parasite Eve and Blue Stinger are up there. D2 is another one, It counted the days left until the new millenium kicked off.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

The Division 1 for me.

Ubisoft is onto something with the series but somehow misses the mark barely with their updates/balance and content.
4E9C0EB3901B19881C2DDB4BA06D46E5991BE5A8
Tom-Clancys-The-Division-Beta2016-2-19-11-36-30.jpg

thedivision_14.jpg

Bully has a place because of Christmas and Halloween stuff.

I need to play the Division at some point. I had very little free time when it released so I consciously didn't pick it up

wolywood

Shenmue (the first one) takes place around Christmas and the music, lights and decorations definitely reflect that. You can even spot a drunk Santa stumbling around the streets of Dobuita.

Last edited:
Top Bottom